PSA: Don't update to iOS 12.4 if you use apps in AB output slot or IAA apps that use the mic.
https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/34030/urgent-psa-hold-off-updating-to-ios-12-4-if-you-use-apps-in-output-slot-in-audiobus

The TC-Data Guide For Little Tiny Babies

edited May 2017 in App Tips and Tricks

TC-Data is ridiculously good, but also a bit intimidating. So here is a guide for little tiny babies.

  1. Go to the "Load/Share" page and tap on the "+" sign, then on the "MIDI" option.
  2. Name the patch, and save it.
  3. Go to the "Patch" page, tap and hold the "MIDI CC" section and delete it (babies don't like MIDI CC, too complicated).
  4. Tap on the "On Velocity" section and select: Touch > Random > Random (arrow down).
  5. Set the velocity range using the sliders.
  6. Tap on the "Note (Note)" section and select: Touch > Angle > Angle to Previous.
  7. Set the note range using the sliders.
  8. Tap and hold near the top of the entire "MIDI Note" section, then select "+ Note Filter".
  9. Tap on the piano keys to set the scale.
  10. Go to the Settings > General section and select the type of MIDI Out you'd like to use, and play your favorite synth!

For controller variation, change 6 and 9.

To advance beyond babyhood state, consult manual, and add different pieces to your controller.

«13

Comments

  • @1P18 said:
    TC-Data is ridiculously good, but also a bit intimidating. So here is a guide for little tiny babies.

    1. Go to the "Load/Share" page and tap on the "+" sign, then on the "MIDI" option.
    2. Name the patch, and save it.
    3. Go to the "Patch" page, tap and hold the "MIDI CC" section and delete it (babies don't like MIDI CC, too complicated).
    4. Tap on the "On Velocity" section and select: Touch > Random > Random (arrow down).
    5. Set the velocity range using the sliders.
    6. Tap on the "Note (Note)" section and select: Touch > Angle > Angle to Previous.
    7. Set the note range using the sliders.
    8. Tap and hold near the top of the entire "MIDI Note" section, then select "+ Note Filter".
    9. Tap on the piano keys to set the scale.
    10. Go to the Settings > General section and select the type of MIDI Out you'd like to use, and play your favorite synth!

    For controller variation, change 6 and 9.

    To advance beyond babyhood state, consult manual, and add different pieces to your controller.

    This is going straight into my (baby) book. It makes me happy.

  • It's amazing the stuff you can get going with even just a simple set up, and sticking with the one "MIDI Note" module. Previous attempts to grasp the TC-Data left me like that puking baby, as I'd try to swallow too much.

  • @JohnnyGoodyear said:

    @1P18 said:
    TC-Data is ridiculously good, but also a bit intimidating. So here is a guide for little tiny babies.

    1. Go to the "Load/Share" page and tap on the "+" sign, then on the "MIDI" option.
    2. Name the patch, and save it.
    3. Go to the "Patch" page, tap and hold the "MIDI CC" section and delete it (babies don't like MIDI CC, too complicated).
    4. Tap on the "On Velocity" section and select: Touch > Random > Random (arrow down).
    5. Set the velocity range using the sliders.
    6. Tap on the "Note (Note)" section and select: Touch > Angle > Angle to Previous.
    7. Set the note range using the sliders.
    8. Tap and hold near the top of the entire "MIDI Note" section, then select "+ Note Filter".
    9. Tap on the piano keys to set the scale.
    10. Go to the Settings > General section and select the type of MIDI Out you'd like to use, and play your favorite synth!

    For controller variation, change 6 and 9.

    To advance beyond babyhood state, consult manual, and add different pieces to your controller.

    This is going straight into my (baby) book. It makes me happy.

    Killer gif

  • @JohnnyGoodyear said:

    @1P18 said:
    TC-Data is ridiculously good, but also a bit intimidating. So here is a guide for little tiny babies.

