Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Gestrument Updated

Universal now. Many new presets. Improvements and more.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/gestrument/id576235482?mt=8

Comments

• Having upgraded, I was initially perturbed that Gestrument had gone silent on me! Then I discovered that JACK (which I have on my iPad but don't use much) had been automatically loaded when I launched Gestrument. When I killed JACK from RAM, I got audio back. JACK wasn't auto-loaded subsequently, which is good.

Just mentioned in case others are also experiencing a moment of panic, post-upgrade ;)

• Are you sure you didn't have JACK lying idle in memory already? As far as I know there's no auto-launch of it.

• edited August 2013

This update is amazing. New presets and much improved sound. Great work @Jesper and Jonatan.

• I just launched Gestrument, and it auto-launched Jack on me too. It wasn't in memory prior to launching Gestrument. It was strange because I just saw the splash screen for Jack, but it didn't seem to fully open in, since I didn't see it in the dock. I didn't have audio in Gestrument though. After quiting Gestrument and relaunching, I didn't see it again and had audio.

• No worries @Flo26.

I am liking the presets in Gestrument!

• Same thing happened to me as with Washboy. Gestrument starts up, Jack starts up, no sound. I'm sure Jack wasn't running beforehand. I had to restart Gestrument too to get sound; it did not launch Jack this time. Maybe it's a Jack thing? No big deal anyway.
    Thanks for the update!

• Yea If you have Jack installed the update will auto launch it (even if it's not in the taskbar), just kill Jack from the taskbar after it's been launched and everything should work as normally again. Some other app did the same, auto launched Jack, I while back but can't remember which app that was. Anyway, great to have this on the iPhone. It works really well on that small screen too. :)

• Sorry to hear about the jack auto-launch, that's awful. It never happened on any of our devices.

• Not really a problem, only happens once (but it is weird though, especially if it's not intended by the dev).

The velocity "ring", didn't that change the volume in "real-time" before the update? Now when you use another finger to change the volume/velocity, the changes only take effect on the next note input, and not immediately/dynamically like it used to. Maybe I'm missing something tho?

Also noticed you guys released an LE version for the iPhone, I definitely recommend it to anyone if you haven't tried Gestrument before. It's only $0.99 right now which is a bargain even if it misses the ability to make your own presets.

• @ChrisG: No, it was definitely not intended.
    The velocity control has not changed, it affects the velocity of notes, which means you'll only hear the change at note start boundaries.

• edited August 2013

@j_liljedahl You're absolutely right about the velocity thing, it's me being senile or something, sorry. :)

A "live" dynamics control would be a nice feature tho. As an example...Doing a static chord with a few strings starting with a low volume, and changing the volume/dynamics up with perhaps the angle gesture as an option in addition to the other 4 parameters you can assign to it. It would make the playing more dynamic especially with orchestral sounds. Anyway, it's just a thought for a future/feature request.

Thanks again for an awesome update, Nordin & Kymatica. :)

Edit: Talking about volume, the overall volume output from my iPhone 5 using Gestrument (full version) is very low. Velocity at max, and the output gain on the internal synth at max, and the iPhone master volume of course. Is it possible to make it a bit louder in a future update? I appreciate it won't damage my iPhone speaker as is now (unlike some other apps), but it really is a bit too low. I don't have the LE version so can't compare (it sounds louder in the promo video tho).

• Thanks for the feedback @ChrisG. Yes, such a dynamic mode (controlling volume CC instead of velocity) would be cool, we'll think some more about that!

Indeed, there's a problem with the speaker assignment in the current iPhone versions, the 1.3.1 update has already been submitted to app store :)

• Cool, thanks!

• Very nice update, thanks for evolving. The extra presets are great, especially the wrench presets. I always knew it was possible to coerce the app to make different forms of music but now I can experiment more through the learning of these extra presets.

Good luck to your future.

• @Jonatan When trying to upload presets to the website, the choose file only leads to photos and camera.

• @Flo26: Thanks, that's great :)

@mgmg4871: Yeah, unfortunately iOS sandboxes every app (that's the reason I made AudioShare), so the web browser can't access files from other apps. The only shared files are photos and videos. For now, you'll need to transfer the preset to a desktop computer and upload it from there, but we're working on a better solution!

• Yup I just tried it and it launched Jack

• Regarding the presets, you can now upload presets to our website simply be emailing them to [email protected], which can be done from within the app itself. No computer needed. Jesper will add any contributed presets to the site as soon as he can.

• edited March 2014

• @Simon: Haha, no Jesper Nordin is very much a human. The man behind the ideas and concepts of Gestrument.

• edited September 2013

Nordin is a sucker for contemporary orchestral stuff (AKA 24 people playing random notes......Yes it is!).

And I just suck at making presets with this, so please upload some more mellow(dramatic) melody things...Yep that made sense I hope.. :) Naw all jokes aside, I think it's Nordin that got that piano improv preset? Really like that one, more things like that. And some more mellow melodic/cinematic string presets would be awesome. Drums also, Gestruments rocks as a percussion improv player...thing.

• edited March 2014

• Ok, new update out now! We removed JACK, so no more auto-launching.

• Did you remove it temporarily until you get it sorted or is Jack gone for good?

• If there is a high user demand we might consider trying to add it back, but as far as we know there are very few of our users actually using jack.

• edited September 2013

Okay, I haven't been using it either, but probably because there aren't many apps supporting it yet... I do like the concept, though. Having all the audio and midi routing combined in one place is a great idea.

• mmpmmp
    edited September 2013

He's hit the road....