Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Comments

• There is so much more to a song than it's chord structure and bits of melody. I think a lot of these suits are the equivalent of one painter suing another for using the same shades of oil and brush technique. I hate lawyers, even if I am married to one. :)

• No. See Carly Rae Jepsen, 'Emotion' album.

• @JohnnyGoodyear Very interesting article. Thanks for posting sir!

• I think the restrictions placed by the listening public on what constitutes 'a nice tune' will inevitably limit and exhaust its range.

With the experimental stuff I like you can do anything, so there's no chance of running out of unique combos of sound and note. But it's not pop.

• Pop turned to poop years ago. The overtly commercial nature of the industry these days doesn't leave any room for surprise hits from uncommerical material.
    As Zappa said years ago there was more freedom in the industry when old dudes with cigars who didn't understand the 'new music' but were willing to take chances on new stuff were in charge. Zappa said that in the '80s and it's only gotten worse since then.

• So the solution is, video everything you do, in case you get sued. Hmm..

• @pichi said:
    Pop turned to poop years ago. The overtly commercial nature of the industry these days doesn't leave any room for surprise hits from uncommerical material.
    As Zappa said years ago there was more freedom in the industry when old dudes with cigars who didn't understand the 'new music' but were willing to take chances on new stuff were in charge. Zappa said that in the '80s and it's only gotten worse since then.

My daughter has just brought out her first album, very pop and radio friendly. From what I can see the industry is now controlled by dj types.

• @MonzoPro said:

@pichi said:
    Pop turned to poop years ago. The overtly commercial nature of the industry these days doesn't leave any room for surprise hits from uncommerical material.

My daughter has just brought out her first album, very pop and radio friendly. From what I can see the industry is now controlled by dj types.

Congrats. :) My daughter also likes current pop, the top boy band here in Japan. Obviously I'm not the target audience for it, but I am impressed by the songwriting and musicianship that goes into the albums. J pop is controlled by major labels like Sony Music, but I have to admit they make good product. If the boy bands had stronger vocals I'd enjoy listening more.

• edited April 2017

Interesting article @JohnnyGoodyear. Thank you. It makes sense that there are only so many combinations of notes to make pleasing melodies over a pleasing progression of three or four chords. Perhaps his majesty was right.

• There are 23 pop songs remaining to be written. I did the math.

• @pichi said:

@MonzoPro said:

@pichi said:

Congrats. :) My daughter also likes current pop, the top boy band here in Japan. Obviously I'm not the target audience for it, but I am impressed by the songwriting and musicianship that goes into the albums. J pop is controlled by major labels like

She had an opportunity to go with that one but was advised not to. Apparently 'some' of the bigger labels hoover up artists and then don't promote them, leaving the way clear for their big artists, but I'm sure that one does nothing of the sort. She's with a good smaller one, and getting loads of airplay on R1 and TV - I nearly choked on my cuppa when she turned up as part of the soundtrack to a popular tv show last night.

Strange old business, I'm getting an inside view to how it all works, and quite relieved my stuff is about as commercial as a bucket of old custard.

• Maybe it's time everyone stopped using the same guy :*

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Max_Martin

• @MonzoPro said:
    She had an opportunity to go with that one but was advised not to. Apparently 'some' of the bigger labels hoover up artists and then don't promote them, leaving the way clear for their big artists, but I'm sure that one does nothing of the sort. She's with a good smaller one, and getting loads of airplay on R1 and TV - I nearly choked on my cuppa when she turned up as part of the soundtrack to a popular tv show last night.

Strange old business, I'm getting an inside view to how it all works, and quite relieved my stuff is about as commercial as a bucket of old custard.

Pretty cool that she's is doing something in music. My daughter is in a high school band which has been doing pretty well in 'battle of the bands' ... which is still a thing over here. Don't know how far that will go but at least she's having fun.

• @jn2002dk said:
    Maybe it's time everyone stopped using the same guy :*

That guy rules, though

• @oat_phipps said:

@jn2002dk said:

That guy rules, though

Oh i didn't mean to imply anything about him. I wish i had his talent for writing hit songs. I just thought it was funny in a semi relevant way

• Fucking lawyers. That TLC stuff is bull. Sounds nothing like shape of you except a similar chord progression. Are we going to sue everyone who uses the same chord progression now?

