Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Chordflow now available in the App Store!

Comments

• Think I need to go and watch the video(s) again. I've got the guy on one shoulder screaming "7 quid for a toy like Figure!" and his adversary whispering "This could be the one.." :)

• @TheVimFuego said:
    @JohnnyGoodyear I have picked up an on-going theme in some of your posts and consider it a definite plus for you if your choices have resulted in healthy results.

I think, maybe, we all have itches we need to scratch and being aware and mindful about them, especially the triggers, is the first step.

In this spirit I try to be a better gatekeeper for all of my thoughts whether considering the next app purchase or just something more mundane.

No worries mate. The Venn diagram of indulgence is slightly different for us all in its time frame and scope :)

• I did the beta but didn't get my head wrapped around exactly what the app does. Can someone that has used it extensively explain what exactly the coloured lines do ? Are the a single note from each chord transposed across the octaves ? I think that's what they are but would rather if some one confirmed it.

• Same here. I'm totally confused. It's a simple interface but I need at least some documentation or video instruction. I don't need another app where I just make changes hoping for a totally random happy accident and with no way to ever reproduce the tune that's in my head.

• @robertreynolds said:

@studioAB said:

@robertreynolds said:
    How do I write in chords? It only seems to allow individual notes.

You can draw them i with one note per color.

Sorry I'm sick right now with a nasty cold but, what?

You mean to write a three-note chord in I have to perform 5 button presses and select three individual notes from different pencil colors and put them on an unlabeled scale?

How is this easier than Gadget chord mode? I have to be missing something.

LOL I didn't say it was ideal and I don't like it either but that's the only way I see of doing it. It would be great if there is a way to enter chords. I love the chord mode in Gadget btw and wish more apps had that feature.

• @robertreynolds said:
    Same here. I'm totally confused. It's a simple interface but I need at least some documentation or video instruction. I don't need another app where I just make changes hoping for a totally random happy accident and with no way to ever reproduce the tune that's in my head.

Me too. Lets have a kiss approach to a video please

• edited April 2017

Umm....you can enter chords. Just like chordbot. You choose the chord and then the arp sticks to the notes of said chord. You can make chord sequences. This is the whole point of the app.

• @gonekrazy3000 @robertreynolds This might answer some of your questions.

• @studioAB said:

@robertreynolds said:

@studioAB said:

@robertreynolds said:

You mean to write a three-note chord in I have to perform 5 button presses and select three individual notes from different pencil colors and put them on an unlabeled scale?

LOL I didn't say it was ideal and I don't like it either but that's the only way I see of doing it. It would be great if there is a way to enter chords. I love the chord mode in Gadget btw and wish more apps had that feature.

Shit sorry. I didn't mean for my WTF-tone to appear directed at you.

I'm just mystified that an app with "chord" in the name and a description calling out "50 chord types" would be so labor-some at actually allowing the creation of chords. I feel like I purchased a totally different app from the description.

As a previous poster mentioned, this currently seems like just a more rigid version of flux pad. I've messed around with it this morning and I'm able to create some old-time western player piano type melodies but I'd like to do more.

I'm hopeful it continues to evolve. I never got on with the developers other apps but I always felt like they were good quality and could see how they would be useful to others.

This one doesn't make sense to me at all.

• @db909 said:
    Umm....you can enter chords. Just like chordbot. You choose the chord and then the arp sticks to the notes of said chord. You can make chord sequences. This is the whole point of the app.

Chord sequence yes but I was talking about chords not note sequences made of chord notes.

• @robertreynolds said:

@studioAB said:

@robertreynolds said:

@studioAB said:

@robertreynolds said:

I'm just mystified that an app with "chord" in the name and a description calling out "50 chord types" would be so labor-some at actually allowing the creation of chords. I feel like I purchased a totally different app from the description.

As a previous poster mentioned, this currently seems like just a more rigid version of flux pad. I've messed around with it this morning and I'm able to create some old-time western player piano type melodies but I'd like to do more.

I'm hopeful it continues to evolve. I never got on with the developers other apps but I always felt like they were good quality and could see how they would be useful to others.

I also interpreted the "50 chord types" in the description as being able to create chords easily (not just draw in note sequences based on selected chords). I look forward to seeing how this app evolves. I do like it though.

• So you guys want block chords? If that's the case, you just select your chord and then drawn in parallel lines with the straight line tool and it will play the chord as a block rather than a sequence of notes. If that's not the case then yeah maybe it doesn't have what your after

• It's 4 different solo voices that combine to form chords/bass notes etc based on the chord type selected and there are plenty of chords there. Make sure to try both pen tools because they do different things.

