Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Remember this synth? Whatever became of LayR?

Comments

• @hellquist said:
    It hasn't crashed once for me. I love the GUI, and the simplicity of it. I love the sounds it enables me to create. I actually don't even miss presets that much, though I do find them interesting for inspirational starting points and for reverse engineering.

The thing is, as an "instrument" (in LayR terminology) is the combination of many presets (which by themselves can be quite simple in isolation), and which in turn can be a lot more complex when combined into "performances" (LayR terminology again), I'm not sure what people are missing when they say "give me more presets"? Is it more base presets for creating more instruments? Or finished instruments (i.e the combination of presets)? Or finished performances (the combination of instruments)?

To me that'd be like walking in to someone elses set/rehearsal space, using their kit and (physical) instruments and not adjusting the amplifier/stomp boxes: not that interesting, unless I want to play THEIR songs. I'm more interested in the fact I, me myself and I (who also is not a synthesis wizard), easily and quickly can create a performance for a complete song that I have written myself, with sounds created by me. Of course, if that is not your thing, I understand "give me more instruments/performances" etc, but then I would probably argue Synthmaster, Magellan or some other app would be more suitable. But that is IMHO of course, and I respect anyone elses too.

Good post Mister.

• Wowsers people are impatient. The developer seems dedicated to getting the update right and there are substantial improvements not just the presets. @brice presets are amazing and the addition of instruments to combine and tweak in to performances makes it a lot easier to construct your own sounds even if you have limited skills there.

• I have done a video also that I will upload after the update that explains the synth structure a bit and demos my presets

• @RedSkyLullaby said:
    I have done a video also that I will upload after the update that explains the synth structure a bit and demos my presets

Very pleased to hear about the video and really looking forward etc.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    Good post Mister.

Thanks, and thanks @MusicMan4Christ , @brice, @Littlewoodg & @AudioGus

I've been kind of offline sorting life in general and lately easter with kids-on-holiday in particular, apart from regular work and also sorting out all my 15 web sites to new super-secure high-performing hosting etc. Other than that I've been busy actually creating music, actually mainly with LayR, so haven't had time to do the social thing online.

LayR has, for me, been one of the biggest creative revelations in iOS music creation. That is my actual goal with apps: being able to create more music. That is me. I understand I am not everyone, and that everyone doesn't like it. I understand some people are less interested in actually creating music, and more interested in the social aspect of talking about music creation apps here and in other forums/places. Fine.

Can people NOT tell everyone about everything they hate? It is possible. I know, as that is what I do. There are apps out there I don't actually like. I either shut up when people are talking about them, or I contact the devs of those apps with suggestions for improvements, which could make me like the app. I try to do my bit.

I go away for 2 weeks and people turn vile, and being proud of officially hating someones hard work, to such a degree they actively try to destroy the market for it? Is this what we've turned into? Spoilt bullying kids? -"If I'm too stupid to get it, no one else should either, I'll make sure of that"?

As @AudioGus pointed out: LayR was released 40 days ago. Can we wait a bit with a Post Mortem?

Spread good things! Spread happiness! Encourage developers to improve something if you don't like it! The "community" is only as good as its members. If you are reading this you are part of that community. If your first instinct is to reply in anger/hate I can promise you, you are "that guy" that destroys "the good" for many.

PS. Great work btw @brice and @RedSkyLullaby, your presets have taught me lots of things and given me plenty of ideas.

• i know I sure am looking forward to the update. Good to finally get some news on this one, it had been awhile and the news is welcome here.

• @Tritonman said:
    i know I sure am looking forward to the update. Good to finally get some news on this one, it had been awhile and the news is welcome here.

Although I don't think @hellquist is specifically referring to you in the response above I think he has some points re the negativity, you might want to think about changing the thread title as it's very click baity and almost immediately attracted nay sayers. I don't degrudge anyone their opinion. To be honest I did not even post when I first saw this as I thought I would just be bumping the unnecessarily negative thread title to the top where it really does not belong. No offense meant just letting you know how post came across, I know intent vs people's interpretation are 2 different things

• @RedSkyLullaby said:

@Tritonman said:
    i know I sure am looking forward to the update. Good to finally get some news on this one, it had been awhile and the news is welcome here.

