Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Cubasis Sale

Cubasis will be on sale from tomorrow until Sept 11th for $35.99 US.

Comments

• $36 instead of $50 is pretty good! :-)

• Hmm. My trigger finger was ready at $25. Not sure at $36. Brains are weird.

Already own and enjoy Auria but Genome is the only midi sequencing app I own and I just don't like it. Pay $36 and have yet another app to house projects or wait out Auria's MIDI? By the time that happens, NanoStudio 2 may be out and (I have a feeling) the question will be mute.

• @syrupcore: same here. Will continue to make use of BM2 for the time being. ;)

• yeah this isn't the right time for me. I'll be holding out for now.

• edited September 2013

Yea, not to be a cheapskate but at @ 25 bucks I'd pull the trigger. I already own Auria and a bunch of its plugs. Otherwise I'd already bought Cubasis long ago. As good as it probably is, $36 is a bit too much if it turns out to be yet another product I won't be using.

Any word on the pricing for Loopmash and Loopmash HD?

• I'll sell mine to one of you guys for 25.

• USD 33.99 in Malaysia store now....

• edited September 2013

@boone51 I'd buy yours for $25 if Apple had an option for that :)

And I think I'll bite at $36. I know it's not as good as $25 but to my knowledge this is the first time Cubasis has gone on discount, so the chances of it going even lower anytime soon are slim. I enjoy BM2 quite well but Cubasis keeps calling my name...

• @jesse_ohio Let us know how you like it after you've had a few days to play with it. I love it! It is the easiest tool to use that I have. It is so easy to do anything I want to in it. :-) For me, that makes it worth a few extra bucks, since I get much more done in it. AND, if you have Midibridge, it easily syncs with DM1! ....and DM1 doesn't like to sync with anyone! ;-)

• edited September 2013

I know, I know... I sound like a Cubasis evangelist...but I have to say that after trying them all, it works best for me. It syncs with most of the drum machines on its own (without the help of Midibridge): FunkBox, MoDrum, Beat-Machine, Molten Drum Machine, DrumJam, Korg Electribe, etc.. It works with DM1 with a dead simple Midibridge configuration (once configured with single word, "localhost," it works just by starting it!).

Meteor was my previous favorite, but even though it is currently the most complete, full-featured and powerful DAW, it isn't easy to work with. Auria is fantastic, and when it has a working sequencer, I'll re-evaluate, but right now it doesn't have a sequencer.... so for me, Cubasis is the best there is.....and right now, it is on sale for almost 1/3 less cost. :-)

So, I know that I'm a little heavy handed in my enthusiasm, but I do think there are valid reasons to like the app. :-)

• Glad to hear it works so well with DM1, that's my go-to drumbox. Don't have MidiBridge yet but...

I've got a little under $20 in App store credit so I can eat the difference. Now I just need time to crack it open and play with it :)

• I have tested and tested and currently with the state that Midi sync is on the iOS, if sequencing drums from a drum machine is important to you, you need to at least consider Cubasis.....

OK....sorry for harping.....I won't say more.....

..at least for a while. hehehe!! :-)

• edited September 2013

@jesse_ohio When you are ready to sync DM1 to Cubasis, get Midibridge and follow the following instructions courtesy of our own PaulB:

http://forum.audiob.us/discussion/1564/how-to-get-midi-sync-working-with-dm1#Item_1

Load Cubasis, DM1 and MidiBridge. I have not tested if the order is essential, but this one works.

In MidiBridge, go to preferences. In the CoreMIDI Destination Host/IP Address field type "localhost" (without the quotes). Touch the Connect button.

In DM1, go to the MIDI setup panel via the Song page. Under 'DM1 Receives MIDI Data From:' select TEMPO for Network Session 1. Make sure Audio Background is on in the Song page.

That's it. Cubasis will happily start and stop DM1 and set the correct tempo without setting up any MIDI output, even with a new empty project. The limitation is that It will only work starting at pointer position zero, so if you stop, it won't restart from where you left off. Probably due to Cubasis only sending a continue event rather than a start event.

• Just as an added note, you can do the above configuration and then choose the setting in Midibridge to autoconnect, so that all you have to do in the future is simply start the app and everything will work fine. So basically you would do the following:

Start Cubasis, start DM1, start Midibridge, and get to work....no configuration needed in the future. Cool huh!

• I've probably killed this thread and any enthusiasm anyone else may have about it, so I'll stop now while I'm behind.......

• I agree with most here. After the half-price Auria sale, this is a bit of a disappointment. At $25, I'd think about it since so many are raving about the Cubasis interface...but just having purchased Auria in the sale, I'm looking at some of those plug-ins...it just seems better to start fleshing out Auria instead.

• Thanks for the details and enthusiasm @Audiojunkie! Will give it a go when I get Cubasis tomorrow, hopefully.

Since I only use an iPad Mini I don't think Auria is even a realistic option for me. And I would miss the synth/VIs.

• edited September 2013

Since you're not actually going to stop, can I ask you a few questions? :)

1) Is there a sampler instrument? Can I load a single wav file and play it across a keyboard? Wondering about something like NS' Eden, not Beatmaker's full on sampler.

2) Are sends editable via the mixer?

3) Has there been any real talk of bussing in the future?

• Also, why do you use DM1? Are the drum kit sounds not editable or do you just prefer step editing?

• edited September 2013

"And I would miss the synth/VIs" /Jesse

Sandboxed instruments/effects are going to be a thing of the past, post iOS 7. Sure there are gonna be exclusive plugs for this and that app. But the synth and rompler in Cubasis I believe anyone can live without. That said, Cubasis and its interface and workflow might work better for you, which at the end of the day helps getting some noise/music done! Auria does work well on the mini, but Cubasis I'm pretty sure have a faster workflow on the mini which does have iPad 2 specs (although I haven't tried Cubasis so can't say anything with certainty obviously).

