Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

What apps are your greatest battery suckers

I know it is a subject with many variables and not an exact science and if one uses one app a lot it will clearly come on top like Loopy in my case. I thought though it might shed light on some apps that are more system intensive than others. Here's mine:

Note: this is my music Ipad and I use it 99% to make music on so not much web browsing etc.

Comments

• Gadget - by far.

• Gadget, not even close.

• Gadget.
    Unfortunately, cause it's my favorite. It's odd, playing ODYSSEi, iWavestation, iM1 standalone doesn't use excessive battery (also no CPU Heat).
    But opening Gadget and playing the keys on 1 simple gadget heats up my Pro and drains battery.

• Gadget. Auxy can also eat away at battery if there's many tracks going on at once.

• Gadget followed by Gadget and Gadget.

• Gadget for sure! And ElasticDrums as well :smile:

• Gadget for sure but Loopy is almost as bad

• Gadget

To the point where i've deleted it. Nothing else comes close to the battery drain after the 3.0 update

• edited April 2017

@jn2002dk said:
    Gadget

To the point where i've deleted it. Nothing else comes close to the battery drain after the 3.0 update

Which is making me consider rolling back to the previous version as none of the new additions make it worthwhile staying on v 3.

• @supadom said:

@jn2002dk said:
    Gadget

Which is making me consider rolling back to the previous version as none of the new additions make it worthwhile staying on v 3.

I wish i had kept a backup of the older version

• Its weird though. i haven't really noticed an increase in battery drain between gadget 3 and the previous version.
    Its always been a massive drain but one that still means i can play for 3-4 hrs.

• edited April 2017

@Cib said:
    Safari

I totally agree with you on this

• @gonekrazy3000 said:
    Its weird though. i haven't really noticed an increase in battery drain between gadget 3 and the previous version.
    Its always been a massive drain but one that still means i can play for 3-4 hrs.

Same here and it's always heated up my Air2, (with 12+ Gadgets on the go) I don't see it as being particularly worse now than before.

• @Igneous1 said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:
    Its weird though. i haven't really noticed an increase in battery drain between gadget 3 and the previous version.

Same here and it's always heated up my Air2, (with 12+ Gadgets on the go) I don't see it as being particularly worse now than before.

same here. I'm on an Air2. Maybe the massive drain in the new version is a bug specific to iphones ?

• ^ It drains both my iPad and iPhone.

I agree Gadget has been doing this prior to the 3.0 update.

• edited April 2017

Facebook.... I'M SO ASHAMED!!!!! (runs away crying)

• Gadget since version 3 is extreme on my Air 2. Also the iPad heats up considerably. Drains the battery quick despite the 500ma coming from the USB. I'm sure it wasnt like this before version 3.

• Gadget is the only app that will kill my iPad's battery by morning if I forget to close it the night before...

• iBooks is another one that drains my battery quick. Always amazed at how reading a book kills battery life so fast. All that white space I guess...

• @Tarekith said:
    iBooks is another one that drains my battery quick. Always amazed at how reading a book kills battery life so fast. All that white space I guess...

If ur reading epubs, turn dat page black! I read on night mode all the time and it seems to last way longer.

• AudioCopy (the Я app). At least it used to. It was reported but not fixed the last I had it installed.

• @Audiojunkie said:

Felines need their audience too. You're providing a great service for which we're all greatful ;)

• @oddSTAR said:
    Gadget is the only app that will kill my iPad's battery by morning if I forget to close it the night before...

I think this one is worth exploring. Namely: identifying apps that suck battery even if not actually making sound.

I often leave my whole live session in standby and it might actually only go down 15% in half a day which is nice. Another reason is that it allows to set up the whole thing on stage at suomdcheck until showtime without the worry of finding no power at showtime ar having to reboot and restart the whole shop.

• edited April 2017

GeoShred right now. I apparently left it on, even though there was no red bar, after I home-clicked away to go surf Reddit or something. When I came back in the morning the battery was down significantly (like from 98% to 51%)and I couldn't figure out why until I remembered to double-click the home button and saw that GeoShred was running in the background. The Battery screen confirmed my usage was almost all background processing.

There has to be a better way than having to do the "double-click home, swipe up" routine every time you use an app. It should sleep gracefully after some time of not having my fat fingers pressing its buttons.

• @supadom said:

@Audiojunkie said:

Felines need their audience too. You're providing a great service for which we're all greatful ;)

Hahaha!!

• @fprintf said:
    GeoShred right now. I apparently left it on, even though there was no red bar, after I home-clicked away to go surf Reddit or something. When I came back in the morning the battery was down significantly (like from 98% to 51%)and I couldn't figure out why until I remembered to double-click the home button and saw that GeoShred was running in the background. The Battery screen confirmed my usage was almost all background processing.

There has to be a better way than having to do the "double-click home, swipe up" routine every time you use an app. It should sleep gracefully after some time of not having my fat fingers pressing its buttons.

I had the same with Samplr. Not sure if the sequencer was running with none of the loops enabled but it did suck a lot of juice from the tank. I'm still traumatised by that experience

• In any kind of evaluation like this, I think it is important to keep in mind how much much battery drain you have per unit of time, differences in battery use depending upon which patch you're using, background versus foreground usage, Bluetooth, wi-fi, and airport modes effect battery usage, running multiple apps at once, making sure all other apps are closed by shutting down your iOS device and restarting it. The charge status of the battery may not be a linear function over time either so comparisons made with the same level of charge would be ideal for comparisons too.

• edited April 2017

@InfoCheck said:
    In any kind of evaluation like this, I think it is important to keep in mind how much much battery drain you have per unit of time, differences in battery use depending upon which patch you're using, background versus foreground usage, Bluetooth, wi-fi, and airport modes effect battery usage, running multiple apps at once, making sure all other apps are closed by shutting down your iOS device and restarting it. The charge status of the battery may not be a linear function over time either so comparisons made with the same level of charge would be ideal for comparisons too.

I think we have a clear winner even without encroaching onto Cochrane territory.