Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Takete: Anyone still using this?

I feel like this app could have revolutionized the ios music app game. It was so ahead of its time.

2 years ago anyway.

Question, is there a way to record a part you play on the synth and use that riff/loop in that project?

Or is the synth for ears and outside app audio use only?

I feel like I am missing something on this app. Maybe it is the holy grail in disguise, I just wish a tutorial would enlighten me on how to get it there.

Comments

• edited April 2017

I just purchased Takete last week. It's running really well on my new iPad 5, no crashes. I've been going through the documentation and video tutorials trying to wrap my head around it. The documentation is thin so I'm adding to it. The videos go very fast and I find it hard to discern which buttons are being selected yet slowly but surely I'm starting to understand.
    8 tracks of video and/or 8 tracks of audio/instruments with effects, audio reactive video, macros, automation, recording and Ableton Link support is brilliant. He said in one video it's his solution to his old Ableton Live/Resolume setup so it makes sense that it is incredibly deep. I'm going to try to make templates for various scenarios and save them for later use.
    You should be able to record a in app synth performance and create a file player track. It's also possible there's automation for the in app synth but I'm not there yet. Have you tried contacting the dev? He has answered a few of my questions already.

• Just in case you haven't found the documentation, it is here: http://refinedstochastic.com/takete/help.php

• Here's my first modification to the official documentation:
    There are several ways to load Audio and Video files into Takete. Supported audio files are 44.1kHz 16bit stereo .wav. Supported video files are .mov and .mp4.

Audio and Video files can be added by selecting Global -> Manage -> iCloud. You'll see a list of folders in your iCloud storage. If you press the Locations button top left on this page you'll see options load files from DropBox or locally from the excellent iOS file app AudioShare should you have it installed on your iPad.

Audio and Video files can also be added using a connected computer through the File Sharing section of Takete in iTunes as shown below.

• *Note if you create a new session, all faders default to zero. When created new sessions are automatically saved as New Session - Current Date, Current Time.

• This app runs phenomenally well on my iPad pro and I've made a few sketches with it. I love it to bits.

WARNING: there are boobies and intense flashing effects...you have been warned.

• And what about Vidibox? It's more affordable (1/10th the cost of Takete) and seemed to have responsive developers but there have been no updates for almost three years.

• @bigcatrik said:
    And what about Vidibox? It's more affordable (1/10th the cost of Takete) and seemed to have responsive developers but there have been no updates for almost three years.

I love VidiBox but as you noticed it looks abandoned and it has 1/10th functionality of Takete. Takete was just updated February 14th. The dev Jonatan is helpful and friendly.

• @noodldoodl said:
    This app runs phenomenally well on my iPad pro and I've made a few sketches with it. I love it to bits.

WARNING: there are boobies and intense flashing effects...you have been warned.

Ok definitely NSFW but where did you get the video from, for research purposes of course! :p

Seriously been looking around for some film footage, for VJ type stuff beeple is awesome. Like the way you edited the video, did you do it via midi or tweak stuff on the fly while your track played? I did a video to promote a release a couple of months back, thought it came out quite well.

• @musikmachine I'm at work currently but will answer you in full later, with some links to some delicious sauce ;o)

• I like the tunes and the videos work well in both. I do a takete vid when I complete a track. It doesnt happen often. Here is my last one .....

• edited April 2017

So I reinstalled Takete and found that, with the documentation and updates now available, this looks very cool and do-able. Which it didn't at the beginning (more to do with my personal cluelessness with the GUI, an thickheaded inability to get the simple stuff done.)

Turns out that the loopmaking apps (iSequence HD, iElectribe, Rebirth, FunkBox, MoDrum, BassLine, etc etc) feed the clip grid nicely.

Now to grasp the video components. I assume LumaFusion will feed the picture side.

• Hey all, if you're loving Takete, but are in need of some fantastic arbitrary footage to put to some music, then look no further than here

I download whatever I want from here and then upload them to my icloud account, as Takete likes to import movies from here. You may need to convert them to a relevant format, eg .MOV or .MP4 as iPad doesn't like MPEG files.

