Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Can iOS synths sound as good as this?

Tired, late at night here.

Been messing with iMini tonight.
For inspiration, I looked on YouTube.

Find this cracking piece of video:

The synth is called LIL PHATTY.
It sounds amazing to me. So organic and fluid. I realise certain dynamics are granted by way of playing technique and other things like velocity.. and maybe other specifics about this hardware... but on general opinions guys, who out there think iOS can create something this rich?

I've found a starting point tonight (basic 'analogue lead' patch in Cyclop) so I'll return to it tomorrow (clicking through the presets (as amazing as they are)) gets you pretty tired if you do so at the end of the day! (they are intense!)

I am somewhat tempted to purchase Bassalicious by GospelMusicians as it's dedicated to bass. Jamal makes a good sell! He plays well and is passionate but its pretty pricey.

Comments

• I can tones like this from Moog Model 15. I use it almost exclusively for bass tones. It has the richest low end of any of the synth apps I own.

• So juicy...so PHAT!!! <3

And the answer is "kinda" but not the same.

• hell yeah

• Model-15 would be my safe bet, too... and if you're not after that specific Moog filter flavor DRC is capable of a similiar fat bass sound.
    But afaik those things aren't velocity sensitive at all, it's about envelope and control voltage/Mod Wheel ;)
    The main difference to playing 'tablet style' is the blind access to parameters, as you can see in the player's tweaking. With enough routine it can be achieved on-screen, too.
    You may need a dedicated surface that fits your own playing style, either good remote hardware or a programmable one like TC-Data.
    The latter is my favorite option because you can scale whatever you need for optimized ranges, which is important for filter tweaks. Even over-fatting by controlling multiple parameters simultaneously, like slightly more drive while the filter thins out etc.

• Always wanted a lil phatty! Bassalicious is devine though, especially if you can play like that dude!

• Yeah they can. Pretty much what @Telefunky said. I have no doubts that digital can do a pretty fantastic emulation of analog. Problem is though, that a Moog is much more than just its sound. Same with many analog synths. It's a delicious combination of hardware knobs, materials of build and the circuitry used.

Take for example the great work Roland have done with the System 8 sound. Really works well and they have also used decent encoding levels for some of the controls. Yet it just doesn't feel like an organic synth of old. Why? I believe it's more to do with the build and materials used and how our brains perceive it as a package. We know it's not Analog. We can see it's not made of the materials we love so much. It's Green! And it has flashing lights!

• Both mood and the model15 should be able to replicate these sounds to a certain degree.

• edited May 2017

imho not just to a certain degree, but 100% - but you may have a problem with the interactive part ;)
    Those sounds are embedded in a fairly good mix. In raw form they'd be hardly that impressive.
    Just like a Fender Precision bass, which often sounds humble in a store, but rules on stage or in a mix.
    The video doesn't contain critical parts where real analog still outperforms it's virtual bros.

• Of course

The gap between software/ hardware and touch devices is now non existent

An iOS synth ( from which we have too many to choose from lol) can sound as good as any hardware synth in the right hands

• @Fruitbat1919 said:
    Yeah they can. Pretty much what @Telefunky said. I have no doubts that digital can do a pretty fantastic emulation of analog. Problem is though, that a Moog is much more than just its sound. Same with many analog synths. It's a delicious combination of hardware knobs, materials of build and the circuitry used.

Take for example the great work Roland have done with the System 8 sound. Really works well and they have also used decent encoding levels for some of the controls. Yet it just doesn't feel like an organic synth of old. Why? I believe it's more to do with the build and materials used and how our brains perceive it as a package. We know it's not Analog. We can see it's not made of the materials we love so much. It's Green! And it has flashing lights!

Is the System-8 that good? I have yet to try one out for myself...I've heard conflicting reviews. One very respected synth guy here in Germany states, that it is the pinnacle of analogue emulation, but it still can't compete with the Jupiter 8...

• @Love3quency said:
    Of course

An iOS synth ( from which we have too many to choose from lol) can sound as good as any hardware synth in the right hands

That is just not true, sorry. I wish it was, but it isn't.

• @hexagonsun83 said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:
    Yeah they can. Pretty much what @Telefunky said. I have no doubts that digital can do a pretty fantastic emulation of analog. Problem is though, that a Moog is much more than just its sound. Same with many analog synths. It's a delicious combination of hardware knobs, materials of build and the circuitry used.

Is the System-8 that good? I have yet to try one out for myself...I've heard conflicting reviews. One very respected synth guy here in Germany states, that it is the pinnacle of analogue emulation, but it still can't compete with the Jupiter 8...

Well that's difficult for me to say. I have never used or even seen a Jupiter 8 in the flesh. I have owned and used many Analog Synths. I have also only used a System 8 in store.

My initial impressions are very favourable, but only personal use for a certain time can you really fall for a Synth.

Comparisons to music of old done on the sort after synths is virtually useless as they are pretty much all drowned in Reverb ;) In fact I would pretty much like to bet that the majority of people on this site have not heard a Jupiter 8 in the flesh without lashings of reverb :p

I would pretty much bet money that if you can't record professional music on a System 8, then it's down to your lack of skills and not the System 8s ability to make stunning sounds!

The only thing really that lets down a System 8 is 4 octaves of not the best ever keyboard. The colour is also great for all of a short while until it begins to look cheap and tacky. At least you can buy wooden side pieces.

• @hexagonsun83 said:

@Love3quency said:
    Of course

Lol..animoog

• DRC might be interesting too…

• My iPad still finds a home amongst several vintage analog synths, running Moog Model 15 app with a midi keyboard and a Behringer BCR2000 mapped to just about every knob in the app. Real Moog tone and hands-on knob tweaking fun.

