Sonic Logic joins AB3 Midi bus

edited May 19 in General

This is great, build a Control Surface on the AB3 Midi bus!

«13

Comments

  • @Ocsprey said:
    This is great, build a Control Surface on the AB3 Midi bus!

    This actually looks like it could be big. Anyone know if it's possible to build cliplaunch surfaces I'm it?

  • @Littlewoodg said:

    @Ocsprey said:
    This is great, build a Control Surface on the AB3 Midi bus!

    This actually looks like it could be big. Anyone know if it's possible to build cliplaunch surfaces I'm it?

    Sure, here's a screen grab of some of the Pad options. I like it as I find it quicker than any other template builders.

  • edited May 19

    Just bought this and tried it as AB3 midi sender. Doesn't seem to work. I can get it to send data outside of AB3 but the AB3 midi is the only reason I bought it. Hmmm :( am I not doing something correctly?

  • @adfa said:
    Just bought this and tried it as AB3 midi sender. Doesn't seem to work. I can get it to send data outside of AB3 but the AB3 midi is the only reason I bought it. Hmmm :( am I not doing something correctly?

    Is the little square w/ the AB icon lighting up green when you use one of the buttons etc? It's working for me, tho only done some initial tests.


  • My favorite AB3 MIDI apps are the iConnect and Pc/Mac!

  • Latest AB3 and iOS update. SL in midi input slot. Animoog, for example, in the midi output slot. Little AB3 data indicator flashes in SL when note button on SL preset keyboard is pressed. No sound from Animoog. Animoog producing audio straight from Animoog.
    Hmmm again

  • Hi everyone! Thanks for supporting Sonic Logic, I'm very excited to bring it to the Audiobus platform...
    Thank you for reporting this issue , I fixed it and submitted version 2.2.1 to Apple.
    I've also requested an expedited review, if Apple approves it the fix should be in the app store in a matter or hours, if not it may take a day or two.
    Sorry for the inconvenience...

  • @Uri_Sonic_Logic said:
    Hi everyone! Thanks for supporting Sonic Logic, I'm very excited to bring it to the Audiobus platform...
    Thank you for reporting this issue , I fixed it and submitted version 2.2.1 to Apple.
    I've also requested an expedited review, if Apple approves it the fix should be in the app store in a matter or hours, if not it may take a day or two.
    Sorry for the inconvenience...

    Thanks for getting back w/ me @Uri_Sonic_Logic - look forward to the update!

  • @Ocsprey @Uri_Sonic_Logic I think the average idiot (self) could do with a bit more of an overview. I do like your mention that it's easier to use than previous template builders....

  • Okay - after doing more testing, I'm now at least able to assign MIDI controls from Sonic Logic to other apps. However, as mentioned above - the messages are being truncated, so when I adjust a knob in SL, for example, it's picked up by Mood - but the range is inaccurate. I believe this issue is what's fixed in the coming update.

    @JohnnyGoodyear Will write more here in a few hours, gotta cut the grass before the lions move in :) Briefly though, with Sonic Logic you just open up a blank template, then you can add any number of Pads, Faders, Knobs, and X/Y Pads.

    Knobs, for example, can be assigned controller numbers, Midi Channels, and Ranges (0-127, 127-0). They can be set up to Snap to Middle, or with a Sideways Indicator for apps using that format. You can Label them, change colors for the knob/Value/Text, and there's a handy Broadcast icon to use for testing, or Assigning the Knob to its destination. You can also duplicate knobs/screens quickly, Duplicating their MIDI values, or Not. (All these behaviors transfer to Buttons/Faders etc as well).

    If you use a Mac - there's an app called Central on the SL webpage, that allows for a USB or Bluetooth MIDI connection - although I haven't found it necessary as in my case the ports already show up without using Central. Central isn't for PC, but PC Connections can be done w/out it as well.

    You can save/share your layout presets via "Open In" options.

    All the Control Surface elements can be sized and placed as you like, and you can make multiple screens if you like. If you have a 12.9 there's a special Layout for that size, otherwise the standard works on the 9.7 or 7.9".

    That's the super fast intro - LMK if other Q's - will be back later~

  • @Ocsprey said:
    Okay - after doing more testing, I'm now at least able to assign MIDI controls from Sonic Logic to other apps. However, as mentioned above - the messages are being truncated, so when I adjust a knob in SL, for example, it's picked up by Mood - but the range is inaccurate. I believe this issue is what's fixed in the coming update.

    @JohnnyGoodyear Will write more here in a few hours, gotta cut the grass before the lions move in :) Briefly though, with Sonic Logic you just open up a blank template, then you can add any number of Pads, Faders, Knobs, and X/Y Pads.

