Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Korg nanoKey Studio wired connection to an iPad?

What's the best way to make a wired connection from the Korg nanoKey Studio to an iPad?

I'm not really liking the Bluetooth connection, and the wired is much better (I'm using it with Logic Pro X as well).

It's got a standard USB connection, one that works great with a desktop (not quite plug and play, but just needs a Korg USB driver).

Any help is appreciated.

Comments

• Or maybe the question should be:

Is there a way to make a wired connection from the nanoKey Studio to an iPad?

• @1P18 said:
    Or maybe the question should be:

Is there a way to make a wired connection from the nanoKey Studio to an iPad?

Would be interested in thoughts on this also...

• IPad -> camera connection kit -> powered USB Hub uplink
    NanoKEY Studio -> USB hub

Done.

• I forgot that it needs to be powered. Then I wonder if MIDI can even be sent when connected (desktop requires a driver). I think maybe it's simply not made to be connected through the cable to an iPad.

• wimwim
    edited May 2017

@1P18 said:

I forgot that it needs to be powered. Then I wonder if MIDI can even be sent when connected (desktop requires a driver). I think maybe it's simply not made to be connected through the cable to an iPad.

Nope. It works fine. No driver, bribes, workarounds, incantations, fasting, prayer, phases of the moon, astrological confluences, or anything else needed. Just plug it in.

Shocking. I know.

• @wim said:
    Shocking. I know.

Not really. Good to hear it works though. I found a small device on Korg's website that connect MIDI to the iPad, but it has a MIDI input and not a USB input, and even has a way to still power the iPad. Seems like the nanoKey Studio really was built with portability in mind though.

• plug both into the mac and use studiomux?

• Easiest way is to plug the nanoKey Studio into power (select USB) and then use Bluetooth. This works great for Gadget and Auria, and you don't have to worry about batteries or powered hubs.

• Hafta to pipe up and say I've had a few other small keyboard objects but this Nanokey thingie is my favorite by some distance. BT works perfectly and I'm amazed at how much of a difference it makes (it's my first time Nurse).

• Yeh, I'm slightly puzzled that the Bluetooth connection isn't satisfactory. Works great here. No complaints at all, and I can't notice any difference in latency whatever between wired and Bluetooth.

As for Korg not designing it to be able to be powered directly from the iPad, very unfortunate. Even my big 'ol Oxygen 8v2 can run off the iPad power direct.

• edited May 2017

@wim said:
    Yeh, I'm slightly puzzled that the Bluetooth connection isn't satisfactory. Works great here. No complaints at all, and I can't notice any difference in latency whatever between wired and Bluetooth.

As for Korg not designing it to be able to be powered directly from the iPad, very unfortunate. Even my big 'ol Oxygen 8v2 can run off the iPad power direct.

Don't want to get too off topic, but I must add that -by accident- I ended up AU-ing Phonem with it and twirling the knobs (which seemed all set up and ready to go) was/is very stimulating.

• @wim said:
    Yeh, I'm slightly puzzled that the Bluetooth connection isn't satisfactory. Works great here. No complaints at all, and I can't notice any difference in latency whatever between wired and Bluetooth.

It's not bad, but noticeable at times, to me at least.

@JohnnyGoodyear said:
    Hafta to pipe up and say I've had a few other small keyboard objects but this Nanokey thingie is my favorite by some distance.

It's my first controller, and I am more than pleased with it. It's a lot smaller overall than I thought it would be (that's a good thing as far as I'm concerned) and it has more features than I realized. Yeah, the main keys are sort of clicky and unusual, but I'm still liking it a lot.

• wimwim
    edited May 2017

@1P18 said:

@wim said:

You may find the same when you connect wired. Latency can come from many sources. Latency over Bluetooth to PC can be worse (or better) on a desktop than on the iPad. Time will tell.

I notice latency as well, wired or not, my point was I can't see any difference between the latency wired vs. Bluetooth.

• @wim said:

@1P18 said:

@wim said:

You may find the same when you connect wired. Latency can come from many sources. Latency over Bluetooth to PC can be worse (or better) on a desktop than on the iPad. Time will tell.

I notice latency as well, wired or not, my point was I can't see any difference between the latency wired vs. Bluetooth.

Haven't come across any degree of it that files my nails, but I do play awful slow....

• Hey, I was just trying to use my nanoKey Studio hooked up via wired USB, ie. nanoKey into powered USB hub, plugged into CCK to iPad Pro 10.5 iOS 14.6... and it no longer works. This used to work without hassle. It still works via bluetooth.

Yes, I updated the last Korg nanoKey firmware from 2019

Then, I tried to see if it would work on my mini M1. Didn't work. Wouldn't play any of my synths or with Logic.

This used to be easy-peasy plug-n-play.

Then, I did a search and found a Korg reply to someone else that said they should try different usb cables... preferably the one that came with it.

Since I have no idea where the one that came with it is... I just tried a heavier duty one that I use to charge a reMarkable tablet.

Bingo! Works perfectly wired now... on iPad and desktop.

What's weird is that the other cable that didn't work... works fine on other devices. Just not the nanoKey.

I'm only passing this on in case someone else has the same problem they can hopefully avoid the last 2hrs I just wasted troubleshooting this. ;)

• @skiphunt said:
    What's weird is that the other cable that didn't work... works fine on other devices. Just not the nanoKey.

Works fine for MIDI? Or just for charging.
    Some USB cables are for charging only and don't have data lines.

• @wim said:

@skiphunt said:

I didn't try them for midi. I've got a drawer full of these (as I'm sure most do). I just grabbed one because I figured they were all essentially the same as long as they have the same connector... but, I wasn't aware that some can do data transfer and charge... and some are charging only. How can you tell the difference?

The one I'm using now that works wasn't for a midi device, it's just a charge cable for a drawing tablet... but it may have data lines too for all I know.

• wimwim
    edited June 2021

@skiphunt said:

@wim said:

@skiphunt said:

I didn't try them for midi. I've got a drawer full of these (as I'm sure most do). I just grabbed one because I figured they were all essentially the same as long as they have the same connector... but, I wasn't aware that some can do data transfer and charge... and some are charging only. How can you tell the difference?

The one I'm using now that works wasn't for a midi device, it's just a charge cable for a drawing tablet... but it may have data lines too for all I know.

I don’t think there’s any way to tell by looking at them. Trying them out is the only sure way I know of.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dignited.com/50330/usb-data-cable-vs-usb-charging-cable/amp/

• @wim said:
    IPad -> camera connection kit -> powered USB Hub uplink
    NanoKEY Studio -> USB hub

Done.

Go Apple official and you’re good, especially for Camera connection kit, and even the cable