Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Duet Display ... using IPad as a monitor..

Just came across this app that turns your iPad into a touch monitor...
Now won't it be nice if your music apps could function as a VSTi Plugin Instrument in your Desktop DAW?

Edit... BTW, Duet App seem to be on a 50% off sale ($9.95)

Comments

• edited April 2017

@RajahP said:

Now won't it be nice if your music apps could function as a VSTi Plugin Instrument in your Desktop DAW?

IConnectivity iConnect Audio 4+

• Ish, i thought everyone knew about DD, been using it for a while now, my second monitor. Awesome app but it seems to be finicky about usb ports, make sure it's connected directly to the mobo.

• Also check splashtop2...

• edited April 2017

I just bought duet today, funny that you mention it. I also got splashtop last week - duet is definitely better right now, especially in the touch department. They've both been helpful so far though.

I should clarify that I'm referring to splashtop xdisplay, not the remote desktop.

• How does touch work in duet? In the video he just seemed to be using the mouse on the mac.

• @mrufino1 said:
    I just bought duet today, funny that you mention it. I also got splashtop last week - duet is definitely better right now, especially in the touch department. They've both been helpful so far though.

I should clarify that I'm referring to splashtop xdisplay, not the remote desktop.

I tried booth splastop 2 full and duet. I remember splashtop suited my needs better but I can't remember why since it has passed more than a year since I sold my mac mini...

• Astropad is actually the best solution if you want to use your iPad as multi-touch input device when connected to your Mac. I use it from time to time when running Ableton on my Mac.

http://astropad.com/standard/

• I have a feeling these apps don't work as smoothly when using ipad with windows.

• edited April 2017

Astropad is a different (Apple specific) story because it doesn't support Windoze.
    Afai read in reviews all wireless connections suck more or less in some way.
    Also got the Duet recently and connected it to a Win 8 tablet (as a test), and made it the main screen with 2500x1536 pixel.
    Smooth action, but it's just a plain mouse emulation, no right click and I didn't find wheel support either (maybe I didn't search enough), let alone gestures.
    Maybe that's part of the Pro version, sold on a yearly subscription fee for 20 bucks and is advertized as Apple Pen compatible.

• edited April 2017

Splashtop 2 has all these things (right click, trackpad mode, etc) and I remember it being well implemented...

• @Dubbylabby said:
    Splashtop 2 has all these things (right click, trackpad mode, etc) and I remember it being well implemented...

Splashtop 2 is not equivalent to duet though, isn't it a remote desktop? Meaning you're accessing your computer through the iPad. Duet, air display, and splashtop xdisplay are using the iPad as a second monitor for the computer.

Anyway, duet with harrison mixbus wasn't as touch friendly as I'd hoped, but I only had a minute to try it. Duet does work well as a second monitor though.

• edited April 2017

Well the title of the post don't specify as "second" monitor. I just shared the info/experience I have with them. I bought duet and use it maybe once but of course I used that setup without any monitor, just the iPad and the mac mini. ;)

• that's exactly what I had in mind when checking the Duet: use it as the main screen with a Mac Mini or a similiary sized Win box.

• @Dubbylabby said:
    Well the title of the post don't specify as "second" monitor. I just shared the info/experience I have with them. I bought duet and use it maybe once but of course I used that setup without any monitor, just the iPad and the mac mini. ;)

Yes, I wasnt saying you were wrong, just that splashtop has two different apps that do similar things but with slightly different purposes. However- great idea with just the one screen for the Mac mini - I never thought of that! I may try that out, could come in use someday.

• Aren't all fo these remote vpn? Is any of the working as usb hdmi?
    Asking sincerely not feeling harash of any kind @mrufino1, just curiosity, since in my eyes, splashtop different apps seemed the full app features disseminated in lower price packages but not different technology in anyway.

Little offtopic:
    IMO The best remote control app is lemur but until them add true canvas support (to allow things like waveforms) in most cases it isn't enough. Another example of this "focused" approach is Cycling Mira app but again only works with Max7 and so...

At last I sold my mac mini to buy an ipad mini 4 and left desktop definetly. I prefer to buy old iOS devices (iPhone 4/4s iPod touch 6 gen...) and make pseudo-standalone machines with dedicated function in each one (synth, looper, sampler... and so).

Hope it helps someone as solution for their actual research in this field ;)
    Offtopic end.

