Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

iPad Pro 12" vs 2 iPads

edited May 2017 in Other

Thinking of getting an ipad mini 2 (one ipad would be exclusevly for BM3) or selling my Air 2 and upgrade to pro 12"

What you would choose
  1. A setup with32 votes
    1. 2 x iPads
      25.00%
    2. iPad Pro 12"
      75.00%

Comments

• I would wait for the next bunch of new iPad's before deciding :)
    Personally I'm not a fan of multi-ipad setups so I'd get one with as much juice as possible.

• I have air 2 and would really really want a bigger screen. Ill most likely upgrade to new pro 12 when it comes out, mainly just because of the screen size

• @ToMess said:
    I have air 2 and would really really want a bigger screen. Ill most likely upgrade to new pro 12 when it comes out, mainly just because of the screen size

>

No idea where in the world you are, but the current iPad Pro price in the U.K. at top spec wi-fi model is over a thousand pounds. Seriously taking the piss. So Cook Alone knows what extortionate rate the new one will be.

• edited May 2017

Stability is more directly related to complexity than processor usage, so for stability and flexibility I'd say two. Run two simplified setups rather than one complexified one.

However, the Mini2 is pretty old. I use one in my setup and it'll handle any app without issue (I usually run 3-4 apps concurrently on it) but I am noticing signs of aging. I'd say get a Mini4 at least for future proofing.

• edited May 2017

I agre with those saying a Mini 2 might be too old. It is probably on the list of devices that won't do well with iOS 11. I think it is the oldest 64bit compatible device, right?

The decision between one or two device really depends on your own style and what you want to do. [i didn't vote in your poll]
    As far as raw power goes... I imagine you could do more with a 12.9 than you can with air2 + mini2. I assume ram is the bottleneck, so a 12.9 gives you 1GB extra ram.

I'm doing most everything on a 12.9 these days and very happy with it. If you are in the US you can find decent used deals on eBay if you find a reputable seller.

Then again, you could also find a mini2 on eBay for $150- 170 and have a lot of fun for a lot less cost.

• Just for reference by the way, I perform regularly using an Air2 + Mini2 and it's more than adequate. My ideal setup would be Air2 and Mini4.

F**k taking £1000+ computers out for performances when I don't even need all that extra power. With A2+M4 I can (not easily, but potentially) replace a damaged or stolen unit on short notice.

• Wait for the next gen iPad pros. Gotta be close now...

• I'd get the 10.5 inch pro to add to your air2.

• @Samu said:
    I would wait for the next bunch of new iPad's before deciding :)
    Personally I'm not a fan of multi-ipad setups so I'd get one with as much juice as possible.

I'm with @Samu. If I had to choose, like someone was giving me one or something, I'd take the iPad Pro.

But if it's my own dough, no I'd wait until the next announcement or unveiling of the Pro line, etc. There's this too. Apple remember makes millions of these devices, so there's never a shortage of deals on previous generation models if you're patient.

When I got my Air 2, which was my first Apple device, I looked through websites and ebay to familiarize myself with the iPad line. I was surprised to see how cheap Air 1's were, granted it was just given a new iteration that was more powerful, etc and many flocked to Air 2's. But there were some excellent deals on brand new Air 1's and even better deals on refurbished Air 1's.

So if the new Pro is an improvement yes, but not some blockbusting sea change that blows all previous models away, there will be plenty of 1st Gen Pro's on sale and in liquidation. Its a matter of patience and finding a great sale on one. That's the time to get a Pro, or if the new Pro is crazy powerful and you want it get one of them & you'll be able to use the money saved from prematurely buying an old model.

Hope it works be out. Or carpe diem and forget all of my advice wonking and get a new Pro 1 now...

• edited May 2017

@gonekrazy3000 said:
    I'd get the 10.5 inch pro to add to your air2.

Jajaja...Yeah just travel to the future and buy it then come back and show us the specs so we can get an exclusive preview.

