Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

AUM update Submitted

Comments

• @Carnbot said:
    Great news :)
    AUM + Audiobus 3 is for me the best combination.

How so? I have both but haven't really figured out a workflow. They seem to do very similar things, tho AUM has a better mixer. How do you use them together?

• Is there a way to set a lower standard input gain? Lots of apps come in too hot, like funk drummer. Of course i go in and lower the apps that do come in too hot, but standalone the outputs are ok

• @8BitSamurai said:

@Carnbot said:

How so? I have both but haven't really figured out a workflow. They seem to do very similar things, tho AUM has a better mixer. How do you use them together?

I honestly can't see a need for Audiobus 3 with AUM being around, and more robust. Have opened AB3 once since release day, to check a connection glitch. Glad to support them, but there is and has been for a while a better solution in AUM.

Disclaimer: I'm not too fancy or fussy when it comes to my setups, so using them both doesn't solve any problems for me.

• @oat_phipps said:

@8BitSamurai said:

@Carnbot said:

I honestly can't see a need for Audiobus 3 with AUM being around, and more robust. Have opened AB3 once since release day, to check a connection glitch. Glad to support them, but there is and has been for a while a better solution in AUM.

Disclaimer: I'm not too fancy or fussy when it comes to my setups, so using them both doesn't solve any problems for me.

They overlap in their abilities of course but combined they both bring their thing to the party. AUM is the powerful mixer hub with multi outs and recording to audioshare and AB3 with the saveable quick midi routing, midi fx and IAA statesaving.

And with the new AUM update we'll be able to send midi directly from audiobus 3 through to AUM. There are lots of ways this can be used and when the update comes I'll try and post an example or two. Since AUM came out I've been mainly using that but the new audiobus has changed things a lot for me because saving of midi sequencers and midi fx is not possible in AUM and won't be for a long time until midi AUv3 fx is supported by iOS .

So for example you can now, when the update is out, save a setup with midiLFOs sending modulation through to AUM and state save in AB. When modstep update lands we'll be able to have modstep tracks in audiobus being filtered by midiflow filters and sending the midi to AUv3 hosted in AUM. You could host all the IAA in ab and send the audio through to AUM to use the mix bus capibilties. Combining both creates a lot more options and the options will grow as more apps get AB3 midi support.

• @Carnbot said:

This is all nice when you spell it out like that; I think the problem is just me. I have both tools to work with, but because I got so used to pen and paper/screenshots for settings back in relative iOS infancy, I'm stuck in my ways. Feels weird to say after only being on iOS 3 years or so, but I guess this is what becoming an old stickler is like.

• @oat_phipps said:

@Carnbot said:

This is all nice when you spell it out like that; I think the problem is just me. I have both tools to work with, but because I got so used to pen and paper/screenshots for settings back in relative iOS infancy, I'm stuck in my ways. Feels weird to say after only being on iOS 3 years or so, but I guess this is what becoming an old stickler is like.

It's whatever works for you :)
    It's good to keep things as simple as you can if that makes you more productive. I'm hoping this new combination of Ab3 and AUM will make me more productive because it'll mean less fiddling with core midi settings.

• i am a supporter of Audiobus even before it was a thing you could download, and I always will be. They completely changed everything about iOS music making the way Tiger Woods changed golf (forget if you don't like the sport or not, that guy changed it completely). Since Audiobus came along, countless devs have benefited from the hard work the Audiobus team has put in, and I'm sure they'll continue to. Respect doesn't begin to cover for what I have for these guys. I have found, though, in my neverending search for the most minimalistic setup possible, that Auria is really all I personally need. That's how I feel today, anyway. Ask me again tomorrow, you'll probably get a different answer.

• AB3 just became a lot more useful thanks to the Core MIDI adapter just released by @JohannesD

• Definitely. That's some nice work on his part to help AB3 along

• @vpich said:
    Is there a way to set a lower standard input gain? Lots of apps come in too hot, like funk drummer. Of course i go in and lower the apps that do come in too hot, but standalone the outputs are ok

Tap menu, then Settings, and change Fader Level in the Channel Defaults section :)

• @boone51 said:
    i am a supporter of Audiobus even before it was a thing you could download, and I always will be. They completely changed everything about iOS music making the way Tiger Woods changed golf (forget if you don't like the sport or not, that guy changed it completely). Since Audiobus came along, countless devs have benefited from the hard work the Audiobus team has put in, and I'm sure they'll continue to. Respect doesn't begin to cover for what I have for these guys. I have found, though, in my neverending search for the most minimalistic setup possible, that Auria is really all I personally need. That's how I feel today, anyway. Ask me again tomorrow, you'll probably get a different answer.

Agreed. Audiobus team have done a lot more than just connecting apps together. They're connecting audio developers and have created a community around them.

Just take a look at this forum.

If dating sites were like this...

• Hey @j_liljedahl nice to see an update to AUM.....a question in anticipation of the release..

With the transpose for IAA/AU, how is this controlled ? could I for example set say 4 tracks with AU's on them to all get transposed to a key pressed on a keyboard controller ? or is it more like having a transpose +/- (x) semitones for that track ? How does it work ?

• So now that this is done, is putting the AU in AUFX next? Please :)

• @supadom said:

@boone51 said:
    i am a supporter of Audiobus even before it was a thing you could download, and I always will be. They completely changed everything about iOS music making the way Tiger Woods changed golf (forget if you don't like the sport or not, that guy changed it completely). Since Audiobus came along, countless devs have benefited from the hard work the Audiobus team has put in, and I'm sure they'll continue to. Respect doesn't begin to cover for what I have for these guys. I have found, though, in my neverending search for the most minimalistic setup possible, that Auria is really all I personally need. That's how I feel today, anyway. Ask me again tomorrow, you'll probably get a different answer.

