Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Is iOS music professional?

124»

Comments

• Music tech on an iPad or iPhone is pretty powerful now. But with that said, of course you won't be able, to compete in terms of the quality with the top of the range desktop/laptop software at this point in time, or at least not in all areas (AU reverbs?). But maybe it's not so important in all genres. When someone says to me 'yeah I like the track but the sound quality isn't quite up to scratch', then I'll worry about it. Until then, happy enough with what iOS offers.

• @Hosh said:
    When someone says to me 'yeah I like the track but the sound quality isn't quite up to scratch', then I'll worry about it. Until then, happy enough with what iOS offers.

+1 - Spot on,

• I agree with the points made that in the hands of someone who knows what to do right, any tool can be used for professional purposes.

I maintain we are at pro level with iOS apps now

• @AndyPlankton said:

@OscarSouth said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@OscarSouth said:
    Playing some loops in Launchpad = You pressed play.

This is a very sweeping statement.....
    Where this can be true...it is not always true....With the live FX you can do a performance in Launchpad just like you can on a turntable, even pressing play on the right part at the right time is performance...
    AND...If you played those loops yourself and recorded and produced them into Launchpad......? Are you still not a musician ?
    What about if have a beat going on an MPC, Beatstep feeding into a Mini Moog, and StepPolyArp feeding into Layr........you press play......?

There are far too many variables to be taken into account to give this conversation any validity.

It's a very slippery and ambiguous scale, as you describe.

Is a classical performer who's never put two notes together of their own will a musician? We already know that the answer is yes.

In general, music is a very inclusive field, however the DJ thing is a particularly difficult point of definition.

This is a result of the technical age....historically it was the drummer who was on the receiving end of "jokes" about not being musical and 'just hitting things'.

Or one could say an orchestra conductor is not performing music because they are not actually performing any particular instrument. Rather, they are directing the group ...much like a DJ controlling clips. :o

• @Thomas said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@OscarSouth said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@OscarSouth said:

Where this can be true...it is not always true....With the live FX you can do a performance in Launchpad just like you can on a turntable, even pressing play on the right part at the right time is performance...
    AND...If you played those loops yourself and recorded and produced them into Launchpad......? Are you still not a musician ?
    What about if have a beat going on an MPC, Beatstep feeding into a Mini Moog, and StepPolyArp feeding into Layr........you press play......?

There are far too many variables to be taken into account to give this conversation any validity.

Is a classical performer who's never put two notes together of their own will a musician? We already know that the answer is yes.

In general, music is a very inclusive field, however the DJ thing is a particularly difficult point of definition.

This is a result of the technical age....historically it was the drummer who was on the receiving end of "jokes" about not being musical and 'just hitting things'.

Or one could say an orchestra conductor is not performing music because they are not actually performing any particular instrument. Rather, they are directing the group ...much like a DJ controlling clips. :o

Good analogy, really highlights how ambiguous the distinctions are in this discussion.

• @Thomas said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@OscarSouth said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@OscarSouth said:

One could, but one shouldn't...that conductor is as important as every other individual in that orchestra.....much like the drummer in a band, and a DJ and their clips....All important.....All musical artists.......All equal

• @AndyPlankton said:

@Thomas said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@OscarSouth said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@OscarSouth said:

One could, but one shouldn't...that conductor is as important as every other individual in that orchestra.....much like the drummer in a band, and a DJ and their clips....All important.....All musical artists.......All equal

Also the play button.
    Very. Important. Button.

• "Instruments are for hacks" - said a professional beatboxer, probably.

• @AndyPlankton said:

@Thomas said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@OscarSouth said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@OscarSouth said:

And all subject to bants/putting down/ridicule/bullying/discrimination....whatever you want to call it...its ugly

• @AndyPlankton said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@Thomas said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@OscarSouth said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@OscarSouth said:

And all subject to bants/putting down/ridicule/bullying/discrimination....whatever you want to call it...its ugly

I'm a bass player myself. You know how many of me it takes to screw in a lightbulb?

None. The keyboard player can do it with his left hand.

• @db909 said:
    If you have fun with it then no, not professional. Professional things can only come through painstaking and tedious processes and tools that require years of blood sweat and tears to become remotely proficient at. Because nothing is easy in this life and if you don't experience at least a low level, constant pain and frustration then you're just not doing it right friend. Your music is no good.

I always thought professional meant you were paid for your work.

• @InfoCheck said:

@db909 said:
    If you have fun with it then no, not professional. Professional things can only come through painstaking and tedious processes and tools that require years of blood sweat and tears to become remotely proficient at. Because nothing is easy in this life and if you don't experience at least a low level, constant pain and frustration then you're just not doing it right friend. Your music is no good.

