Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

AUM update Submitted

Comments

• @kgmessier said:

@greengrocer said:

@mannix said:
    Curious what's the best choice AB3 or AUM 1.2 don't have money to buy them both? That said, at the moment AUM is twice the price of AB3. Hope this AUM update comes with a special introduction price.

I second that last point. If there will be a special update discount price to celebrate the update I for certain will buy AUM. The current price of $18.99 for AUM is too high for me to step in.

Where did that chart come from?

• @OscarSouth said:

Appshopper

• @gsm909 said:

@OscarSouth said:

Appshopper

Cheers

• edited April 2017

@kgmessier said:

@greengrocer said:

@mannix said:
    Curious what's the best choice AB3 or AUM 1.2 don't have money to buy them both? That said, at the moment AUM is twice the price of AB3. Hope this AUM update comes with a special introduction price.

I second that last point. If there will be a special update discount price to celebrate the update I for certain will buy AUM. The current price of $18.99 for AUM is too high for me to step in.

Good to see the pricelevel is quite steady :)

• @greengrocer said:

@kgmessier said:

@greengrocer said:

@mannix said:

Good to see the pricelevel is quite steady :)

Exactly, that's why I just bought it when I decided I wanted it. No need to wait for a sale as the few $ saved is NOT worth waiting for. And the app is worth every penny, very well designed app, just like AudioShare.

• Considering AUM, like AB3, is a key power-user app for iOS musicians, I think a steady price indicates a healthier platform for that niche market. If these normally 10-20 dollar apps are requiring too many incentives to get buyers to invest in what amounts to a central hub of their entire system, then the market of power users must be weak.

• Definitely worth every penny. It's one of those apps you wondered how you managed without it :)

• edited April 2017

@Carnbot said:
    Definitely worth every penny. It's one of those apps you wondered how you managed without it :)

Exactly. I can't imagine what precisely this update will bring. Maybe a one-button reloading of all your stems back into AUM?

Any indication when this update arrives?

• @ExAsperis99 said:

@Carnbot said:
    Definitely worth every penny. It's one of those apps you wondered how you managed without it :)

Exactly. I can't imagine what precisely this update will bring. Maybe a one-button reloading of all your stems back into AUM?

Not that feature but lots of useful things. The best one for me is IAA midi reception so you can send midi from Audiobus 3 through to AUM. So you could host all your Audio units in AUM but send the midi from AB3 with filters etc

• this has got to be the most visually appealing app. love the minimal design, colors, etc

• @Carnbot said:

@oat_phipps said:

@8BitSamurai said:

@Carnbot said:
    Great news :)
    AUM + Audiobus 3 is for me the best combination.

How so? I have both but haven't really figured out a workflow. They seem to do very similar things, tho AUM has a better mixer. How do you use them together?

I honestly can't see a need for Audiobus 3 with AUM being around, and more robust. Have opened AB3 once since release day, to check a connection glitch. Glad to support them, but there is and has been for a while a better solution in AUM.

Disclaimer: I'm not too fancy or fussy when it comes to my setups, so using them both doesn't solve any problems for me.

They overlap in their abilities of course but combined they both bring their thing to the party. AUM is the powerful mixer hub with multi outs and recording to audioshare and AB3 with the saveable quick midi routing, midi fx and IAA statesaving.

And with the new AUM update we'll be able to send midi directly from audiobus 3 through to AUM. There are lots of ways this can be used and when the update comes I'll try and post an example or two. Since AUM came out I've been mainly using that but the new audiobus has changed things a lot for me because saving of midi sequencers and midi fx is not possible in AUM and won't be for a long time until midi AUv3 fx is supported by iOS .

So for example you can now, when the update is out, save a setup with midiLFOs sending modulation through to AUM and state save in AB. When modstep update lands we'll be able to have modstep tracks in audiobus being filtered by midiflow filters and sending the midi to AUv3 hosted in AUM. You could host all the IAA in ab and send the audio through to AUM to use the mix bus capibilties. Combining both creates a lot more options and the options will grow as more apps get AB3 midi support.

Ok, that makes sense, I think. How do you like ModStep, btw? It intrigues me, mainly because it seems a little like ableton, but you can't record inter-app audio, right?

• @8BitSamurai said:

@Carnbot said:

@oat_phipps said:

@8BitSamurai said:

@Carnbot said:
    Great news :)
    AUM + Audiobus 3 is for me the best combination.

How so? I have both but haven't really figured out a workflow. They seem to do very similar things, tho AUM has a better mixer. How do you use them together?

I honestly can't see a need for Audiobus 3 with AUM being around, and more robust. Have opened AB3 once since release day, to check a connection glitch. Glad to support them, but there is and has been for a while a better solution in AUM.

Disclaimer: I'm not too fancy or fussy when it comes to my setups, so using them both doesn't solve any problems for me.

They overlap in their abilities of course but combined they both bring their thing to the party. AUM is the powerful mixer hub with multi outs and recording to audioshare and AB3 with the saveable quick midi routing, midi fx and IAA statesaving.

