Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

What selection of Apps for a total beginner?

1235»

Comments

• I am not sure how to comprehend this, but thanks for the tip, I will check GB for this!

• I don't know if you're aware of this, but GarageBand iOS work can be opened directly in Logic Pro X on the mac.

• tjatja
    edited May 2017

I have and want no Mac, being a Windows 7 guy ;-)

I again tried something in GB.
    With problems I found the sequencer, added some notes and then wanted to edit them.

But as you can see, somehow I am not able to create a whole tick of a sound, to the right you can see that there are only 3 small ticks, not fully quantisized.

I searched for 10 minutes to be able to set the normal size again - but I had no chance.
    I just cannot get GB, my brains works totally different to those of the developers.
    Just nothing is possible for me, as there is no intuitive way to do things.

Cannot find any way to change the behavior of the sequencer again.
    I have no idea what I did wrong and I cannot find a way to fix it.

No other app is making such problems for me.

• GarageBand for iOS 2.0.x (iPad): Edit notes in regions
    https://support.apple.com/kb/PH17246

• tjatja
    edited May 2017

Thanks, that helped - yes, I will read more!

;-)

But, for example the following - is just not intuitive!
    You need to read and lern it, and this is a bad approach, in my book ;-)

• @tja said:
    But, for example the following - is just not intuitive!
    You need to read and lern it, and this is a bad approach, in my book ;-)

I wouldn't dispute that, but "intuitive" is subjective and will often vary based on one's experience with software and how their mind works. Sometimes trial and error is how you learn if you're not one who likes to study. DAWs are complex pieces of software.

It's cool that you appear to be giving GarageBand a chance to grow on you, but you might have a better experience with Gadget. A lot of people seem to like it for MIDI editing. You can use the MIDI patterns you develop there in other apps, as well.

• edited May 2017

@tja said:
    Now it works like a charm and I can record all three channels separately and together at the same time - with Link and Electro, my setup is still broken with Pro:

Is this SP link Ableton linked with AB3 and into gadget? I just bought SP link yesterday and I like it. But I want the midi pieces recorded into gadget. Is it possible?

• tjatja
    edited May 2017

Now, this is "MIDI-linked", not Ableton-linked, but i think that Ableton was enabled.
    This is exactly what i did - i recorded 3 seperate MIDI channels from SP Pro into different Gadgets in Korg Gadget.
    Works like a charm!

Just enable Advanced MIDI and select one channel for each Gadget, you can see this at the "All/1", "All/2", "All/3" buttons!

• I can never figure out how to import midi file into SunVox.

@audiblevideo said:
    SunVox will gladly play externally generated midi files which beats inputting notes into the tracker >:)

GarageBand also does midi and audio.

• @MusicMan4Christ said:
    I can never figure out how to import midi file into SunVox.

@audiblevideo said:
    SunVox will gladly play externally generated midi files which beats inputting notes into the tracker >:)

GarageBand also does midi and audio.

MIDI from other app like Audioshare hit the share/copy button. Pick SunVox
    Badda-bing...

• edited May 2017

. I have tried tons of apps.. some absolute garbage.. anyways This Would be my recommendations

1. Garageband - this IS the place to try out first
    2. Loopy - Pure gold standard
    3. Thumbjam - this app is too versatile
    4. Soundprism Link + Soundprism Pro ( for more Midi Control)
    5. ChordPolyPad - This is the one i end up using the most. Great MIDI controller.
    6. Audiobus - A Must have Utility
    7. Audioshare - A must must have Utility
    8. GeoShred - My current favorite with MPE midi options
    9. Cleartune - If you are a guitarist
    10. Midi Guitar - If you are a guitarist you can jam with an IOS instrument app
    11. Korg Gadget - Mind blowingly good - I have Module and Im1 loaded in mined. Im1 sound bank is crazy good
    12. Any Synth app - way too many of them, you can choose as per taste. My preference - Magellan/Thor and Gadget
    13. Ifretless bass - Top notch , it 13 on my list because Gadget has Madrid
    14. Drums app are low in my list because I still end up going to Garageband Drummer or Gadget. Other than these two I use Luiz Martinez drums app (funk drummer my fav) and also Dm1
    15. Midiflow app - It can help you create virtual ports and Jam with Virtually any app
    16. Fx Apps - way too many of them, I like Holderness media app, Aufx series, Igor Vasilev
  • Ah, thanks.

I now have:

GarageBand (which is not my type of thing)
    SoundPrism (all)
    AudioShare
    AudioBus
    Korg Gadget

and

BeatWave
    LaunchPad
    Cubasis
    DM2
    Ruismaker (just my first AU)

and some more...

Would you say, that Loopy offers something that BeatWave plus LaunchPad do not offer?
    I cannot see that right now

Also, what Drum Machine?
    I did not use DM2 or Ruismaker so far

• MidiSTEPs. So much fun. Easy to use but able to go deeper if desired.

• OK, thanks all of you - esp. @hisdudeness for his long and detailed list!
    I acquired some of those Apps ;-)

My App Acquisition Syndrom is now at a temporary halt, I hope.

I had a look at midiSTEPs and like it, will get it.
    Also the regular version of Navichord.
    And then, I would like to get one of the three top Piano apps (iGrand, CPM Grand, KORG Module)...

Ufffff

• My current selection:

• Gadget and Poison are sadly only MIDI IN.
    But I am sure that I later will get other Synths and will concentrate on those that can MIDI out as well.

The selection of Instruments is able to record MIDI into Cubasis and get MIDI back again from Cubasis for recording Audio, when finished: Magellan, DM2, SoundPrism, ChordPolyPlay, GeoShred, Navichord and ThumbJam.

Sadly, this works better without AudioBus!
    I will later write about my problems and questions :wink:

I even got Auria Pro as it was one sale, but it cannot send MIDI in AudioBus - did not check further, as currently Cubasis fulfills all my needs. And it is difficult and time consuming to handle - in my first impression.
    Multitrack DAW is out, n-Track 8 is still interesting as is Audi Evolution - but I use Cubasis for now.

Four other ways to record Audio, in case of need, with ThumbJam, Blocs Wave, modstep and AUM.
    So far, I did not further instead AUM and modstep and what I could do with them.

And two Apps to handle Loops and maybe arrange finished patches: Launchpad and Beathawk

Great!

• tjatja
    edited June 2017

My problems with Cubasis:

It is such a simple basic program :neutral:

You can only import from iCloud (and worse ways).
    You cannot export things at all - just as some Cubasis file format and only to iTunes (one of the worst ways and one I cannot use).

The most natural thing would be to export a single MIDI or Audio Track - to AudioShare, of course. Same for imports.
    And then, of course import and export all tracks as zip file - also to AudioShare.
    Hellooooo, developers???

This means, I need to stay in Cubasis until I have finished Audio mix down.

I can get MIDI from other sources, but I cannot export MIDI for use in ther Apps or to archive them.

Having written this, it comes to me that this may be solved with AUM - exporting MIDI to AUM and then save it to AudioShare!
    My first possible use-case for AUM :smiley:

• No, it does not seem to be possible to route MIDI from Cubasis to AUM with AudioBus