Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

OT....kinda...not really. Field recording/musique concrete/found sound.

Who's into it? What is your workflow? Gear used?

Zoom H5 with the H6 mic capsule/cheap and cheerful contact mics.
Raw files dumped into audioshare via ifunbox.
Sonic madness into AUM or Cubasis via any of the amazing noises or apesoft apps. Moebius lab especially makes me giggle like a school boy!

Anyone else?

Comments

• I wanna get into it! I was thinking about a smartphone solution, but i guess i'm gonna buy a zoom....

• The Zoom works great for me. Xlr/combi jacks, x/y up front, and line in/out. All while fitting in a pocket. 8-10 hours on a pair of AA's if I'm not running phantom.

Honestly though, especially if you're gonna mangle the audio, the phone mic does a surprisingly good job.......what's the best mic for a job? The one you have on you!

• edited May 2017

Yes, I'm very much into that. My gear: (also a) Zoom H5 with it's own stereo mics and a Sennheiser ME 66 shotgun mic. Mostly (2 or 4 track) recording everydaylife sounds in- & outdoors and combining them with 'real music'. I record the music mostly with Reaper on PC (sometimes combined with synths from an iPad - thanks to an iCA4+ audio interface), but the Zoom-recordings mostly first go - via Dropbox - to my iPad for effect-treatment with all kinds of apps (Moebius indeed is great!) and then back to my PC (and Reaper, etc.).
    I think I always try to compose and produce something like "Grantchester Meadows" or "Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving with a Pict" from Pink Floyd's Ummagumma , because that album - when it came out - made a deep impression qua musique concrète. I always feel old fashioned though when taking this approach.... (as if there's something different that I could do, but can not...)

• I find that the recordings tell me what they can be....if that makes sense. Some things are obvious, but the most fun for me is noodling and exploring hoping for happy accidents. Yea, forgot about the Floyd. Guess I've been really influenced by Steve Reich's " It's Gonna Rain"..... speaking of, ReSlice is brilliant for that kind of approach. Held off on picking that up for way too long.

• @waynerowand said:
    The Zoom works great for me. Xlr/combi jacks, x/y up front, and line in/out. All while fitting in a pocket. 8-10 hours on a pair of AA's if I'm not running phantom.

Honestly though, especially if you're gonna mangle the audio, the phone mic does a surprisingly good job.......what's the best mic for a job? The one you have on you!

That's what i was thinking all the time..and yes, audio would get mangled severely. The entry level zoom is looking real good to me, under a 100 bucks...

• @Harro said:
    Yes, I'm very much into that. My gear: (also a) Zoom H5 with it's own stereo mics and a Sennheiser ME 66 shotgun mic. Mostly (2 or 4 track) recording everydaylife sounds in- & outdoors and combining them with 'real music'. I record the music mostly with Reaper on PC (sometimes combined with synths from an iPad - thanks to an iCA4+ audio interface), but the Zoom-recordings mostly first go - via Dropbox - to my iPad for effect-treatment with all kinds of apps (Moebius indeed is great!) and then back to my PC (and Reaper, etc.).
    I think I always try to compose and produce something like "Grantchester Meadows" or "Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving with a Pict" from Pink Floyd's Ummagumma , because that album - when it came out - made a deep impression qua musique concrète. I always feel old fashioned though when taking this approach.... (as if there's something different that I could do, but can not...)

This is their best album, along with the Live at pompeii stuff! Floyd had some very nice atmospheric sounds on "More" which was one year earlier...Cirrus Minor..amazing track! The birds along with Richard Wrights Organ is just unbelievable...

• @waynerowand said:
    I find that the recordings tell me what they can be....if that makes sense. Some things are obvious, but the most fun for me is noodling and exploring hoping for happy accidents. Yea, forgot about the Floyd. Guess I've been really influenced by Steve Reich's " It's Gonna Rain"..... speaking of, ReSlice is brilliant for that kind of approach. Held off on picking that up for way too long.