• Not at all sure the next iteration of iPads will be a significant improvement. Apple can do anything they want, but thus far it would appear that making an iPad that truly rivals a laptop is not something they favour. :'(

• edited May 2017

@Zen210507 said:

@ToMess said:
    I have air 2 and would really really want a bigger screen. Ill most likely upgrade to new pro 12 when it comes out, mainly just because of the screen size

>

No idea where in the world you are, but the current iPad Pro price in the U.K. at top spec wi-fi model is over a thousand pounds. Seriously taking the piss. So Cook Alone knows what extortionate rate the new one will be.

Well i i now pay like 25€ a month for my air2, if i were to get the new pro, i might pay like 35€ a month for it. I would sell the air2 if i were to get the pro and i would be able to pay the rest of what i own for it and have some money left. So basically i would ake like 100€ and pay 10€ a month more and restart the 3 year counter on the payments. So i dont think its a biggie, especially since my phone is soon paid, so basically i wouldnt have to pay any more than i pay now per month, maybe even bit less :)

• edited May 2017

@ToMess said:

So basically i would ake like 100€ and pay 10€ a month more and restart the 3 year counter on the payments.
    >

Ah, I see we have opposed philosophies, with regard to credit. I only use it for time shifting payment.That is to say, I pay my bill in full every month. If I can't afford the item by the time I know the bill comes in, then I just don't buy.

• I always buy second hand iPads . So I may wait for the new pro 12" to come and watch for second hand older pro 12

• @Zen210507 said:

@ToMess said:

So basically i would ake like 100€ and pay 10€ a month more and restart the 3 year counter on the payments.
    >

Ah, I see we have opposed philosophies, with regard to credit. I only use it for time shifting payment.That is to say, I pay my bill in full every month. If I can't afford the item by the time I know the bill comes in, then I just don't buy.

Yea well i think it more as a rent that i pay for the ipad and then get to keep it after 3 years. I couldnt afford to buy an ipad anyways, so i think my laptop, phone and pad more as rental stuff that i can afford, even if im on social welfare. But i totally get not wanting to get big loans, but this stuff i just pay when i pay my monthly phone bill, as they are from the same company and on the same bill, along with my internet.

• A 12.9 and a mini 4 would be my recommendation :-)

• 2 ipad setup is more headscratching than one big ipad. It is also less tested territory, which tends to mean buggier. I think sync and audio passing through will be much less problematic on one big ipad. It is also simpler to record on one ipad than two. Easier to recall setups as well. Basically audiobus or AUM is the reason to make music with one, rather than two ipads. So easy to send sound from one app to another.

That being said, I use two ipads together, one for just midi, the other for audio, synths and effects. It helped to keep the sound on one.

• @Zen210507 said:

@ToMess said:

>

I'm a little confused by your post. I'm in the UK, according to the apple website the top spec 12.9 WiFi Pro with 256GB is £909. The 128GB (which is more than adequate) is £819. I agree, it certainly ain't cheap, but neither is it over a thousand pounds.

• @Processaurus said:
    2 ipad setup is more headscratching than one big ipad. It is also less tested territory, which tends to mean buggier. I think sync and audio passing through will be much less problematic on one big ipad. It is also simpler to record on one ipad than two. Easier to recall setups as well. Basically audiobus or AUM is the reason to make music with one, rather than two ipads. So easy to send sound from one app to another.

That being said, I use two ipads together, one for just midi, the other for audio, synths and effects. It helped to keep the sound on one.

I'm already using an iPad air2 and an ipad3 with my iconnectivity ICA4+. So it's not really that hard for me. Sending midi and audio between the two is a breeze once you learn how to route things on the Ica4+

• @Beathoven said:
    I'm a little confused by your post. I'm in the UK, according to the apple website the top spec 12.9 WiFi Pro with 256GB is £909. The 128GB (which is more than adequate) is £819. I agree, it certainly ain't cheap, but neither is it over a thousand pounds.

>

Prices have altered again. As you say, the top spec minus keyboard and pen (which really should be included, as MS do with Surface), is currently £909.

• :) Love iPad Pro 12" more. Really like the big screen. Maybe a comparison of iPad generation would be helpful for you.