Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Drum Session vs Lumbeat apps

Which do you prefer and why? Pros/cons?

Help me choose. :-)
  1. Which do you prefer?21 votes
    1. Drum session
      38.10%
    2. Lumbeat apps
      61.90%

Comments

• Both actually.

• Pros/cons? More info?

• I don't know Drum Session but I do know that I LOVE the 'jam' setting in Future Drummer (plus the other Lumbeat apps). It keeps the beat, while even unattended, sounding alive and in the moment.

I am curious if Drum Session has that.

• I would have to say both also. They're different beasts, but both quality bits of software. I guess in the end you're going to have to listen closely to the products/output and decide which best suits what you want to make...

• For me, the fills have got to be as close to real as possible. Of the Lumbeat apps, I've only got Rock Drum Machine, but I've never liked the stock fills and haven't been able to adjust velocity enough to get a realistic attack. That may have more to do with my impatience, but I can say it doesn't work for me. I've never been able to make anything useful for my stuff.

Drum Session has some pretty sophisticated fills in the can, which can be easily modified to taste; this also applies to the stock patterns. I've found some of the stock fills to be a bit "machine-gunny", but I can adjust the velocity and get them where I want.

RDM certainly has it's devotees, but I'm not one of them.

• @supanorton said:
    For me, the fills have got to be as close to real as possible. Of the Lumbeat apps, I've only got Rock Drum Machine, but I've never liked the stock fills and haven't been able to adjust velocity enough to get a realistic attack. That may have more to do with my impatience, but I can say it doesn't work for me. I've never been able to make anything useful for my stuff.

Drum Session has some pretty sophisticated fills in the can, which can be easily modified to taste; this also applies to the stock patterns. I've found some of the stock fills to be a bit "machine-gunny", but I can adjust the velocity and get them where I want.

RDM certainly has it's devotees, but I'm not one of them.

I hear you, and it's a good answer, pointing up as it does the difference in needs/wants we all have. My favorite (by some distance) of the Lumbeats is Soft Drummer, because it reflects the feel I'm after....having said that, and in simple terms, I have to say the GB drummer(s) is a great and simple starting point just for writing, if not always for final 'production'.

• I really like Soft- and FunkDrummer. Nice drum sounds!

Imho the Drum Session UI is really good and I like the "composing" features. But the "different" kits in there pretty much all sound the same ( "Rock-style" ), not much variety.

• I like RDM and FDM a lot. What I don't like is the "crazy" fills. If I set up a soft grove, the fills is just hammering away. For a whole bar. Would like to be able to choose the length and intensity for the fills. So for now I'm on drumsession. But missing the jam feature :D

• Another vote for Funk and Soft Drummer here. Don't really like the sounds or grooves in Rock Drum Machine, too heavy for my tastes. Drum Session is also a little too "rock" for me, I prefer my drums a little more laid back. The GarageBand drummer is pretty awesome though, especially D'Arcy and Mason, they have a great feel.

• @Jakersjaw said:
    I like RDM and FDM a lot. What I don't like is the "crazy" fills. If I set up a soft grove, the fills is just hammering away. For a whole bar. Would like to be able to choose the length and intensity for the fills. So for now I'm on drumsession. But missing the jam feature :D

You can adjust it by the jam intensity setting I think. Not sure. Will have to test. You can definitely choose what is included in the fills though.

• edited May 2017

I like drum session ( and drum perfect pro as well) but I prefer the quality of the samples of LM's drums app and effects options (comp,delay,reverb).Moreover i like to Random beats in a drum app.

• Drum Session could really do with:

• more varied kits and patterns (too much 'rock' right now)
    • Jam type variances

But it's way of creating a whole song of drum is pretty nice.

FutureDrummer is my favourite of the LM's apps right now. Simply because it has midi out.

But I also love Cuban and AfroLatin (the other two I own) for their amazing patterns and sounds.