Very interested in the sounds you guys are making. I find ReSlice to be interesting but kind of inflexible for the kind of found sounds I'd like to use. I'm dying for the one app that will let me edit and perform my field recordings. iMPC Pro comes close but doesn't mesh with other apps well. Samplr is awesome but has no audio editor. Thinking i need to get a Push 2 and be done with it.
    Meanwhile, this is the record that for me is the gold standard for found sounds/musique concrete-esque pop.

• edited January 2023

Deleted

• Ah, musique concrete! The days of my college youth, lol. I might've hated Digital Performer (literally the biggest pain in the ass DAW I've had the misfortune of working with), but I LOVED taking found sounds and molding them to my will! Those were the easiest grades to nab too, because I could literally do anything with my sounds (so long as I did at least one edit, although just one is too boring for me), ascribe an abstract bullshit explanation/meaning to the piece (which was sometimes a chore), and fafoom! Instant 100%.

I made one bizarre atonal piece which was a combination of musique concrete and ametric/atonal improv, and I called it "The Darkness of Night". About 5 years after I made it, I found out Coast To Coast AM highlights musical talent. However, when I emailed the person asking about what format they were looking for (mostly about how long the piece should be), the guy said, "You may be better off not entering. We receive 1000s of entries, and out of those, only four get featured in a month," or something like that.

But, I said, "F-ck it," sent in "The Darkness Of Night" and the $35 entrance fee anyways. So, in December 2012, a couple weeks before the disasterous end of the world which I knew wasn't coming (I think it was the 9th), I heard my name announced on the show and about 2-3 minutes of my piece played. Well, who says there isn't a national broadcasting demographic for Musique Concrete?

MAN, I'm supposed to finish this pop EDM song I'm working on, but now I'm inspired to rekindle my love of music concrete. Maybe I'll find a way to incorporate some of those techniques somewhere in the track.

• @ExAsperis99 said:
    Meanwhile, this is the record that for me is the gold standard for found sounds/musique concrete-esque pop.

One of my favorite bands ever!

I bought a Zoom H4N recently but I'm probably gonna return it. The mic picks up too much noise.

• I think it would be fun to all do a little ditty using the same sample. @jwmmakerofmusic Congrats on the accolades! Easy A's....gotta love'em. Same thing happened when my studio class started tackling extended instrumental techniques. 1) go bonkers 2) bullshit 3)collect your A.

• Got my ethnomusicology students to experiment with found sounds, including by mashing up what others had done. They were using whichever tool they wanted. Wasn't a big part of our course, but it did connect with some discussion of R. Murray Schafer and Pierre Schaeffer.
    Dabbled with sampling/recording random stuff, over the years. Used to have an iRiver device (H120, IIRC) which worked relatively well for that purpose at the time. Used my fieldwork mic (Sony MS-20, IIRC). Never released anything significant from those experiments, but the whole process was an ear-opener, quite literally.
    Event just playing with RjDj was fun for that. Wish it came back. Might do something with libPd.

• I love John Cage, Stockhausen, Terry Riley, etc. Stuff that's musique concrete but with an attempt at a motif or repetition to not have it just be noise...
    musical musique concrete.

I bought this compilation at a Tower Records in the '90's and it was a revelation. I'd heard "Revolution #9", Kraftwerk, Eno, etc. but this set takes it from the early theramin experiments to '50's sci-fi, all sorts of stuff.

I did a project in '99 where I limited it to a Tascam 424 cassette 4 track & a Yamaha SU-10 sampler as the recording setup, then used guitar, bass, a cheap Yamaha 16-bit keyboard, an old turntable, Radio Shack Realistic PZM mic and a few SM57's.

It was just for me & friends but I had so much fun doing that and learned a lot about capturing sounds but also how capturing performances is the most important.

@waynerowand good luck brother, I know I went off on a tangent. I hope whatever you do, ambient, found sound, cut & paste, samples, digital only, analog only, whatever- that you have a blast and leave your critical mind stay back while experimenting. I've read plenty of interviews where cats talk about not letting that inner critic ruin the experience before it plays itself out.

