Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Is iOS music professional?

Comments

• Man, or folks (since you use "we", perhaps it's a collective account? Unless you're implying you're the Logos Himself, knowing what's in the minds of everyone) the subject was already over! :D But we can geek up here a little if you want, hehehe...

• Is a toy piano professional?

• edited April 2017

Hey, @igneous1, the part you quoted was on topic, the DJ thing wasn't, so we stopped talking about that. If you guys decide to call me out instead of simply moving on, the topic will derail. :)

• @Love3quency said:
    Btw..by professional I mean..it sounds like it could be played on radio or clubs etc...in other words fully, polished tracks

Well, GorilaZ is definitely professional and recorded an album on iOS, so the answer is yes, you can get commercial grade results on iOS, definitely.

• @johnfromberkeley said:
    Is a toy piano professional?

Well, Jesus Christ Lizard is played with a toy piano, so...

• @theconnactic said:

@supadom said:

@theconnactic said:
    P.S.: and, of course, if a DJ is paid tp appear in a club, he/she is a professional. Just not a professional musician (a flower is not a cat; a DJ is not a musician). :smiley:

Yeah, it's a funny one that one.

I used do think that DJs are not musicians and kind of still do. However since the emergence of electronic instruments things aren't as clear cut anymore. 70's sequencers and arms sound more glamorous than Ableton live scenes but are preprogrammed pieces all the same. A lot of electronic music today is pre-composed and simply launched and tweaked rather than being cooked on the spot.

I guess this is home made lasagne vs lasagne from the supermarket scenario. They both get cooked in the oven but what a difference!

P.s. Or is it self made lasagne, frozen for later consumption?

If I play a couple of video clips, does that make me a filmmaker? If I show you a photograph taken by a friend, does that make me a phptographer? If I read you an excerpt from a book, does that make me a writer?

No, my friend: the lines are just clear cut as before, and the way you used to think is still correct. What happened is that, since the emergence of electronic music, musicians started to DJ and vice versa, but playing guitar still doesn't make you a DJ, the same way disc jocking doesn't make you a musician.

I don't think you understood what I was trying to convey. I wasn't talking about DJs who clearly are mostly presenting and mixing other people's stuff.

Since you've mentioned Ableton Live and clip launching it made me think that if the clips are made by you then why shouldn't that technique of music making less worthy? It lays smewhere between live and studio but that surely is just a detail. I was referring to electronic musicians of the 70's because there's generally no arguing whether they were playing their instruments (like a piano player) or simply pressing the button that would set off the automaton and just tweak the filter knob a la Moroder.

Anyway. This topic is not new to this forum and generally these kind of threads end in peeps insulting each other. Just saying

• @theconnactic said:

@johnfromberkeley said:
    Is a toy piano professional?

Well, Jesus Christ Lizard is played with a toy piano, so...

I believe I've made my point!

• edited April 2017

@AndyPlankton said:
    Is music made with an on-screen signing robot professional ? :P

Now wheres that hiding behind the sofa emoji :D :D :D

https://forum.audiob.us/uploads/editor/c5/vyhocd74io21.gif

Credit: https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/comment/337865/#Comment_337865

• edited April 2017

Is Bm3 gonna be universal? Because with that, Beathawk, Gadget , Sampletank etc , running on your phone, you've got the laptop beat right there out of the gate , meaning you're more more likely to compose as inspiration hits. As I've written here before the sheer number of possibilities on iOS itself is potentially creative paralyzing at this point. So many options, so little battery.
    And now Reason possibly coming to iOS...

• edited April 2017

Profesional work can be (and is often) done with buggy tools. Figuring out workarounds to inadequacies and remaining productive are professional skills.

• @Processaurus said:
    Proffesional work can be (and is often) done with buggy tools. Figuring out workarounds to inadequacies and remaining productive are professional skills.

Exactly, take the early electronic bands like Human League, they said in a documentary (Synth Britannia I think) that half the challenge for them was trying to keep everything in sync.......they were using tools that didn't do the whole job and had to make/do the bits that were missing.

• @Processaurus said:
    Proffesional work can be (and is often) done with buggy tools. Figuring out workarounds to inadequacies and remaining productive are professional skills.

You've just summaried life in one sentence.

• @Telstar5 said:
    Is Bm3 gonna be universal?

I thought I read that it was going to be iPad only at first.

• Robert Fripp (King Crimson) has been using one of the mellotron apps on recent tours, triggered via midi with his guitar.

• I used to think of DJs being in their own category, however-
    By definition, "a musician is one that plays a musical instrument and is musically talented." By definition, "a musical instrument is a tool created or adapted to make musical sounds."
    Many DJs are "musically talented." A turntable, in the right hands(such as a "musically talented" DJ) is most definitely "a tool adapted to make musical sounds."

