Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Home Studio Setups

Just curious if you guys would be interested in sharing photos of your home setup.

We live in a fairly modest sized house with 2 boys so space is at a premium. I ended up carving out a space in my walk in closet which I call my Drone Zen Den. I have my gear mounted on my dresser and have maxed it out.

Thankfully there's enough space in there for the whole family to jam and pound on some keys.

I'd love to see other people's setups and get ideas on what is possible

Here's my setup

Comments

• Looks good. I'm pretty sure there's a thread for this already. Just hasn't been pinged in a while

• @echoopera said:
    Just curious if you guys would be interested in sharing photos of your home setup.

We live in a fairly modest sized house with 2 boys so space is at a premium. I ended up carving out a space in my walk in closet which I call my Drone Zen Den. I have my gear mounted on my dresser and have maxed it out.

Thankfully there's enough space in there for the whole family to jam and pound on some keys.

I'd love to see other people's setups and get ideas on what is possible

Here's my setup

Very cool. And smart use of a closet :)

• Nice - can you tell us a little more about your setup and how you're using the different pieces?

Here's my man-cave - I'm mostly a guitarist, but have been playing around with adding some electronic components for jamming alone.

Right now my hardware consists of the TR-8 and a Volca FM and I'm using Gadget, Module, Animoog and Thor on the Ipad + modstep. I'm going to stick with apps for the most part for the time being, but some of the problems in setting up teh apps to work smoothly may lead to me incorporating my computer and using Ableton as a sequencer and bringing in more hardware synths.

For control, I'm mostly using the Roland A-01 (I'm still trying to decide whether to keep the A500 - great keyboard, but a total hassle to configure (I have no idea why Roland seems to hate class compliant USB MIDI . . . ) - I'm playing around with using the Helix as a MIDI foot controller. The KMI 12 Step works really well, but also can be a bit of a hassle to configure (their software has a HORRIBLE UI which is worth putting up with because the unit itself works really well !!)

• @Kiki_90291 said:
    Nice - can you tell us a little more about your setup and how you're using the different pieces?

Here's my man-cave - I'm mostly a guitarist, but have been playing around with adding some electronic components for jamming alone.

Right now my hardware consists of the TR-8 and a Volca FM and I'm using Gadget, Module, Animoog and Thor on the Ipad + modstep. I'm going to stick with apps for the most part for the time being, but some of the problems in setting up teh apps to work smoothly may lead to me incorporating my computer and using Ableton as a sequencer and bringing in more hardware synths.

For control, I'm mostly using the Roland A-01 (I'm still trying to decide whether to keep the A500 - great keyboard, but a total hassle to configure (I have no idea why Roland seems to hate class compliant USB MIDI . . . ) - I'm playing around with using the Helix as a MIDI foot controller. The KMI 12 Step works really well, but also can be a bit of a hassle to configure (their software has a HORRIBLE UI which is worth putting up with because the unit itself works really well !!)

Nice looking setup.
    I have the following gear:
    . iPad Pro running Modstep, Moog Model 15, fugue machine, xynthesizr, Korg Gadget
    . Novation Circuit
    . Pioneer Toraiz AS-1
    . Korg Minilogue
    . Push 2
    . Ableton Live 9.7
    . Korg Gadget macOS
    . iConnect Midi 2
    . FocusRite Scarlett 18i8

• @echoopera great setup brother. Home studio's are all about using space to an optimum level. That closet probably keeps reflections to a minimum too. We moved into our current home last November and I went from just a corner of a room in our apt. to a full room for music. My wife is also a musician/writer so she insisted on it, which is awesome of her...f##k guest rooms.

When I discovered iOS Music Production was completely viable as a professional recording solution I put my old desktop with my old ProTools M Powered rig away in storage and really streamlined everything.

I just use the folio case thats on my Air 2 64GB to angle up the tablet and monitor with Sony MDR-7506 headphones or the Mackie MCR Monitors depending on what I'm recording.

If recording vocals, acoustic guitar, amps, etc. with a mic (I use an AT-2020, Shure SM57's, etc) I first run them through an ART Tube MP Studio preamp and then into the Tascam US-2x2 interface.

If recording direct guitar, bass, hardware keys, etc. I go right to the interface. For keys I use a Novation LaunchKey 25 straight into the CCK for simple bits & finger drumming (it slides out on the keyboard drawer, fits perfectly) and I use the Casio PS-20 88 key piano through the 5 pin MIDI input of the Tascam interface as it doesn't have USB MIDI.

