Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

OT: What electric guitars do you guys play?

I have been playing mostly acoustic guitar for 18 years. I have had a few electric guitars throughout those 18 years but have sold or traded them all away.

I am looking to get another electric guitar and I figured I would see what you guys play and if you had any recommendations for a cheap electric guitar. Possibly $200 or below.

Comments

• I recently picked up an Epiphone Les Paul Special II for about $120 from MF.
    They have Jrs for even less than that.

• I'd say for that price a Yamaha Pacifica would be the best choice;

I play a Washburn btm mini that I bought on eBay for 60 dollars, but I had to put 150 euros of repair to have it in good shape again and I'm absolutely in love

• wimwim
    edited April 2017

Depends a lot on what you're after. Do you want something that cuts through a mix, like a Tele? Or something with a lot of meat on it's bones, like a Les Paul? Or something down the middle like a Strat? What type of music do you play? What were your favorite ones that you sold or traded away?

• I can recommend Squier Strats and Epiphone Les Pauls (which my son has played). I have gone through several electric guitars since I started playing back in the late 60s (Commodore, a couple of cheap Les Paul copies of no particular pedigree) but my acoustic an Eko Ranger VI has stayed with me all the way as have the guitars I bought since the 80s (Squier HMIII Strat, Fender Strat Shawbucker HSS, Gibson Les Paul 50s Tribute and a cheapo Stag bass).

• Here's my 14' SG standard. Love love love it. The couch is Pleather!!

• Sorry I didn't see the price point. I would go for a epi if I had 200$

• If you could stretch a tiny bit more I think I'd be on the lookout for a used Made in Mexico Fender Stratocaster (or Telecaster if you prefer). Squier isn't bad either though.

• Ibanez Universe UV7 (1990) 7-string green dot. Amazing guitar. Have a few others too but that has been my main mistress since 1990.

• Another + for Squier Strats - I had a lovely one in the 80's/90's. I've got a Mexican Strat now, but still miss the old one.

• Vintage Guitarism. Makes me feel like I'm one of you guys. Love the damn thing so much. :)

• From $199 and up, any of the Agile guitars. I have the 2000 and love it.

http://www.rondomusic.com/electricguitar.html

• @wim said:
    Depends a lot on what you're after. Do you want something that cuts through a mix, like a Tele? Or something with a lot of meat on it's bones, like a Les Paul? Or something down the middle like a Strat? What type of music do you play? What were your favorite ones that you sold or traded away?

These are the pertinent questions.

• edited April 2017

I bought a Squier Vintage Modified Strat new for $250. Used dollars will go even farther. I've bought some nicer guitars since then, but that Squier is still a better instrument than I am player.

• edited April 2017

You need to think what sort of music you want to play. sss strat is pretty bad for metal..

I HIGHLY suggest looking for used, you will get a lot better guitar for the same price

• edited April 2017

I once hit a cheapo Walden D351 acoustic guitar (about $100) with great sustain and even tone in the higher fret range. Put on d'Addario Chromes and added a soundhole PU (Artec WSH-12MP)
    That's what it can sound like (I considered this my Telecaster for a long time, until I stumbled over the raw take of the guitar again)
    Guitar processing in JamUp with a Fender model, possibly Tubescreamer emulation and one of the auto-wahs. Reverb is Valhalla Übermod on the PC.

The WSH-12 is a great humbucker, with the advantage that you can adjust each string on each coil separately (2 lines of pole pieces).
    Those flatwound strings may sound a bit muddy in the lower register if picked by finger tips, but have a very special brilliant tone if strummed with a pick.

• Having been through MANY guitars over 20 years you really can't go wrong with a Squier Strat if you're on a budget.

I have stabilised with two ... A magnificently versatile Mexican Strat in sunburst and a much loved Hand-Made-In-England Gordon Smith Graduate Les-Paul-A-Like which weighs a ton, has a stunning book-matched flamed maple finish and sustains like a moneyfunster. Sold my most of my Queen memorabilia back in the day to fund it ... no regrets.

• @sbcfx said:
    Here's my 14' SG standard. Love love love it. The couch is Pleather!!

Nice! The guitar is OK too. ;)

• @JeffChasteen said:
    I recently picked up an Epiphone Les Paul Special II for about $120 from MF.
    They have Jrs for even less than that.

Last summer I bought an Epiphone Les Paul Special P-90 for $99 at Guitar Center. It was worth the money just to have those P-90s growling through some tubes. But another cool thing is the body is mahogany. Definitely a steal for the price.

• @wim I play some rock, classic rock, maybe some harder stuff like Tool and some ambient stuff.

Maybe something with some meat or down the middle. Never been a fan of stats but never played one much though.

I've had a Gibson SG, which I loved. Had to sell it to buy first son a baby bed and stuff. A couple of ibanez's which I didn't like. I had a fender jaguar but never could get the wiring right in it.

• I love my Mexican made Fender Strat. Built like a Tank. My newly aquired Gibson Les Paul is nice too. The Fender is prob. a bit more in your price range.

• @gmslayton said:
    @wim I play some rock, classic rock, maybe some harder stuff like Tool and some ambient stuff.

Maybe something with some meat or down the middle. Never been a fan of stats but never played one much though.

I've had a Gibson SG, which I loved. Had to sell it to buy first son a baby bed and stuff. A couple of ibanez's which I didn't like. I had a fender jaguar but never could get the wiring right in it.

Given the range of styles you're trying to cover, I'd suggest something with a humbucker in the bridge position and a single coil in the neck.

• @lukesleepwalker said:

@gmslayton said:
    @wim I play some rock, classic rock, maybe some harder stuff like Tool and some ambient stuff.

Given the range of styles you're trying to cover, I'd suggest something with a humbucker in the bridge position and a single coil in the neck.

Dual humbuckers with coil-taps might be an option?

• @TheVimFuego said:
    Dual humbuckers with coil-taps might be an option?

Yep, that could work too.

• Check out Rondo music. The Sx and agile stuff is really pretty good. I have 3 sx from a few years back and they all play really nice, stay in tune decent and the pickups don't sound too bad. The electronics are probably the cheapest part but still not bad. I also have an American strat plus, a les Paul studio, an epi, and some others. They do some b stock stuff too with good discounts.

• I'd go for an HSH so you can get the "in-between" strat sounds. A stock Tele can rock pretty well, too. They're somehow ballsier than Strats in my experience and they have a snappy attack that is very distinct. I miss my Tele...

• @gmslayton said:

If you loved that Gibson SG, an Epiphone SG might be the next best thing. If you're in the US, Sweetwater is selling Epiphone SG Specials for $179 and the financing on the other SG models looks fairly reasonable. I picked up an Epiphone ES335 Pro a couple of years ago and after a good setup, it plays beautifully. I love it. Best of luck with the quest. Please let us know what you decide.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/search.php?s=Epiphone+sg

• Seconding the Squiers - lots of good, inexpensive options. I had a Vintage Modified Thinline Tele for a while that was great (a bit more than $200 if I recall, but still reasonable for the quality)

• Squier strat

• I'm Canadian and therefore appreciate Godin guitars, spectacular quality at amazing prices; dirt cheap used and I would argue they best Asian guitars for price / performance.