Although I don't think @hellquist is specifically referring to you in the response above I think he has some points re the negativity, you might want to think about changing the thread title as it's very click baity and almost immediately attracted nay sayers. I don't degrudge anyone their opinion. To be honest I did not even post when I first saw this as I thought I would just be bumping the unnecessarily negative thread title to the top where it really does not belong. No offense meant just letting you know how post came across, I know intent vs people's interpretation are 2 different things

Exactly so. Didn't mean @Tritonman directly/specifically, but I too find the title a tad click-baity.
    My "why negativity" continuation of the comment above is a general observation, and I have seen it in other threads too of late as I'm trying to catch-up on what I've missed.

I was actually more afraid @JohnnyGoodyear would interpret it was meant for him, as it started out as a reply to his comment, but alas, it was just me ranting away, in general, after thanking him, and definitely not against @JohnnyGoodyear in particular, who always spreads good posts, and basically acts like a role model for how I'm asking people to act.

I just think there is too much hate and negativity in the world right now. I don't need it in here too. No, I'm not a "snow flake". No, I'm not a dev myself. No, I'm not afraid of hearing "the truth". "The truth" seems to have taken a new meaning over the last year though.

I just think if we at least try to help each other out, it would be a lot nicer, for everyone. If we all act as a-holes, this will be a place I don't want to interact with, as I need to be able to stay creative and negative energy soul suckers has no place where I need to be. And no, this is not me saying "if it can't be my way I'm leaving", I'm not up for "drama" like that, I'll try to change things for as long as I can, and if I see no results/improvements I probably quietly ease away more and more.

Even if people say negative things, or have a wish to point out faults and errors, they always have an option on how to deliver that message. Negative feedback can be given in a nice tone. If your point of view is a highly obviously subjective view (like "the GUI is ugly" when others obviously love it), you have a couple of options: don't use it, ask the dev to change it, or interact with the app via another GUI/controller. By ensuring devs can't make a living off creating apps you have helped exactly no one.

• edited April 2017

This synth is young (Paul) : 9 mars 2017, don't dream it's over ! ! New good presets banks are welcome by the way ;)

• Wow, just wow and holy wow! Let it go or don't. At this point my questions are answered and I am satisfied. What you choose is up to you and I hope you enjoy the update also.

• The thread title should be changed to something more appropriate. It suggests the dev hasn't been working on his app for ages while it clearly is being worked on right now and going to make an awesome and very young synth even better. How about: "Any news on the LayR update?"

• I agree and it's not fair for a single hard working developer. Let's uplift let's encourage in the end we all benefit as musicians and humans.

• @hexagonsun83 said:

@Hosh said:
    Jeez, give the guy a chance. It was only released, what, a couple of months ago or so?! It's probably one guy working on it. People need to relax a bit and give indie developers more chance to... develop.

The App is 20 bucks. It's not a charity. If i was in a giving mood, i'd donate to his patreon. For 20 bucks i expect a synth, that doesn't crash on 50% of the presets. Or an actual good interface. You know, simple things.

There was a snafu with the wrong build being released in the app store at launch, there was an update a couple days later to fix that. Mentioning just in case you had been using that old buggy beta version.

• I've been on the fence, but I think I'll buy it tomorrow (payday) just to show some support! :wink:

• edited April 2017

@hellquist said:

@RedSkyLullaby said:

@Tritonman said:

Exactly so. Didn't mean @Tritonman directly/specifically, but I too find the title a tad click-baity.
    My "why negativity" continuation of the comment above is a general observation, and I have seen it in other threads too of late as I'm trying to catch-up on what I've missed.

I was actually more afraid @JohnnyGoodyear would interpret it was meant for him, as it started out as a reply to his comment, but alas, it was just me ranting away, in general, after thanking him, and definitely not against @JohnnyGoodyear in particular, who always spreads good posts, and basically acts like a role model for how I'm asking people to act.

I just think there is too much hate and negativity in the world right now. I don't need it in here too. No, I'm not a "snow flake". No, I'm not a dev myself. No, I'm not afraid of hearing "the truth". "The truth" seems to have taken a new meaning over the last year though.

I just think if we at least try to help each other out, it would be a lot nicer, for everyone. If we all act as a-holes, this will be a place I don't want to interact with, as I need to be able to stay creative and negative energy soul suckers has no place where I need to be. And no, this is not me saying "if it can't be my way I'm leaving", I'm not up for "drama" like that, I'll try to change things for as long as I can, and if I see no results/improvements I probably quietly ease away more and more.