Pictured is my '91 Fender Standard Stratocaster MIM (the first year MIM's were made, excellent quality as they were pretty much US necks & bodies assembled in Ensenada) and my 1967 Eko Barracuda bass. The Eko is a short scale bass with a very Hofner-ie neck and completely hollow ES style body. My favorite bass ever. we

I have several more guitars in cases on the wall opposite the desk and my acoustic drums are broke down next to them. Eventually I want to set them up & mic them up but I stupidly sold my cymbals when the kit was in storage.

The room surprisingly sounds good without acoustic treatment (sometimes I'll open the closet doors to expose the clothes & put a comforter over the window to deaden it more) but as far as recording drums in it, ehhh. I'm having good luck with DrumPerfect Pro and enjoy using acoustic drum samples.

Thanks to @Kiki_90291 for sharing his studio (the mixer looks like a Yamaha​ MG10 I have, is it?) and I really hope all the musicians/producers who are members here show their studios too. We're members here because we love music but also the apps, gear, keys, guitars, etc. It's helpful to see what others in the community are using to compose & record, large or small.

• Lol, none of these set-ups looks like a mobile musician.

• @JRSIV said:

@echoopera great setup brother. Home studio's are all about using space to an optimum level. That closet probably keeps reflections to a minimum too. We moved into our current home last November and I went from just a corner of a room in our apt. to a full room for music. My wife is also a musician/writer so she insisted on it, which is awesome of her...f##k guest rooms.

When I discovered iOS Music Production was completely viable as a professional recording solution I put my old desktop with my old ProTools M Powered rig away in storage and really streamlined everything.

I just use the folio case thats on my Air 2 64GB to angle up the tablet and monitor with Sony MDR-7506 headphones or the Mackie MCR Monitors depending on what I'm recording.

If recording vocals, acoustic guitar, amps, etc. with a mic (I use an AT-2020, Shure SM57's, etc) I first run them through an ART Tube MP Studio preamp and then into the Tascam US-2x2 interface.

If recording direct guitar, bass, hardware keys, etc. I go right to the interface. For keys I use a Novation LaunchKey 25 straight into the CCK for simple bits & finger drumming (it slides out on the keyboard drawer, fits perfectly) and I use the Casio PS-20 88 key piano through the 5 pin MIDI input of the Tascam interface as it doesn't have USB MIDI.

Pictured is my '91 Fender Standard Stratocaster MIM (the first year MIM's were made, excellent quality as they were pretty much US necks & bodies assembled in Ensenada) and my 1967 Eko Barracuda bass. The Eko is a short scale bass with a very Hofner-ie neck and completely hollow ES style body. My favorite bass ever. we

I have several more guitars in cases on the wall opposite the desk and my acoustic drums are broke down next to them. Eventually I want to set them up & mic them up but I stupidly sold my cymbals when the kit was in storage.

The room surprisingly sounds good without acoustic treatment (sometimes I'll open the closet doors to expose the clothes & put a comforter over the window to deaden it more) but as far as recording drums in it, ehhh. I'm having good luck with DrumPerfect Pro and enjoy using acoustic drum samples.

Thanks to @Kiki_90291 for sharing his studio (the mixer looks like a Yamaha​ MG10 I have, is it?) and I really hope all the musicians/producers who are members here show their studios too. We're members here because we love music but also the apps, gear, keys, guitars, etc. It's helpful to see what others in the community are using to compose & record, large or small.

Nice set-up. Impressive. But this room is altogether too clean and tidy. You really need Morrison to settle in for a week with a case of Jack and ounce of hash...

• edited May 2017

Here we go. NI Maschine Micro mkII, NI Kontrol S49, iPad pro and an Macbook Pro. That's it.

• I love the idea of a setup (and I love seeing your spaces) but I also love chilling near my wife when we're home together. So right now my setup is highly mobile.

• And here is mine. 2 Guitars and a bass completes the arsenal.

• Oh! But I have got the biggest filter in the world. :)

• @Bluepunk is the only singer in the world to buy his pop filters from Homebase :D

• edited May 2017

This is my Groovebox Alley. There are some Volcas and Monotribes and Monotrons under the desk, which I hook up when needed. It's a bit of an incoherent mess, because I bought most of these boxes because I was interested in exploring their individual workflows/UI concepts rather than making them fit in the bigger picture.

Spot the Nabaztag :D

• @richardyot said:
    @Bluepunk is the only singer in the world to buy his pop filters from Homebase :D

Homebase! Too expensive. Picked this one up from the seafront at Brighton. :)

• @robertreynolds said:
    I love the idea of a setup (and I love seeing your spaces) but I also love chilling near my wife when we're home together. So right now my setup is highly mobile.

that's what I'm talkin bout

• I always like seeing these setups. I still have my studio/mancave setup, although much less hardware but most of my time at home is spent using my mobile setup or just the ipad.

