Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Navichord v2.5.2 with Audiobus 3 MIDI

2»

Comments

• @Carnbot said:
    You can rename ports in the iconfig App for the iConnect. But then to see them on iOS you have to reset your ipad and connect again otherwise it won't update the names.

Cool.
    Midi IO is not required for LED Scale guide.
    LED Scale guide will use both input and output MIDI ports for sending and restoring notes. You've already done 50% of the job by renaming the destination port for K-Board (scales lights up). Please try locating the source port for the K-Board, and then rename it the same way.

• @Navichord said:

@Carnbot said:
    You can rename ports in the iconfig App for the iConnect. But then to see them on iOS you have to reset your ipad and connect again otherwise it won't update the names.

Cool.
    LED Scale guide will use both input and output MIDI ports for sending and restoring notes. You've already done 50% of the job by renaming the destination port for K-Board (scales lights up). Please try locating the source port for the K-Board, and then rename it the same way.

Ok thanks will try that :)

• [Rating nagging post] If you do like the update don't hesitate to update your ratings on the AppStore, it is always important for us indie devs :)

• @AutoTonic said:
    AutoTonic here. Please do not attempt to copy/steal my work, you should respect other's ideas … especially when they're patented as well (AutoTonic is also patented for touch devices!).

Is there an IOS version?

• @AutoTonic said:

@Navichord said:

@aaronpc said:
    @Navichord Only last week I was asking @JohannesD to do this very thing as a premium MF app, but since you're already there, and always adding great updates, maybe you can go that last step further by making scales mappable to the (now unused) black keys? See Autotonic. Much better than having to open a dialog.

I've been trying to come up ways this app could fit and work well on phones, and it's no easy task to fit all this functionality onto the smaller screens, but this new feature alone would make it a must have for me.

Thanks for the link, interesting reading. The black keys are not exactly unused, they host some out of scale notes. I agree I could make a better use of them :) Maybe map chord pads?

Update.
    Now when I read your comment again it starts clicking with me. It could be a really powerful feature. I will surely look into that. Thx!

AutoTonic here. Please do not attempt to copy/steal my work, you should respect other's ideas … especially when they're patented as well (AutoTonic is also patented for touch devices!).

I'm pretty sure Navichord existed before autotonic. Plus you don't have an ios version. what exactly are you accusing him of copying ? if its the scale locking ability mapped to white keys thumbjam has had it for years.

• I'm generally curious as to how anyone could copyright that idea.

Ideas can't be copyrighted. The implementation of an idea can be copyrighted however. How it looks in the interface design, the actual software code used etc. But I don't see why anyone else couldn't make a piece of software which achieved a similar idea just using a different approach and code.

• @Carnbot said:
    I'm generally curious as to how anyone could copyright that idea.

Ideas can't be copyrighted. The implementation of an idea can be copyrighted however. How it looks in the interface design, the actual software code used etc. But I don't see why anyone else couldn't make a piece of software which achieved a similar idea just using a different approach and code.

Other IOS apps can already remap keyboard input to alternate scales (ScaleGen is an example) so I don't see why an implementation in Navichhord would create a problem.

There are also free PC apps that perform the same function, for example: http://www.huygens-fokker.org/scala/

• ChordSpace Playa - exists for a very long time http://www.chordspace.com/index.htm (must be older than the iPhone :smile: )

• @jigglypuff said:

@Carnbot said:
    I'm generally curious as to how anyone could copyright that idea.

Other IOS apps can already remap keyboard input to alternate scales (ScaleGen is an example) so I don't see why an implementation in Navichhord would create a problem.

There are also free PC apps that perform the same function, for example: http://www.huygens-fokker.org/scala/

Exactly :) Yes it's nonsense. He can't copyright the idea but looking at the manual I think whatever the patent is refers to a certain system of automatic remapping in realtime of scales so as long it's not exactly the same as his system there's nothing to worry about.

• @5pinlink said:

@AutoTonic said:

@Navichord said:

@aaronpc said:
    @Navichord Only last week I was asking @JohannesD to do this very thing as a premium MF app, but since you're already there, and always adding great updates, maybe you can go that last step further by making scales mappable to the (now unused) black keys? See Autotonic. Much better than having to open a dialog.

I've been trying to come up ways this app could fit and work well on phones, and it's no easy task to fit all this functionality onto the smaller screens, but this new feature alone would make it a must have for me.

Thanks for the link, interesting reading. The black keys are not exactly unused, they host some out of scale notes. I agree I could make a better use of them :) Maybe map chord pads?

Update.
    Now when I read your comment again it starts clicking with me. It could be a really powerful feature. I will surely look into that. Thx!

I suggest you reword that absolutely ridiculous comment, accusing people of stealing patents when all that was suggested was mapping scales to black keys (Something you simply did not invent and i doubt very much can patent) is offensive to all of us, if you dont want people mentioning the name of your product in comparative comments, i suggest you remove your product entirely, you really think that trying to stop comparisons holds any of that respect you seem to think only applies to you ?

Having had many conversations with Dennis, i can tell you that he is proud and one of the most respectful developers i have chatted to, and would not even second think "Stealing ideas" your comment was below the belt and toally uncalled for !!!

To be fair, I did bring up their product specifically in my original request. If they do have the appropriate patents (which I assume only applies to the part about the black keys), then they've actually just saved the dev a fair bit of time building a feature that would then have to be removed.