    1. Go to the "Load/Share" page and tap on the "+" sign, then on the "MIDI" option.
    2. Name the patch, and save it.
    3. Go to the "Patch" page, tap and hold the "MIDI CC" section and delete it (babies don't like MIDI CC, too complicated).
    4. Tap on the "On Velocity" section and select: Touch > Random > Random (arrow down).
    5. Set the velocity range using the sliders.
    6. Tap on the "Note (Note)" section and select: Touch > Angle > Angle to Previous.
    7. Set the note range using the sliders.
    8. Tap and hold near the top of the entire "MIDI Note" section, then select "+ Note Filter".
    9. Tap on the piano keys to set the scale.
    10. Go to the Settings > General section and select the type of MIDI Out you'd like to use, and play your favorite synth!

    For controller variation, change 6 and 9.

    To advance beyond babyhood state, consult manual, and add different pieces to your controller.

    This is going straight into my (baby) book. It makes me happy.

    Truly remarkable image usage. Legendary status.

  • @1P18 why angle to previous for notes rather than a grid or something? Just curious

  • edited May 2017

    @db909 said:
    @1P18 why angle to previous for notes rather than a grid or something? Just curious

    It was just to get started, at the end there I said to change it for variation. This guide is trying to make it as bare bones as possible, because it's very easy to be overwhelmed with this custom controller.

    Pretty cool too the angle one has indicators on the screen showing the angle. Pretty sure other settings have some sort of indicator as well.

  • @1P18 said:

    @db909 said:
    @1P18 why angle to previous for notes rather than a grid or something? Just curious

    It was just to get started, at the end there I said to change it for variation. This guide is trying to make it as bare bones as possible, because it's very easy to be overwhelmed with this custom controller.

    Pretty cool too the angle one has indicators on the screen showing the angle. Pretty sure other settings have some sort of indicator as well.

    Thank you for this. I was just playing around with TC-11 and was just so bummed that every built-in patch is like a sci-fi sound effect. It's surprising how few tutorials or videos there are for TC-Data. I guess there will be more soon.

  • Waiting for BIG BABY THREAD on TC-11

    (serious)

  • @RustiK said:
    Waiting for BIG BABY THREAD on TC-11

    (serious)

    Wha?

    1.) upper left folder icon, double tap it
    2.) select patch
    3.) rub/tap/fidget screen
    4.) see step 1

    Dun son! ;)

  • @AudioGus said:

    @RustiK said:
    Waiting for BIG BABY THREAD on TC-11

    (serious)

    Wha?

    1.) upper left folder icon, double tap it
    2.) select patch
    3.) rub/tap/fidget screen
    4.) see step 1

    Dun son! ;)

    2(a). Make sure it's in AUM and recording. Endless happy accident material available.

  • @RustiK said:
    Waiting for BIG BABY THREAD on TC-11

    (serious)

    I initially set out to create a bigger guide and put it in PDF format, but saw no clear way to go about doing that, as this app can get complex. Overall though it's not that complicated, in concept at least, and this little guide sort of starts you towards unraveling it all.

    What makes everything so complex is the different sets of combinations you can come up with. Best way to go about it is to choose one thing to focus on, and then try one of the many different input commands referring to the main manual to see what each specific command does.

    I still may take a stab at a bigger guide, but only if I see a clear way to do that.

  • Just picked this up since I didn't have anything like it and wow, the possibilities seem unreal. Especially with potential to switch between patches.

    It seems like the complexity might have to do with the ui, although I don't know how it could be that improved.

    I personally have enjoyed using the touch size to determine the note and it feels surprisingly organic and intuitive.

  • "Little Tiny Babies"?

  • Your post offends me. I feel that it is violating my safe space.

    LOL SIKE! Seriously, thanks for this mang. I've been avoiding TC for a long time, cause it does appear intimidating. Dunno why, cause I've built custom controllers with beatsurfing and krft.

  • Thanks for sharing this @1P18 :) I'd love to hear anyone explain how to make a simple sequencer for TC Data, which apparently it can do, but alas I've yet to make...

    Thanks again, wishing you all the best! :smile:

  • Why doesn't anyone post quantum mechanics for little babies? It's not fair!

    ...I may have stumbled into the wrong forum.

  • edited May 2017

    I'm going to make a bold statement here: TC-Data is the best music making app for iOS.

    Yeah I guess technically it doesn't even make music, but you get the idea.

    I'm starting to delve into it more, and practically weeping with joy. Such bliss with a good synth patch!