    Knobs, for example, can be assigned controller numbers, Midi Channels, and Ranges (0-127, 127-0). They can be set up to Snap to Middle, or with a Sideways Indicator for apps using that format. You can Label them, change colors for the knob/Value/Text, and there's a handy Broadcast icon to use for testing, or Assigning the Knob to its destination. You can also duplicate knobs/screens quickly, Duplicating their MIDI values, or Not. (All these behaviors transfer to Buttons/Faders etc as well).

    If you use a Mac - there's an app called Central on the SL webpage, that allows for a USB or Bluetooth MIDI connection - although I haven't found it necessary as in my case the ports already show up without using Central. Central isn't for PC, but PC Connections can be done w/out it as well.

    You can save/share your layout presets via "Open In" options.

    All the Control Surface elements can be sized and placed as you like, and you can make multiple screens if you like. If you have a 12.9 there's a special Layout for that size, otherwise the standard works on the 9.7 or 7.9".

    That's the super fast intro - LMK if other Q's - will be back later~

    Brilliant. I have copied this into my 'Homework Ledger' and will study it later after my sundry duties are done. Trust you were victorious viz the lions....

  • @Uri_Sonic_Logic said:
    Hi everyone! Thanks for supporting Sonic Logic, I'm very excited to bring it to the Audiobus platform...
    Thank you for reporting this issue , I fixed it and submitted version 2.2.1 to Apple.
    I've also requested an expedited review, if Apple approves it the fix should be in the app store in a matter or hours, if not it may take a day or two.
    Sorry for the inconvenience...

    Good to hear. Looking forward to playing with this some. Please feel free to go ahead and make a 'Video For The Willing but Slow' :)

  • Good news! Version 2.2.1 is out which should solve this issue :) It might take some time for Apple to update it's servers but it has been approved. @adfa
    Wow @Ocsprey you couldn't have described it better :) Thanks for the detailed explanation.
    BTW, the vast majority of Sonic Logic's features came from users and I would love to hear if it's missing something so feel free to contact me with any request you might have for it.
    Cheers,
    Uri.

  • @Uri_Sonic_Logic said:
    Good news! Version 2.2.1 is out which should solve this issue :) It might take some time for Apple to update it's servers but it has been approved. @adfa
    Wow @Ocsprey you couldn't have described it better :) Thanks for the detailed explanation.
    BTW, the vast majority of Sonic Logic's features came from users and I would love to hear if it's missing something so feel free to contact me with any request you might have for it.
    Cheers,
    Uri.

    @Uri_Sonic_Logic Thx! I would love to see some handy Program Change Buttons, 14 bit NRPN, and maybe MPE. I don't know if technically possible, but akin to Program Change would be switching presets on AuV3's. Any of these possible?

  • @Ocsprey said:

    @Uri_Sonic_Logic said:
    Good news! Version 2.2.1 is out which should solve this issue :) It might take some time for Apple to update it's servers but it has been approved. @adfa
    Wow @Ocsprey you couldn't have described it better :) Thanks for the detailed explanation.
    BTW, the vast majority of Sonic Logic's features came from users and I would love to hear if it's missing something so feel free to contact me with any request you might have for it.
    Cheers,
    Uri.

    @Uri_Sonic_Logic Thx! I would love to see some handy Program Change Buttons, 14 bit NRPN, and maybe MPE. I don't know if technically possible, but akin to Program Change would be switching presets on AuV3's. Any of these possible?

    A few more ideas:

    1. Assign multiple sources per controller (pad knob etc), via individual channels.
    2. Endless encoder knob with led/value indicators.
    3. On the Pads it would be nice to have a tap-hold option with a vertical semi-translucent fader - to assign, for example, LFO's to trigger. Nice to be able to offset/invert the range of the pad-fader. So too for Knobs, which could have color rings to indicate range/values of assigned parameters.
    4. Similar to time Timed Transition Button - a timed transition button to chain together controllers would be nice. This would allowing triggering sequences/programs/fx chains etc. Saving transitions as presets.
    5. Along with the current ways of assigning controllers to apps etc., it would be nice to select from available MIDI ports/surfaces when making controller assignments. Given the amount of switching of apps and workflow - being able to have some pages of very common controller (functions), then being able to Select their assignments Globally/individually by available Midi receivers would be very useful utility for me.
    6. It's still a bit kludgy to toggle back and forth to make Midi assignments when an app is in Midi-learn mode. It would be nice to have split/screen option to make assignments while viewing the other app. Along with editing, this could be useful for performance, as you'd be able to adjust/assign parameters at any time when toggling between apps, which is also fast for making multi-assignments to a controller (presuming that's possible from above).

