Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

LP-5 with Samplr, with some Sugar Bytes on top... Mmmm good.

edited April 2017 in General App Discussion

Even with LP-5's nice update earlier in the year it remained relegated to folder status for me, until I dusted it off today.

Try this recipe:

-Dump a phrase into Samplr
-Create a phrase in Samplr of 1, 2, 4, 8, or 16 bars
-Open LP-5, connect Samplr to it's IAA input, and send the MIDI output to Samplr
-Go back to Samplr, connect the MIDI input clock to LP-5, the Samplr clock will turn red indicating it is in sync with LP-5
-Go back to LP-5, set the bar length at the top, tap and hold a clip space, tap record in the loop section, then tap play on the transport to record

This should give you a nice clean loop ready to go in LP-5. Create as many loops as you like. After that, add some sweet Sugar Bytes:

-Once you have some loops created in LP-5, disconnect Samplr
-Open up a Sugar Bytes effects app and connect it to an LP-5 IAA effects slot
-Hit play on LP-5
-Get funky for about 30 minutes, it's okay if you overcook
-Use the in app record function in LP-5 for a finished product

And if you want to share it with the kids, they will enjoy too!

Comments

• You can swap out Samplr for SECTOR and it works just as good, just set the MIDI sync in SECTOR to receive.

Other apps work too, if they have MIDI sync (like Egoist for example), I am specifically isolating it to apps without a robust song mode (for which LP-5 plays that role in this setup).

• Nice tip. I have found LP5 to have the smoothest audio engine when making tempo changes. Always enjoy using it when I do. But loopy still wins in most workflows...

• LP-5 has escaped my attention so far. I see it's 9.99 for the sample import which is cool. Can clips be launched via midi (physical controller etc)?

• @lukesleepwalker said:
    Nice tip. I have found LP5 to have the smoothest audio engine when making tempo changes. Always enjoy using it when I do. But loopy still wins in most workflows...

Yes, I got excited about this but then I though: wait a minute, loopy kinda does that. It is not a launcher as such but not far off.

• Hey, also

What does LP stand for? Launch Pad? ;)

• Have wanted to pick up LP-5 for ages, but I just don't have any immediate need for it.

• Samplr is proving to be a bit tricky in some instances with this technique, because of the nature of how Samplr works with quantization and all. Then you have to take into consideration effects tails. Still, this was a nice surprise to see Samplr being able to do something like this after not being updated for so long.

@supadom said:
    LP-5 has escaped my attention so far. I see it's 9.99 for the sample import which is cool. Can clips be launched via midi (physical controller etc)?

Clips can be launched with Note On messages, and you can control other things with CC messages (like volume). The MIDI implementation appears to be well thought out and considerate of what is needed for different set ups, though I haven't tried everything.

• Also, I have been getting weird bugs in Effectrix: not being able to draw "notes" (or whatever you call them) all of a sudden, and one of the edit windows not closing. The hit and miss of iOS music apps is persistent!

• edited April 2017

@supadom said:

@lukesleepwalker said:
    Nice tip. I have found LP5 to have the smoothest audio engine when making tempo changes. Always enjoy using it when I do. But loopy still wins in most workflows...

Yes, I got excited about this but then I though: wait a minute, loopy kinda does that. It is not a launcher as such but not far off.

Yep, one thing that LP-5 offers that is nice is the ability to host IAA effects without having to route tracks through AB or AUM. So, I can load Turnado right in the app without having to do a bunch of configuration elsewhere.

Another nice thing about LP-5 is that you can use external midi controller to launch "next scene". That's a handy one that others (I'm looking at you, modstep) have missed.

• Okay this isn't all that great, as I'm finding a lot of other apps have the same problem: clips ending up not really optimized for looping when recorded into LP-5.

Best results usually involve recording into AudioShare, adding short fades, them simply importing... Which makes it a lot more cumbersome. Oh well.