Well yes, but there's a qualitative connotation to the question regarding if the quality is good enough to pay for but the bottom line is I was being sarcastic.

• @theconnactic said:

@supadom said:

@theconnactic said:
    P.S.: and, of course, if a DJ is paid tp appear in a club, he/she is a professional. Just not a professional musician (a flower is not a cat; a DJ is not a musician). :smiley:

Yeah, it's a funny one that one.

I used do think that DJs are not musicians and kind of still do. However since the emergence of electronic instruments things aren't as clear cut anymore. 70's sequencers and arms sound more glamorous than Ableton live scenes but are preprogrammed pieces all the same. A lot of electronic music today is pre-composed and simply launched and tweaked rather than being cooked on the spot.

I guess this is home made lasagne vs lasagne from the supermarket scenario. They both get cooked in the oven but what a difference!

P.s. Or is it self made lasagne, frozen for later consumption?

If I play a couple of video clips, does that make me a filmmaker? If I show you a photograph taken by a friend, does that make me a phptographer? If I read you an excerpt from a book, does that make me a writer?

No, my friend: the lines are just clear cut as before, and the way you used to think is still correct. What happened is that, since the emergence of electronic music, musicians started to DJ and vice versa, but playing guitar still doesn't make you a DJ, the same way disc jocking doesn't make you a musician.

To categorize all creations by DJs as not music is a very parochial perspective. Clearly some of the sounds created by DJ's do not resemble the original music sources at all and are something different. DJs were very influential and led directly to hip hop. There's a difference between what you like, how you believe music should be made, and what constitutes music. There can certainly be broader or narrower definitions of music.

Like all issues having to do with personal preferences and tastes it doesn't seem reasonable to expect everyone else to share your perspective as if you had access to an absolute truth they should accept once you've explained it to them.

• @db909 said:

@InfoCheck said:

@db909 said:

Well yes, but there's a qualitative connotation to the question regarding if the quality is good enough to pay for but the bottom line is I was being sarcastic.

I think the general public who ultimately pays the professional musicians could care less about the suffering or not of musicians. There is something to be said for your point that life is rarely smooth sailing all the way and the ability to persevere through difficult and frustrating circumstances can definitely be a limiting factor to how much someone can accomplish. Suffering for sufferings sake isn't very appealing unless you're a masochist and certainly doesn't guarantee quality results either.

• edited April 2017

I agree

• edited April 2017

Culture always builds on the past.
    The past always tries to control the future.
    Our future is becoming less free.
    To build free societies you must limit the control of the past
    — Brett Gaylor in Rip! A Remix Manifesto[6]

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/RiP!:_A_Remix_Manifesto

Turntablism is using turntable as instrument. It has TWO notations so it could be considered even more musical than regular (and outdated) instruments if we discuss it badly :wink:

Also it could be defined like "monophonic (pseudopolyphonic) hand controlled sampler" since you don't hit "play" and that's all. You have some interaction with volume, playhead reproduction speed, direction and acceleration afecting its pitch too.

If you add a fretless it goes even further...

BUT even in mixing context it could be considered music instrument when you alter eq, panning and merge parts since the final product will be different from the original. It's not taking pics from other and show them or videoclips AS IS. There is some addition and that addition makes it a new art piece. If you alter the pics or vids you are doing vjing or live cinema in the same way if you are launching clips and merging them you are doing a new version. If you don't merge in anyway you are doing a Spotify playlist and that's not djing or musicist neither.

Now with true arguments and facts (not objetivist opinion like A = A...)

Professionalism is determined by some focus (or consideration) in make it a living. if you expent more than revenue then is a hobbie, sorry.

If you can make a living with something, then you are making a professional use of that thing so you can consider yourself a professional. The rest are wishful thinking...

• @Dubbylabby said:

If you can make a living with something, then you are making a professional use of that thing so you can consider yourself a professional. The rest are wishful thinking...

My point entirely! Professionalism is not about "being good", is about being able to make a living with a given activity. Even DJ'ing ;) ;)

• @theconnactic said:

@Dubbylabby said:

My point entirely! Professionalism is not about "being good", is about being able to make a living with a given activity. Even DJ'ing ;) ;)

To make a living in some field you must to be good in these field. The problem is identify what is important to "be good" in these field.
    Music business is not only about being good musician, or better said... to be a true good musician nowadays you should look into music business too... almost if you want to make a living job (and pay the bills).

In Djing terms it isn't enough to be a good "mixer" or "turntablist" neither. As musicians djs also need to understand music business and work their careers. Actually you need to improve your musical skills beyond the ones I stated and produce your own material, even when these could be remixes or versions but that's not to be considered as musicians by people like you... it's because how music business works and how to sell live experiences to the fanbase. Also some producers had to start djing to get booked for live shows since touring is another revenue stream for professional artist and/or musicians.