• @mmp Auria's strong point is Audio and the plug-ins. No doubt. I have Auria, and I love the audio automation in it! It is the best there is! I personally do a lot of sequencing though, and need a great all-arounder. But I agree, Cubasis and Auria stand head and shoulders above all of the others, but neither is complete--Cubasis doesn't have automation yet, and Auria doesn't have sequencing yet. The most complete, full-featured DAW available today is Meteor. I just don't care for the GUI in it. It is hard to edit with precision. It's a good DAW, and very light on resources, but a pain to use. I use a 16gb iPad2 so I'm really limited and have resorted to using just Cubasis. But if I felt my iPad could handle it, I'd take my completed tracks over to Auria afterwords for further audio manipulation, because that is where Auria shines.

• @syrupcore Sorry, I really don't want to overload this thread, I really do...... :-(

I see where you are going, and these are weak points that Cubasis hasn't got solutions to yet. In answer to your questions:

1. No, there is not a built in sampler yet. I would really love to have one built in though. It is on the to-do list and planned, but not yet implemented.

2. No, I don't believe the sends are editable via the mixer.

3. When you are referring to bussing, are you referring to i/o routing and mixing, or are you referring to multiple inputs/outputs...or something completely different? If you are referring to i/o routing and mixing, then the answer to that is also, unfortunately, no. If you are referring to multiple inputs/outputs, the upcoming version 1.6 will have Multi-audio outputs (you need of course an audio interface that has multiple outputs to support this).

As for the DM1 question: I actually prefer a combination of playing live and step editing, but I find correcting my work and getting the drums correct easier in a good dedicated drum app. I also like the ability to create my own drums and import my own sounds. DM1 does a better job of this. The drums in Cubasis are good too, but a dedicated drum machine seems to work better for me for this right now. I personally don't know anything out there that works better than this combination, but I am very open minded and would be willing to change instantly if someone pointed me to something better. For me, workflow is VERY important.

I hope this helps answer some of your questions. I suspect you knew the answers to these already and just wanted to see me admit to the failings of Cubasis. :-) It's OK. When Auria comes out with their sequencer, I'll re-evaluate again, and choose the best at that point. I'm not blindly married to any particular tool. I just truly believe that for me, I've found the best there is to date. ;-)

• @audiojunkie, I think we've beat this horse before together, but I'll take the bait. I just think, feature-wise, BM2 is a better choice than Cubasis. Forget that it costs less than half what Cubasis does. Maybe the ui isn't most people's cup of tea, but there are more features in BM2 that I personally rely on than in Cubasis, not the least of which is a reliable clock sync. Sorry. Crawling back under my rock.

• I hope this helps answer some of your questions. I suspect you knew the answers to these already and just wanted to see me admit to the failings of Cubasis.

Not at all! I wasn't sure if I was just missing it/them. I really appreciate your reply.

• @AudioJunkie
    I agree, they all have their strengths and weaknesses but I figured I will be streaming MIDI into Auria as audio through AB most of the time anyway. I also happen to have Meteor as well, and Thesys, so there's another option, at least until WaveMachines comes up with their own sequencer.
    I'm also having to reconsider some stuff I purchased in the past because my 16Gb iPad is filling up fast, and getting Cubasis as well would make that even more difficult. I know now I should have gotten a 'bigger' iPad but I purchased it for other work and didn't realize how useful and fun it would be for music at the time...as a beginner in music I never thought I'd have so much power at my disposal, and there's still so much to learn...

• @boone51 There is no question that BM2 has its good points! :-) Two things that I really like about it are the fantastic sampler it has built in, and the innovative way that instruments and effects are selected/routed in the software. I like the drum module too. This was personal experience, so while it shouldn't differ it could, but I found the clock sync in Cubasis to be better than Beatmaker when I went through and tested my various apps against each DAW to see which did better. Nevertheless, there is no need to hide or be afraid of your opinion--it's just as valid as mine is! :-) People work differently--what workflow works for one may not work for another. :-) There are things that I don't like about Cubasis too, but for me, the positives outweigh the negatives....but Cubasis is far from perfect! :-)

• @syrupcore Thanks for your patience with me! :-)

• @mmp I know your pain--I've purchased a lot of stuff that I've had to delete, because I only have room for the very best and most useful things on my little tablet. By the way, you are talking about streaming audio into Auria. I would imagine that you will be using audiobus for that. That tells me that you either have an iPad 4 (wasn't aware that they come in 16gb sizes), or that you aren't aware that the iPads under the iPad 4 have difficulty with running Auria, audiobus, and another app at the same time--just too underpowered......maybe it will work with an iPad 3??? Not sure.... Either way, an option for you would be to use ACP to transfer the completed audio from one app to the other. If I had more space on my tablet, I would do that--complete all of my audio tracks and then import them into Auria for final effects, automation, and mastering. I may still do just that if I decide to delete some more apps that are less necessary, but I'd really love to be able to do everything in one app.

By the way, another thing I really like about Auria is the track freeze option--it is better than the freeze option in Cubasis.

• mmpmmp
    edited September 2013

Thanks AudioJunkie...I do have an iPad 4. I've also used ACP and e-mail to transfer tracks into Auria (e.g. tracks mixed-down as songs from Garageband-how I wish that would fit into the AB input slot!). And yes, freezing is very nice and convenient to use in Auria...

• @Boone51 talk to me about syncing DM1 to BM2, then!