Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

OT - issues with latest Logic version

edited May 2017 in Other

Just been working on a track in Logic - first time I've used it since updating to the latest version and despite enjoying the new UI, I'm getting loads of error messages: warnings about speed of disk writing and other stuff. Never had these before, and for the first time noticing latency too. Also input monitoring switches itself off after recording on a track, and only works in record mode after - I'm sure it didn't do that before.

Ironic really, since I was praising how well it ran on my 2012 MBP. Looks like they've upped the obsolescence factor into this version - tossers. I may actually stop using it now, and do everything in Auria instead.

Comments

• edited May 2017

I'm not a power user of Logic Pro X, but the latest version runs fine on my mid-2012 MBP. Not problems at all.

I've got the max 16GB of ram and swapped the main drive to a fast SSD which made a HUGE difference.

• edited May 2017

@skiphunt said:
    I'm not a power user of Logic Pro X, but the latest version runs fine on my mid-2012 MBP. Not problems at all.

I've got the max 16GB of ram and swapped the main drive to a fast SSD which made a HUGE difference.

I'm on the standard HD. Definitely knobbled my use of this now - ran like a dream before.

• I'm still using the ancient Logic Pro 9, which will never ever be updated again, so I can't help you specifically with Logic Pro X, but is it not possible for you to install an SSD in your old Mac Book?

SSDs are really cheap nowadays, and the difference would be like night VS day. It would give new life into your old laptop.

@MonzoPro said:

@skiphunt said:

I'm on the standard HD. Definitely knobbled my use of this now - ran like a dream before.

• @MonzoPro said:

@skiphunt said:

I was going to unload mine last year, and upgrade to a new one. But, tried out an SSD and everything improved so much, I put off the laptop upgrade. Significantly improved video editing in FCPX too.

There's likely better than this now, but this is the one I bought: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OBRE5UE/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• edited May 2017

@CrazySynthMan said:
    I'm still using the ancient Logic Pro 9, which will never ever be updated again, so I can't help you specifically with Logic Pro X, but is it not possible for you to install an SSD in your old Mac Book?

SSDs are really cheap nowadays, and the difference would be like night VS day. It would give new life into your old laptop.

@MonzoPro said:

@skiphunt said:

@skiphunt said:

@MonzoPro said:

@skiphunt said:

I was going to unload mine last year, and upgrade to a new one. But, tried out an SSD and everything improved so much, I put off the laptop upgrade. Significantly improved video editing in FCPX too.

There's likely better than this now, but this is the one I bought: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OBRE5UE/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Yeah I had planned to upgrade to an SSD, just pissed off ive been forced into it now by this update which doesn't seem to have anything new that should require a performance hit.

• @MonzoPro said:

@CrazySynthMan said:
    I'm still using the ancient Logic Pro 9, which will never ever be updated again, so I can't help you specifically with Logic Pro X, but is it not possible for you to install an SSD in your old Mac Book?

@MonzoPro said:

@skiphunt said:

@skiphunt said:

@MonzoPro said:

@skiphunt said:

Yeah I had planned to upgrade to an SSD, just pissed off ive been forced into it now by this update which doesn't seem to have anything new that should require a performance hit.

I hear ya. But, if you're not planning on buying a new machine any time soon, once you upgrade to that SSD you'll ask yourself what too you so long. That's what I did. Was like a new machine and lived up to the SSD hype.

• $100 or so will get somebody a brand new good Samsung 250 GB drive for example.

There are even other cheaper SSDS than that, if somebody goes with other brands.

It really is a no brainer.

@skiphunt said:

@MonzoPro said:

@CrazySynthMan said:

@MonzoPro said:

@skiphunt said:

@skiphunt said:

@MonzoPro said:

@skiphunt said:

I hear ya. But, if you're not planning on buying a new machine any time soon, once you upgrade to that SSD you'll ask yourself what too you so long. That's what I did. Was like a new machine and lived up to the SSD hype.

• @CrazySynthMan said:
    $100 or so will get somebody a brand new good Samsung 250 GB drive for example.

There are even other cheaper SSDS than that, if somebody goes with other brands.

@skiphunt said:

@MonzoPro said:

@CrazySynthMan said:

@MonzoPro said:

@skiphunt said:

@skiphunt said:

@MonzoPro said:

@skiphunt said:

Did you both replace the internal drive, use a caddy or run it externally?

• edited May 2017

One way to do it is to buy a cd drive caddy for the SSD and just replace your cd drive with that with an SSD in it. Of course you'll have to clone your old drive onto that.

The good thing about keeping both drives is that the SSD can be used for system and apps and the other one as storage.

The bad thing is that if your original drive is big you won't be able to clone it until you've copied all of the excess stuff off it as SSDs can still be quite expensive when you go up with capacity.

• The SSD will make an older laptop run like new, highly recommended. I wouldn't get less than a 500gb drive, for working on large music projects, and having big sample libraries, and some movies, etc.

If you do replace the cd drive with a second hard drive, you could just use it for time machine backups, and get a big enough SSD as the main drive to store everything, documents and OS, on there. If the non-SSD hardrive is much larger than the SSD, you could partition it and use that one partition for backups, and the other partition for storing movies and old music project archive, using it for large files that you don't need a backup of, or need to access often.

• @MonzoPro

How much RAM do you have installed? As @skiphunt mentioned above .. you maybe able to get it to 16GB ... if you are not there already..

Would make a world of difference if you upgrade from say 4 or 8 GB to 16. Add the suggested SSD as above .. would be even better

crucial.com has a good tool to run to figure out what you have for RAM .. and what you can upgrade to ...