Even if people say negative things, or have a wish to point out faults and errors, they always have an option on how to deliver that message. Negative feedback can be given in a nice tone. If your point of view is a highly obviously subjective view (like "the GUI is ugly" when others obviously love it), you have a couple of options: don't use it, ask the dev to change it, or interact with the app via another GUI/controller. By ensuring devs can't make a living off creating apps you have helped exactly no one.

Yes i helped. I helped the competition, that actually develops good products. The one thing communists, snowflakes (and yes, you are one) are most afraid of, is the spirit of competition. If it was up to you, the App Store only had 5 star ratings. Do you know who got rid of the 5-star rating system lately, and why?

The only thing people like you despise more than free market competition is free speech. How generous of you to give me the option to use an external controller, or issue my feedback in a polite and nice manner to the developer himself.

I've got more free speech for you: ++++ you.

And shame on you for getting political about something mundane like an app.

• wimwim
    edited April 2017

Don't feed the troll, people. ^

• @wim said:

:# oh so difficult at this moment.

• @wim said:

+1

• The most pathetic thing about @hellquist , like all snowflakes, he is a full blown hypocrite.

@hellquist said:
    Still can't scroll my midi controllers though. Srsly? Not often I say this, but: how hard can it be?

Disclaimer: comment is based on (admittedly non-app) development since early 90's. Setting a window to scroll if the viewport has more options than can fit into it really shouldn't be rocket science. Bah.

• As he slugs wildly around him frantically, crying and throwing his toys out the pram, I should add that comment is about Thor, not LayR, and yes, I have given that feedback to the Propellerhead devs and my 5-star rating of that awesome app still stands, as it is a minor issue compared to the many great things Thor provides.

• edited April 2017

Each flake nucleates around a dust particle in supersaturated air masses by attracting supercooled cloud water droplets, which freeze and accrete in crystal form. Complex shapes emerge as the flake moves through differing temperature and humidity zones in the atmosphere, such that individual snowflakes differ in detail from one another, but may be categorized in eight broad classifications and at least 80 individual variants. The main constituent shapes for ice crystals, from which combinations may occur, are needle, column, plate and rime. Snowflakes appear white in color despite being made of clear ice. This is due to diffuse reflection of the whole spectrum of light by the small crystal facets.[2]

Snowflakes are cool, or frozen rather ;)

I like snowflakes...

and... turtles. :)

• edited April 2017

@hellquist said:
    As he slugs wildly around him frantically, crying and throwing his toys out the pram, I should add that comment is about Thor, not LayR, and yes, I have given that feedback to the Propellerhead devs and my 5-star rating of that awesome app still stands, as it is a minor issue compared to the many great things Thor provides.

Breh, you could have issued that feedback in a way without the microaggressions. You must acknowledge your privilege and repent. I feel, just giving a 5-star rating is not enough for the emotional turmoil you might have cost someone. This has to stay a safe space for App Developers, and for people who self-identify as App Developers. Remember, this world would be so much better, if we would just all hold hands, and be nice, right?

• Still on my list this one, looks like a great thing.

• @MonzoPro said:
    Still on my list this one, looks like a great thing.

I think it is safe to predict that the update will send you over the edge and myself into orgasmic bliss!

• Mmmmmhhh, while for sure a lot things are dramatized often (of course i have done that too) and freedom is great,
    i think critic, even when negative, should be there too.
    Those "everything is amazing and awesome" is not always helpful too (dramatized of course here). It´s the other bad side of forums.
    Everyone has an opinion. I like to hear about good and bad things about an app i can´t demo.
    If that´s not O.K. here it would be a shame.
    Of course it should not end in flame wars and people offending other people.
    The internet is a strange place :#

• @MonzoPro said:
    Still on my list this one, looks like a great thing.

It is. Takes some understanding to really get out of it what the developer has intended/provided (not there yet myself), but it's am ambitious piece of software.

• wimwim
    edited April 2017

@Cib said:
    Mmmmmhhh, while for sure a lot things are dramatized often (of course i have done that too) and freedom is great,
    Those "everything is amazing and awesome" is not always helpful too (dramatized of course here). It´s the other bad side of forums.
    Everyone has an opinion. I like to hear about good and bad things about an app i can´t demo.

It can be done with civility and without personal attacks tho.

• @Cib said:
    Mmmmmhhh, while for sure a lot things are dramatized often (of course i have done that too) and freedom is great,

99% agree, the internet is a GREAT place, on of the last refuges of freedom of expression. This case is particulary hilarious, because @hellquist went on the mother of all virtue-signalling rants, but one day earlier was insinuating Propellerhead would be idiots, because they can't get a window to scroll.