Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Song of the Month Club - May 2017

Comments

• @Franketti Very funky, sounds s bit like what Beck does when he gets funky, but I'm afraid some of the sounds you've used are a bit too cheesy for my taste. Sounds like you had some problems with Auria? Hope you get them worked out.

• @trackedout Thanks for your kind words. I did a fair bit of editing and remixing, but listening back, it could still do with more.
    I'm not getting to grips with mastering either yet. Dithering? 24 bit to 16 bit? Tried a few masters and didn't sound right, so ended up with minimal mastering. Will revisit.
    Yes, this forum is fantastic for the advice shared

• @DefRobot : Thanks. Don't know Becks Music. Don't know how to get the Cheese out of my Sounds ;-)

• Ok, this is it. I must apologise for hogging the thread a bit, but I have a bit of newbie inexperience!
    This is the final remix and master - as I MUST move on to my next song that I've just started.

• edited May 2017

@richardyot said:
    My entry for the month, I've revisited a track from last year, re-doing the vocals completely. I've also dialed back the overall compression on the mix so that it's more dynamic and less harsh.

Lyrics in the spoiler:

I listen to the distant thunder waiting for the rain
    I'm watching shadows moving under clouds on hazy plains
    There's miles and miles of space between us Skies are looking grey
    There's nothing left to feel but loss, and nothing more to say

And the rain
    far away
    will it come?
    will it stay?

I hear the thunder in the distance, It's still far away
    There's sheets of rain beneath beneath the clouds, and they're heading this way
    There's nothing much to do but wait and hope it blows away
    We fill our lives with hopes and dreams but the rain comes anyway

And the rain
    far away
    will it come?
    will it stay?

For the curious, this is the original version:

https://m.soundcloud.com/richardyot/distant-thunder

The vocals in the newer one are clearly better, although still not quite as good as I would like, especially in the first verse.. Maybe I should get @Bootsy to sing it...

Interesting remake. This is now much more likely to make the cut for the soundtrack it reminds me of most (or the vibe or whatever) which is 'Blue Velvet'. Frank Booth would like it. I think you're too harsh on the first verse, in fact (contrarian that I am) I think in some ways it feels more together than the second. Just toast, I know.

Two small thoughts would be that the start still feels as though it hits too suddenly, but on reflection I think that might be about the mix of the very first piece of sound you hear. Feels/sounds like these's a pop of some sort, kind of distracts the attention. Minute comment really, probably best ignored.

Towards the end I like the backing vocal sound, really gives depth, but I kept thinking it was going to build/come forward more and when it didn't I found that distracting too. Guess I'm just easily distracted. Never expected I'd write this but: Really like the tambourine (or whatever it is) that comes in towards the end....

Out of fellow interest, how did you find redoing it? Did you have a strong idea of what you wanted in mind from the getgo? Was it easier or harder than you thought? I guess more than anything did you feel that what you've learned/improved since the first recording showed up on the second to your satisfaction?

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    Out of fellow interest, how did you find redoing it? Did you have a strong idea of what you wanted in mind from the getgo? Was it easier or harder than you thought? I guess more than anything did you feel that what you've learned/improved since the first recording showed up on the second to your satisfaction?

The motivation was fairly straightforward: I thought it was a good song that was let down by a mediocre vocal and I wanted to take another stab at it since my singing had got better in the last 12 months. I didn't quite achieve what I hoped for, I was hoping I could put in a vocal performance like last month (Time) which was genuinely good, but this song is much harder to sing because of the range it requires. I've developed a really effective vocal timbre for the middle of my range, with that throaty rasp, but I don't have it in the lower or upper reaches of my voice, which is what this song uses.

So while my voice has improved, and my pitching is better, I still need to work on the timbre in the lower register, to try and get more of my chest and possibly throat in there so that there is a more pleasing resonance in the voice. For the higher register I probably just need to keep the sound more open and clear.

It's baby steps, the performance is better than it was a year ago, but I think to do the song justice it needs to be better still. Maybe in another year or two.

• @richardyot Now this might have been the last song I heard u do before I took my gap year? Anyway, the major thing I immediately noticed is how confident & strong your vocal is. I especially love how in the second verse you go up, I don't remember u doing that on the previous mix? It adds or it continues to add a great dynamic to the track. So great choice there.

I've never heard you go wrong with the music buddy. The mix sounds good to me & I remember u always mixing a bit differently to the "norm" anyway. This sounds fab! A great moody, contemplative piece & kudos to you for revisiting an oldie. :)

• @LostBoy85 said:
    @richardyot Now this might have been the last song I heard u do before I took my gap year? Anyway, the major thing I immediately noticed is how confident & strong your vocal is. I especially love how in the second verse you go up, I don't remember u doing that on the previous mix? It adds or it continues to add a great dynamic to the track. So great choice there.