I'll be honest, it's a lot of trial and error using Takete, but I love it. The developer, Jonathan Papert, was very receptive when I e-mailed him for some tips and troubleshooting when I was running it on an iPad 4th gen.

@Littlewoodg I only used Lumafusion to tweak the end product and in terms of beat detection you will need to have your movie clip initiated within the Takete app, otherwise you won't be able to associate the necessary trigger conditions.

Have fun.

• @noodldoodl said:
    Hey all, if you're loving Takete, but are in need of some fantastic arbitrary footage to put to some music, then look no further than here

I download whatever I want from here and then upload them to my icloud account, as Takete likes to import movies from here. You may need to convert them to a relevant format, eg .MOV or .MP4 as iPad doesn't like MPEG files.

I'll be honest, it's a lot of trial and error using Takete, but I love it. The developer, Jonathan Papert, was very receptive when I e-mailed him for some tips and troubleshooting when I was running it on an iPad 4th gen.

@Littlewoodg I only used Lumafusion to tweak the end product and in terms of beat detection you will need to have your movie clip initiated within the Takete app, otherwise you won't be able to associate the necessary trigger conditions.

Have fun.

Thanks @noodldoodl and @philowerx for these pointers...and helping me dip my toe back into AV (which is a big deal personally, given how long it's been and where I used to be career wise)

• @Littlewoodg said:

@noodldoodl said:
    Hey all, if you're loving Takete, but are in need of some fantastic arbitrary footage to put to some music, then look no further than here

Have fun.

Thanks @noodldoodl and @philowerx for these pointers...and helping me dip my toe back into AV (which is a big deal personally, given how long it's been and where I used to be career wise)

Glad we could help. @noodldoodl Love the Internet Archives, excellent resource. Heads up, there is only one review in the App Store for the newest Takete update. Let's show some love! I really want Takete to see further development.

• edited April 2017

@philowerx said:

@Littlewoodg said:

@noodldoodl said:

Have fun.

Glad we could help. @noodldoodl Love the Internet Archives, excellent resource. Heads up, there is only one review in the App Store for the newest Takete update. Let's show some love! I really want Takete to see further development.

Turns out that one review was me...and fairly damning, based on my own user errors actually. So I fixed that.

I realized that to do the basic stuff it is actually simpler than I was making it, I saw what the dev was doing and things got way easier.

• @Littlewoodg Weird my recent App Store review disappeared and yours is still from a year ago. App Store Glitch lol!

• @philowerx Good call. Will deffo review Takete this weekend when I'm not at work.

• @philowerx said:
    @Littlewoodg Weird my recent App Store review disappeared and yours is still from a year ago. App Store Glitch lol!

Now my new edit disappeared, your new one is there, and I wrote a new one.

Did you see the picture of an iPhone version on the devs twitter?

• Really digging the lite version but several crashes make it pretty impossible to pull the trigger with a 60$ price tag attached ....

• @Littlewoodg said:

@philowerx said:
    @Littlewoodg Weird my recent App Store review disappeared and yours is still from a year ago. App Store Glitch lol!

Now my new edit disappeared, your new one is there, and I wrote a new one.

Did you see the picture of an iPhone version on the devs twitter?

I saw my new review is up and yours disappeared. App Store weirdness. I did see the iPhone tease. Seems like it might translate fairly easily to a phablet.

• @Bkrafty said:
    Really digging the lite version but several crashes make it pretty impossible to pull the trigger with a 60$ price tag attached ....

I had one when I was tweaking a sample in the touch instrument on the fly. What hardware?

• @philowerx said:
    *Note if you create a new session, all faders default to zero. When created new sessions are automatically saved as New Session - Current Date, Current Time.

@noodldoodl said:

Have fun.

@Littlewoodg said:

@Bkrafty said:
    Really digging the lite version but several crashes make it pretty impossible to pull the trigger with a 60$ price tag attached ....

