Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Remember this synth? Whatever became of LayR?

13»

Comments

• Two things that have kept me on the fence (other than cost) is that I'm not certain that I have the sound design "chops" to use this app to great effect, and I don't want to be solely dependent on presets. And secondly, I'd like to better understand how it's arp works.

Had there been a launch sale, I likely would've grabbed it then. But since there wasn't one, I figured I'd at least wait for the first update and some demo videos. Sounds like both are coming very soon. :)

• edited April 2017

@wim said:

@Cib said:
    Mmmmmhhh, while for sure a lot things are dramatized often (of course i have done that too) and freedom is great,
    i think critic, even when negative, should be there too.
    Those "everything is amazing and awesome" is not always helpful too (dramatized of course here). It´s the other bad side of forums.
    Everyone has an opinion. I like to hear about good and bad things about an app i can´t demo.
    If that´s not O.K. here it would be a shame.
    Of course it should not end in flame wars and people offending other people.
    The internet is a strange place :#

It can be done with civility and without personal attacks tho.

Oh the next hypocrite. You know, some people might feel attacked by being labeled a "troll" for expressing their genuine opinion. You remember, the thing you did earlier. But you don't have to adhere to these rules, as you are the righteous, right?

• edited April 2017

Not really a lot and none of them goes really deep enough (at least for my taste).
    A Dan Worral tutorial is needed :p
    One of my biggest gripe about iOS. Developers should not wonder about sales if they don´t invest in more and better demos, videos and tutorials. It´s a MUST if you have no demo.
    While i really like and appreciate the videos from thesoundtestroom and haqattaq (is that written right?), they are mostly not real reviews and mostly it´s everything awesome and amazing. I really don´t mean that bad but i donßt know what to think about these videos sometimes.

• I promised myself I wouldn't buy this one until I had invested a reasonable amount of time into iWAVESTATION. They are similar in some ways.

... Except that Korg isn't likely to evolve iWAVESTATION, whereas LayR looks like it's going places. Humm...

• @wim said:
    I promised myself I wouldn't buy this one until I had invested a reasonable amount of time into iWAVESTATION. They are similar in some ways.

... Except that Korg isn't likely to evolve iWAVESTATION, whereas LayR looks like it's going places. Humm...

??? How are they similar? They are totally different synths? I have and like iWavestation so it is a serious question.

• @Cib said:

Not really a lot and none of them goes really deep enough (at least for my taste).
    One of my biggest gripe about iOS. Developers should not wonder about sales if they don´t invest in more and better demos, videos and tutorials. It´s a MUST if you have no demo.
    While i really like and appreciate the videos from thesoundtestroom and haqattaq (is that written right?), they are mostly not real reviews and mostly it´s everything awesome and amazing. I really don´t mean that bad but i donßt know what to think about these videos sometimes.

Did you click through to the next page on my link? There are like 9 videos about LayR.

• @Trueyorky said:

@Cib said:

Did you click through to the next page on my link? There are like 9 videos about LayR.

Yes. But it´s like i said. I need a lot more info for such an app.

• @Cib said:

@wim said:
    I promised myself I wouldn't buy this one until I had invested a reasonable amount of time into iWAVESTATION. They are similar in some ways.

??? How are they similar? They are totally different synths? I have and like iWavestation so it is a serious question.

They both have the option to layer stuff, so in @wim `s simple mind they must be

• Peace Out on this thread for me

• @Cib said:

@wim said:

Similar in that you can layer up a bunch of different patches and have them evolve over time. At least that was my conclusion after briefly looking at the app description and skimming this thread: https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/18123/which-one-should-i-buy-layer-iwavestation-or-arp-odyssei.

That two-minute conclusion could be completely off base. Don't take it too seriously. B)

• @skiphunt said:
    Two things that have kept me on the fence (other than cost) is that I'm not certain that I have the sound design "chops" to use this app to great effect, and I don't want to be solely dependent on presets. And secondly, I'd like to better understand how it's arp works.

Had there been a launch sale, I likely would've grabbed it then. But since there wasn't one, I figured I'd at least wait for the first update and some demo videos. Sounds like both are coming very soon. :)

Yep, as a fellow fence-sitter I'm interested in the next iteration too.

Sounds like it's far from abandoned.

I think this thread brings some people's ever-accelerating 'fast forward, want it now, got it, OK, what's next?' mindset into focus. Paaaaaaaatience, appreciate what you have now and don't forget to breath. :)

• @Cib said:

@Cib said:

@Cib said:

• @Cib said:

+1

• "Obviously we would not release an instrument that does not respond correctly to MIDI "

Dev. is a freak for getting things right(good freak)

Here is quote from email response. So, this confirms Red Sky and Hellqu posts.

• @TheVimFuego said:

@skiphunt said:
    Two things that have kept me on the fence (other than cost) is that I'm not certain that I have the sound design "chops" to use this app to great effect, and I don't want to be solely dependent on presets. And secondly, I'd like to better understand how it's arp works.

It's even further than that. Was catching up with the developer today via email and it's only just begun.

@hellquist said:
    PS. Great work btw @brice and @RedSkyLullaby, your presets have taught me lots of things and given me plenty of ideas.

Thanks @hellquist Very glad to hear that. Would enjoy hearing some of your presets or productions anytime. LayR is one of those sythns that can be "owned" by the user. Meaning, what it sounds like can be wildly different between those creating with it. Which is always a good thing IMO.

• @brice said:

@TheVimFuego said:

@skiphunt said:

It's even further than that. Was catching up with the developer today via email and it's only just begun.

@hellquist said:
    PS. Great work btw @brice and @RedSkyLullaby, your presets have taught me lots of things and given me plenty of ideas.

Thanks @hellquist Very glad to hear that. Would enjoy hearing some of your presets or productions anytime. LayR is one of those sythns that can be "owned" by the user. Meaning, what it sounds like can be wildly different between those creating with it. Which is always a good thing IMO.

Good to hear, I think my purchase is pretty much inevitable, I can see me investing some time to dig into this.

I'm a fan of evolving soundscapes and this seems to fit the bill.

Will see what the next update brings though, much to play with in the meantime.

• @Cib said:

I'd like to threadjack now and let's talk about him instead. I'd kill for that voice.

• @oat_phipps said:

@Cib said:

I'd like to threadjack now and let's talk about him instead. I'd kill for that voice.

I've heard it's a woman ... short for Danielle. ;)

• Here's a short demo of LayR and Synthmaster being controlled via midi by Refraktions.

• @MusicMan4Christ said:
    Here's a short demo of LayR and Synthmaster being controlled via midi by Refraktions.

Sweet! Been a while since I've fired up Refraktions. May have to give this a shot. Thanks for sharing.

I had Patterning driving a number of percussive sounds in LayR the other day and got some great results. Another fun technique is to send each layer's audio output to a different channel. Then setup a multi-channel AUM session and experiment with a wide variety of audio effects across the different channels. Particularly time-based and modulation effects.