The point is we can be agree in the form but totally disagree in the essence. That makes a huge but subtile difference...

• Being good is subjective, paying the bills is not. ;)

Fact is, there is talented hobbyists in all fields, sometimes as skilled and proficient as, or even more than professionals in their fields. Yet, they simply don't pursue that particular interest as a profession, simple as that. Conversely, there are folks that are completely mediocre in their daily work activities, yet they do (barely) enough to keep their job. Are they professionals? Definitely yes. They sometimes make up for their lacklustre professional skills with social skills, with low price, with high availability etc.; whatever the reason, as long as their are paying their bills, they are professionals. If someone makes a living by playing very simple sampled drums in cover bands with GB iOS's virtual drum er (I know at least one such person), he's a professional, regardless of what anyone thinks about his playing, GB drums' sounds or whatever.

• edited April 2017

Again you miss the point ad go in circles...

@Dubbylabby said:

To make a living in some field you must to be good in these field. The problem is identify what is important to "be good" in these field.
    Music business is not only about being good musician, or better said... to be a true good musician nowadays you should look into music business too... almost if you want to make a living job (and pay the bills).

Being mediocre you will be out of music business as living soon or dawned to make those things less atractive such weddings, baptisms and communions. Sure you still will be a professional but it's hard to make a living if you are good enough. It means good to your boss who pays you with money for your good work meaning people satisfaction. The same goes for djs and that's one of the reasons for lots of them doing these works (is cheaper to pay one person than pay an entirely group but also it's easy for djs to take request, etc etc etc). Adaptability. Atm in some niches of these fields is not possible to make a revenue since things like spotify have emerged in parties. Those djs who only put taste and low mixing skill are less and less hired. In the oppossite top-djs seem the new rockstars... just this year it seems again the trend is coming back to bands but it still has to grow to the same point and again the problem about one vs group price so one man band seems a good bet. For being one man band djs skills are also required in addition to keyboard and/or guitar, sometimes even beatboxing. Almost that's what I see at internet noise and my world around (Spain).

The point is we can be agree in the form but totally disagree in the essence. That makes a huge but subtile difference...

At last you have examples of professionals using iOS in their setups so that's it.

Let me ask you something... Are you a professional of music field?

• edited April 2017

@Dubbylabby, I'm running in circles but absolutely on point. And while stating how you disagree with me, you just subscribe to my points without even noticing. It seems you got somewhat offended by the fact I stated (which I still believe is true) that a DJ is not a musician per se (and that never meant a DJ is less worthy than a musician, and I stressed that, because some of my best friends are professional DJs). Or is it a language barrier? If have the necessary good will, you'll see that I stated already quite a fee examples of professional usage of iOS in music, and I can add myself as an example (more of it later).

First, let's adress this; yes, a DJ can be a musician (and vice versa), but not by simply being a DJ; a turntable can be used as an instrument the same way a bottle or a seesaw also can, but none of the three were designed as a musical instrument. The turntablist that is in a band, or orchestra, or creating new beats, or supporting a rapper, he/she is a musician. A DJ that plays the latest top ten EDM hits in your local club is not, no matter how many tweaking he does while reproducing these recordings (not covering songs, which is the work of a musician), just as I don't become a photographer by applying an Instagram filter to my friend's photo 'cause, you know, it's cool. :)

Second, professional is the one who pays the bills with an activity, period. You can use the word in a connotative way, as you can do with any word, but the literal meaning is this, and only this, no matter whoever flouce because of that. If he barely pays his bills, or lead a poor living standard with whatever he/she earns, it couldn't matter less - as long as he works with it for money, and you for leisure, he's a pro, and you are not, even if you do what he does way better than him or her (and this happens many times). Life isn't and doesn't have to be fair.

Third, yes: I earn my living primarily by producing, arranging, composing, and playing at record sessions for local artists here in Rio, using Auria Pro more often than not these days, and also doing soundtracks (mostly for corporative videos, but also for advertising), and have a few music students as well. I don't work with any big names yet (and I still hope to become someday a big name myself, so...), and I pay all my bills working with music only, and that since I left my parents' house two decades ago. So yes, I am a professional, and this should not be taken as trying to make myself look better,, because it's not: being a professional doesn't make me better than you or anyone else, and btw there are other professional musicians and producers lurking here. Are you a professional, @Dubbylabby?

• Ok, colour me confused.

So a turntablist cutting and beat juggling for a rapper is a musician (other people's records mind)? But the same DJ playing a club set using the same skills is not a musician because they are just playing other people's records? Is the rapper a musician? I'm guessing a guitarist in a pub rock band covering someone else's music is a musician though? Even though they are just playing someone else's songs? But they make it sound different? And the DJ makes it sound different too but not on a real instrument so it doesn't count? Have you seen Jeff Mills DJ by the way? He is a masterful musician in my book. What if I get to play with the Berlin Philarmonic triggering manipulated samples of traffic noises? Am I a musician? What about Bez from the Happy Mondays? Was he a musician? I'm sure he played the maracas on a few of their tunes.

