Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

"Tap to fix" with ICA4+, Apogee Quartet

Comments

• edited May 2017

Great, thanks for that. Okay, we are getting our hands on an iCA4+, and will do some debugging.

@Harro said:
    Is it by design that when I choose a system input for INPUT (in my case sys 1 from the iCA4+) that the 'default' OUTPUT port is NOT automaticaly choosen by AB3 (showing the small loudspeaker icon)?

It is indeed: otherwise there's the risk of feedback.

Also I noticed a small bug: On the MIDI page of AB3 a (abreviated) port name and the midi channel number are shown on the midi INPUT icon, but on the AUDIO page the icon for a system input port shows nothing (should be 'sys 1', etc.

Ah cheers for letting me know, will sort that out

• @OscarSouth said:
    @Michael is there any way for me to send this info without needing to configure apple's mail app? I don't use these iPads for any non performance related tasks so I've never set it up

If you are on our TestFlight testers list, you can use TestFlight to send feedback without configuring an email.

• @Harro

Is it by design that when I choose a system input for INPUT (in my case sys 1 from the iCA4+) that the 'default' OUTPUT port is NOT automaticaly choosen by AB3 (showing the small loudspeaker icon)?

Yea, thats design. This should prevent unwanted feedback loops. If a microphone is connected to input sys1 and a speaker to sys1 out, you will hear a feedback.

• edited May 2017

@Harro

Also I noticed a small bug: On the MIDI page of AB3 a (abreviated) port name and the midi channel number are shown on the midi INPUT icon, but on the AUDIO page the icon for a system input port shows nothing (should be 'sys 1', etc.

Audiobus does assign labels to the input icon, but only for the second, third port etc. The first system input port is taken as default port and gets no label currently.

• @gatzsche said:
    @Harro

Yea, thats design. This should prevent unwanted feedback loops. If a microphone is connected to input sys1 and a speaker to sys1 out, you will hear a feedback.

Thank you @gatzsche, but with a microphone in sys1 I would wear headphones! And if I didn't then I get feedback also after **manually **selecting system out (to speakers) in OUTPUT.
    But I'll get used to this AB3 design-decision...

• @OscarSouth said:
    I've not yet had one app load successfully with iCA4+.

@OscarSouth, @Kymátika: Does AUM load the apps that are not loading within Audiobus while you have attached the iCA4+?

• edited May 2017

@gatzsche said:

@OscarSouth said:
    I've not yet had one app load successfully with iCA4+.

@OscarSouth, @Kymátika: Does AUM load the apps that are not loading within Audiobus while you have attached the iCA4+?

As IAA? Yeah although using AB2 into AUM I find I get better overall stability on a few specific ones (off the top of my head, Samplr and Modstep are the only two I could name).

• Here's a thought, @OscarSouth: I wonder if you wouldn't mind reproducing the issue while a console monitor is open on your desktop? There is a Mac and PC app called iOS Console by Lemonjar which you can open on your Mac and then plug the device in via Lightning - it'll show you the contents of the system console on the iOS device. Maybe reproduce the issue, and then email us the log?

• @michael. Pretty much every app that fails in ab3 loads fine in AUM when the Ica4+ is connected. Wierdly enough even ab2 loads without much issue. It's specifically a ab3 issue.

• Which apps are the ones people are having most issues with? It does seem weirdly inconsistent. Tonestack seems to work fine for me with iCa4 and ab3.

• Also, a bit OT but how successful is the clear session in killing background apps? I just cleared an AB session, but then if I start AUM, I can see that the apps ports are still visible. So does that mean they are cleared from AB but still open in the background of the iPad?

• @Michael said:
    Here's a thought, @OscarSouth: I wonder if you wouldn't mind reproducing the issue while a console monitor is open on your desktop? There is a Mac and PC app called iOS Console by Lemonjar which you can open on your Mac and then plug the device in via Lightning - it'll show you the contents of the system console on the iOS device. Maybe reproduce the issue, and then email us the log?

I can definitely do this but it'll have to wait until at least a week from now. Am at the start of a ridiculously hectic week of gigging.

• Fair enough! Thanks, @OscarSouth

• @Carnbot Ah, @gatzsche may correct me here (I wasn't involved in its creation so I'm guessing) but I think clear session doesn't kill the apps, just disconnects them. So they should simply go dormant in the background.