    Thx for considering

  • @Uri_Sonic_Logic said:
    Good news! Version 2.2.1 is out which should solve this issue :) It might take some time for Apple to update it's servers but it has been approved. @adfa
    Wow @Ocsprey you couldn't have described it better :) Thanks for the detailed explanation.
    BTW, the vast majority of Sonic Logic's features came from users and I would love to hear if it's missing something so feel free to contact me with any request you might have for it.
    Cheers,
    Uri.

    Very fast Uri. Thank u.
    Yes. Def split screen. Then I can visually check the cc assignment is doing what I want.

  • edited May 20

    Welcome and congrats on the release @Uri_Sonic_Logic.

    Assign multiple sources per controller (pad knob etc), via individual channels.

    MIDI Designer does the same via "Super controls" where that control can be pointed at one or more internal sliders/knobs. Works well and doesn't overload the individual control UIs (though, in said app, it is already overloaded!). Would welcome Sonic Logic's clean UI take on this feature.

  • @syrupcore said:
    Welcome and congrats on the release @Uri_Sonic_Logic.

    Assign multiple sources per controller (pad knob etc), via individual channels.

    MIDI Designer does the same via "Super controls" where that control can be pointed at one or more internal sliders/knobs. Works well and doesn't overload the individual control UIs (though, in said app, it is already overloaded!). Would welcome Sonic Logic's clean UI take on this feature.

    Exactly! I'm a big fan of Midi Designer - especially the dev is really involved and all about it, good community. I wish there were more iOS templates - but like @syrupcore mentioned, the clean UI can get up and running with maps in minutes without ado.

  • The fix has dropped (as the kids say etc).

  • @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    The fix has dropped (as the kids say etc).

    OT: But I'm really obsessed with the drop in this Four Tet Remix of Todd Terje's Jungelknugen: https://soundcloud.com/toddterje/jungelknugen-four-tet-remix

  • rcfrcf
    edited May 21

    @Uri_Sonic_Logic said:
    BTW, the vast majority of Sonic Logic's features came from users and I would love to hear if it's missing something so feel free to contact me with any request you might have for it.
    Cheers,
    Uri.

    Please can we have much longer timed midi transitions, up to 20 seconds, then I can perform slow button triggered auto crossfades in AUM?

  • Wow great ideas! Thanks for this guys... Here's my answer about these:

    1. Multi MIDI destination components - it's a major feature on the SL pipeline, most of the backend changes in version 2.0 and 2.1 where done to support this (it's kind of tricky implementing Multi MIDI destination via Bluetooth because of the super low amount of information that can be transferred without latency). So it will happen, I don;'t know at what version yet. Knob lab already supports this.

    2. Split screen - Unfortunately I Can’t see this happening in the near future - split screen requires Sonic Logic to work in iPhone mode, which at the moment its a UI problem I havn’t solved yet…

    3. Longer timed transitions (up to 20 secs) - will happen in version 2.3, which is 80% done.

    4. Endless knobs - will happen, Knob Lab already supports this.

    5. XP pad tap to hold extra dimension controls - great idea! I'm not sure about the gesture though, it might be difficult to differentiate between a tap and pan and an over enthusiastic pan. I'm thinking about exploring this with two finger pan for another 2 dimensions.

    6. Times transition chains - Wow, great idea but it would be tough on the UI side. I'll give it some thought.

    7. Individual MIDI assignments to MIDI destinations - Hmmm... this is probably easier without Audiobus :) I don't see an API allowing me to select the MIDI destination when connected to Audiobus - I'll explore this further.

    8. Program change - can do.

    9. MPRN & MPE - its hard for me to see how MPE will incorporate or how I'll test it NPRN might happen it's not a technical issue but more a UI issue.

    Thanks for all your feedback! Keep the good ideas coming :)

    @Ocsprey @rcf @syrupcore @adfa

  • @Uri_Sonic_Logic , really nice looking controller :)
    Can you assign buttons to increase/decrease in a select number of steps?
    Can buttons be toggle or momentary?
    For example if I need to assign a button to scroll through 5 waves in an oscillator. Easy?
    How about saving, loading templates? Easy?
    Manual? Or it's so simple it's not necessary?
    Thanks

  • @soundklinik said:
    @Uri_Sonic_Logic , really nice looking controller :)
    Can you assign buttons to increase/decrease in a select number of steps?
    For example if I need to assign a button to scroll through 5 waves in an oscillator. Easy?

    Wondering the same. And can those steps be defined explicitly? Or can the intervals be set? Example use/test case based on soundklinik question: Sunrizer allows you to map a CC to its OSC waveform selector. It only has 4 waveforms. With a normal hardware knob mapped from CC0-CC127, you have to crank it a bunch to move through each waveform. In a MIDI control app, a 0-127 slider can be too 'loose'. The ability to set a slider to send 0, 42, 84, 127 (or a button to step through those values) is a lovely, helpful thing. Bonus with the button version: can send a sequence of notes, like a drone bassline or arpeggiator root by setting it up with note values.