• @oat_phipps said:

@jn2002dk said:

That guy rules, though

Yes, he does.

My wife is my plagiarism detector. I'll be working on a tune two rooms away--and then an hour later she'll be humming a song that is close but not exactly the melody I've been working on. And I'll ask her: "what are you singing?" And she'll say: "I don't know why I am singing that, but it's ____".

• Open Source Popular Music, from now on, I say.

• @MonzoPro said:

@pichi said:

@MonzoPro said:

@pichi said:

Congrats. :) My daughter also likes current pop, the top boy band here in Japan. Obviously I'm not the target audience for it, but I am impressed by the songwriting and musicianship that goes into the albums. J pop is controlled by major labels like

She's going to be huge and you will be footnoted as a strange seed. It is the father's fate if fortunate.

• @u0421793 said:
    Open Source Popular Music, from now on, I say.

The record labels would just love that.

• Pop music will never run out, trends will keep on being recycled over and over again.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@MonzoPro said:

@pichi said:

@MonzoPro said:

@pichi said:

She's going to be huge and you will be footnoted as a strange seed. It is the father's fate if fortunate.

I've already been edited out by the PR machine - can't have a pop starlet's brand tarnished by connection to a mad old Terry Riley fan, making squeaky noises on an iPad in the Welsh hills.

• Good article with an unfortunate click-bait-y title that almost discouraged me from clicking on it.

I loved this quote:

Over to Pete Townshend who, asked about One Direction’s Best Song Ever, whose opening bars were similar to the Who’s Baba O’Riley, released a statement saying: “The chords I used and the chords they used are the same three chords we’ve all been using in basic pop music since Buddy Holly, Eddie Cochran and Chuck Berry made it clear that fancy chords don’t mean great music – not always. I’m still writing songs that sound like Baba O’Riley – or I’m trying to.”

Though, I personally am really averse to using samples, loops by other people, and even presets, in my own music; I often love the results of sampling and even blatant melodic "borrowing" in pop music.

In my mind this is how music has always been up until the last century. It's all about the performance, and the recordings themselves are artifacts - aural representations of a phase in a band's career, affected by the time and place of the recording. It's downright weird when you think about it. Think about 80s production with the huge gated drums and reverb on everything, then you look at a working band like The Fixx, who are still touring and doing those same songs, and I bet to those guys those songs are so divorced from those reverb and chorus-drenched recordings made in the 80s which sound really dated now.

I especially enjoy overtly uncleared sample-based music that almost comes from a punk rock mindset, where if you fuck with the samples enough they are unrecognizable (arists like Gas or The Orb), to internet-forum folk genres like vaporwave, created on cracked software, where a song might be a pitched down phrase from an obscure Michael Bolton song that you never thought to pay attention to before - and that's one of the things I love about sampling-based music is that the producers tend to hone in on the recordings themselves - the texture and mood that a studio recording gives a living song in the brief window in that song's life that it was recorded in a studio by a professional engineer on high end equipment.

And also I totally agree with Townsend above about working within the limitations of the western pop format. And, there were probably hundreds of these articles written about the end of rock one of the many times that genre "died", because nobody had any new ideas.

• @MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@MonzoPro said:

@pichi said:

@MonzoPro said:

@pichi said:

I've already been edited out by the PR machine - can't have a pop starlet's brand tarnished by connection to a mad old Terry Riley fan, making squeaky noises on an iPad in the Welsh hills.

You'll be in the Wiki entry once dead.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@MonzoPro said:

@pichi said:

@MonzoPro said:

@pichi said:

You'll be in the Wiki entry once dead.

My claim to fame.

• Surely the growing number of chart friendly songs (since pop's conceptuin) combined with sentry like Internet algorithms are to blame. Let's hope this leads to creation of more interesting pop music. Rather than lazy bums with connection putting dots together as if in a video game.

Interestingly not too many lawsuits evolve around lyrical content.