Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

What selection of Apps for a total beginner?

Comments

• KRFT. And it's getting midi out soon

• I'd say that it will always a a combination of apps that does it.
    Even a sampler needs sources for sounds so it's not a one-stop solution.

Gadget is just about perfect for 'creating content' that can be used with other apps too.
    Cubasis in turn is quite useable as an AUv3/IAA host for creating content that can be used in Gadget.

Storing sounds in AudioShare makes them easily accessible to both Gadget and Cubasis and all the other apps.

It all depends on what the need is and how much one is willing to spend...
    ... it's always easier to expand once the foundation is solid.

• edited April 2017

@u0421793 said:

@Cib said:

@u0421793 said:
    Sunvox

Uhh, that would be one of the last thing i would recommend to beginners.
    But it´s a great thing!

Maybe you're correct - a new person should indeed waste a lot of money over a period of a couple of years before returning to Sunvox and regretting spending a lot of money on a bunch of glitzy apps in various random directions when all they really needed after all was Sunvox. Best go get spending on everything out there.

That sounds more like a personal story rather than a recommendation.
    But i know what you mean :D
    It could also works exact the other way while trying to get along with Sunvox.
    I recall for "demos are needed" for iOS apps so that people can find their tools.

• @telecharge said:
    While I have no reason to believe that both of those apps won't be really good, I can't help but think there are a number of people here who are pinning their hopes on the next big thing to solve all their problems.

The problem with that is there's always a next big thing.

Couldn't agree more. What I'd tell the OP is: Write 5 songs using ONLY GarageBand. Then write 5 songs using ONLY Gadget. This can easily be done, with exceptional quality. Then decide what else you really need/want.

Oh, and get Audioshare.

• Okkkkkkkk.
    The name Gadget was mentioned by far the most - combined with that 19,99 50% off chance, i just got it in time ;-)

I will play around with it and have a look at Audioshare and Cubasis.

Thanks a lot already!!!

• Ah, forgot this:

Do you think that my existing Apps play any role in this anymore?

• @tja said:
    Ah, forgot this:

I think so, I mean you can create more content for Blocs Wave using the other apps :)
    It all depends on what you really want to do...

• edited April 2017

@tja said:
    Ah, forgot this:

Since you like technical stuff, you can use SoundPrism as a MIDI controller for Gadget. :o

EDIT: Oops, you need SoundPrism Pro for that.

• @Korakios said:
    Hi @tja ,
    I recommend getting an all-in-one app for start.

Very this.

The app depends on what you want to do, musically. From what you've listed I'm guessing it's something vaguely electronic. If so, just plunk down the cash for Gadget and ignore everything else for a while and have fun making music and sounds. Eventually you'll find your self saying, "I wish I could _____ but I can't seem to in Gadget." At that point, you'll know what to do/buy next.

And welcome to the forum. :)

• Thank you very much, all of you.
    Right now, i am watching the intro video about Gadet and play around with it - feels great and confusing :D

@audiblevideo: I will read your posting more closely and reply a bit later!

• From my first impression, i cannot see much use for Auxy and Medly anymore - maybe for prototyping ideas and then pushing them to Gadget ... if that´s possible (will try later).

• @tja said:
    Thank you very much, all of you.
    Right now, i am watching the intro video about Gadet and play around with it - feels great and confusing :D

I hope you enjoy Gadget. If you find the video useful, please give @Hankastral a thumbs up. He also made a written guide (PDF) if you didn't notice the YouTube description. :+1:

https://sparky76.wixsite.com/website/tutorials

• edited April 2017

@tja Given your interest in tech and computing, Sunvox might be the best $6 you could spend.
    And Windows and Mac versions are free.

It's an app I bought very early on in my iOS journey (2011) and it's served me well since. Your learning curve given your background will likely be less steep than mine

• Sunvox is a good'n. It's got a learning curve on it but all those who make it to the mountaintop swear they can see, nay feel, God.

• @Joel75 said:
    Couldn't agree more. What I'd tell the OP is: Write 5 songs using ONLY GarageBand. Then write 5 songs using ONLY Gadget. This can easily be done, with exceptional quality. Then decide what else you really need/want.

Nowwwwwwww ....
    Just gave GarageBand a try, importing some track from MiniSynth 2.
    Played around with it, left the App .... and ..... "garage band is recording" in a red stripe on the display.

