Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

iPad Pro 9.7 headphone jack - still sound... meh?

Just curious if the output quality of the headphone jack is improved at all on the Pro 9.7 over the regular iPad(s). I am just weighing Pro 9.7 vs iPad2017 in general and Pencil just doesn't seem worth the extra 600$ or so extra... but the 256gb does I guess. ANYWAY, just asking about the headphone jack specificly.

Any improvement over an Air1 at all or have these jacks remained unchanged all together?

Comments

• When I was still using an iPad 2 and 4 there was a noticeable increase in bass if I listened via an audio interface compared to the iPad's headphone jack. However with the Air 2 there is very little difference I can hear between listening via the built-in headphone jack and my Scarlett 2i4.

For critical listening (mixing or mastering) it's probably still a good idea to monitor via an interface, but I think that these days the difference between that and the headphone jack are fairly minimal.

• edited April 2017

I don't hear a major difference between direct into the pro 9.7 or my Zoom R8 interface. Both won't drive high end headphones so well, AKG K712 in my case, so I use a Fiio E12 to give me more volume.

• Just get an audio interface if you want good sound. Headphone jack will never get on the same level.

• I had my extensive animal anal cavity impulse responses prepared, are these no longer required for comparison purposes?

• the external stereo speakers are very nice though

• I can't hear any difference in sound quality using a zoom u22 or connecting directly to the headphone jack. The only difference i hear is a difference in output volume. When im using a big headphone (250ohm) im using the sound interface for extra volume boost.

• @ToMess said:
    Just get an audio interface if you want good sound. Headphone jack will never get on the same level.

For sure, I do have a couple audio interfaces and they do sound amazing on my Air1. I just don't want to deal with the bulk/cables when on the train etc.

Glad to hear that it sounds like the jack has improved somewhat!

• @TheVimFuego said:
    I had my extensive animal anal cavity impulse responses prepared, are these no longer required for comparison purposes?

Lol, please do feel free to share these insights though. I am sure out of context that they will be even more profound.

• @AudioGus said:

@TheVimFuego said:
    I had my extensive animal anal cavity impulse responses prepared, are these no longer required for comparison purposes?

Lol, please do feel free to share these insights though. I am sure out of context that they will be even more profound.

I shall archive them, doubtless they will find their place at some point. ;)

My Labrador-cross dog has proved most resilient to sampling.

• So after using the new 2017 iPad for a little while it seems the headphone jack is much improved over the air1. Yay! :)