I mean you​ could record leaves rustling from different angles and spend a few hours editing and shaping it and come up on a great sound...but in the beginning if you let the voice tell you "This is shit" "That sounds stupid" "This ain't as cool as so and so"....it can stop you from getting to that great sound. Just a tip from experience...be cool.

• @ExAsperis99 said:

@waynerowand said:
    I find that the recordings tell me what they can be....if that makes sense. Some things are obvious, but the most fun for me is noodling and exploring hoping for happy accidents. Yea, forgot about the Floyd. Guess I've been really influenced by Steve Reich's " It's Gonna Rain"..... speaking of, ReSlice is brilliant for that kind of approach. Held off on picking that up for way too long.

Very interested in the sounds you guys are making. I find ReSlice to be interesting but kind of inflexible for the kind of found sounds I'd like to use. I'm dying for the one app that will let me edit and perform my field recordings. iMPC Pro comes close but doesn't mesh with other apps well. Samplr is awesome but has no audio editor. Thinking i need to get a Push 2 and be done with it.

Fantastic record.

• don't know about that Lemon of Pink thing... personally i would go back 10 years and cross the pond for a "gold standard' .. though it's not always as 'nice' a listen.. it certainly breaks most of the ground for the others that followed.. and its perhaps more 'fun' than a lot of academic 'Concret' experimentation

https://stockhausenandwalkman.bandcamp.com/album/giving-up-with-stock-hausen-walkman

for a more 'relaxing' listen maybe try their Organ Transplants Volume 1 or some of "Hairballs"

• @RockySmalls said:
    don't know about that Lemon of Pink thing... personally i would go back 10 years and cross the pond for a "gold standard' .. though it's not always as 'nice' a listen.. it certainly breaks most of the ground for the others that followed.. and its perhaps more 'fun' than a lot of academic 'Concret' experimentation

https://stockhausenandwalkman.bandcamp.com/album/giving-up-with-stock-hausen-walkman

for a more 'relaxing' listen maybe try their Organ Transplants Volume 1 or some of "Hairballs"

Well, I did say it was the "gold standard" for me — but yes, SHW is much more in the spirit of actual musique concrete. Although it's kind of a gag record, which reminds me of a lot of Negativland. But when it's good, it's really good:
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=fgSHxhbQp9w

• a lot of people wrote off DADA as a 'gag' art movement, a hundred years later and we still talk about it and its influence is deep.. vague possibility that all the 'so called' plunderphonic artists of the end of the 80's beginning of the 90's might have started ( with due respect to all that preceded them ) something that we can never get back in the box...
    i love negativland , sadly my Escape from Noise Lp is long lost but i still have Helter Stupid, 2 of the very early pre-plunder noodly albums and most importantly 'A Big 10-8 Place' all of one side is made up of millions of cut up bits of noises, local dialog, odd location sounds etc... an epic 'gold standard' right there..
    I thought of Stock, Hausen & Walkman as a critique of the idiotic low-brow versus high-brow in music culture.. definitely artists.. and probably GAG artists too :)
    they did a seven inch single called "buy me/sue me" which has 88 lock grooves cut into it, each one is a skillfully crafted music snatch from popular and unpopular pop artists singing the word "ME" infinitely... simultaneously playing with the Egocentricity of pop music, the zen like endless repetitive nature of it AND messing with the legal grey area between "quotation" and " out and out stealing "
    I'm pretty sure that's an artwork... though it may be a gag at the same time.
    S,H & W led to V/VM's outrageous and hideous distortions of popular music culture and i don't think that Vaporware would ever have existed if not for V/VM.. so they all should probably be "banged up" ( translation: Jailed ) just for that.. :)
    People did get shot dead for a pictorial gag published in that french magazine.. so we shouldn't under estimate the power and concequences of well aimed humour..
    Careful how you go...