Their appearance in other IAA hosts like AUM is unrelated to the apps being active though - those entries are visible whether or not the apps are running

• edited May 2017

@Michael said:
    Fair enough! Thanks, @OscarSouth

Out last night on a session using iOS stuff, adding in electronic/sampled elements (and a bit of pad drumming) for BIMM Dublin's end of term public concert.

Was using Loopy for MIDI tap tempo!

• Way cool! Haha! Loopy: glorified clock :-)

• @OscarSouth said:

@Michael said:
    Here's a thought, @OscarSouth: I wonder if you wouldn't mind reproducing the issue while a console monitor is open on your desktop? There is a Mac and PC app called iOS Console by Lemonjar which you can open on your Mac and then plug the device in via Lightning - it'll show you the contents of the system console on the iOS device. Maybe reproduce the issue, and then email us the log?

I can definitely do this but it'll have to wait until at least a week from now. Am at the start of a ridiculously hectic week of gigging.

Unfortunately its not possible to connect the iPad to a Mac wile an audio interface is connected. We need to find a way to get the console log in a different way.

• @gatzsche said:

@OscarSouth said:

@Michael said:

Unfortunately its not possible to connect the iPad to a Mac wile an audio interface is connected. We need to find a way to get the console log in a different way.

Pretty sure he meant that for us Ica4+ users since we can connect a PC/Mac and an iOS device simultaneously.

• @gonekrazy3000 said:

@gatzsche said:

@OscarSouth said:

@Michael said:

Pretty sure he meant that for us Ica4+ users since we can connect a PC/Mac and an iOS device simultaneously.

It would be so cool, if that would work. But I didn't get it work. Had connected both, my Mac as well the iCA4+ and either Xcode nor iOS console didn't recognize my iPad. Do you have an idea how I make this work?

• @gatzsche Sadly I'm on windows so can't actually test myself.

• edited May 2017

To all having issues with the iCA4+, what Firmware do you have installed on your device? To find out, download iConfig Control Software.

My iCA4+ has firmware version 1.1.0.

• @gonekrazy3000 said:
    @gatzsche Sadly I'm on windows so can't actually test myself.

iConfig can be downloaded for windows also

• @gatzsche said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:
    @gatzsche Sadly I'm on windows so can't actually test myself.

iConfig can be downloaded for windows also

Sorry, I was in the wrong thread. Forget the message above.

• @gatzsche said:
    To all having issues with the iCA4+, what Firmware do you have installed on your device? To find out, download iConfig Control Software.

My iCA4+ has firmware version 1.1.0.

pretty much everyone is on firmware 1.1.0

• edited May 2017

Hy all,

we were just able to reproduce the issue. Thanks to all the input from you guys. Here is how I was able to reproduce the issue:

1. Setup iCA4+ to 48.000kHz using iConfig Control Software
    2. Reboot my iPad
    3. Connect iCA4+
    4. Open Audiobus
    5. Add Animoog as Audio Input -> Animoog is not launching!

We are going to address this issue with the next update.

Until there, you could at least setup your iCA4+ or other devices to 44.100kHz/16Bit.

Gabriel

• @gatzsche said:
    Hy all,

we were just able to reproduce the issue. Thanks to all the input from you guys. Here is how I was able to reproduce the issue:

2. Reboot my iPad
    3. Connect iCA4+
    4. Open Audiobus

Until there, you could at least setup your iCA4+ or other devices to 44.100kHz/16Bit.

Gabriel

Sorry to throw in a curveball, but I've never run my equipment in anything but 44.1/16 (for optimum file size and processor use to audio quality in a live environment)

• edited May 2017

@OscarSouth said:

@gatzsche said:
    Hy all,

2. Reboot my iPad
    3. Connect iCA4+
    4. Open Audiobus

Gabriel

Sorry to throw in a curveball, but I've never run my equipment in anything but 44.1/16 (for optimum file size and processor use to audio quality in a live environment)

I'm on 44.1/16 as well...

• edited May 2017
  • edited May 2017

@OscarSouth @Munibeast : Could PM me your iCA4+ configuration by saving a preset in iConfig?

• @gatzsche said:
    @OscarSouth @Munibeast : Could PM me your iCA4+ configuration by saving a preset in iConfig?

I'll get it done in the next few days