    Still haven't seen a way to bring it back to mere Earthlings, and quite honestly I'd probably rate it as beyond even planet SunVox in terms of complexity, but don't sleep on this app!

    Back I go. Wish me well. Maybe I'll return again someday with something good from my journey.

  • Haha! Sunvox is indeed great & now that you're getting more out of TC-Data is awesome. Enjoy your explorations! :smile:

  • wimwim
    edited May 2017

    While in the Mother Ship I'm fairly sure my Hosts were controlling SunVox using TC-Data. It could have been a dream, or the effects of the hyperspace jump, which I never could adjust to. But I think it was real.

    Don't worry, when they drop you back on earth you will still be the same age - even though everyone else will have aged years. But please do report back as I don't think I was interesting enough material for a follow-up abduction. :/

  • edited May 2017

    @1P18 said:
    I'm going to make a bold statement here: TC-Data is the best music making app for iOS.

    Yeah I guess technically it doesn't even make music, but you get the idea.

    I'm starting to delve into it more, and practically weeping with joy. Such bliss with a good synth patch!

    Still haven't seen a way to bring it back to mere Earthlings, and quite honestly I'd probably rate it as beyond even planet SunVox in terms of complexity, but don't sleep on this app!

    Back I go. Wish me well. Maybe I'll return again someday with something good from my journey.

    Keep your eyes peeled for those pesky anal probes abductees complain about.

    Or, if you're into that sort of thing.. enjoy! lol ;)

  • I'm no abductee. I'm friggin' Buck Rogers, bitch.

  • edited May 2017

    @1P18 said:
    I'm no abductee. I'm friggin' Buck Rogers, bitch.

    With that rainbow armband? Ain't no shame in a good ol' fashioned alien anal probin' Flash Gordon! LOL

  • @skiphunt said:

    @1P18 said:
    I'm no abductee. I'm friggin' Buck Rogers, bitch.

    With that rainbow armband? Ain't no shame in a good ol' fashioned alien anal probin' Flash Gordon! LOL

    So you're saying you know nothing of the show? Cool story. That's not a rainbow by the way.

  • @1P18 said:

    @skiphunt said:

    @1P18 said:
    I'm no abductee. I'm friggin' Buck Rogers, bitch.

    With that rainbow armband? Ain't no shame in a good ol' fashioned alien anal probin' Flash Gordon! LOL

    So you're saying you know nothing of the show? Cool story. That's not a rainbow by the way.

    Just messin' with ya dude. Looks like a rainbow to me. No, I've never seen the show. Might be slightly before my time and I don't recall ever catching it in syndication. Is that Lee Majors?

    Big fan of TC-Data by the way. Though, until your post I'd only ever started with presets, then edited to taste. Hadn't tried building a simple one from scratch before. thx! :)

  • @skiphunt said:

    @1P18 said:

    @skiphunt said:

    @1P18 said:
    I'm no abductee. I'm friggin' Buck Rogers, bitch.

    With that rainbow armband? Ain't no shame in a good ol' fashioned alien anal probin' Flash Gordon! LOL

    So you're saying you know nothing of the show? Cool story. That's not a rainbow by the way.

    Just messin' with ya dude. Looks like a rainbow to me. No, I've never seen the show. Might be slightly before my time and I don't recall ever catching it in syndication. Is that Lee Majors?

    Big fan of TC-Data by the way. Though, until your post I'd only ever started with presets, then edited to taste. Hadn't tried building a simple one from scratch before. thx! :)

    Buck Rogers was comically manly, in a late 70s kind of way. That was the joke I was trying to get across. Google Image and YouTube can provide more details.

  • Just made a breakthrough, and have started an outline for a bigger PDF guide. It ended up being not all that complicated in the end, it's just the manual uses some weird language to describe everything, and doesn't quite lay it out in an easy to understand manner. The light bulb finally went on for me though, and everything fell into place.

    ETA on a PDF guide? I have no idea. Probably a few weeks, at least. Just a matter of when I'll have time.

  • Cool! I look forward to reading it whenever it's ready! Anyone called Buck is cool btw ;)

  • @gdog said:
    Cool! I look forward to reading it whenever it's ready! Anyone called Buck is cool btw ;)

    Colonel
    Colonel Wilma was much cooler and the best part.:)

Sign In or Register to comment.