Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

OT Digitakt in the wild

edited April 2017 in Other

http://www.sonicstate.com/news/2017/04/19/superbooth-17-elektron-digitakt-we-finally-hear-it-/

...I wonder how we can connect this to an iPad and whether the MIDI outs would be useful in driving apps?

Comments

• This is the first piece of gear (outside the OP1) that have been actually tempted to buy.

Although I'm not sure how much of the lust is obscuring the fact that it could easily be a Gadget Recife hidden in a really really cool-looking box....

• I agree we've got apps that cover mostly everything it does, but there's something about this box I'm in need of. Dunno what that is exactly. I miss my OP1 but couldn't get on with the sound...too thin, and figure this could fill that gap. I know it's completely non-analog, but desire it all the same. 12 months interest - free credit says it's gonna likely happen, too.

Plus I cannot use Gadget to save my life.

• edited April 2017

@noodldoodl said:
    I agree we've got apps that cover mostly everything it does, but there's something about this box I'm in need of. Dunno what that is exactly. I miss my OP1 but couldn't get on with the sound...too thin, and figure this could fill that gap. I know it's completely non-analog, but desire it all the same. 12 months interest - free credit says it's gonna likely happen, too.

I find it amusing that you can't use Gadget but have no hesitation jumping into the Elektron hardware! Amusing and inspiring.
    It does some pretty cool things that Gadget certainly can't. And as a matter of fact, I'm actually having trouble with Recife — there's the title of a minor British novel from somebody just outside the Angry Young Man coterie: "Trouble With Recife."

• edited April 2017

Sorry, I should rephrase. It's not that I can't use it through lack of understanding, I just don't like it but don't have many good reasons to explain why. I didn't get along with it on first impressions and that attitude stuck. Still won't uninstallit it, though. It was bloody expensive ;o)

The things that draw me in are:-

Parameter locking
    Sample locking
    Microtiming
    Midi out x8
    Retriggering
    Trig conditions
    Polymetric timing
    Seemingly decent effects
    Nice sounding filter
    LFO per channel
    Physical knobs and buttons to twiddle and mash
    Half the price of Rytm that I've been lusting over for months

Plus I only have my ipad to play with and yearn for some hardware.

Appreciate Elektron's niche work flow can be love or hate but Cenk has damn well hypnotised me with his brief demo.

• That demo is good. Most intrigued about the hands on sampling and the really nice sounding filter, bit crushing and distortion. Elektron is just in a league of it's own...

• Did anybody catch if the sampler/sequencer are polyphonic?

• @nrgb said:
    Did anybody catch if the sampler/sequencer are polyphonic?

It's not

• First i thought that this wouldnt be so great, but after seeing that long cuckoo demo, i think this thing is great. I think it would make a nice companion for ipad.

• @noodldoodl said:
    I agree we've got apps that cover mostly everything it does, but there's something about this box I'm in need of. Dunno what that is exactly. I miss my OP1 but couldn't get on with the sound...too thin, and figure this could fill that gap. I know it's completely non-analog, but desire it all the same. 12 months interest - free credit says it's gonna likely happen, too.

You definitely didn't explore the OP-1 thoroughly enough. Between unison mode on the synths, the EQ, filter and Drive settings, the OP got hella thick.

• Lack of polyphony definitely is a deal breaker for me. Still patiently awaiting my pre-ordered MPC Live.

• Rather opt for the octotrack, even though it's more expensive. Been eyeing one for a while and the Digitakt won't sway me.

• Would you consider the Digitakt comparable to the Maschine Mikro?

• @nrgb said:
    Did anybody catch if the sampler/sequencer are polyphonic?

it's not polyphonic but you can sample a polyphonic source, like a pad or something like that and then trigger different start times with parameter locking to get different timbres and/or notes (if you record a performance containing more notes).

• well, initially i was interested, then i wasn't, now i...goddammiit. i need to stay away from forums and clear my youtube subscriptions. .....

anyways, i've had a bunch of elektrons: the analog four, the analog rhythmn, the octatrack and the analog keys. this seems easier to handle than most. but don't know if this is another step backwards in terms of functionality. the cool factor is having a physical box that feels hefty that you can play and do tons of performance things, but the setup and ease and versatility of apps is not to be matched. right now i have a "rig" setup of aum, using mostly gadget (bilbabo) for multitracked drums, controlling levels and solo/mutes with the kontrol studio. nothing i have used is as quick for me to setup good sounding drums and once done, nothing is as easier to move on to the next stage.
    i usually have a hard time finding a good workflow with samplers. preproducing bits to then work on is not the way my brain works, but this seems better than the octa and the ar, because getting the sounds in and assigning them seems way easier. and with overbridge i can get those individual tracks into my project. another option is something like a mfb tanzmous controlled by modstep, where you can live tweak the sounds.

but other than wanting to try out a new toy i think i would be better served with a really good controller, just set up for an app drum machine.