• @gonekrazy3000 said:

@Jakersjaw said:
    I like RDM and FDM a lot. What I don't like is the "crazy" fills. If I set up a soft grove, the fills is just hammering away. For a whole bar. Would like to be able to choose the length and intensity for the fills. So for now I'm on drumsession. But missing the jam feature :D

You can adjust it by the jam intensity setting I think. Not sure. Will have to test. You can definitely choose what is included in the fills though.

I know that I can remove the toms, but the duration of the fill would be nice to control to.
    And you can't have a side stick and a full snare hit in the same song, since you can't mix the kits.

• @Matt_Fletcher_2000 said:
    Drum Session could really do with:

• Jam type variances

FutureDrummer is my favourite of the LM's apps right now. Simply because it has midi out.

But I also love Cuban and AfroLatin (the other two I own) for their amazing patterns and sounds.

Hi ..

have you actually used Midi out on any of Luis martinez apps?

Midi is not implemented correctly on his apps... atleast on Iphone, dont know about IPAD

• edited May 2017

@hisdudeness said:

@Matt_Fletcher_2000 said:
    Drum Session could really do with:

• Jam type variances

Hi ..

Midi is not implemented correctly on his apps... atleast on Iphone, dont know about IPAD

Yes. I've used midi out from Future Drummer on iPhone 6SPlus. Successfully.

Don't choose the port of the destination app in FD. Just leave it as the default. Else you'll get a crash.

But other than that it works.

• @hisdudeness said:
    Hi ..

Hi. All the apps will be updated with Midi Out as Future Drummer have.

Don't choose the port of the destination app in FD. Just leave it as the default. Else you'll get a crash.

Yep, I know there are a few bugs in Future Drummer on iPhone. I've been too busy these days at home with other things, and had no time to sit on the computer. But next week I'll be free again to work on it, update apps and resolve bugs. Sorry and thanks for your patience ;)

• Family....always first :)
    Great job Luis! Love your apps so much!

@LuisMartinez said:

@hisdudeness said:
    Hi ..

Yep, I know there are a few bugs in Future Drummer on iPhone. I've been too busy these days at home with other things, and had no time to sit on the computer. But next week I'll be free again to work on it, update apps and resolve bugs. Sorry and thanks for your patience ;)

• @LuisMartinez said:

@hisdudeness said:
    Hi ..

Thanks Luis...

Love the FutureDrummer app.

I think there's a bug with loading your own grooves on the iPhone too (at least for me on an iPhone 6SPlus - even after reinstalling). Instant crash.

• @LuisMartinez said:

@hisdudeness said:
    Hi ..

could we please get sample import into future drummer ? the app is perfect and i have tons of samples on my ipad just waiting to be inserted into it. would even pay extra as an IAP if that would be incentive for you....

• @LuisMartinez said:
    next week I'll be free again to work on it, update apps and resolve bugs. Sorry and thanks for your patience ;)

Make the midi out note for the crash mappable, like the others are ? :)

• edited May 2017

@AndyPlankton said:

Sure

@gonekrazy3000 Let's solve issues first.

@Matt_Fletcher_2000 Thanks for the report

• @LuisMartinez said:

@AndyPlankton said:

Sure

• @AndyPlankton said:

@LuisMartinez said:

@AndyPlankton said:

Sure

Double thanks :).

Can't wait for the update. My favourite app at the moment. :).

• Editing a user-created groove still crashes RDM on iPod Touch 5G (iOS v9.latest). I don't have this problem on my iPad Air.

• Is it me or the app, MIDI appears to do nothing. Wondering why it's included. Please help. Thanks.

• A nice addition would also be more velocity choices than just the two. Also round robbin sample playback might make the grooves a little more human. Great program! Use it often just limited without midi export, synch, and communication.

• How do you save EQ and effect settings?

• @dokwok2 said:
    Editing a user-created groove still crashes RDM on iPod Touch 5G (iOS v9.latest). I don't have this problem on my iPad Air.

This seems to be fixed in v5, which just came out today. THANK YOU, Luis. I also notice that, with v5, the app starts with your last-used pattern: a small but welcome feature.

Would it be possible to have the app remember your last BPM instead of reverting to 101 bpm every time it starts?