• edited May 2017

Animoog ??? as much as I appreciate it's interface and honour it's ability to introduce some Moog flavour into IOS when the iPad One was current... THAT sound engine really isn't up to todays VA standards and either wasn't in it's early days.
    Most presets are drowned in reverb/delay (as @Fruitbat1919 mentioned with the Jupiter) and feature dual to four detuned voices unison.
    You can make anything sound big and fat with that tiny little trick ;)
    Yet Animoog is a cool player, simply because it's playable first class.

• @Love3quency said:

@hexagonsun83 said:

@Love3quency said:
    Of course

Lol..animoog

Yea Animoog is a ROMpler, and has not much to do with actual analogue emulation. Kind of like the iWavestation, sounds great, and is one of the best use cases of the iPad. But surely does not sound like a lil phatty.

@Fruitbat1919 said:

@hexagonsun83 said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

Well that's difficult for me to say. I have never used or even seen a Jupiter 8 in the flesh. I have owned and used many Analog Synths. I have also only used a System 8 in store.

My initial impressions are very favourable, but only personal use for a certain time can you really fall for a Synth.

Comparisons to music of old done on the sort after synths is virtually useless as they are pretty much all drowned in Reverb ;) In fact I would pretty much like to bet that the majority of people on this site have not heard a Jupiter 8 in the flesh without lashings of reverb :p

I would pretty much bet money that if you can't record professional music on a System 8, then it's down to your lack of skills and not the System 8s ability to make stunning sounds!

The only thing really that lets down a System 8 is 4 octaves of not the best ever keyboard. The colour is also great for all of a short while until it begins to look cheap and tacky. At least you can buy wooden side pieces.

I would have already bought the System 8, if i didn't think Roland overpriced it ridiculously. Keyboard doesn't even have Aftertouch IIRC.

In the end it always comes down to skill, but we're talking about pure sound here. And what does professional even mean?

This line of arguing just makes no sense. "In the hands of a skilled musician..." is a stupid argument, because in the hands of said skilled musician, better equipment does sound also better.

• @hexagonsun83 said:

@Love3quency said:

@hexagonsun83 said:

@Love3quency said:
    Of course

Lol..animoog

Yea Animoog is a ROMpler, and has not much to do with actual analogue emulation. Kind of like the iWavestation, sounds great, and is one of the best use cases of the iPad. But surely does not sound like a lil phatty.

@Fruitbat1919 said:

@hexagonsun83 said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

I would have already bought the System 8, if i didn't think Roland overpriced it ridiculously. Keyboard doesn't even have Aftertouch IIRC.

In the end it always comes down to skill, but we're talking about pure sound here. And what does professional even mean?

This line of arguing just makes no sense. "In the hands of a skilled musician..." is a stupid argument, because in the hands of said skilled musician, better equipment does sound also better.

We can argue semantics all night, but there is a certain quality of sound most people would like for making music. Yeah there are always exceptions, but if you really want to be going into a studio with a cheap electric 'Organ type keyboard' and trying to make stunning new sounds, be my guest :p I think there is no doubt that the System 8 would not be out of place making music in a professional studio environment or live on stage.

So while I do think it's the skill of the person making the music or recording it that counts most, some level of instruments are considered for professional use, some usually are not! I don't think we really need to argue that to death on a place like this. Leave that for the Synth Purist sites and the boredom they bring lol.

Agree it's probably overpriced as many keyboards are.

• @gonekrazy3000 said:
    Both mood and the model15 should be able to replicate these sounds to a certain degree.

mood?

• @hexagonsun83 said:

@Love3quency said:
    Of course

how is it not

• I don't care either way. Maybe it's because I'm a guitar player, and I've never bought a hardware synth? Most of the good ones cost more than I've paid for my Fender and Les Paul combined. Or, at least on par or a bit more for just one good hardware synth.

I've got more synths than I know what to do with on my ipad. I think they sound amazing!

• edited May 2017

Model 15 might be a good choice but it lacks at the low end if you drive up the resonance. So it isn't the best for juicy bass sound.
    Not sure which filter this is but the Minimoog filters f.e. have a lot more low end, also with resonance full on which is great for juicy bass and deep kick drums and stuff.
    You can workaround that a bit in Model 15 if you use saturation and/or some FX.
    Would like to hear more from Zeeon (new coming Beepstreet synth).

• @Shazamm said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:
    Both mood and the model15 should be able to replicate these sounds to a certain degree.

mood?

Apesofts new synth. Its basically a minimoog on acid. Lfo's for every single knob if you want it. Polyphony. and also velocity and aftertouch. its not out for public yet. just for beta testers. its heavenly though :)

• @dvlmusic said:
    I can tones like this from Moog Model 15. I use it almost exclusively for bass tones. It has the richest low end of any of the synth apps I own.

Fantastic, do you have any examples online? I'm interested in buying model 15 if it can get me closer to this sound.

• @gonekrazy3000 said:

@Shazamm said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

mood?

Apesofts new synth. Its basically a minimoog on acid. Lfo's for every single knob if you want it. Polyphony. and also velocity and aftertouch. its not out for public yet. just for beta testers. its heavenly though :)

I cant find it anywhere and Im super exited lol

• WOW how do I
    not now about Apesoft

• @Shazamm said:
    WOW how do I
    not now about Apesoft

http://www.apesoft.it/

• @hexagonsun83 said:

A software instrument can only be considered a rompler if it restricts the user to certain bundled sounds, without allowing them to load their own samples. The original WaveStation and iWaveStation are clearly Romplers. At one point you could load your own single cycle waveforms into Animoog, is that still not possible?