• no stereo samples, and no battery..... but otherwise it's what circuit users dream of

• no reason on gods green earth why this thing shouldn't be battery opt
    looks like a dr-5 drum machine

• has patternings probability, independent track lengths, and circuits sample flip to name just a few of it's delicious features

• This looks amazing and I'm always a sucker for a super listenable musical demo. Props to the presenter.

I don't have a ton of room for hardware but this looks awesome. I have a feeling I can get 80% there with elastic, which has made me super interested in dusting it off this weekend.

• This looks really great.. honestly considering swapping my preorder from mpc live to this.
    One thing to note is this thing can drive 8 iOS apps via midi at once. The midi tracks are polyphonic (4 notes) and they can have probability settings on steps too. Would be very powerful driving an iPad via this beast

• Actually might do this and get the mpc live next. The two together would be a powerful combo

• I like the idea of the combo as well, but first they will have to implement stereo sampling, and battery operation at a minimum... look at the mpc live, all those damn (irritating lights) and that touch screen and they still put in a 5hour battery..... elektron has no excuse for leaving it out, not with this design, they should offer something that gives you 10 hours of battery life with that terrible screen.

I'm going to wait for the next version

• @kobamoto said:
    I like the idea of the combo as well, but first they will have to implement stereo sampling, and battery operation at a minimum... look at the mpc live, all those damn (irritating lights) and that touch screen and they still put in a 5hour battery..... elektron has no excuse for leaving it out, not with this design, they should offer something that gives you 10 hours of battery life with that terrible screen.

I'm going to wait for the next version

I guess I will get the one that arrives in my local shop first. I am worried about bugs in the live too. There's a lot of rumours the software is holding back the mpc from stores.
    This box looks like so much fun to sit down and jam on though, I'm really not sure which to get first anymore !
    In one of the dateline demo videos the way he is scanning through a long sample while it's playing is really cool. I want to know how well it switches patterns too, haven't really seen that yet.

• I have to admit the new videos of this are really tempting me.

• edited April 2017

when I first saw it I felt the same way, was thinking do I need to cancel my order for the Live but then the more I watched the more I thought how great the combination would be... I'll be honest I'm extremely disappointed in the omissions when they all donned on me, and then I thought well maybe just f. it and get it anyway cause the good parts are so good, but then I had the second thought... the omissions are so obvious that maybe they are using this one to test the waters before they drop the righteous model next year ... if that turns out to be the case I would be royally peeved after having spent the $679.... so now my plan is to try to let patterning, elastic drums, and seekbeats sate my thirst until they release another one.
    I've been through this already with the circuit. The iPad can't replace the mpc live, and that's even if bm3 is all its hoped to be and Samplr actually gets updated but with a little bit of fairy dust it might be able to keep me on the fence for the digitakt

No velocity sensitive pads
    No stereo samples
    no battery
    64mb sample mem

(cartmans voice) dammit !!!

• Yep, this looks like my dream drum machine. I don't really care about stereo samples in a drum machine (though it seems a shame to not at least allow users to pair channels to make it easy for when it's required).

Shame the pads aren't velocity sensitive for sure. Wish they would have at least included a single responsive pad for real time recording without needing to hook up an external pad set.

The parameter locking, easy sampling (and position mangling), visual step offsets and variable length pattern parts are all pretty huge to me. The killer is that there's just enough synthesis to move any sample into a place very different from where it started.

The amount of encoder twisting is kind of disturbing. Do other Elektron boxes allow you to hold shift or something to change the values quicker?

@mireko_2 said:
    The midi tracks are polyphonic (4 notes) and they can have probability settings on steps too.

I missed this. Where did you see that about the 4 note polyphony? Seeing a demo of this part will be the make or break for me. I have enough drum machines to sell to fund this. The MPC Live is better spec'd in pretty much every way but this is dedicated in a way that's very appealing.

• If you press on the encoder and turn it moves faster than just turning it normally. Holding shift and turning usually will move it to one extreme or the other, or the midpoint.

• @syrupcore said:

The parameter locking, easy sampling (and position mangling)

Combined with my iPad...and I'm gone...

• @kobamoto said:
    elektron has no excuse for leaving it out

Unless they never intended this thing to leave the studio and run on its own ;)

• @Tarekith said:
    If you press on the encoder and turn it moves faster than just turning it normally. Holding shift and turning usually will move it to one extreme or the other, or the midpoint.

Thanks.

Just realizing it doesn't have a trig and/or analog sync out. That's definitely a bummer for me but not a deal breaker. Beautiful that it has a MIDI THRU though.