One very cool thing to try is change the bass note on the fly on the chord page while it's playing and it creates a moving counterpoint bass note against the static chord type. Another very cool thing is that while each Section has the same tempo they can have different time signatures so it's very cool to switch between a section in 5/4 to another section in 7/4, this alone takes it out of the EDM realm of non stop 4/4. Make sure to change the beat division (1/8, 1/16 etc) and play with the length and duration of each section. When different MIDI channels arrive along with the ability to copy and rename sections to verse, chorus whatever it will be even better. I think Bluetooth MIDI might be in the pipeline too.

• sequencer is just chord tones remember. So here's an example of them sounding as chords rather than arps

• @gmslayton said:
    @gonekrazy3000 @robertreynolds This might answer some of your questions.

Got it. Makes sense now. Thank you for the video. I have no idea how I'm going to get this to fit into my workflow. I typically map out a song by writing my chord progressions first, then layer on melodies. With this I'll have to map each chord and length out separately in this app to then begin writing in melodies. It sounds super awkward and unintuitive but I'm willing to give it a go.

• It is quite easy making chords by drawing in the different color lines. I am liking this app quite a bit the more I play with it.

• @db909 said:

sequencer is just chord tones remember. So here's an example of them sounding as chords rather than arps

That's a lot of work though. Imagine writing a four chord progression that way

• @robertreynolds said:

@studioAB said:

@robertreynolds said:

@studioAB said:

@robertreynolds said:

The difference between this and a Korg Chord Mode is that instead of all the notes having the same timing and relation to each other, you can easily add articulations while still staying within the overall chord. It can make for much more interesting ear candy. It's like comparing a rock power chord to a banjo player playing notes all over the place— they're both still in the same chord "range".

• @robertreynolds said:

@db909 said:

sequencer is just chord tones remember. So here's an example of them sounding as chords rather than arps

That's a lot of work though. Imagine writing a four chord progression that way

bout the same as a piano roll. But it does need work. There's no way to audition chords while listening to the whole progression.

• edited April 2017

@robertreynolds said:

@gmslayton said:

Got it. Makes sense now. Thank you for the video. I have no idea how I'm going to get this to fit into my workflow. I typically map out a song by writing my chord progressions first, then layer on melodies. With this I'll have to map each chord and length out separately in this app to then begin writing in melodies. It sounds super awkward and unintuitive but I'm willing to give it a go.

This is more for making melodies and harmonies I think rather than playing block chords.

With this you take your written chord progression and enter it into the sections
    Then any entries on the screen will correspond to notes in the chord for that part of the section.

• I get what the Dev has done here now.

It can technically do chords, although in a somewhat cumbersome manner

It does melodies constrained to the notes with a chord really damn well, along with timing variations within sections. Lots of useful stuff there.

It doesn't do both of the above at the same time.

I can see how it will be useful to many. It's just not going to be all that useful to me. I don't want to pile on anymore, so I'll lurk from now on.

Still wish the Dev lots of success and congrats on the launch.

• Thought for a long time, that I knew what a chord is. Now I'm not so sure...

• This is really making me wish I could flip a switch in Cubasis and noodle with the notes in the same way, in a long form way rather than locked into loops. It's very free and easy.

• @aaronpc said:
    This is really making me wish I could flip a switch in Cubasis and noodle with the notes in the same way, in a long form way rather than locked into loops. It's very free and easy.

To me this is its main selling point.

A possible workflow for other DAW users like gadget might be plunk out your chord progressions in that app, then point ChordFlow at one of the other instruments and melody noodle.

Personally (although it can be frustrating in coordinating everything) I like the multitool approach to iOS music making. Each tool gives its own approach and voice.

For me this isn't so much of a male a song I have in my head tool, but a tool of exploration.

• I think a better workflow is using suggester to come up with a chord progression you like. And then entering those chords into chordflow.

• @gonekrazy3000 said:
    I think a better workflow is using suggester to come up with a chord progression you like. And then entering those chords into chordflow.

Or that.

• @audiblevideo said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:
    I think a better workflow is using suggester to come up with a chord progression you like. And then entering those chords into chordflow.

Or that.

indeed :)

• @gmslayton said:

so basically i called it. notes from the selected chords transposed. kewl :)

• @robertreynolds said:
    I get what the Dev has done here now.

It does melodies constrained to the notes with a chord really damn well, along with timing variations within sections. Lots of useful stuff there.

I can see how it will be useful to many. It's just not going to be all that useful to me. I don't want to pile on anymore, so I'll lurk from now on.

Model post in many ways.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@robertreynolds said:
    I get what the Dev has done here now.

Model post in many ways.

Yep. Model post for acknowledging strengths of the app while realizing is isn't a good personal fit. +1