• Bit surprised to see the 'DJ is not a musician' opinion on this forum. I thought that one was laid to rest years ago...
    Part of the excitement of iOS production (and, by extension, this forum) is that the point of entry into digital music composition/creation/recording is now available to so many. Let's keep it welcoming to all genres and all newcomers (including myself) and you could be helping to foster a very exciting new wave of music production with very few barriers and pigeonholes.

• @gusgranite said:
    Bit surprised to see the 'DJ is not a musician' opinion on this forum. I thought that one was laid to rest years ago...

It's not the forum, just a guy who thought he had a really provocative opinion and tried to shoehorn it into a topic that was tangentially related. A flamboyant form of masturbation, to be sure...

• edited April 2017

;)

• edited April 2017

@gusgranite and @Thomas, DJs are not musicians by being DJs, but definitely they can be musicians, and musicians can be DJs. There's no demerit on being a DJ - it's by itself a form of performance art that requires taste and talent. As @AudioGus cleverly pointed, some people wrongly call an electronic musician a DJ (sometimes, even they call themselves this way) because many of them have to DJ their own music in clubs etc. But if I show you a collection of photographs, I don't become a photographer by doing that; If I make a playlist with cool videoclips, that doesn't make me a film maker; if I read you an excerpt of Shakespeare, I'm not a writer because of this, if I reproduce some recorded music... you see where I'm getting to. And this would be the last thing I'll write about the subject: we can agree to disagree: the ones who get butthurt will have to get over it (not talking about you, @gusgranite or @Thomas, who were civil in your disagreement), and let's stay on topic.

All the best! :)

• @AudioGus said:
    The Hot New Hip Hop Producer etc etc...

https://www.wired.com/2017/04/steve-lacy-iphone-producer/

Interesting how successful he is at a very young age - it's common for musicians but not so for performers. A show case of how powerful Garageband is as an arrangement tool, also. Thank you for the link!

• There are some

@theconnactic said:
    This. Turntables are not instruments but means of phonographic reprodution.

Do you feel the same way about samplers? There are plenty of artists commonly thought of as "musicians" using turntables as instruments.

• @gleandibson said:
    There are some

@theconnactic said:

Do you feel the same way about samplers? There are plenty of artists commonly thought of as "musicians" using turntables as instruments.

And what about sequencers? Are they allowed? Drummachines?

• @gleandibson said:
    There are some

@theconnactic said:

I agree with the core point of @theconnactic 's analogy, though I think that a soft line can be drawn between a person operating a record player to reproduce tracks and a performer engaging in turntablism. By logic, this would trickle down into digital sampling. Performing live using Samplr and Thumbjam = musicianship. Playing some loops in Launchpad = You pressed play.

I think that the field of music is open and inclusive enough to include all forms of music production, whether it be creating music from its basic components or the intelligent re-arrangement of sound, as equally valid methods of music production.

The definition of music that I've come to believe in (so far) is that music is sound with human intent.

• If Professional means serious in term of connectivity with hardware, keyboard, midi options, sync options , famous company apps (Moog,Korg , Roland, Yamaha, Steinberg, Auria etc...) and frequent updates, I would say yes, especially if I compare with android.
    If professional means to make money with iOS music apps, I have really no ideas ( about the musical application developpment ' s market and the income of iOS musicians ). Is it a kind of showcase for the dev and music company and a way of learning music theory and composing for the customers ? Or really a live performance tool and an instrument ?

• @OscarSouth said:
    Playing some loops in Launchpad = You pressed play.

This is a very sweeping statement.....
    Where this can be true...it is not always true....With the live FX you can do a performance in Launchpad just like you can on a turntable, even pressing play on the right part at the right time is performance...
    AND...If you played those loops yourself and recorded and produced them into Launchpad......? Are you still not a musician ?
    What about if have a beat going on an MPC, Beatstep feeding into a Mini Moog, and StepPolyArp feeding into Layr........you press play......?

There are far too many variables to be taken into account to give this conversation any validity.

• @AndyPlankton said:

@OscarSouth said:

Where this can be true...it is not always true....With the live FX you can do a performance in Launchpad just like you can on a turntable, even pressing play on the right part at the right time is performance...
    AND...If you played those loops yourself and recorded and produced them into Launchpad......? Are you still not a musician ?
    What about if have a beat going on an MPC, Beatstep feeding into a Mini Moog, and StepPolyArp feeding into Layr........you press play......?

There are far too many variables to be taken into account to give this conversation any validity.

It's a very slippery and ambiguous scale, as you describe.

Is a classical performer who's never put two notes together of their own will a musician? We already know that the answer is yes.

In general, music is a very inclusive field, however the DJ thing is a particularly difficult point of definition.

• @OscarSouth said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@OscarSouth said:

It's a very slippery and ambiguous scale, as you describe.

Is a classical performer who's never put two notes together of their own will a musician? We already know that the answer is yes.

In general, music is a very inclusive field, however the DJ thing is a particularly difficult point of definition.

This is a result of the technical age....historically it was the drummer who was on the receiving end of "jokes" about not being musical and 'just hitting things'.