Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Is Anyone Recording Full-Fledged Vocal Tracks into Gadget Yet?

Would love to make this my "full-time" DAW. Any luck here?

Comments

• Dunno, I like composing in Gadget, and the new audio tracks are super-useful for opening Gadget up and bringing in parts recorded elsewhere, but I just can't see myself doing all my vocal processing in Gadget, because the insert effects just aren't as good as the ones in Auria. Bread and butter vocal processing would be compression, delay, and reverb and all those are going to be much better in Auria IMO.

However the audio tracks are definitely useful for bringing in already recorded and processed vocals for arranging in Gadget.

• I've been recording my bass lines into Gadget, one could just as easily lay down their vocal tracks. I do my mixing in Auria though.

• I haven't used a mic yet, but I did mess around with recording guitar parts as raw audio (using an external preamp or modeler), which is basically the same concept. I think a lot of people assumed that an audio track implementation for Gadget would operate on its own rules, so you could just hit "record" and capture audio for the duration of the song. But Gadget doesn't work that way, it's very much "bar" or "group"-oriented. In some ways it would be better to be free of the 16-bar limit, but in some ways it would be worse to have to think of recording vocals differently than you record and edit anything else in Gadget.

I was "happy enough" with the guitar and audio track editions because 16 bars is just long enough not to be maddeningly chopping things up all the time. A 4-bar limit, for example (which I think it used to have) would be obnoxious to record, and would encourage a lot of looping and exact repetition.

• @StormJH1 said:
    I haven't used a mic yet, but I did mess around with recording guitar parts as raw audio (using an external preamp or modeler), which is basically the same concept. I think a lot of people assumed that an audio track implementation for Gadget would operate on its own rules, so you could just hit "record" and capture audio for the duration of the song. But Gadget doesn't work that way, it's very much "bar" or "group"-oriented. In some ways it would be better to be free of the 16-bar limit, but in some ways it would be worse to have to think of recording vocals differently than you record and edit anything else in Gadget.

I was "happy enough" with the guitar and audio track editions because 16 bars is just long enough not to be maddeningly chopping things up all the time. A 4-bar limit, for example (which I think it used to have) would be obnoxious to record, and would encourage a lot of looping and exact repetition.

I thought that you could record over the whole song, same as with MIDI?

• I have sort of. Still working out the kinks but yes, you can fairly easily record a full vocal track. I might work on it today.

• @gmslayton said:
    I have sort of. Still working out the kinks but yes, you can fairly easily record a full vocal track. I might work on it today.

Would be interested to know or see how you get on.

• And how do you record into Gadget?
    At me, it fills the 1 to 16 bars and then overwrites the scene.
    You cannot access the audio, until you repeat a select, slice and move sequence, which is more than annoying....

Any other Way?

• So here we go. I basically had my entire track complete except for the vocals. I armed Zurich, armed gadget, made sure the repeat section is not checked and pressed play. Recorded the vocals straight through. Gadget actually works with audio really well when recording over multiple scenes this way. It seems to create 1 file and just kind of sets markers at each new scene. I could go back and re-record a section if I wanted to.

• @Jocphone said:

@StormJH1 said:
    I haven't used a mic yet, but I did mess around with recording guitar parts as raw audio (using an external preamp or modeler), which is basically the same concept. I think a lot of people assumed that an audio track implementation for Gadget would operate on its own rules, so you could just hit "record" and capture audio for the duration of the song. But Gadget doesn't work that way, it's very much "bar" or "group"-oriented. In some ways it would be better to be free of the 16-bar limit, but in some ways it would be worse to have to think of recording vocals differently than you record and edit anything else in Gadget.

I thought that you could record over the whole song, same as with MIDI?

You can. As shown above, just turn of repeat/loop.
    Record over the entire song. Or start start half way in. Record over a small section if you made a mistake somewhere.