    I've seen it done in two ways. First is explicit: set each step value. Second is mathier: set the low val, high val and the number of intervals between each. The latter generally works but for situations where the total number of target values isn't evenly divisible into 128, it can be wonky.

  • @syrupcore said:

    @soundklinik said:
    @Uri_Sonic_Logic , really nice looking controller :)
    Can you assign buttons to increase/decrease in a select number of steps?
    For example if I need to assign a button to scroll through 5 waves in an oscillator. Easy?

    Wondering the same. And can those steps be defined explicitly? Or can the intervals be set? Example use/test case based on soundklinik question: Sunrizer allows you to map a CC to its OSC waveform selector. It only has 4 waveforms. With a normal hardware knob mapped from CC0-CC127, you have to crank it a bunch to move through each waveform. In a MIDI control app, a 0-127 slider can be too 'loose'. The ability to set a slider to send 0, 42, 84, 127 (or a button to step through those values) is a lovely, helpful thing. Bonus with the button version: can send a sequence of notes, like a drone bassline or arpeggiator root by setting it up with note values.

    I've seen it done in two ways. First is explicit: set each step value. Second is mathier: set the low val, high val and the number of intervals between each. The latter generally works but for situations where the total number of target values isn't evenly divisible into 128, it can be wonky.

    I think it is harder to have a button assigned to big jumps. The only editor I know is Mark van der Bergs BCR2000 editor. Really elegant. Can do anything.

    In normal situations the stepping through with a button should be done in 4 clicks, as in your example of Sunrizer. Low 0, high 3.
    But I have also stumbled on rare synth where the 4 clicks were split into 127 by 42s...
    Plus with a button you don't loose pots...for simple assignments.

    Also how simple is it to make/save/load templates?...If this app is so simple and fast like the 20 second videos.... I will gladly ditch MIDI Designer Pro that really gets on my nerves.

  • @soundklinik said:

    @syrupcore said:

    @soundklinik said:
    @Uri_Sonic_Logic , really nice looking controller :)
    Can you assign buttons to increase/decrease in a select number of steps?
    For example if I need to assign a button to scroll through 5 waves in an oscillator. Easy?

    Wondering the same. And can those steps be defined explicitly? Or can the intervals be set? Example use/test case based on soundklinik question: Sunrizer allows you to map a CC to its OSC waveform selector. It only has 4 waveforms. With a normal hardware knob mapped from CC0-CC127, you have to crank it a bunch to move through each waveform. In a MIDI control app, a 0-127 slider can be too 'loose'. The ability to set a slider to send 0, 42, 84, 127 (or a button to step through those values) is a lovely, helpful thing. Bonus with the button version: can send a sequence of notes, like a drone bassline or arpeggiator root by setting it up with note values.

    I've seen it done in two ways. First is explicit: set each step value. Second is mathier: set the low val, high val and the number of intervals between each. The latter generally works but for situations where the total number of target values isn't evenly divisible into 128, it can be wonky.

    I think it is harder to have a button assigned to big jumps. The only editor I know is Mark van der Bergs BCR2000 editor. Really elegant. Can do anything.

    In normal situations the stepping through with a button should be done in 4 clicks, as in your example of Sunrizer. Low 0, high 3.
    But I have also stumbled on rare synth where the 4 clicks were split into 127 by 42s...
    Plus with a button you don't loose pots...for simple assignments.

    Also how simple is it to make/save/load templates?...If this app is so simple and fast like the 20 second videos.... I will gladly ditch MIDI Designer Pro that really gets on my nerves.

    It's that simple, and you can duplicate any element with or without its particulars. For buttons you can make a timed transition button with adjustable in .1 second increments up to 2 seconds for both On and Off. But I think for the advanced timings you mention that Parat+ would be the way to go.

  • Need. Sesame Street. Video. Teaching. Intro. Tute. Simple. Helping. Etc.

  • @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    Need. Sesame Street. Video. Teaching. Intro. Tute. Simple. Helping. Etc.

    You and me both, good sir. Mrs. Eustressor was very generous on my birthday, so, for once I actually have money to toss at some kind of MIDI-maker-thingie.

    Except I think I only understood 40% of the above conversation ...

  • @eustressor said:

    @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    Need. Sesame Street. Video. Teaching. Intro. Tute. Simple. Helping. Etc.

    You and me both, good sir. Mrs. Eustressor was very generous on my birthday, so, for once I actually have money to toss at some kind of MIDI-maker-thingie.

    Except I think I only understood 40% of the above conversation ...

    I was at about 20% (which sounds right, you're at least twice as smart as me), but then I bought the thing and am now hovering in the early teens....need a walk through more bad than a toddler in a booby-trapped knife factory etc.

Sign In or Register to comment.