Ok I'm playing now but this discussion seems so out of place on this awesome 'everyone can be a musician if they want to be' forum.

• edited April 2017

@theconnactic I will try last time...

First you are starting to talk a bit more concisely about djing. Bravo. You still confuse your opinion with facts but that's a first step. The sadly part is you seem not going to do anymore. It's ok, it's your opinion, don't worry... but if you want to expand your definition of Artist and how media jockeys or media manglers are considered musicians in some way even with or without solfeo or propietary notation just check my first video link. (RIP a remix manifesto)

Second: I'm mostly agree with this definition since I made the same before (and you agree with me, not opposite) but where we differ is in good or bad and how it relates to professionalism. You can be a great professional in all these things you described but talking shit about djing isn't professional or is bad for your career as a professional (almost to work with djs). I'm very happy you have djs friends, you should be the soul of the party everytime they mix. I supose all of these are agree with you in your gospel truths about djing...

Third: I'm not a professional atm since I can't pay my bills atm with music. I do it in the past with things related to music such consultant enginereen or as teacher in electronic first steps. That's why I can talk about djing with some opinion and also as musician (singer not rapping most of the time) but it doesn't care and I'm not going to play the ad hominem fallacy for this neither. The links and the work of some many individuals talk by themselves.

I have my opinion as you have your own but I articulate mine with info (arguments) and you with opinions, that's it.

• edited April 2017

@gusgranite, yes to all of your questions. I am a huge fan of both Jeff Miller and Bez. When some one uses his/her skills at the turntable to perform music, he/she is a musician. When the turntable is used for its original purpose, to reproduce sets of recordings together in a tasteful way, the user is a DJ, who performs a respectable form of art, but not a musician. Everyone can be a musician if they want to be, even, let's say, a bank accountant. But the accountant is a musician when doing music, not accounting. Anyway, yes: everyone can be a musician! All the best.

@Dubbylabby, is just your opinion that you use arguments and I don't. I see exactly the other way around. :) And let's correct you once more about what I say (because I am responsible for my words only, not for what you infer from them): a DJ is an artist (as stated above): she or he perform disc jocking, which is in itself demanding of skills and taste. A DJ is not necessarily a musician, and the reasons were also stated ad nauseam (with argumentst, regardless of your opinions about it, to which you failed to present compelling counterarguments): It's not sad, it's just life: don't worry.

And I explained all thus out of consideration for you and your opinion, because I promised to leave this alone. See? But with your "soul of the party", "it's bad for your carrer", "gospel truths", "talking shit about blah blah blah" and other ad hominem, confrontational bravado, don't even try it: it doesn't make your arguments more compelling, and it doesn't make any rhetoric impact on me whatsoever (my consideration for you and your opinion doesn't go that long, heheh). I said it appeared you were being offended by what I wrote (and, with all honesty, it's comical to be offended by a statement that's not a direct insult, but let's not dwelve in psycology right now), and your instance seems to confirm it. Well, you'll have to get over it, I'm afraid.

Oh, and this could go on forever and ever, because it all just demonstrates that peeps involved in this discussion seem to paradoxically undervaluate DJing as an art form, while at the same time accusing me of disparaging DJing, which is insane because I never did it. So I'll leave it alone again (unless, of course, someone presents a compelling argument, relating to what I really said, not their own emotional, comically outraged reading of my words), because this kind of off-track discussion suits better around the table, while drinking some caipirinhas and eating frango a passarinho. :) All the best!

By the way, wish you all luck in your music endeavours (not empty words here, Dubby: let's not allow our disagreement to foster negative feelings), and hope you can do it full time soon: it's a crazy life, but it's fulfilling at the same time.

• edited April 2017

Excuse me if you understood these as insults, they weren't. I was trying to point how difficult could be near you at dj parties and how these prejudices about musicians taxonomy could be bad for you business. You have been cathegorical most of the time that's why said "gospel truth" but anyways arguments are there and you didn't check neither.

Maybe I can say you when Djs could be musicians, lots aren't... starting from they aren't aware of they can be. Also most of them don't give a shit about being or not since they don't need it to make a professional career in music business... which could be the harash point that drives crazy most producers (not saying you are in those of course).

Studies, tesis (about why is a music tool/instrument) and arguments on the edges have been linked. I see your point and (once again) we can be agreed in the form (but not in the essence).

Best wishes to you too.
    David

• edited April 2017

@theconnactic said:
    :smiley:!

Now THAT is professional. :p