I searched nearly 10 minutes to find any indication that it mayyyy be recording and a way to stop it doing that.
    I failed.

I then resorted to killing the App instead - that helped.

I just hate GarageBand, it seems.
    I need intuitive Apps, and for me this is not the right thing.

• @tja To be fair, music apps you leave running in the background will give you the...

• I've noticed that with GarageBand, no idea why it does that but I don't think it really matters. I've gotten in the habit of never leaving music apps open in the background; I just kill them when I exit them. With Alchemy, a really nice sounding Drummer (seriously, delve into this and watch Thesoundtestroom's video on it), a sampler, and IAA and AU capability, I'm a pretty big fan. I think anyone getting into iOS recording would be well served really getting to know GB. Full disclosure, I end up exporting the tracks into Auria Pro to use the higher end mixing abilities and plugins in AP. But I think very highly of GB, although it's obviously not for everybody.

• ^ "Manually kill music apps you're finished with" is solid new comer (and old timer) advice. Also, restart the whole shebang regularly. Regardless of which apps you go with, this is a thing on iOS.

• Oh, and Song of the Month Club :)

• @tja said:

@ToMess said:
    Wait for beatmaker 3 and get a bunch of AU synths and effects.

Could only find a Beat Maker Go
    :-O

http://intua.net/ There is some info about it. Its not released yet, but they said its out in this 2nd quarter, so shouldnt take too long

• @telecharge said:

@Cib said:
    Yes, wait for BeatMaker 3 and NanoStudio 2 (which is THE iOS app i´m waiting for).

This is not directed at you, but to the community at large...

While I have no reason to believe that both of those apps won't be really good, I can't help but think there are a number of people here who are pinning their hopes on the next big thing to solve all their problems.

The problem with that is there's always a next big thing.

I've often fallen into this pattern in my 20s more times than I'd care to admit (even with that composer's block rut I was stuck in for years). What most people don't seem to realise is the apps don't make the music, the MUSICIAN makes the music. Once one has the proper knowledge, that person can make use of any app to make anything (or at least knows which apps to get without plopping down a crapton of money).

I recently discovered I can do a rudimentary mixdown in Xewton Music Studio on my iPhone, and it sounds decent enough. Garageband has more flexible tools but lacks a stereo widener to shrink the master mix to mono for volume adjustment purposes. Auria Pro is the best bet for a professional mixing job (and mastering too!). I like collecting synths myself given the wide variety of timbres I have in producing sounds.

@tja For a beginner's beatmaking tool, I can't recommend Beathawk enough. It's very simple, straight-forward, really top notch internal sounds and expansion packs. You can import samples you create in a different synth and time-stretch them in real time! All the sounds blend well together (which is one of the most important steps when mixing a track...selecting the sounds that blend the best together). Just get it mate. :) If you need any help with BH, feel free to PM me.

• edited May 2017

Number one recommendation and must have:
    KRFT

Also fun:
    Figure
    Thumbjam
    Triqtraq

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:
    For a beginner's beatmaking tool, I can't recommend Beathawk enough. It's very simple, straight-forward...

I'm curious if you're using BeatHawk on an iPhone. If so, do you find yourself favoring Pads, Pitch Mode, Step Editor, or Piano Roll?

I've been trying it on an iPhone, but I think it's just too small for me, and I'm thinking of moving it back on to an iPad.

• ALBALB
    edited May 2017

To the O.P.: I don't like Garageband either, and am currently considering other alternatives like Gadget, Cubasis or Auria.

As for other apps, you may want to get a good-sounding synth with a fair amount of depth like Thor. It's very tweakable, but the basic sounds are nice and do not lead to "ear fatigue".

• OK, I got AudioCopy, AudioShare, AudioBus 3 and Sun Vox.

AudioBus shows the following:

• It seems, that I cannot use Gadget as a target for records?

If that is true, what program to get which could be used?

I heard Cubasis 2 quite a lot....

• About other Synths, I think that I should have enough with Gadget for now.
    It offers a confusing number of options, which will take some time to learn.

• @tja said:
    It seems, that I cannot use Gadget as a target for records?

If that is true, what program to get which could be used?

I heard Cubasis 2 quite a lot....

You can record to audioshare and then import recordings from Gadget if i remember correctly