Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Beginning with Turnado

I'm trying to understand something about Turnado.

I checked the pdf online manual but couldn't discern the info easy enough. There's plenty in there about tweaking to infinitum, but my question is more basic.

--Generally speaking, when you use an effect, (I'm playing line-in with my bass guitar), the effect triggers when you play a note/fret. Now, i was hoping that the pitch of said effect would change when u player a different note/fret. Is this not the case?

As i say, very basic question. -i don't know if tweaking using the EDIT button can make this a reality but wanted to ask on the surface, if it's possible.

Because some of the stock effects are quite interesting, but they don't change, they act as more of an accompaniment to my bass notes. -some of them obviously so drastic they dominate the bass note too much.

Incidentally I'm tying to match THIS particular bass sound:
(Wanted to link to the song here but Spotify's 'share URL' option is failing me), suffice to say, the song is Jamiroquai - Vitamin

Thanks all

Comments

• Turnado AFAIK doesn't have a harmoniser/octaves effects. You'll need ToneStack for that. Turnado isn't exactly ideal for bass to be play with but of course you can do it and come up with interesting stuff.

• looked up that song to me it just sounded like fuzz, or bitcrush effects mixed in with the bass amp tone. in turnaround, click edit and dig in and adjust settings. and also try different wet dry settings to blend the effect in. it should be pretty doable in turnado

• @eross aye I've heard FUZZ pedals (in Amplitube for example). And i agree with you, i thought they were pretty close... they just sounded a touch more on the distorted side than when I'm after.

'Bitcrush', I'm guessing this is a general term for 'crushing?'. I need to learn more about these terms. -as u noticed, I'm a bassist really, so i don't normally have much desire for effects like a guitarist might.

I have an app called iFretlessBass which has some really nice-sounding bass sounds and I'm happy with it for certain scenarios but to cover this song i want to use a real bass (like they do), for more dynamic.

I also have SugarBytes WOW and Effextrix but I'm a total noob on them.

I will try and stick with Turnado for now and tweak some stuff.

I feel like such a noob on this board! (But i do like the board)! many many ppl with great knowledge here.

• edited April 2017

well.. I must be just terrible with these apps..
    I just spent about 3 hours and tried quite a few different things with :

• Amplitube (has nice fuzz, but no crush afaics) I WENT WITH A CLEAN AMP + FUZZ PEDAL FROM HEREON IN) -I still think the fuzz sounds a bit too distorted but it was the best I could find so far so I went with it.
    • BiasFX (couldn't find any crushing features)
    • iDensity, ApeFilter (while amazing, couldn't find any crush perse')
    • WOW - great dials/knobs- very easy to adjust wave shape. Went through about half the entire lot or presets adjusting various knobs along the way. I know it was only my first try at it today but I felt a lot of the defaults were quite metallic sounding.
      ----- although there are tonnes of tweakable dials --I only noticed at the end of tonight there is a drop-down arrow and 'crush' is selectable there. I chose it, but even after tweaking fairly carefully, it sounded messy and scratchy. I couldn't get that clean sound that u hear on the Vitamin track. They've used this effect time and time again over the years (chorus bass line on 2001's Funk Odyssey track : 'feels so good').

• Turnado, I have to say, impressed with the no of combinations possible, (as with WOW), but again, quite metallic, but not what I would consider 'juicy' ( a word used in the pdf manual). I thought alot of it sounded quite 'glitchy', I mean that in the stylistic sense ( not to say there are bugs!). More experimental, than instantly likeable or recognisable.

The crush element seems to fall under the 'leveliser' category. I tried EDITing some of the closest-sounding presets but I began to sound further away than when I just simply stuck with the basic 'clean amp + fuzz pedal' in Amplitube.

So.... Not much luck and losing faith in my abilities tbh!

• had a quick listen , bass sounds " synthy " which probably means if it is played on a bass then there is probably an envelope follower controlling a filter , in addition to any other distortion , bitcrushing etc .
    So I suggest you experiment with Turnado's envelope follower section , which is the middle green modulation source for all of the fx , but in the first instance try using to control the Filter , or maybe Filter Pattern FX block .
    The envelope follower should track your bass , so every note you play causes a re-triggering of the control envelope , which you can apply to different fx parameters ,
    most likely filter freq or/& resonance .

• edited April 2017

@Wally thanks for the detailed advice.
    When I first read it 2 days ago I was a bit busy. I do feel I'm a bit out of my depth here but here's what's happening for me....

(Amplitude won't seem to pass through into Turnado). It was my first choice but ive settled for BIASFX coming into Turnado.

I have all fx switched off apart from one (which is FILTER). With the effect applied, I've left it at default settings, but here's where I'm confused..

Tweaking any of the dials in that middle green section (ENV-FLW) is doing nothing. Having no effect on the sound
    I must be doing something wrong...

• Did you figure it out, @SkEvolver?

• No, not been back to it the last couple days.
    Been Easter break'ing. 0

• edited April 2017

A quick google search says he's using a 3leaf You're Doom fuzz pedal. After watching a vid on it, I think Caramel could do it fairly well, and maybe even the new Self-a-Fuzz. The latter is somewhat complex, but Caramel seems a good bet.

Caramel - Crunch and Crusher Effects Processor by Holderness Media
    https://appsto.re/us/AkMQ0.i

• I'll give it to the bass player, that's a really cool tone. Probably difficult to dial in, but not impossible

• Yeah I'm gonna leave Turnado alone for a little while. It seems very versatile but I'm not very au fait with synth terms like LFO, etc so I feel like an idiot just tweaking away not knowing what I'm really tweaking. I know it's good to experiment but I can be there for hours with it and come away none the wiser.

When I look at videos of this 'future impact' (real pedal) I'm amazed/inspired by what I can do. I'm not trying to compare Turnado to this pedal ! but, as others have hinted, maybe it's just quite hard to get Turnado to be effective with bass guitar.

@oat_phipps thanks for doing the googling. -i might well try out those two apps. It would be great if they offered a demo, although I checked out Doug Woods' YouTube demo and it sounds quite promising.

Fairly recently I got the chance to meet Paul turner (the bassist) at a gig he was doing with Brother Strut , but like this I should have asked him there and then! but I was too busy pestering him about that new jamiroquai album. :-) it was about September last year.

• I find Tonestack best overall for guitar FX, and it has a lot of bass specific amps, cabs etc.

• edited April 2017

Going back over my records.. by that I don't mean LPs! (That's another story!), I just mean stuff I've tinkered with and uploaded to SoundCloud...

I found some bass I recorded using AmpKit. I was quite happy with this tone at the time. I think it could be said that it's 'kind of' on the way to being what I want to mark this Vitamin song. This sample is quite fat. The Vitamin song is a lot more 'flattened out?'. --it doesn't have that typical 'ripped' sound that I seem to observe on 'crushed' sounds... You know... The kind which sounds almost like they were coming out of a Sega Megadrive...

I would describe this Vitamin tone as 'buzzy'.
    If anyone's willing to listen to this sample I've recorded... could they give me any advice what I can do to get it more towards that Vitamin sound? Someone has suggested to me using a filter, or an envelope but I don't honestly know what that means.

(If) I'm heading in the right direction with this... Can anyone recommend a suitable app to get based on what I have recorded?

Listen to Session 01 from AmpKit by SkillipEvolver #np on #SoundCloud