Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Help. Focusrite itrack dock usb input issue

I'm rearranging my studio space and had to mess around with all of my inputs, and now I'm having a strange issue with usb connections:

I have an older roland keyboard I have used as a midi controller for a while with a cheap usb-midi connector. When I reconnected everything it didn't work directly into ipad or through the itrack dock. I think the USB - Midi cable is shot

When I connect an Acorn 25 key midi keyboard to the usb input of the dock, nothing happens, but when I connect it directly to the ipad (via CCK) it works fine (different cable).
Then, when I connect launchpad pro (different cable) it works perfectly fine through the dock and directly into the ipad.
I switched cables and used the launchpad cable to connect the midi keyboard and it worked.

I guess my question is: is it possible that certain cables can handle a certain signal from the midi keyboard to the itrack dock and some can't? Could this be an issue with the itrack dock port?
Any insight would be useful
thanks

Comments

• edited May 2017

The lenght and the quality of the cable could affect the behaviour. If you check old mfi hardware like irig midi (30 pins) it could charge the iPad but it requires its own (shorten) usb cable. With another not totally guaranteed it will work.
    ITOH since lightning came iOS users had reported different behaviours with the new cck3usb against old cck (lightning and 30pins) related to handle external controllers energy giving some of them the report that new cck3 needs powered hub where olds don't.

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/17386/accessory-unavailable-problems-connecting-usb-stuff-to-ipad-and-iphone-haq-attaq-204

So, try the failing cable with hub or psu if you can to be sure. Btw the worst part is related to itrack dock which can handle usb hub and I'm not sure if it can be plugged powered gear into it without issues.

https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-gb/articles/207546345-Which-USB-MIDI-devices-can-I-use-with-the-iTrack-Dock-

• Thanks for the feedback. The FAQ mentions not supporting USB Hubs or interfaces, although I had an interface working with it before.

• It supports class compliant midi hardware so the midi side of an interface should work...

• Hi,
    Does anyone tried to connect the novation AudioHub to an Itrack Dock?

The AudioHub Usb port should a midi class complaint and so compatible with itrack.

• edited May 2017

The itrack dock only allows class compliant MIDI devices and don't support usb hubs. So needs a midi class compliant direct connection with endpoint device and without any usb hub in between...

Why do you want to plug audiohub into it? Just use a cck3usb with audiohub...

• I would connect all midi keys together to itrack, so I wondering if there is a way to find a Midi Hub with an USB midi class compliant output that can be see from iTrack

• The Audiohub only puts out 500ma, not sure about the dock, but perhaps try using external power via cck - the LPP also has a low power mode

• @Wego said:
    I would connect all midi keys together to itrack, so I wondering if there is a way to find a Midi Hub with an USB midi class compliant output that can be see from iTrack

Midi din? If so, then a midi hub should work (with external psu surely)ñ
    How many do you need to plug? Tell us more :)

• :smile:
    In this moment i'm able to connct all my novation device (pad, key controll) with a powered usb and CCK to iPad, but this is not possible with the iTrack, because itrack not recognize the Usb powerd hub, but only midi class compliant device.

So my idea is to find an hub that can be recognized as midi class compliant device, like kenton midi hub, or Novation audio hub as madio midi usb hub.....

But i don't know if this work... so teorically yes, but only teorically.

• The pad and keycontrol have midi din?
    I had one of this back in the days and I think these are class compliant

http://www.gear4music.com/Recording-and-Computers/Phonic-Midihub-USB-MIDI-Interface-DISC/O7J

• No DIN for this kind of novation device.

For this reason i'm looking for a USB midi Hub.

• Then you have two option (IMHO):

• Go the cck3usb route and avoid itrack dock.
    • Buy a usb midi host box (like kenton or bomebox) in one side and midi port at itrack dock.

The second choice is expensive and I'm not sure why do you want to complicate yourself so much... why not to sell the itrack and buy something that fit better in your setup?

• Because I use itrack for many things, like live playing (bass guitar and Yonac + keith mcmillen 12 step with taurus) and this is working perfecly, Expanding this device will be me able to attach also a launchkey or launchpad to my keith mcmillen 12 step, with a docking station that charge the ipad with two audio input that I can use in the same time and a midi features......

• edited May 2017

The iPad Dock is very funny with keyboards. Some work, some don't - there seems to be little relationship between class compliance and whether it'll work with this interface. For example, my Arturia Minilab doesn't work (but is class compliant and works just fine when connected directly to the iPad), whereas my Elektron Analog Keys does work through a USB MIDI converter. It's a shame - it's the one big flaw with the device and is the reason I don't use it as much as I otherwise would.

