Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Looking some MIDI Sequencer that work with BS-16i

Hey Guys, I am looking MIDI Sequencer that can work with BS-16i, also it should have the export feature, so that I can mix it in Auria.... Is Genome MIDI Sequencer a good choice? Since I don't have any keyboard midi controller, so recording live in bs-16i is a pain for me....
Thanks...

Comments

• Auria cannot currently use MIDI sequence data (only audio data), so exporting from a MIDI Sequencer to Auria would be useless. bs-16i is a soundfont instrument which can be played by loading MIDI song files into it, or from its two touchscreen keyboards, or by a MIDI controller app/device. bs-16i is Audiobus enabled so its audio output could be recorded by Auria and then mixed. bs-16i can play MIDI song files but does not record either MIDI or Audio.

What style of music do you want to sequence with MIDI?

• I believe @RockingGarage is looking to use a midi seq to trigger bs-16i whose audio output would send to Auria via AB. I can't recall any that didn't work with bs-16i in that. I'm almost certain Genome does, but I'd have to verify that. I think it comes down to what features you want in the midi seq. I'll dig a bit further and see what I have that plays well, but if I recall, TheSys and mSequencer also worked well.

• I couldn't get mSequencer to work for some reason. Genome worked fine. So did StepPolyArp, Arpegiator Pro, and TheSys.

• Ok, I need to compose some piano solo song with complex arrangement, or orchestra piece, because I am not familiar with piano, so i need try and error, this is why the midi sequencer came to my mind, garageband does have this feature, but some how the sound is limited...
    ok, @funjunkie27 does give some example, i will look it around those MIDI sequencer which I never heard (actually i only know genome)... haha....
    if the midi sequencer does support export audio to itunes, or audio copy, even though I might need a PC to transfer the audio to Auria, it should be OK....

• While were on the topic...has anyone tried Brainwave Sequencer? Its always tempted and seems to have a lot of good features though it does need updated

• @RockingGarage - Many midi sequencers don't have an audio engine. Genome doesn't, but the others I mentioned do, but why would you want the audio from them anyway. The point of most of them is to drive apps with better audio engines and bs-16i is multi-timbrel, so it can accept all 16 channels of midi and give you a different instrument on each channel. If you put bs-16i in the AB input, and Auria in the AB output, you can drive bs-16i with Genome, or many other midi sequencers and lay down 16 tracks in Auria at the same time.

@JMSexton - I've wondered about that one too. I'd like to hear feedback from those who have it.

• edited September 2013

Hmm... I really not familiar with MIDI... haha.... Thanks @funjunkie27 for explaining, I will get one and try, maybe TheSys..... is it a good choice to start? or Step Poly Arp?

• I think TheSys is the most comprehensive, but it has a steeper learning curve as well. SPA is much easier for me, and yields some great results, but it lacks some functionality over TheSys.

• Ok... will try TheSys... Besides, can TheSys work with nave waldorf?

• Isn't Thesys a single midi channel only? I don't see how one would be able to use BS-16i with all 16 channels at the same time with Thesys? I have it, but I'm at work, so I haven't checked....

• I think you might be right @Audiojunkie. I'm at work now, so I can't verify.

• One important thing to consider is how much control you need over the final mix. BS-16i does not expose its individual channels to AudioBus, only its final stereo out. And its mixer is quite limited. So the audio DAW into which you record it will only get that. For the DAW to do the mix you will have to record each channel into it soloed, one at a time.

If you need a mix of MIDI and Audio, I recommend Beatmaker 2 for constructing your piece, then move the tracks into Auria for final mix and mastering. BM2 can drive BS-16i quite nicely. And you can if you wish have BM2 as a pure MIDI sequencer feeding BS-16i and record the tracks directly into Auria over AudioBus.

That will put you nicely at the top of the slippery slope into full Appoholism.

• edited September 2013

Do bear in mind the rather gargantuan footprint of BM2's built in samples. What was it again? 800Mb?

• Was going to suggest BM2 as well. Or Cubasis.

Genome is very pattern based - not exactly ideal for scoring orchestral music. StepPolyArp and Thesys are both single channel - also not idea.

• Anyone have Brainwave?

• Thanks you guys helping, yesterday I was trying Thesys, it is a good midi sequencer, but it looks like not my best solution, is it posible to more than 2 pitch in the same pitch slot?
    Heard that Cubasis having sale tomorrow, if the price OK will try it, if not maybe I need to try BM2...

• I love Cubasis, and I own and have used nearly every DAW and sequencer on the platform. Cubasis is my current main Sequencer/DAW. I bought it at full price, and don't feel bad at all. I HIGHLY recommend grabbing it when it goes on sale! :-)

• +1 for cubasis even though its still in its infancy it's the closest thing to the best of bm2 and Nanostudio combined....

• edited September 2013

$50 for Cubasis... That's crazy talk, at least within the overall iOS landscape. Some developers still haven't moved past the outdated desktop pricing schemes.

• Tomorrow, it will be $36. Get it while you can!!!

• Speaking of install size...How big is Cubasis installed?

• edited September 2013

If all that is needed is a MIDI sequencer to drive bs-16i sounds and a multitrack DAW to record them, then I wouldn't recommend buying a DAW that has its own samples taking up space.

• Thanks mgmg

• ... and 460mb is almost 1/3 smaller than Beatmaker 2 with its bloated crappy presets....just saying... ;-)

• edited September 2013

I just tried cubasis, really, it is close to what I looking for, although I take sometimes to figure it out those midi in midi out between cubasis and bs-16i....

• @RockingGarage If you need any help, let us (me) know. I'll be glad to help out. :-)

• @JMSexton. I want to know that, too. Brainwave Sequencer has been around for a long time, but I hardly hear anything about it. Maybe it's too pricey for a sequencer.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/brainwave-sequencer/id429830201?mt=8

Here's a good review, but I couldn't find much more info. Anyone tried it out?
    http://apps4idevices.com/read/brainwave-sequencer.html

• edited September 2013

What about EnergyXT as an alternative sequencer that supports soundfonts directly? Seems to be fairly full featured and provides both a MIDI sequencer and soundfont support in one package except for the fact that it appears abandoned and hasn't been updated in a long time... which I guess means it doesn't support audiobus. Never mind. Carry on.

• neither of them have had an update in over 12 months