• edited May 2017

Love these threads!

This is where I'm currently working:

Flowers looking a bit the worse for wear now.. we were given them at a concert about a month ago.

• @JRSIV - that is indeed a Yamaha MG10 - great little mixer!

These are some great setups - for those of you using an iPad and a PC, how are you using them together? Is the iPad just a sound module or are you using sequencers along with whatever you're using on the PC (looks like some Live users)? I'm trying to decide whether to incorporate my PC and am interested in learning how people ccset up their rigs.

• @Cib said:
    Lol, none of these set-ups looks like a mobile musician.

Touché brother, lol. Though iOS is THE mobile recording solution in my view, it's still very capable in an install situation too.

But for me this is still quite mobile. I just put the iPad into my bag with either an iRigHD or even the Tascam interface (it's surprisingly portable), grab my guitar and I'm off. I can also use on screen keyboards (sometimes a pain in the ass, but with AB3 & the MIDI keyboard app or the internal AUM keyboard any app can have one if the apps stock keyboard is bad or non-existent) or the LaunchKey 25 is actually pretty easy to tote around.

So while I prefer a home setup that's pretty permanent I still enjoy the freedom to record anywhere. I brought​ my stuff with me to London last time my wife and I went and it was simple to carry around.

@Heiliger_Bimbam , @AlexB , @brambos , @vpich , @OscarSouth , @waynerowand thank you guys for letting us see your studios; all brilliant examples of bigger & more does not mean better... @Bluepunk is especially living that mantra! Beyonce don't have a pop filter that badass, lol.

I hear @robertreynolds too, love my studio but I often sit with my iPad on my lap hanging with the wife composing drum tracks in DrumPerfect, mixing, going through AB forum etc. while she watches Housewives of Beverly Hills or some shit, lol. Quality time together without having to focus on the end of civilisation on TV for too long.

@JohnnyGoodyear the other side of the room is a bit more chaotic but I'm trying to stay streamlined and keep things tidy. Because there was a time when my studio/music spaces were disasters: empty cans of Mt.Dew everywhere, maybe a bong in the corner, one cat lying in a guitar case, another in the kick drum and a third scratching the shit out of a guitar amplifier, most likely with Twix wrappers & other s#it all over it, lol.

Live & learn...

• edited May 2017

@Cib said:
    Lol, none of these set-ups looks like a mobile musician.

Not pocket sized but I can carry my full rig (inc bass head) and my instrument inside one backpack (with 2 hard cases inside) plus one gig bag (piano is just for composition at home, never live). Mobile enough for me .. smallest rig I ever ran actually, and 100 times the musical potential!

• @Bluepunk said:
    Oh! But I have got the biggest filter in the world. :)

Just. The. Best.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@Bluepunk said:
    Oh! But I have got the biggest filter in the world. :)

Just. The. Best.

The framed saying compliments it beautifully

• edited May 2017

Not pictured is a 1980 Stratocaster, a 1958 Gretsch Clipper, and my M-Audio 88 key semi-weighted midi-controller. @JohnnyGoodyear - One of the desk drawers is full of Hohner Special 20 harps for when I need to turn on the old lady.

• @supanorton Just been out in the sun reading Ford's slim memoir of his parents ('Between Them') which is probably too slim but very redolent of life in Jackson, MS in the forties and fifties and where it is easy to imagine a man whispering to his sweetheart about desk drawers is full of Hohner Special 20 harps...

• So that's where all the gear manufacturers get their money from!!! :D

• ****> @waynerowand said:

I thought that was a Psion Organiser, foreground centre.

• @flo26 said:

V-Drums! And in red too, so badass. It's a bit embarrassing but when there was a Musicians Friend here in Vegas (it's now a Guitar Center) they hyped this no risk 45 day return program so much that I got a set of V-Drums knowing full well I was bringing them back, lol.

I was doing work at a project studio for a buddies CD project with him so I brought them over to record some drum parts from from scratch & to do some various overdubs. I hauled them back a few days later to my house, set them up in the studio until I took them back (like real drums the pain in the ass of setup/breakdown is there with added hassle of wiring patch cables & setting up the rack just right).

I DID NOT want to bring them back but the $2800+ or whatever the hit was going to be to my credit card was too much really. They were great though, and that was like 10 years ago so I'm sure the technology on the new ones is even better.

@flo26 have you had those long & what kind of samples do you use? The stock ones, a sample set from like a StudioDrummer or Kontakt library or just piecemeal samples you've collected over the years?