Thanks - the going up is a key change. The original version also did this, the song is structured around two key changes to take the melody up: it starts in C, then in the first chorus it shifts up a fifth to G so by the time I get to the second verse it's a fifth higher. Then for the third chorus I shift back to C, but an octave higher than the original verse and chorus, so I'm singing that final chorus an octave higher than the first. Sounds more clever than it really is, because it's quite easy to shift between the keys of C and G because the chords and notes are very similar (the only note that is different is F# instead of F so most of the chords are exactly the same, if you know the circle of fifths you can see it's a very simple key change).

• @DefRobot Love that jangly guitar intro, and love the guitars generally in this track. Vocals are very assured, well recorded and very well sung - you've got a great voice. I like the Calexico-like western feel to the track, and the guitar solo at the end has a really epic sound to it. The chorus has a good lift to it as well and the overall dynamics are very good.

The mix is a little bass-light to my ears, would definitely add some more low-end to it, it's partly because the bass guitar part has a lot of space in it (which is great) but as a result there is a hole in the low end, so maybe add some warmth to the overall mix to compensate.

Anyway it's a great effort, I'm looking forward to hearing future entries.

• @richardyot Good on you for having a crack at an old tune that you want to get more out of. The song stylistically has a slightly mournful vibe about it which I dig. Cool percussion…reminds me of neil young on some of his slower numbers. Really like the chorus, definitely my favourite part of the tune. There’s some deepness to the vocal (from proximity effect?) in some of the chorus vocal parts – for mine it adds some nice impact on the vox, but it’s not there on every chorus phrase so I’m not sure if that was intentional or not? Re the instrumentation, for some odd reason I found myself expecting / missing the subtle crackling sound of the needle like on an old LP. Somewhat left field but I reckon it would fit the vibe nicely.
    I quite like the original version too….I think the chorus vox are definitely improved in v2, but I wouldn’t have thought the old chorus lacking if I’d heard only V1. It’s a really good tune, it really got under my skin after tracking back n forwards between the old and new version. Re your nod to @Bootsy’s vocal prowess, I reckon @Bluepunk could also render a pretty unforgettable version if let loose on this one!

• @DefRobot Like the big bombastic riffing at opening, and vocals fit really well too. Love the delivery of ‘you’re a long time dead’ especially. Song really well structured and mixed. My only suggestion is that the big sort of breakdown around 2:15 (where the drums stop and then kick back in) felt a little far back in the mix, possibly from being pretty drenched in verb. Helluva first effort though, didn’t sound newbie to me, great job

• @richardyot Thanks for the lovely and in depth review! I've heard of Calexico, but not actually heard them, must give em a go.
    I agree the fullness of the sound is lacking, I purposely made the bass part sparse to create space in the sound. Others have commented that the kick could be higher in the mix. Will remix at a future date.
    I may have taken the re-arrangement too far :#
    @marliess Likewise, thanks for the kind words and constructive suggestions. All a great help for making tweaks :)

I'm loving this club - great community and wise words from all. Some of the reviews are great for the constructive help given.
    I will endeavour to make my own reviews more in depth and I look forward to hearing the next batch of songs.

• edited May 2017

@DefRobot some Calexico for your listening pleasure:

A combination of western style guitar, mariachi horns, and french:

They also did an album with Sam Beam (Iron & Wine) which is amazing from start to finish:

• edited May 2017

@Franketti I love funky jazzy tunes from the sixties and seventies, which is essentially your genre, so right off the bat the sound is up my alley. Love the groove, and the funky keys. The wah-wah e-piano solo is wicked, really funky, melodic, and rhythmically interesting - it has my foot tapping along which is always a good sign. I'm not sure about the middle instrumental break though (the stabbed chords at 3.30), but I do like the more flutey bit that comes just after it.

Congratulations on persevering with the vocals as well - they much improved over last time. I would say you should keep working on them because I think you can become a fine singer, just make sure to practice as much as you can. For a track like this it would be good if you could develop a little grit in your voice for certain passages, and also learn to open up as well to sing with a purer head voice for the higher parts. Also watch out for those nasal sounds when you sing "alternative facts", try and make sure the sound is coming from the chest, or throat, or head, rather than the nose.

It's a cool and funky track, and the production is great. The playing and composition are both excellent, musically I thought this was very strong.

• edited May 2017

Yikes. Almost the end of May (ALREADY)....must catch upon my reviewing....and.....if you haven't thrown one in the pot yet, there's still time (just about :) ).....