• edited May 2017

@Wego said:
    Because I use itrack for many things, like live playing (bass guitar and Yonac + keith mcmillen 12 step with taurus) and this is working perfecly, Expanding this device will be me able to attach also a launchkey or launchpad to my keith mcmillen 12 step, with a docking station that charge the ipad with two audio input that I can use in the same time and a midi features......

You can do ALL of this without it in a CCK3 setup with something like the AudioHub ie (even charging the iPad which was the worst drawback until these new cck emerged) but you will need a lot of extra gear to keep the actual setup with iTrack... but since I want to help let's see which could be these expensive setup. :wink:

Bass guitar ----> iTrack inputs ----> Yonak app
    KM12s ----> KM expander (to get midi din) ----> usbmidi 2x2?4x4?
    Launchkey -----> kenton host ----> usbmidi------^
    Launchpad (pro) -----------------------^

Launchkey and launchpad throught midi conversion will not be recognized from Launchpad App, take it in mind. Launchpad app need a direct connection that will keep your iTrack usb port busy. There isn't any usb hub that can solve that... so for other apps no problem for Novation apps forget it.

Hope it helps.

• edited May 2017

Yes, this help, many thnaks for this

Unfortunatly is the same conclusion that I had some month ago, but I hate lose with technology :smiley:

And kenton work only with kenton device (this what i have read I have not done a test)

In anycase, no one tried to connect an Audiohub or similar to iTrack......

• edited May 2017

NOTE: The USB port on the iTrack Dock is designed for connecting MIDI controllers directly. We do not support the connection of USB hubs to the port. We also do not support the connection of other sorts of USB device (i.e. a USB interface) - the port is for MIDI controllers only.

Source
    https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-gb/articles/207546345-Which-USB-MIDI-devices-can-I-use-with-the-iTrack-Dock-

@Wego said:
    Yes, this help, many thnaks for this

Unfortunatly is the same conclusion that I had some month ago, but I hate lose with technology :smiley:

It's not losing with technology, it's to gain the knowledge to understand that these hate is the frustration of trying something impossible (even with a iTrack firmware update... since probably the usb port can't support hub for a physical reason due to ic involved or due to apple mfi restrictions.)

Note aside:
    Before the cck3 come many of us have the same problem with docks and "missing pieces of the puzzle". Griffin was planning release this:

http://musicappblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/studio-connect-hd-with-ipad.jpg
    http://musicappblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/studio-connect-hd-rear.jpg

http://musicappblog.com/griffin-studio-connect-hd/

It was going to support usb hub attached to its usb host but... it never arrived to market (due to mfi as I could state asking to its developers in every single social network, contsct form and mail) and few months later it become irrelevant due the cck3.

And kenton work only with kenton device (this what i have read I have not done a test)

The last time I check Kenton support was for class compliant midi hardware. I supose it has some limitations since iTrack also support midi class compliant but there are list of "tested, working and don't" even in the Focusrite FAQ so if you decide go that route just drop a mail to kenton with your specific hardware list.

In anycase, no one tried to connect an Audiohub or similar to iTrack......

Because the info about how iTrack usb works is clear and the iOS audio input output behaviour is also well documented (you only can use two different audio interfaces if one is input and other is output; if one of them has booth then the first you plug take the control... it could be interesting do some testing in order and results to clearify 100% but for the vast majority of users the claim "iOS only supports one audio interface (and the integrated one as complement)" is all they need to avoid the idea of "aggregated devices" from OSX.
    With this in mind why to plug a AudioHub into iTrack dock when:

• The soundcard will be the iTrack (it has input output; it's the first connected) so no possibility to use the AudioHub audio side?
    • The iTrack only support midi class compliant devices and AudioHub isn't. It's a audio interface with integrated hub which (again) support midi class compliant interfaces (not sure about plug another hub into it... it could be interesting test)?
    • CCK3 allows iPad charging, hubs and works as expected?

Anyways you can try and figure by yourself, maybe you find an expensive workaround to keep the iTrack. Maybe Novation releases an mk2 with hub (low probability since Apple seems ditch the iPad mini) but my last advice is to split your setup with another idevice where you can plug the other pieces you miss. Hint: launchpad app only works with launch series under iPad, not on iPhones/iPods... :wink:

Good luck mate!

• Thanks a lot Dubbylabby
    Now the situation is more clear to me :smile:

In this moment I already split my steup thans to the fact that I have two Ipad.

Thnaks again :smile:

• @Wego said:
    Thanks a lot Dubbylabby
    Now the situation is more clear to me :smile:

In this moment I already split my steup thans to the fact that I have two Ipad.

Thnaks again :smile:

Cool! I have splitted with ipad mini and iPhone 5s (and even another split with dedicated iPhone 4 fitted inside a homemade keytar)

If I can help more in anyway just ask or pm :wink: