Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

A BIT PISSED OFF

Comments

• @addhead said:

@Sebastian said:
    We never went live with live device to device wifi audio because it only worked in ideal surroundings. As soon as you're in a city with 10 Wifi networks in range the whole thing is just terrible.

We would have loved to offer wifi but in the end we didn't do it because we wanted to protect our users from frustration. Kind of odd that you're coming up with this now, more than 4 years after we talked about it last.

I'm sinking this thread.

Why do i hear it now and not then??
    That discussion was never closed And in that time you talked about internet, and i was talking about
    Internal network.
    Thats different i think.

But if it dont work it dont work.

Thanks for the comment, you can close it now.

Maybe it's possible now?
    We are 4 years furder

• edited April 2017

@addhead said:

@addhead said:

@Sebastian said:
    We never went live with live device to device wifi audio because it only worked in ideal surroundings. As soon as you're in a city with 10 Wifi networks in range the whole thing is just terrible.

We would have loved to offer wifi but in the end we didn't do it because we wanted to protect our users from frustration. Kind of odd that you're coming up with this now, more than 4 years after we talked about it last.

I'm sinking this thread.

That discussion was never closed And in that time you talked about internet, and i was talking about
    Internal network.
    Thats different i think.

Maybe it's possible now?
    We are 4 years furder

Nope, nothing significant has changed. Bluetooth won't do it either. Live, reliable, lossless, low latency audio is just next to impossible to transmit in a real world scenario. If you don't believe me, try to find any company who offers a product that does this.

• edited April 2017

I tried typing French but only speak English and came up with this.
    :;)$$)-,!4:: fg67--$ &@::;4! Ay?

• @Sebastian said:

@addhead said:

@addhead said:

@Sebastian said:

I'm sinking this thread.

Internal network.
    Thats different i think.

Maybe it's possible now?
    We are 4 years furder

Nope, nothing significant has changed. Bluetooth won't do it either. Live, reliable, lossless, low latency audio is just next to impossible to transmit in a real world scenario. If you don't believe me, try to find any company who offers a product that does this.

Maybe wired?
    Computer in between

Like musicIO

• @Tritonman said:

Great

• @Tritonman said:

O how rude! lol especially the !4:: ;)

• edited April 2017

After much practice, I came up with this. Montreal Canadiens. Let's go Habs!

• (dutch) afijn als we zo beginnen dan kap ik er mee,
    Genoeg gezeverd hier, Tijd om weer productief te worden dames,

Jullie weten weer genoeg om verder te kunnen,
    Doe er je voordeel mee,
    Gegroet.

• edited April 2017

Anyway, on to more productive things.

• @addhead said:

@Sebastian said:

@addhead said:

@addhead said:

@Sebastian said:

I'm sinking this thread.

Internal network.
    Thats different i think.

Maybe it's possible now?
    We are 4 years furder

Maybe wired?
    Computer in between

Like musicIO

you can do this already..
    connect the headphone out of iDevice A into a small usb audio interface that you then connect to iDevice B
    voilà you can stream audio from iDevice A into iDevice B, Jakob Haq does this all the time. Right @jakoB_haQ ?

• edited April 2017

@Fruitbat1919 said:

@OscarSouth said:
    I just lost my belief in freedom of speech.

I commented on this in another thread, believing in the freedom of speech, but I did put in a caveat for if done in an informative and respectful manner. I think this somehow crosses that line :p

I look at it this way - he has the right to complain, no matter how silly that complaint is but consequently we have the right to call him out on it and mock him

• @jn2002dk said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

@OscarSouth said:
    I just lost my belief in freedom of speech.

I commented on this in another thread, believing in the freedom of speech, but I did put in a caveat for if done in an informative and respectful manner. I think this somehow crosses that line :p

I look at it this way - he has the right to complain, no matter how utterly ignorant that complaint is but consequently we have the right to call him out on it and mock him

Lol yeah. I've always found freedom of speech a two edged sword. On the one side I am all for it, but I can see that there has to be some lines drawn to what people can say that becomes a near permanent address to many. Total freedom to write anything anywhere is really pretty dangerous, as is the opposite. (Shrugs) no real answer to that dilemma.

• @o_imseng said:

@addhead said:

@Sebastian said:

@addhead said:

@addhead said:

@Sebastian said:

I'm sinking this thread.

Internal network.
    Thats different i think.