The fact that you can attach a keyboard to your iPad, then attach your iPad to your computer and play a VST in a DAW (thus sidestepping their software) does appear to make this a slippery slope. Unfortunately, that doesn't help those of us who just want to use the feature on a plane. Maybe Dennis can find a solution that doesn't step on anyone's toes.

Could have done without the stealing reference, though. That's no way to say hello. Reminds me of how I first met one of my neighbors. I was putting the trash out, and he walks up and says " You know you're supposed to mow this part of the yard, too," pointing to a strip of turf where one of his tenants always parked. I look at him for a moment and say "...and my name's Aaron."

• @5pinlink said:

@AutoTonic said:

@Navichord said:

@aaronpc said:

Update.

I suggest you reword that absolutely ridiculous comment, accusing people of stealing patents when all that was suggested was mapping scales to black keys (Something you simply did not invent and i doubt very much can patent) is offensive to all of us, if you dont want people mentioning the name of your product in comparative comments, i suggest you remove your product entirely, you really think that trying to stop comparisons holds any of that respect you seem to think only applies to you ?

Having had many conversations with Dennis, i can tell you that he is proud and one of the most respectful developers i have chatted to, and would not even second think "Stealing ideas" your comment was below the belt and toally uncalled for !!!

Agreed. All the tone of a deaf mule (and far less class).

• Well autotonic just jumped to the top of my do not buy list

Meanwhile, Navichord remains a great app with a cool and responsive developer

• @jn2002dk said:
    Well autotonic just jumped to the top of my do not buy list

Meanwhile, Navichord remains a great app with a cool and responsive developer

It's gone from my 'Never heard of it' to my 'Permanently ignore' list.

Prime example of using social media to the detriment of your product.

• @Carnbot said:

@Navichord said:

@Carnbot said:

Cool.

@Carnbot does it work for you this way?

• @Navichord said:

@Carnbot said:

@Navichord said:

@Carnbot said:

Cool.

@Carnbot does it work for you this way?

Not yet. I've enabled the 3 Qunexus ports and got them to show in iOS. in Navichord it allows me to connect to the first two ports but leaves the third port unselectable. But the lights still go out after I press the keys. Not sure if I've done this right though yet.

• Great update. Works so well with AB3

• @Carnbot the 3rd port has a typo (double N). I would recommend to leave just one for safety.

• @Navichord said:
    @Carnbot the 3rd port has a typo (double N). I would recommend to leave just one for safety.

oh yes good spot, i'll try that :)

• @Dchild said:
    Great update. Works so well with AB3

Thanks, AB MIDI was a bit confusing for me in the beginning, since it requires normal MIDI to be disabled, but now I like it a lot :)

• edited April 2017

@Navichord said:
    @Carnbot the 3rd port has a typo (double N). I would recommend to leave just one for safety.

Well I got it to work using the QuNexus local LED setting turned off but not any other way. so I saved a preset on D to use for the led scale mode. It works well in that mode but it doesn't light up a key which you press out of the scale which is the disadvantage of this mode. But very useful anyway :)

It's weird though I tried it just using a camera connector originally and it worked great. Now if I try with a camera connector in the default Qunexus mode. The lights go out when I press the keys, i'm sure this didn't happen the first time I tried. Not sure why this would happen now....Do you think something is up with my QuNexus?

In the manual it says that usb port 1 is used for the lights so you shouldn't have to use any other port I think.

I think I'll probably just use it in the lock scale to white keys feature so thanks for adding that mode :)

• @Carnbot , please drop a line to navichord at gmail.com, I have ideas on how to fix the issue, but it goes beyond the original topic.

• @aaronpc said:
    Nice! Just when I thought it couldn't get any better. Time to break out the Qunexus again.

Might be a reason to keep mine, was on the verge of selling it!

• @musikmachine said:

@aaronpc said:
    Nice! Just when I thought it couldn't get any better. Time to break out the Qunexus again.

Yeah. I never got used to the (lack of) action on its keys, but this feature makes it worth it. Very handy in Fiddlewax Pro, too. RIP

• @Navichord said:
    @Carnbot , please drop a line to navichord at gmail.com, I have ideas on how to fix the issue, but it goes beyond the original topic.

thanks will do :)

• RJBRJB
    edited April 2017

Tried setting up @Navichord with the Midiflow app in audiobus3. It's working when I drive GeoShred but I only get the pads or the keyboard running, not both at the same time. Not sure what I'm doing wrong or is this something to do with Geoshred?

• @RJB said:
    Tried setting up @Navichord with the Midiflow app in audiobus3. It's working when I drive GeoShred but I only get the pads or the keyboard running, not both at the same time. Not sure what I'm doing wrong or is this something to do with Geoshred?

Please share a screenshot, on my setup I don't see GeoShred in the list if AB3 MIDI Receivers.

• @musikmachine said:

@aaronpc said:

Frankly speaking, I'm also not a big fan of these keyboards from the playability point of view. Too much velocity variation and random-like pressure. However the lights and the formfactor make it useful enough to keep.

• By the way, Navichord has been listed as a project on the Keith McMillen Instruments website - https://www.keithmcmillen.com/projects/navichord-led-scale-guide-k-board-qunexus-integration/