Agreed. Audiobus team have done a lot more than just connecting apps together. They're connecting audio developers and have created a community around them.

Just take a look at this forum.

If dating sites were like this...

• @AndyPlankton said:
    Hey @j_liljedahl nice to see an update to AUM.....a question in anticipation of the release..

With the transpose for IAA/AU, how is this controlled ? could I for example set say 4 tracks with AU's on them to all get transposed to a key pressed on a keyboard controller ? or is it more like having a transpose +/- (x) semitones for that track ? How does it work ?

It's a "+/- N semitones" setting per IAA/AU node. Useful when doing splits/layers and the synths does not have their own transpose setting.

• @srcer said:
    So now that this is done, is putting the AU in AUFX next? Please :)

First there will be an AudioShare update, and continued development on the next generation of Gestrument! But I thought to myself earlier today that I should really turn my AUFXs into AUs soon.

• @j_liljedahl you had tossed around the idea of a channel insert for muting/unmuting sync'd to bar. Any chance that'll make it any time soon?

• @j_liljedahl said:

@srcer said:

First there will be an AudioShare update, and continued development on the next generation of Gestrument! But I thought to myself earlier today that I should really turn my AUFXs into AUs soon.

++++ many

• @j_liljedahl said:

@srcer said:

Looking forward to any update to the brilliant AudioShare and would love AUs of AUFXs :smile:
    What really has my attention is the next generation of Gestrument! Is it possible to support midi in to control gestrument itself. I am thinking along the lines of how a Kinect device can be setup and used to control gestrument. I would think that TC-Data (or TC-Orbiter) would be a lovely local substitutes for the Kinect device or provide another play surface that would compliment gestrument.

• @j_liljedahl said:

@AndyPlankton said:
    Hey @j_liljedahl nice to see an update to AUM.....a question in anticipation of the release..

It's a "+/- N semitones" setting per IAA/AU node. Useful when doing splits/layers and the synths does not have their own transpose setting.

OK thanks

• @lukesleepwalker said:
    @j_liljedahl you had tossed around the idea of a channel insert for muting/unmuting sync'd to bar. Any chance that'll make it any time soon?

It's on my TODO for a future update, along some other built-in node types.

• @Moderndaycompiler said:

@j_liljedahl said:

@srcer said:

Looking forward to any update to the brilliant AudioShare and would love AUs of AUFXs :smile:
    What really has my attention is the next generation of Gestrument! Is it possible to support midi in to control gestrument itself. I am thinking along the lines of how a Kinect device can be setup and used to control gestrument. I would think that TC-Data (or TC-Orbiter) would be a lovely local substitutes for the Kinect device or provide another play surface that would compliment gestrument.

Yes! This is already possible in the current Gestrument. You can control the x/y pointer and all the other controls via MIDI cc. We use it this way with the Kinect a lot in workshops and exhibitions.

• @mannix said:
    Curious what's the best choice AB3 or AUM 1.2 don't have money to buy them both? That said, at the moment AUM is twice the price of AB3. Hope this AUM update comes with a special introduction price.

I second that last point. If there will be a special update discount price to celebrate the update I for certain will buy AUM. The current price of $18.99 for AUM is too high for me to step in.

• @greengrocer said:

@mannix said:
    Curious what's the best choice AB3 or AUM 1.2 don't have money to buy them both? That said, at the moment AUM is twice the price of AB3. Hope this AUM update comes with a special introduction price.

I second that last point. If there will be a special update discount price to celebrate the update I for certain will buy AUM. The current price of $18.99 for AUM is too high for me to step in.

I think the idea of telling a dev that they should take less money for their hard work and continued support because you "can't afford their product" is insulting.

• @anickt said:

@greengrocer said:

@mannix said:

I think the idea of telling a dev that they should take less money for their hard work and continued support because you "can't afford their product" is insulting.

And as someone else pointed out, AB3 on it's own will not do what AUM does...you will need additional purchases such as MiMix and MIDI Flow

• @j_liljedahl said:

@srcer said:

Would love them as AU's. I hope the inspiration/energy for you to update these will emerge one day.

• @j_liljedahl and what about the sequencer with tight AUM integration, please?

• edited April 2017

@anickt said:

@greengrocer said:

@mannix said:

Wow, you're putting words in my mouth I just not say. Read what I'm saying instead of putting me up as somebody who's insulting a top dev. Just an awful method of trying to put me in the role of an insulter.

To be clear. The only thing I say is that I support the suggestion of @mannix to come up with a special update celebration sale. Which would be nice for me because I don't have the budget, besides that a sale could boost sales for the app. But maybe I just should have added that last point. This is something different than just telling the dev to make the product cheaper so I can buy it. I'm talking about suggestion, price and buying. Which is in my eyes something different than a plea for a lower price. I remember posts on this forum about prices of apps (too high or too low) which in my eyes is a total different discussion.

It's just a sale suggestion, the dev can is free to do what he wants with it, I don't see anything insulting in that.

• @greengrocer said:

@mannix said:

• edited April 2017

@anickt said:

@greengrocer said:

@mannix said:

What is this for nonsense remark of insulting a dev. I just say I second @mannix suggestion for a celebration discount which could mean for me that I could be able to buy the app. But of course a (temporary) sale could also boost sales. So maybe I should have made my point a little bit wider. This is of course something completely different than telling a top dev to lower the pricepoint of his app. It's a suggestion not an attack on the pricelevel of an app. The dev can do with my suggestion what he wants. Pricelevels (fair or not) of apps is a whole different discussion.