I had one when I was tweaking a sample in the touch instrument on the fly. What hardware?

Thanks for all the feedback so far.

• I have an Air 2 running 10.3.1 nothing else was running...doesn't crash super frequently but it's enough to make it unusable for a live performance, and for 60$ that's not good enough for my wallet. I has been nice to see my old VJing clips of the original X-men cartoon, GI Joe, and intro to Ninja Giaden back in action again after all these years

• Starting to think it's the current iOS causing the issue...apps that never crashed seem to randomly crash now and for the first time I am getting clipping and distortion in apps like Blocs wave where I never had an issue before.....sigh....dear any Android, catch up please, once again this new apple tastes funny

• edited April 2017

@Bkrafty I'm getting a funny taste too, random previously stable apps, having random crashes. I have Air2 also and seems like planned obsolescence may be creeping in..)

Question, the for the experts (looking at you, @philowerx @noodldoodl)

What do these bars/buttons do?
    Ones in the matrix controller and the other is from the main instrument/controller/fx loading screen:

A lot of my earlier pissiness about this app was due to my dullwitted thickness when accessing what is a deceptively simple GUI, but a few details still have me stumped

• edited April 2017

Ones in the matrix controller and the other is from the main instrument/controller/fx loading screen:

A lot of my earlier pissiness about this app was due to my dullwitted thickness when accessing what is a deceptively simple GUI, but a few details still have me stumped

Not sure about these. Have you tried contacting Jonathan?

• @philowerx said:

Not sure about these. Have you tried contacting Jonathan?

That's the next step (after I go back though the YouTube stuff to make sure he didn't already show me there)

• The second I seem to remember is how you select different bars if you have set the length to more than one bar of the synth part (this works on the drum/sampler also). The first I always thought was just a way to highlight the digit on the bpm so you can use the +- to alter it. Not sure on either though as I havent got the app with me. Ill check later

• edited April 2017

@Littlewoodg I'm gonna be honest and say I genuinely do not know what a lot of Takete can do, specifically the buttons and bars you're referring to, as most of the results I've achieved have been very happy accidents (albeit with a bit of skills accumulated along the way).

If you've not done so already I recommend the walkthrough videos on Jonathan's YouTube account:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5BoPkCBaeZvUyyXvwvs7Cw

Sorry I can't give you any worthwhile advice beyond this. It's what has prevented me from giving a review of the app up to now, as I normally like to go beyond the "it's great, buy it" type of brief assessment. I might just do this anyway if it increases the chance of more people being encouraged to invest in Jonathan and his app.

I know he'll be happy to give advice directly, if you ask him.

[email protected]

(I feel comfortable posting this e-mail here as it's on the Takete/Refined Stochastic web site, in the 'about' section)

PS...just reread this thread and realise you're aware of his videos, which I thought you would, anyway. Working from iPad makes you skip bits ;o)

Take care.

• @noodldoodl said:
    @Littlewoodg I'm gonna be honest and say I genuinely do not know what a lot of Takete can do, specifically the buttons and bars you're referring to, as most of the results I've achieved have been very happy accidents (albeit with a bit of skills accumulated along the way).

If you've not done so already I recommend the walkthrough videos on Jonathan's YouTube account:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5BoPkCBaeZvUyyXvwvs7Cw

Sorry I can't give you any worthwhile advice beyond this. It's what has prevented me from giving a review of the app up to now, as I normally like to go beyond the "it's great, buy it" type of brief assessment. I might just do this anyway if it increases the chance of more people being encouraged to invest in Jonathan and his app.

I know he'll be happy to give advice directly, if you ask him.

[email protected]

(I feel comfortable posting this e-mail here as it's on the Takete/Refined Stochastic web site, in the 'about' section)

PS...just reread this thread and realise you're aware of his videos, which I thought you would, anyway. Working from iPad makes you skip bits ;o)

Take care.

Thanks @noodldoodl
    I found an explanation for these three little bars in the written documentation on the RST website:

They determine the size of the slices when using touch loop controller on the file player.