Navichord updated to 2.5.3 - now with rests

The new release adds a new shiny icon, musical rests and a few enhancements related to QuNexus support for the LED Scale Guide. Enjoy!

• Musical rests
  • LED Scale Guide improvements for QuNexus (special thanks to @Carnbot !)
  • New icon
  • Stability improvements

Comments

• Great update! Thanks!

• Great update thanks Denis :)

• Strange that I never noticed the absence of pause before now.

There's either a bad joke or a good poem in there somewhere.

• I love this app. Period.

• Nice, I needed a rest.

(Coat)

• Great app but please can now we have Copy and Paste for any chord-pad ?

it would make editing complex chords such as ones with inversions much quicker to enter.

• Some more suggestions. I'm into harmonies of people like Vaughn Williams so thought i'd use the nice "inversion" system in Navichord to enter some chords found in some of his pieces. They are inversions in the low end of the register.

I found I could do this - but the trouble is - there is no sense of voice leading so after entering one chord witih notes at the bottom range octve wise - and then begin on another next to it - all the notes just default to the standard range - TWO OCTAVES above where my last chord was !

so the chord - starts off too high. It would be a real help if Navichord can take a clue from the range of the LAST chord entered and when entering a new chord - continue in the same range.

• Lastly .... I think the nomenclature used for your chord entry system is kind of wrong and a little annoying -

What I mean by this is that you have all dominant 7th chords under the category of "Maj" .

Now although this is technically kind of right - it is confusing for those who already understand chords.

It would be far better to seperate dominant chord typed out ( often written just as 7/9/13 etc ) out as DOMINANT.

So the second "type selector" wheel should read:

maj
    min
    dom7
    sus2
    sus4
    aug
    dim

For example currenctly i could select B and then maj and then 7 from the "wheels" but whereas it reads out as Maj 7 on the iPad screen - it actually plays as DOMINANT 7. This is confusing.

Type a message...

• Hi @nonchai, thanks. Great to see feedback!

Please find some workarounds below:

1) Copy and Paste: play a pad, then use the (+) button to assign the same chord to a new pad.

2) all the notes just default to the standard range - TWO OCTAVES : chord picker is using octave selection from the grid view. Go back to the grid and lower the octave on the sidebar. Pads are designed to be an extension of the grid.

3) I was thinking about extending chords without having a 4th row, having dom7 could be a solution. Can you list all extensions of dom7 that makes sense for the app?

• edited May 9

sure:

sus7 ( or 7 sus )

..... then... ahem.... there are all the "altereds" ( for the jazzers )

7+ ( or 7 #5 )
    7 b9

and tons more.......

but tbh i think just my first four suggested would be most commonly used ( in pop,rock,rnb etc )

• edited May 9

7(#9) Should be in there too, I think.

• Chordbot has the most exhaustive chord choices of these type of apps, would be fantastic if you could do the same for Navichord.

• edited May 18

One new major feature suggestion for chord types:

Currently for simple Major or Minor chord types ( ones without a 7th in it ) only 3 note TRIAD forms for Maj or Minor is available - ( and inversions ) are available. But in fact often recently i've wanted to do 4 note versions of simple triad forms - with the root an octave above etc.
    So it would be good to have the option to have 4 notes available for simple major and minor chords in order to do this.
    It allows one to do more interesting open-voicings.

I'v been able sometimes to simulate this by reordering notes in different chords to achieve the desired voicing but this isn't always possible and its a bit awkward. Better would just be the option of entering 4-note MAJ or MIN triad chords...

Cheers.

• @Munibeast said:
    7(#9) Should be in there too, I think.

Agreed. but the whole way chords are chosen could do with simplifying.

Some kind of chord-grid that allows one to select a ROOT and CHORD TYPE with a single finger-click would be cool.

• edited May 19

@nonchai , I thought choosing from multiple columns is easier than from one big list.

• i like it the way it is.

• < I thought choosing from multiple columns is easier than from one big list.>

for sure - when i wrote "one-finger-click" I was thinking of something a little cleverer than picking from a huge list.

One could get it down to two most of the time- with an extra click for less common chords... this is somethig ive often thougt about wrt some software of my own that i worked on many many years ago.

• @nonchai said:
    Lastly .... I think the nomenclature used for your chord entry system is kind of wrong and a little annoying -

What I mean by this is that you have all dominant 7th chords under the category of "Maj" .

Now although this is technically kind of half-right - it is confusing for those who already understand chords.

It would be far better to seperate dominant chord typed out ( often written just as 7/9/13 etc ) out as DOMINANT.

So the second "type selector" wheel should read:

maj
    min
    dom7
    sus2
    sus4
    aug
    dim

For example currenctly i could select B and then maj and then 7 from the "wheels" but whereas it reads out as Maj 7 on the iPad screen - it actually plays as DOMINANT 7. This is confusing.

Type a message...

• @nonchai said:

sure:

sus7 ( or 7 sus )

..... then... ahem.... there are all the "altereds" ( for the jazzers )

7+ ( or 7 #5 )
    7 b9

and tons more.......

but tbh i think just my first four suggested would be most commonly used ( in pop,rock,rnb etc )

I'm not an expert, I would appreciate if you could post a full list of chords you would like to see under dom7, this would help a lot :)