Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Korg Gadget -> Ableton Live Workflow

Hi!

Just wanted to ask, if someone of you checked already this workflow?
Does it work as described here on this page:
http://www.korg.com/us/products/software/korg_gadget/for_mac.php

"Among the numerous export functions provided by KORG Gadget, special mention goes to the high degree of interoperability with Ableton Live. You can export data as a project file specifically for Ableton Live, so that each of KORG Gadget's tracks can be loaded into the appropriate tracks and scenes of Live. Data can be exported not only in audio file format as before, but now also in a MIDI file format that includes the sound settings of each gadget. Unification via the plug-in collection means that your KORG Gadget sequences will be perfectly reproduced in Live. By seamlessly transitioning between production environments, you can shape your ideas into a finished composition."

Thanks for the feedback!

Comments

• edited April 2017

Korg will export either Audio or Midi to Ableton Live. I love exporting my Korg scene as Midi, because all of the plug-ins (instruments) and scenes open up in Live and I can get to tweaking and adding all my various Effects to the track.

I really love starting songs in Gadget on iOS, tweak a little on macOS and then finish in Ableton Live.

So, in a nutshell, it works as advertise.

• Hey, thanks a lot! Then I have to buy it :p
    How about the automated parameters - if you have some in your Korg Gadget project... will they also be transferred to Ableton Live?

• Yep. Any automation you perform on the instrument is carried over when you export the file as VST to Ableton Live. The only thing which won't carry over are the Track iFX items...those are specific to Gadget....so do your Reverb, Compressor, Filter, etc in Live.

• This is going to be my way of working is by sketching a song on Korg Gadget on either my iPhone 6S Plus or iPad Pro and exporting to Ableton Live 9 on my MacBook Pro. I recently purchased the suite version of Ableton Live and it is awesome.

• One thing to mention is if you have used one of the new audio gadgets - Zurich or Rosario - then the audio is exported post FX to a Live audio track. So make sure you're happy with the effects settings before you export as you won't be able to change later.

• @acidalex said:
    One thing to mention is if you have used one of the new audio gadgets - Zurich or Rosario - then the audio is exported post FX to a Live audio track. So make sure you're happy with the effects settings before you export as you won't be able to change later.

Oh yeah, there is that issue. And Milpitas is currently missing on macOS.

• edited April 2017

@echoopera said:

@acidalex said:
    One thing to mention is if you have used one of the new audio gadgets - Zurich or Rosario - then the audio is exported post FX to a Live audio track. So make sure you're happy with the effects settings before you export as you won't be able to change later.

And also the VST's for bilbo & abudabi do not see the icloud drive folder for audiofiles so do not sync or even import the samples used with the Ableton export process, you have to manually import them (one by one!) or copy all to the gadgets default audio folder which is in the mac's music folder under korg gadget. Warning this causes the files to sync back to the icloud drive folder the other way and double up all your samples when you open these 2 gadgets up on the desktop version :(

If anyone has a solution please hook a brother up :)

• @DaveMagoo said:

@echoopera said:

@acidalex said:

And also the VST's for bilbo & abudabi do not see the icloud drive folder for audiofiles so do not sync or even import the samples used with the Ableton export process, you have to manually import them (one by one!) or copy all to the gadgets default audio folder which is in the mac's music folder under korg gadget. Warning this causes the files to sync back to the icloud drive folder the other way and double up all your samples when you open these 2 gadgets up on the desktop version :(

Have you reported this to KORG support?

• @acidalex said:

@DaveMagoo said:

@echoopera said:

@acidalex said:

Yes, no response as yet

• @DaveMagoo said:

@acidalex said:

@DaveMagoo said:

@echoopera said:

@acidalex said:

Yes, no response as yet

Response from Korg:

Hello

We are currently considering synchronizing the user's sample in AbuDhabi/BilBao.
    We are sorry for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience.

Best regards,
    KORG app dev team

• I was able to use bindfs on Mac to link the Gadget iCloud folder with the local User Sample folder, such that projects from iOS to Mac retain the samples. Still working to get it going in Ableton -the same shows in the User Folder but doesn't automatically load...working on it!

• edited February 2021

I got it working!

Okay so the root of the problem is the iOS app has a concept of Factory/Local/iCloud. The Mac/VST has Factory/Local. Saving an iOS project or exporting a project to Ableton that uses samples from the iCloud tab doesn't work...but if your sample is in Local (say you copy from iCloud to local on iOS), if the same sample is located in Users//Music/Korg Gadget/User Samples, it works perfectly....

Okay - so the key is to get your samples from iOS automatically synced to your Mac's local User Samples folder. There are a few ways to do this, but the most seamless is using bindfs.

With bindfs (https://bindfs.org/) I just map my iCloud/Korg Gadget/User Samples folder to my Users /Music/Korg Gadget/User Samples folder. Now in the iOS app - if I import a new sample (using the files app), I import it to the "Local" folder AND I use the convenient "Copy" function in Gadget to copy to my iCloud location. Then when I export my file to Ableton (as a VST or AU version) OR save to open the Gadget file on Desktop Gadget, it works perfectly!

Another easier way is to store your samples in the User Sample folder in iCloud - then when you use them in iOS Gadget, first copy them to the "Local" folder so your iOS Gadget reference is to Local. Now whenever you load the file - either on Mac or exported to Ableton to use the VSTs, it will read the Sample from the Local folder....and since we bound our Local Mac User Samples folder to iCloud, everything works.

• Brilliant tips, thanks for sharing!