Maybe it's possible now?
    We are 4 years furder

Maybe wired?
    Computer in between

Like musicIO

connect the headphone out of iDevice A into a small usb audio interface that you then connect to iDevice B
    voilà you can stream audio from iDevice A into iDevice B, Jakob Haq does this all the time. Right @jakoB_haQ ?

Musicio do it digital and with separated channels

• @addhead said:

@o_imseng said:

@addhead said:

@Sebastian said:

@addhead said:

@addhead said:

@Sebastian said:

I'm sinking this thread.

Internal network.
    Thats different i think.

Maybe it's possible now?
    We are 4 years furder

Maybe wired?
    Computer in between

Like musicIO

Only iDevice to Mac yes.

• This is an article from 2012

Read it careful and you can understand me!!!!!!

From sound on sound

http://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/audiobus

You are here

Home
    Techniques

Audiobus
    Apple Notes

Hardware > Computer

Published July 2012
    By Mike Watkinson

Virtual app-to-app connectivity with Audiobus (top right): SoundPrism Pro and Loopy HD are the first two apps to adopt the Audiobus protocol. Here, SoundPrism Pro has been selected as the input and Loopy HD as the output.
    Virtual app-to-app connectivity with Audiobus (top right): SoundPrism Pro and Loopy HD are the first two apps to adopt the Audiobus protocol. Here, SoundPrism Pro has been selected as the input and Loopy HD as the output.
    Audiobus
    Audiobus

The future is here! Or at least some of it. In beta. You know how keen we are here at Apple Notes HQ to let you know what's in the pipeline? Well, this month it's all about pipelines! The potentials created by Apple's hardware and software developments are being realised to the benefit of musicians, and all that thinking is being, literally, joined up.
    Separation Anxiety

With iOS apps being self-contained and iPads and iPhones being designed to be personal devices, the idea so far has been that you work one app at a time, and you work on your own. You can switch between apps, but getting apps to talk to each other, though possible, is frustrating. Some efforts to make apps talk to each other have been made, but virtual MIDI has been implemented differently from one app to another, and I think these problems undermine the convenience of an app and why we use them in the first place!

I have reported previously on Sonoma Wireworks, who created a protocol that implements the clipboard in apps like StudioTrack, and AudioCopy and AudioPaste has been implemented in a wide range of apps, but copying and pasting from one app to another relies on the two projects being at exactly the same tempo. Whatever any iPad advocate tells you about creating new ideas when you're forced to work in different ways to those that you prefer, these problems can certainly hinder your workflow.
    Get On Board

So what if you could just connect one app to another with a virtual cable? This idea's been around for quite a while on the Mac with Cycling '74's SoundFlower, but now the clever chaps at www.audiob.us have come up with an iOS equivalent which they call — yes — Audiobus. In the beta stage at the time of writing, the protocol requires apps to be Audiobus compliant, and at this point there are only two apps that fit the bill: Loopy HD by A Tasty Pixel and SoundPrism Pro by Audanika. Both apps are already established as favourites with iOS musicians, and are shining examples of how a touchscreen interface can be exploited to make music in intriguing and inspiring ways. But there are most definitely more in the pipeline. Audiobus is itself an app that allows you to choose an app as the input, passing live audio from that app to an app chosen as the output. **_Apps can be on the same device or different devices and Audiobus itself can be on any device, as long as they are all in the same Wi-Fi network. When I saw this working for the first time, I was impressed by how easy it was to set up, but it is the flexibility that gives rise to a multitude of possible collaborative opportunities._**

Choosing SoundPrism Pro as the input and Loopy HD as the output in Audiobus, I was able to record the live audio output of the former into the latter, with the apps running on the same device as well as on different devices. Impressively, audio is captured in perfect sync, as Audiobus has a clever buffering system that passes the time-stamped audio to the output app in sync, whatever fluctuations take place in the wireless bandwidth. All apps running on any devices in the network are currently recognised, so I can imagine some confusion when multiple devices are being deployed, but if an appropriate interface is designed to cope with this, that issue could be resolved.
    En Route

There is already provision for the user to insert an app in the signal path to perform filtering or other such manipulation in real time. The possibilities for live performance and capture of that performance are limitless, but, like all good protocols, its success will be driven by how many developers come on board and add Audiobus compatibility to their apps. Ideally, the big boys will also want a slice of the action: just imagine GarageBand for iOS capturing live output from your favourite synth apps. Finally, the iPad band looks like a reality!

• @o_imseng said:

@addhead said:

@o_imseng said:

@addhead said:

@Sebastian said:

@addhead said:

@addhead said:

@Sebastian said:

I'm sinking this thread.