• @MonzoPro said:

@CrazySynthMan said:
    $100 or so will get somebody a brand new good Samsung 250 GB drive for example.

@skiphunt said:

@MonzoPro said:

@CrazySynthMan said:

@MonzoPro said:

@skiphunt said:

@skiphunt said:

@MonzoPro said:

@skiphunt said:

Did you both replace the internal drive, use a caddy or run it externally?

I bought a cheap, external USB3 enclosure off Amazon for about $6. I put the new Samsung SSD in that, installed a fresh OS on it. Then backed up my internal drive to Time Machine, then after swapping out the Samsung with my OEM 5400rpm drive, I restored from TM backup. Went fairly smooth. I've never trusted the cloning process, but that's just me.

I put my old OEM drive in the cheap enclosure, and made sure everything was cool for a month before I reformatted the old drive as external storage.

• Thanks guys, looks like I'll have to do this now and stop putting it off - the OS updates have given performance a hammering as well recently. I upgraded the RAM to 8gb @heybail

The method described by @skiphunt sounds the way to go, as I could keep the disk drive as it is an use the old drive for storage. I'll probably get a 500gb, to match the current one.

The laptop's nearly five years old, so spending a couple of hundred quid to keep it going is a good investment. Just a bit scary doing a the thing.

Skip's drive is £135 on the UK store, but for another £40 there's a 'SATA III' version...not sure which would be best.

• In 2015 I put a crucial MX100 512gb ssd in my 2009 MacBook Pro. It really has fared well since. Was running Ableton live but sold that and am now playing with Reaktor and Reaper. No complaints, works like a dream and keeps me off wasting a load of money on a newer Mac. For some reason this ssd is more expensive now than it was in 2015.

• @MonzoPro said:
    Thanks guys, looks like I'll have to do this now and stop putting it off - the OS updates have given performance a hammering as well recently. I upgraded the RAM to 8gb @heybail

The method described by @skiphunt sounds the way to go, as I could keep the disk drive as it is an use the old drive for storage. I'll probably get a 500gb, to match the current one.

The laptop's nearly five years old, so spending a couple of hundred quid to keep it going is a good investment. Just a bit scary doing a the thing.

Skip's drive is £135 on the UK store, but for another £40 there's a 'SATA III' version...not sure which would be best.

The one I got was rated the highest for performance, etc. and slightly above Crucial when I bought it, but that was about a year ago. I haven't had any problems and would buy another, but I've heard good about Crucial too.

I'm tempted to say go for whatever the latest version is, but I'd also have to wonder if that extra $40 would be better spent taking you up to the maximum 16GB of ram. It makes a difference.

Depends on how long you plan on keeping the machine. I wan't to squeeze an extra year out of my MBP and if I was lucky, 2 years. I've got that extra year already, and at present I see no reason I won't get that second year too.

I look at various review sites, but I've found this one to be fairly accurate for purchases I've made in the past. They're still recommending the Samsung, but it also lists a Crucial to look out for: http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-ssds/

Seriously doubt there would be a significant difference in performance between the two brands. They're both reputable. My experience is solely with the Samsung and it's been good thus far.

• Agree with @skiphunt either make of SSD is going to hugely improve your experience on your Mac @MonzoPro
    Funnily enough I just looked on Crucial's website about memory upgrades, I can only go to 8gb, but at least that is double what I have. Only I copied the model number of the RAM kit from the Crucial website into amazon uk and it was under £60 instead of approx £80, so it is worth shopping around.

• edited May 2017

@Jocphone if you have a mid-MBP 2012, Crucial doesn't show a compatible 16GB upgrade, but it's indeed compatible regardless. I've been running 16GB for 3 years, no problem. I don't know why Crucial still says that. I think originally 16GB wasn't supported, but with newer OSX installs, that changed.

MacMemory also only shows an 8GB upgrade available, yet it actually works fine.

https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/258150/what-is-the-maximum-ram-size-for-macbook-pro-mid-2012

• @skiphunt said:
    @Jocphone if you have a mid-MBP 2012, Crucial doesn't show a compatible 16GB upgrade, but it's indeed compatible regardless. I've been running 16GB for 3 years, no problem. I don't know why Crucial still says that. I think originally 16GB wasn't supported, but with newer OSX installs, that changed.

https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/258150/what-is-the-maximum-ram-size-for-macbook-pro-mid-2012

Nope mid-2009, 8GB is the max as I understand it from reading around. Hope so, as I've just ordered it!

• edited May 2017

@Jocphone said:

@skiphunt said:

Nope mid-2009, 8GB is the max as I understand it from reading around. Hope so, as I've just ordered it!

Don't know about that one, but I know mine isn't supported and works great:

• @Jocphone said:

@skiphunt said:

I seem to remember that being the case when I put mine in (when I bought it in 2012).

@skiphunt said:

Depends on how long you plan on keeping the machine. I wan't to squeeze an extra year out of my MBP and if I was lucky, 2 years. I've got that extra year already, and at present I see no reason I won't get that second year too.

Aside from running Logic I reckon I'd get another year at least out of it anyway - I don't use it that much but general graphics use is fine (Affinity Designer and Photo). Things are slow to start up, but once they have they run ok - it's only Logic that now seems to be feeling the pinch.

I'll look into putting an SSD in, I reckon that'd give me a couple more years at least.

• @u0421793 said:
    http://www.hotukdeals.com/search?action=search&keywords=ssd+internal+2.5
    They're never short of SSD deals over on HotUKDeals

Blimey, some good offers on there, thanks!