And with the new AUM update we'll be able to send midi directly from audiobus 3 through to AUM. There are lots of ways this can be used and when the update comes I'll try and post an example or two. Since AUM came out I've been mainly using that but the new audiobus has changed things a lot for me because saving of midi sequencers and midi fx is not possible in AUM and won't be for a long time until midi AUv3 fx is supported by iOS .

So for example you can now, when the update is out, save a setup with midiLFOs sending modulation through to AUM and state save in AB. When modstep update lands we'll be able to have modstep tracks in audiobus being filtered by midiflow filters and sending the midi to AUv3 hosted in AUM. You could host all the IAA in ab and send the audio through to AUM to use the mix bus capibilties. Combining both creates a lot more options and the options will grow as more apps get AB3 midi support.

Ok, that makes sense, I think. How do you like ModStep, btw? It intrigues me, mainly because it seems a little like ableton, but you can't record inter-app audio, right?

A lot of us use modstep purely for sequencing midi. And AUM for hosting AUx. Unlike hosting them inside both modstep and ab3 this allows us to send automation to the hosted Aux inside AUM.

• @8BitSamurai said:

Modstep is great and and my preferred one for composition. I host everything in AUM too. but now that AB3 is out I'll be experimenting with hosting IAA apps in AB and Au's in AUM and mixing it all there.

It's possible to record into Modstep but it's not ready for real sequencing of Audio yet although I think that might be on the road map for the future, fingers crossed.

• edited April 2017
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @Carnbot said:

@8BitSamurai said:

Modstep is great and and my preferred one for composition. I host everything in AUM too. but now that AB3 is out I'll be experimenting with hosting IAA apps in AB and Au's in AUM and mixing it all there.

It's possible to record into Modstep but it's not ready for real sequencing of Audio yet although I think that might be on the road map for the future, fingers crossed.

So do you use modstep as an output in AUM? A screenshot would be amazing.

• @8BitSamurai said:

@Carnbot said:

@8BitSamurai said:

So do you use modstep as an output in AUM? A screenshot would be amazing.

No, I use Modstep as a midi sequencer only. Sending midi to AUM where I host all the audio units and other IAA apps. Send midi to AUM midi ports in modstep or send directly to the apps midi ports. It's a bit more time setting up but gives you more flexibility. I'll post some screenshots when the new AUM update cones out when I'll be trying some setups out. :)

I think an AUM + Audiobus 3 thread would be good.

It's going to get interesting when modstep updates with audiobus 3 compatibility as you will be able to save your midi routing between all the apps and AUM in 1 audiobus preset (hopefully)

• @Carnbot said:

It's going to get interesting when modstep updates with audiobus 3 compatibility as you will be able to save your midi routing between all the apps and AUM in 1 audiobus preset (hopefully)

Do we have an indication that this is on the table?

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@Carnbot said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@Carnbot said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@Carnbot said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@Carnbot said:

It's in beta but I don't know how long it will take before it will be ready.

• @ExAsperis99 said:

@Carnbot said:

You mean like loading a bunch of recordings into a bunch of AUM channels with FilePlayer nodes?

The improved Audiobus 3 integration in AUM 1.2 requires a version of Audiobus that is not released yet, so I will try to synchronize the AUM 1.2 update with the Audiobus team, to make it less confusing for users.

• @j_liljedahl said:

@ExAsperis99 said:

@Carnbot said:

You mean like loading a bunch of recordings into a bunch of AUM channels with FilePlayer nodes?

The improved Audiobus 3 integration in AUM 1.2 requires a version of Audiobus that is not released yet, so I will try to synchronize the AUM 1.2 update with the Audiobus team, to make it less confusing for users.

Ok thanks :)
    I look forward to when it's released. I'm finding the current AUM is quite unstable when used with Audiobus 3 and often disconnects or loses sound.

• So, I've been passively waiting for this to pop up but nothing yet. I'm guessing Apple weren't happy with something or are they just late reviewing @j_liljedahl ?

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • When waiting for quality, i am sure we can wait a few more days......

• So, @Sebastian, when does the Audiobus update drop, so we can have this AUM update?

• edited May 2017

Seems like there must be something pretty hard to fix in AB3. The recent lack of communication from @Sebastian lets me assume they haven't really come close to a solution yet. I hope it'll be soon. Haven't really been able to use AB3 properly since it came out with my iConnectAudio4+. It's been a pretty long wait. Would love to hear some good news!

• I'm still waiting for you beta testers to sort things out

• @kgmessier said:

@greengrocer said:

@mannix said:

The biggest price drop (apart from when it was first released) has been $4 - personally I would not let $4 hold me back from buying a great app and support the continued development.

• @Peter321 said:

@kgmessier said:

@greengrocer said:

@mannix said:

The biggest price drop (apart from when it was first released) has been $4 - personally I would not let $4 hold me back from buying a great app and support the continued development.

+1, essential in my book - couldn't imagine making music without it now.

• edited May 2017

Without aum nothing Works, its one of my Most using Apps. Every Time since is the Release