• @crouchie said:

The point, for me, is not whether this is any good (it's not), it is that I have finally done an effing song!!! Very unpleasant six months but is all done now. This was going to be called Faceless Techno Bollocks, but then I did a very faint whispered vocal and so I called it something else. For what it's worth it was done from the ground up in Auria Pro. I felt I should give it a go having paid all that money for it after all. I have missed SOTMC, although you are probably wondering what I'm banging on about ;-)

@Bluepunk i will hear no talk of championships, as with promotion my cup runneth over. v pleased!

i have a plan to try to produce tunes regularly again, but then i'm full of plans...

p

You may be a lazy seagull bastard, but you have the ear :)

OF COURSE I'm a sucker for the vocal. And it's a great trick whispering but in a fully understandable manner. I enjoyed this as is but about half way through I turned it up as loud as it would go and (despite all the validity of the loudness debates) got even more out of it at max volume....

Being a wanker/stickler I would have liked a sly Roosevelt sample to back up/reference the 'fear' quote, but no one else cares about that...

Glad you're back on the treadmill Mister. And the season's over, there's nothing to do now but record a couple of full on Summer anthems...

• @richardyot : Hi, trank you dir Kind comment (as always ;-) ). I know, I should have cut out the Part Art 3.30. It doesn't fit that much . It is the 5th or 6th Song that i made (in my Live!). So I'm still learning. I will practice with my Voice. Hope to produce more Grit. But the nasal Tones are due to Anatomy, I think. Talked to our Black Singer from the band. May be he will sing in the coming tune. Thanks a lot foryour comment.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@crouchie said:

The point, for me, is not whether this is any good (it's not), it is that I have finally done an effing song!!! Very unpleasant six months but is all done now. This was going to be called Faceless Techno Bollocks, but then I did a very faint whispered vocal and so I called it something else. For what it's worth it was done from the ground up in Auria Pro. I felt I should give it a go having paid all that money for it after all. I have missed SOTMC, although you are probably wondering what I'm banging on about ;-)

@Bluepunk i will hear no talk of championships, as with promotion my cup runneth over. v pleased!

i have a plan to try to produce tunes regularly again, but then i'm full of plans...

p

You may be a lazy seagull bastard, but you have the ear :)

OF COURSE I'm a sucker for the vocal. And it's a great trick whispering but in a fully understandable manner. I enjoyed this as is but about half way through I turned it up as loud as it would go and (despite all the validity of the loudness debates) got even more out of it at max volume....

Being a wanker/stickler I would have liked a sly Roosevelt sample to back up/reference the 'fear' quote, but no one else cares about that...

Glad you're back on the treadmill Mister. And the season's over, there's nothing to do now but record a couple of full on Summer anthems...

Many thanks as always for your kindness. One of my favourites, Jack Dangers of Meat Beat Manifesto, did an album called Loudness Clarifies, and I reckon electronic music is nearly always best played loud. Except for mine obviously, which should be locked away in a cupboard. I am committed to cranking the output up again, even if it means being a bit less fussy and trying to enjoy singing again. Thanks again, and loved your one btw.

P

• edited May 2017

@Franketti said:
    @richardyot : Hi, trank you dir Kind comment (as always ;-) ). I know, I should have cut out the Part Art 3.30. It doesn't fit that much . It is the 5th or 6th Song that i made (in my Live!). So I'm still learning. I will practice with my Voice. Hope to produce more Grit. But the nasal Tones are due to Anatomy, I think. Talked to our Black Singer from the band. May be he will sing in the coming tune. Thanks a lot foryour comment.

Well if that's only the 5th or 6th song you've written that's amazing - you're very accomplished musically. As for the nasal singing, it's not that bad, it was a small detail really, but try this trick: hold your nose when singing, you will see you can still make a sound, so the singing doesn't have to come through the nose :)

When singing high notes you should try and make the resonance come from your face. If you focus on the area just above your face when you sing it might help.

• @trackedout said:

Road movie right here. Love the brass when it arrives, but could have done with a 'take it all the way down' 8 bars somewhere around then...this is not my kind of thing apart from the times when it's too late, too dark and who the fuck cares. The voice is beseeching mostly, which makes sense, but maybe somewhere there might have been room for something (even quietly delivered) that could have scared the listener a little more (a revealing lyric as to why they should let me go...)....good stuff.

• Thanks a lot of Taking the Time and the to comment my Tracks. Some Words that you used I have to translate later. I have to say my bandmates were Not so friendly critizing my Tunes. So for the Future forgive me that I' m so eloquent as you all are commenting songs. Have a nice evening fiddling around. Better enjoy this warm evening outside!

