Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

What new AB3 MIDI Effect Apps do you want?

The ability to have MIDI effect apps that you can use in multiple instances in Audiobus 3 combined with the ability to save their states allows for the creation of complex MIDI chains that can be easily recalled.

What MIDI effect apps would you like to see developed?

I'd like a 16 pad MIDI app that allows you to map the controls to a MIDI hardware pad controller and to send the MIDI to various apps that have a 16 pad configuration. It'd be nice to be able to save presets that have the mappings for pads in these apps. The app would also be very useful if it could allow you to setup choke groups so that even synths with percussive sounds could be controlled. It'd be nice to configure the velocity and other MIDI messages sent out by the MIDI effect app on a per pad basis so the pads would act as mini XY pads if you wanted to configure them that way. Even better, in each pad configuration you could add another MIDI effect app so you could do such things as add some random velocity to a pad. An option to quantize the output on a per pad basis would also be good.

Comments

• :p Excuse me quoting myself from a while ago.
    I think quite a few people would like this sort of MIDI effect filter.

@iamspoon said:
    Hey,

I'm trying to recreate a MIDI setup from my desktop system on iOS in which each successive incoming MIDI note is sent out to the next MIDI channel in a series.
    (in the example here, each note gets sent to chs 1-8 on a repeating cycle)
    I have tried several Apps without much success, so I was hoping someone here might know of a solution :)

Does Anyone know of an App capable of this or similar MIDI processing?
    (TC Data? Jasuto? Audulus? etc etc)

incomplete list of fails so far : Soundprism with MIDI in. (admittedly a longshot)
    Lemur. (lack of skills probably)
    TB MIDI Stuff.
    StepPolyArp (close but not quite)

Cheers.

• A simple note mapper where you can map each incoming note to the outgoing note of your choosing.
    • Timing effects such as quantize, humanize and swing. Basically the midi FX from Auria Pro.
  • Basically multi step poly arps

• An "output" app to control external synths, FX boxes, etc, where you can choose the port and midi channel.

• edited April 2017

@HandOfEmpty As I understand it if you click the little 'i' icon you can already set the MIDI channel of each output lane for any MIDI interfaces/ports connected to your device.

(I don't have AB3 yet, waiting on an iOS 10 compatibility update for a different App :'( )

• Remapping CCs, map Notes to CC (velocity to CC value), block/remap channels..

I also wonder if it would be possible to get a "Link to Midi" type of app on the bus, with state saving

• Sorry to repeat myself from another thread, but the new player devices in Reason are great, not least in various combinations:
    https://www.propellerheads.se/en/reason/instruments/player-devices
    Most serious desktop DAWs have a nice collection of MIDI effects, many of which are very usefull. Strangely, none of these seem to have found way into IOS DAWs, afaik.
    Here's hoping that some clever dev out there would be inspired by these.

• @gonekrazy3000 said:
    Basically multi step poly arps

Yup, this or multi instance step sequencers in another form

• edited April 2017

@NoonienS said:
    Remapping CCs, map Notes to CC (velocity to CC value), block/remap channels..

I also wonder if it would be possible to get a "Link to Midi" type of app on the bus, with state saving

+1 It would be great to be able to generate a reliable Link clock from an external MIDI source natively within AB.

Also I would add MIDI Notes to CC. (Note number to CC preferably with scaling of ranges so you could output the 128 values over a certain key range)

Another nice thing to have would be something like CCstepper (http://codefn42.com)

8 channels of CC control with variable speeds/lengths/directions. Kind of like a control change version of Fugue Machine. In fact, with a MIDI note to CC transformer you could even use Fugue machine for something a bit like this too : )

• MIDI Delay might be cool ... with a velocity curve controlling the repeats, etc.

• Cableguys Midi Shaper, Xfer Cthulhu, of course all of Logic´s Midi FX like Midi repeater, modifier etc.
    A midi cc blender like Omnisphere f.e. offer. You can set a curve and can control via modwheel or any other midi cc message the crossblend beetween different midi channels and/or patches.

• I would LOVE to see something like StepPolyArp for the iPhone. I could control it from the Midi input and this effect would arp it. :smile: Likewise, a piano roll sequencer for iPhone would be great! :-)

• Xynthesizer as a midi effect (middle slot)!! I could control it with Midiflow Keyboard (input slot), and output the sound to any synthesizer I please in the ouput slot!! Genius!!!!! We need to get the developer to do this for us!!!

• @jn2002dk said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:
    Basically multi step poly arps

Yup, this or multi instance step sequencers in another form

Ugh-hugh. Yeup. I've tried various configurations for months to have the ability to sequence 3 or 4 different ios synths from the same screen.

• edited April 2017

What @iamspoon said x 100. Like Polymerapp for the desktop. I know @Dchild is in the gang.

• @syrupcore said:
    What @iamspoon said x 100. Like Polymerapp for the desktop. I know @Dchild is in the gang.

Yep... round robin channel rotation. Let's say you have a looped midi sequence with one note C. Each time the note triggers it goes to a different Device.

• @Cib said:
    Cableguys Midi Shaper, Xfer Cthulhu, of course all of Logic´s Midi FX like Midi repeater, modifier etc.
    A midi cc blender like Omnisphere f.e. offer. You can set a curve and can control via modwheel or any other midi cc message the crossblend beetween different midi channels and/or patches.