• Well, this app totally ruined a new computer built I was just putting together.. Wiped out my OS system and other things...
    pretty pissed,,

• I'm pretty curious how that app (I assume by the Duet folks) managed to wipe out it's host... o:)

• @Telefunky said:
    I'm pretty curious how that app (I assume by the Duet folks) managed to wipe out it's host... o:)

There's a program one must download from their site for the host pc/mac..
    So much time I put into this machine.. Ableton never ran so sweet and fast... all gone.. Because of these reckless folks..

• @RajahP feel your pain - weird that a display driver would screw your machine up though...

Maybe go to System Restore and pick a point prior to installing the Duet driver?

• @wigglelights said:
    @RajahP feel your pain - weird that a display driver would screw your machine up though...

Maybe go to System Restore and pick a point prior to installing the Duet driver?

Did all that... even had the 'nutty genius kid' check it out....

The Restore points did not work (Windows: Restore was unsuccessful) and all other points were wiped out as a consequence...

Anyway, I'm moving on....

• That's odd that it would erase your computer like that, I haven't had any issues at all.

• As an aside I can vouch for Splashtop as a great remote desktop solution, I've been using it for years between iThings and Windows machines.

• The Windows drivers for Duet Display messed up 3 of my computers - 2 laptops & a desktop, win7 and win8 - specifically it screwed with the shutdown/startup process and sleep/awake no longer worked - Blue screens & hangs on a regular basis. After uninstalling the drivers, no more problems with crashes but I think the startup time has still been extended. Biggest waste of my money, that app! I don't know how for sure, but I can understand it destroying a windows install... it's obviously more than just a display driver.
    Although not quite the same kind of app, I have used Splashtop Remote for a long time but recently I started to wonder about the mechanics of it - after all, the Windows driver essentially opens a link to an internet server and that's what you connect to with the iOS app - does that mean your remote session is coming via that server? It's hardly secure is it...?

• @Durwin99 said:
    The Windows drivers for Duet Display messed up 3 of my computers - 2 laptops & a desktop, win7 and win8 - specifically it screwed with the shutdown/startup process and sleep/awake no longer worked - Blue screens & hangs on a regular basis. After uninstalling the drivers, no more problems with crashes but I think the startup time has still been extended. Biggest waste of my money, that app! I don't know how for sure, but I can understand it destroying a windows install... it's obviously more than just a display driver.
    Although not quite the same kind of app, I have used Splashtop Remote for a long time but recently I started to wonder about the mechanics of it - after all, the Windows driver essentially opens a link to an internet server and that's what you connect to with the iOS app - does that mean your remote session is coming via that server? It's hardly secure is it...?

Ah, that's good info then, I am using duet (and xdisplay) with my mac, but didn't try it yet with my windows 7 laptop. I don't really need it on that, but I was going to try it just in case I did. I only use that laptop now for live recording via ethernet from a Yamaha m7cl, but mix on my Mac, so no need to mess with a working setup.

• @RajahP said:
    Just came across this app that turns your iPad into a touch monitor...

Edit... BTW, Duet App seem to be on a 50% off sale ($9.95)

Its literally why i bought the iconectivity Ica4+. i do use the music apps as vsts in my daw.
    upto 5 stereo apps or 10 mono apps :D

• iCA is for shure the most easy and straight forward way of integration...
    btw my crappy Dell survived a reboot with Duet stuff installed and seems to behave as usual.

• edited April 2017

I just wish an ipad could act as another ipads second screen over bluetooth or wifi.

• @AudioGus said:
    I just wish an ipad could act as another ipads second screen over bluetooth or wifi.

For what? You can remote control one iDevice from other with something like Lemur...

• edited May 2017

the Duet app is a really good solution as the main screen of a Mac Mini or similiar that's supposed to be moved around.
    The OSX part is automatically installed as a startup item, so you can login without a real screen connected, but you need a mouse and a keyboard.

There are no gestures to replace mouse functionality, which means you're restricted to taps for a single click and tap drag for a selection rectangle.
    No dragable scrollbar operation.
    During connection the iPad is charged by the Mac.
    If you need your Mac occasionally while working in IOS just flip to the duet app - wakeup from powersaving works well, disconnect/reconnect the cable doesn't interfere with operation.
    The Mac even handled an OS update including reboot via the Duet app.
    Seems they did a solid part on the OSX side, not sure about Windoze yet.
    ps: I used an Air-2 and left the automatic choice of resolution. Switching to retina or high-res (whatever that means) gave strange results with displaced cursor or cutoff screens.
    Didn't dig deeper as the results the app's choice of resolution were nice.

• @Telefunky that is inspiring! What Mac OS are you on?