• Cheers for the links @richardyot
    They sound cool, that style is appealing :)

• @DefRobot said:
    Here's my first effort.
    Rough mix, think various bits need work. So please, roast my mix!

I really like this one. Got a lovely, Cave-like feel (forgive my limited rock-orientated comparisons, it's not my strong point), and I think the arrangement and mix sound great. It's very tricky to get the vocal to sit well and I think you've done it here. Double tracked vocal works v nicely (although not always my cup of tea), but basically I liked it because it's a good song, which is the point really, eh? Great stuff

• @Franketti said:
    Hello, I know didnt contribute much to say something your songs the past weeks. But I hope. you tell me, what You think about this new song. It took me several weeks. I had many tracks when Auria corruptet my Song. I moved around many regions and first tried Midi tracks. Then it f..up. So I had to start again with only a few tracks remaining. You will hear it. It is without any Quantizing. Used Funk drummer, Yamaha Montage ( cause it is more easy for me to fiddle with sounds than on ipad), a drum loop vom Beathawk, a persussion- loop from Afro- latin a SM 58 with my excellent voice. It is old school Wanted to create something like super funky 1+1+1=3 by prince. But auria destroyed my funky Guitar-track. But I´m white. So the result is something between Jay Graydon and Barry White. I dont know ;-). It was fun. But i Can`t hear that song for the next few weeks. Have to rehearse with the Live Band and look for the flowers in the garden

I love the backing track, very enjoyable slice of retro and impressive unquantised playing. For me, the vocal was just a little too in your face, and a bit dry. I always mix my vocal too low (this is often mentioned when one of mine turns up here) and so it may be that I'm not a great judge. If the level is ok I think it maybe could bear a bit more reverb/delay. But I may be talking a load of old toot. Anyway, love the message and the tune, well done.

• @richardyot said:
    My entry for the month, I've revisited a track from last year, re-doing the vocals completely. I've also dialed back the overall compression on the mix so that it's more dynamic and less harsh.

Lyrics in the spoiler:

I listen to the distant thunder waiting for the rain
    I'm watching shadows moving under clouds on hazy plains
    There's miles and miles of space between us Skies are looking grey
    There's nothing left to feel but loss, and nothing more to say

And the rain
    far away
    will it come?
    will it stay?

I hear the thunder in the distance, It's still far away
    There's sheets of rain beneath beneath the clouds, and they're heading this way
    There's nothing much to do but wait and hope it blows away
    We fill our lives with hopes and dreams but the rain comes anyway

And the rain
    far away
    will it come?
    will it stay?

For the curious, this is the original version:

https://m.soundcloud.com/richardyot/distant-thunder

The vocals in the newer one are clearly better, although still not quite as good as I would like, especially in the first verse.. Maybe I should get @Bootsy to sing it...

I remember this from before I think. I does sound better, I particularly think that your vocal works much better from the second verse onwards, when you go to a higher register, double tracking a bit. I really like the laid back feel to the backing, and I think you have the balance of the instrumental mix perfect. I like this one a lot.

• @crouchie : Thanks. Yes the vocals are too loud and too dry. I will fix this. First I noticed it as I Heard the Song in my car;-)

• Many thanks @crouchie , I love a bit of the ol Nick Cave. I did have a bit of a job getting the vocal mix right. Helped once I used Virsyn reverb and used it subtly.

• @richardyot Sorry late gaffer. Unexpected issues here at the Roxy. Yep, remember the original. The difference I hear (apart from the practice pays off lessons) is on this one you are singing to each listener as though you're in their front room... face to face. Personal, intimate, exclusive to them. Not on about tone or delivery necessarily, it's the mix. Your vocals appear to come from top/Middle on this version and no blurry edges tapering into the left/right ears. Directed to the punters brain as well as lugs..... clarity.

Verse 1 vocals I liked because they came across sad and morose.. slightly lost/shy, and the tempo matched. When you raised and flowed from Verse 2 onwards in that more dynamic way, the tempo obliged and seemed to be elevated with it! Never experienced this phenomenon before. Of course, 'the build' up of a song I'm beginning to understand, but to give the illusion that the tempo has increased slightly due to the vocals and not drums is enlightening. From slow and downbeat (perfect for that verse.. some tightening up maybe?) to something far livelier and achingly happy..... and ALL by voice alone...... well sir.... Well done. :)

• So this one I learned a lot . Parallel eq and parallel compression is a great technique that made my mix pop out more and sound fuller.. same set up as always irig hd , thru Auria