+++1

• The original Fruity Loops

• What I would like to see is a re-mapper for controllers that can be configured from app/device templates so you can create a mapping for your controller based on your current session with a minimum of digging around for controller assignments (assuming a templates exist).

Essentially, it would be like ModStep's Template Editor but instead of being driven by ModStep's sequencer, it is driven by the external controller. In fact this might be a good idea for AppBC to make - especially if it could pull the templates from ModStep.

First you would create a controller template for your controller that defined all of the knobs, faders, buttons, XY pad, etc. it had.

Then you would create mapping templates for each app for everything you would possibly want to control (if this was coming from AppBC, there would be a lot to work with already).

Then, for each session, you would drag over the specific controller mappings from the app/device templates to the controller template, just like in ModSteps Template Editor.

This way you could configure your controller for each session simply, without having to dive into each app to see what controller is assigned to a particular control and then converting your hardware controller’s output to the app’s controller.

Bonus points if these saved mappings could be selected from program changes, or notes, so you could reconfigure the assignments on the fly.

One other thing: it should be able to handle aftertouch, both channel and key pressure. There are a lot of keyboards that output aftertouch, but many apps, even well appointed ones, can’t handle aftertouch. Being able to re-route that to a CC would be very useful.

@Nerk_ @cblomert want to take this on?

• Johannes Doerr's current effects/filters look promising already:

-velocity remap
    -scale based note remap
    -randomizer/humanizer
    -keyboard splitter

There's some discussion of midi effects here, a bunch of interesting ones described in midisequencer:

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/comment/175145/

Of particular interest are

The echoes - repeating midi notes with decreasing velocity. Could also be used as a simple beat repeat, like on the mpc.

Velocity switch - switch midi channels by velocity, so you control one synth when you play soft, but a different one when you play hard.

Ostinato-intelligent harmony note in a scale you pick.

There are a couple interesting MIDI effects in Thesys as well:

Looper - loop a certain number of beats.

Velocity Gate - silence midi notes below a threshold you control.

Slow down - caches what is coming in and plays back the midi at a progressively slower pace.

• @Dchild said:

@syrupcore said:

Yep... round robin channel rotation. Let's say you have a looped midi sequence with one note C. Each time the note triggers it goes to a different Device.

Since MPE does this kind of thing, couldn't ThumbJam or other MPE app do this?

• I'd like to see Lemur updated with AB3 comptibilty which would enable using it in the input and effect slot and Link support.

• edited April 2017
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @Carnbot yes! Lemur support would be huge.
    could midi effects communicate with each other? a midi velocity version of a side chain compressor for example.

• edited April 2017

@aplourde said:
    What I would like to see is a re-mapper for controllers that can be configured from app/device templates so you can create a mapping for your controller based on your current session with a minimum of digging around for controller assignments (assuming a templates exist).

Essentially, it would be like ModStep's Template Editor but instead of being driven by ModStep's sequencer, it is driven by the external controller. In fact this might be a good idea for AppBC to make - especially if it could pull the templates from ModStep.

First you would create a controller template for your controller that defined all of the knobs, faders, buttons, XY pad, etc. it had.

Then you would create mapping templates for each app for everything you would possibly want to control (if this was coming from AppBC, there would be a lot to work with already).

Then, for each session, you would drag over the specific controller mappings from the app/device templates to the controller template, just like in ModSteps Template Editor.

This way you could configure your controller for each session simply, without having to dive into each app to see what controller is assigned to a particular control and then converting your hardware controller’s output to the app’s controller.

Bonus points if these saved mappings could be selected from program changes, or notes, so you could reconfigure the assignments on the fly.

Yes , but you forgot to specify inclusion of MidiPickup ( aka Takeover) , so the software remembers external knob values , so when knobs are used for controlling different function then switched back there are no Value jumps .
    I wrote to MidiFlow dev a while ago about this , requesting MidiPickup be added to MidiFlow Remap options , with a view to building external controller templates that would have MidiPickup retrofitted as intermediary firmware .

He said he was busy with AB3 at time but had thought about adding this in future , & it could be be useful as AB3 midi app .

• A simple chorus/arp with delay envelope would be handy for humanizing chords or creating layered polyrhythms.

• That made me think about a "strum" filter, with options for repeats, strum speed, velocity curve, and strum direction. Play a chord and the filter strums it.

• @wim said:
    That made me think about a "strum" filter, with options for repeats, strum speed, velocity curve, and strum direction. Play a chord and the filter strums it.

Handy, +1 for that.

• @wim said:
    That made me think about a "strum" filter, with options for repeats, strum speed, velocity curve, and strum direction. Play a chord and the filter strums it.

That would be fun.

• @Wally said:

@aplourde said:
    What I would like to see is a re-mapper for controllers that can be configured from app/device templates so you can create a mapping for your controller based on your current session with a minimum of digging around for controller assignments (assuming a templates exist).

Yes , but you forgot to specify inclusion of MidiPickup ( aka Takeover) , so the software remembers external knob values , so when knobs are used for controlling different function then switched back there are no Value jumps .
    I wrote to MidiFlow dev a while ago about this , requesting MidiPickup be added to MidiFlow Remap options , with a view to building external controller templates that would have MidiPickup retrofitted as intermediary firmware .

He said he was busy with AB3 at time but had thought about adding this in future , & it could be be useful as AB3 midi app .

Yes MidiPickup would be a great thing to have as a plug in. I really hate those jumps in levels you get when you start to adjust the physical knobs but they don't match the virtual ones.