Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

UNIQUE for iPad by SugarBytes | Guide and Review - haQ attaQ 222

Yay SugarBytes has ported their UNIQUE synthesizer over to iOS. The synth sounds absolutely amazing and it has a great user interface. I'm really happy about that because I also have Cyclops another amazing sounding synth port from Sugarbytes and unfortunately the GUI on that one wasn't made for iPad. Anyway, UNIQUE also allows the user to modulate..well almost everything. And on top of that there's Audiobus, Inter-App-Audio, MIDI (including virtual) and Ableton Link support. In my opinion, UNIQUE is a must have!

haqattaq

Comments

• Great video! Thanks for sharing!

Did you find important differences between iphone/ipad versions? Thanks.

• Sold sounds so expressive, iOS synths have come a long way.

• @jakoB_haQ top stuff - great video and superb app. Modulation Madness <3

• edited May 2017

Seriously? The Sequencer is the one thing I want to know more about!

EDIT: How ungrateful. This was a terrifically informative tutorial. Jacob, as ever, you set a very high bar, and it's a joy to watch this. But, yeah, the sequencer is a little unobvious.

• edited May 2017

How do you remove modulations en masse? Or do you have to long press on each knob? Also is there a way to reset the lfo and xy motion pad? I just want a blank slate

• @jakoB_haQ your videos are truly valued good man - thank you for making the New so comprehensible.

• Thanks @jakoB_haQ - very helpful.

• @fjcblanco said:
    Great video! Thanks for sharing!

Did you find important differences between iphone/ipad versions? Thanks.

Oh o forgot to add that Ive only tester the iPad version. This app isn't universal either (for anyone who might be womdering). I'll have to het the iPhone version too and test it but from the looks of it i think the only difference is size.

• @Jumpercollins said:
    Sold sounds so expressive, iOS synths have come a long way.

Hope you ha e fun with it! =D

• @Trueyorky said:
    @jakoB_haQ top stuff - great video and superb app. Modulation Madness <3

Thank you! =D

• edited May 2017

Very sleek production mate. You're definitely pro level AFAIC. It made me buy the app! Still not sure if my thing (the synth) though and that's double credit to you! :D

• @ExAsperis99 said:
    Seriously? The Sequencer is the one thing I want to know more about!

EDIT: How ungrateful. This was a terrifically informative tutorial. Jacob, as ever, you set a very high bar, and it's a joy to watch this. But, yeah, the sequencer is a little unobvious.

I'm sorry.

So let me explain it here.

The sequencer contains 8 steps. Each step is controlled with "staples". View them as sending out MIDI CC#. So the lowest is MIDI CC# 0 meaning a knob will be tuned down all the way to the left when the sequence hit that staple. If you pull the "staple" up to the highest setting. Then it's like sending out MIDI CC# 127. Meaning the knob will turn hard all the way to the right.

It's got 5 directional modes that will set how the sequence is moving. The modes includes Forward mode, Backward mode, Ping-Pong, Inverse Ping-Pong and Random.

You assign the sequencer to any knob just like any other modulation element by long-pressing any knob and choosing "sequencer".

You also have a Range parameter for calibrating the working range, like I showed on the LFO in this video.

The speed can be adjusted by the Tempo synced to BPM and the glide function allows you to smoothen out time between steps.

Hope this helps.

• @db909 said:
    How do you remove modulations en masse? Or do you have to long press on each knob? Also is there a way to reset the lfo and xy motion pad? I just want a blank slate

I found this to be annoying to. I didn't find any initialize mode for presets or anything. So the first thing I did was make my own initialized preset....the hard way.... :(

• @Proppa said:
    @jakoB_haQ your videos are truly valued good man - thank you for making the New so comprehensible.

Aw, thank you so much! =D

• @MonzoPro said:
    Thanks @jakoB_haQ - very helpful.

My pleasure! =D

• @supadom said:
    Very sleek production mate. You're definitely pro level AFAIC. It made me buy the app! Still not sure if my thing (the synth) though and that's double credit to you! :D

Aw, thanks man! I always try to make better videos so thanks for telling me what you think of them! =D

• @supadom said:

Did you get the iPhone version? Not sure if it's my thing either but I don't mind stumping a fiver to support the dev. If it's that one does it look ok on the iPad?

• @MonzoPro said:

@supadom said:

Did you get the iPhone version? Not sure if it's my thing either but I don't mind stumping a fiver to support the dev. If it's that one does it look ok on the iPad?

It is landscape but slightly reduced but I reckoned if I was to use it live I'd probably run it with everything mapped out to a controller so it wouldn't be such an issue.

• edited May 2017

@supadom said:

@MonzoPro said:

@supadom said:

It is landscape but slightly reduced but I reckoned if I was to use it live I'd probably run it with everything mapped out to a controller so it wouldn't be such an issue.

Thanks! That looks perfectly workable, no worse than a Gadget synth UI. To be honest it's probably more useful as a phone synth to me anyway as I don't have many on there.

• Great demo, Jakob - your "inner workings" video compliments Doug's preset video quite nicely :+1:

• @eustressor said:
    Great demo, Jakob - your "inner workings" video compliments Doug's preset video quite nicely :+1:

Thank you! =D

• Yep - really helpful in explaining the modulation features, which are a big part of the synths appeal.

I bought this on the strength of Jakob and Doug's vids - Sugar Bytes take note.

• There are a lot (A LOT!) more modulation options than at first appears, so thanks for showing that, loving the vocal filter too. Great demo!

• @PhilW said:
    There are a lot (A LOT!) more modulation options than at first appears, so thanks for showing that, loving the vocal filter too. Great demo!

Yeah, there's a lot of stuff hidden away in the Controllers section.