Internal network.
    Thats different i think.

Maybe it's possible now?
    We are 4 years furder

Maybe wired?
    Computer in between

Like musicIO

Only iDevice to Mac yes.

Thats nice, i work with a Mac

• You're ridiculous. There's a chasm between having an idea and implementing it in a functional app. Please devs, keep stealing my ideaz.

• You just need an iConnectaudio 4 and you can route audio from one idevice to another.

Apollo Remote recorder and Apollo sound injector can route audio wirelessly but yeah, latency so not good for music production.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@Max23 said:

I quote this (long-windedly, in person, with acting out etc etc) at least once a week.....brilliant and so needed in life generally (and that was true before the internet's invention...)

With me it is the scene in Sleeper where he is pushing the Volkswagen Beetle over the cliff -
    "HEY, DON'T BOTHER TO HELP.
    IT'S A LIGHT CAR."

• @ksound said:
    You're ridiculous. There's a chasm between having an idea and implementing it in a functional app. Please devs, keep stealing my ideaz.

It was advertised by Audiobus, I only asked in 2013 When it's getting implemented.

Yeah i am a ridiculous (hufter) "dutch word"

• @Carnbot said:
    You just need an iConnectaudio 4 and you can route audio from one idevice to another.

Apollo Remote recorder and Apollo sound injector can route audio wirelessly but yeah, latency so not good for music production.

Thanks, Yeah i use the iconnect 4 for a while now, nice soundcard High quality,
    I have understand that the midi version is doing the same, but no audio out and in.
    only digital between the connected devices.

I wil look for the apollo app and maybe it works for me
    Thanks in advance Carnbot

• @addhead

Maak je nou niet zo druk. Als je nou voor iedere update opnieuw moet betalen is het een heel ander verhaal, maar om de paar jaar voor een compleet vernieuwde versie is niks mis mee.

• @Proto said:
    @addhead

Maak je nou niet zo druk. Als je nou voor iedere update opnieuw moet betalen is het een heel ander verhaal, maar om de paar jaar voor een compleet vernieuwde versie is niks mis mee.

?

• @Proto said:
    @addhead

Haha, Ja klopt wel, maar er zijn al vaker updates geweest voor audiobus 2,
    En dan zou ik zeggen, de mensen die het al hebben krijgen reductie.

Maar ja, dat is mijn autisme denk ik. :)

• edited April 2017

@addhead said:
    I belive its my autistic way of thinking i gus

Yes. But put those good ideas to use. I have tons of great ideas too but couldn't code to save my life, so the person that can implement it should get paid. @DerekBuddemeyer took his ideas, linked up with a programmer, and made an app that seems killer (sorry, I still didn't buy it! I mostly record live gigs now so it's not in my needs at the moment, but someday). Unless Derek learned to code (I could be wrong!) he brought in a musician / songwriter point of view and the developer made it work. Good system.

Audiobus changed ios forever, I remember the day it first came out, seems like a long time ago but it wasn't.

For what it's worth, this is posted by someone who could have the same username as you, so I have some understanding of how you came up with your perspective. I have had to work hard (and still do) to cool down before I post things. That's why you can't find me on any social media anymore.

• edited April 2017

@mannix said:

@Proto said:
    @addhead

?

It means: Dont worry so much (short version).

• @mrufino1 said:

@addhead said:
    I belive its my autistic way of thinking i gus

Yes. But put those good ideas to use. I have tons of great ideas too but couldn't code to save my life, so the person that can implement it should get paid. @DerekBuddemeyer took his ideas, linked up with a programmer, and made an app that seems killer (sorry, I still didn't buy it! I mostly record live gigs now so it's not in my needs at the moment, but someday). Unless Derek learned to code (I could be wrong!) he brought in a musician / songwriter point of view and the developer made it work. Good system.

Audiobus changed ios forever, I remember the day it first came out, seems like a long time ago but it wasn't.

Youre right,
    and Carnbot came out with a solution i wil try.

• @addhead said:
    This is an article from 2012

From sound on sound

You are here

Home
    Techniques

Audiobus
    Apple Notes

Hardware > Computer

Published July 2012
    By Mike Watkinson

Audiobus
    Audiobus

The future is here! Or at least some of it. In beta. You know how keen we are here at Apple Notes HQ to let you know what's in the pipeline? Well, this month it's all about pipelines! The potentials created by Apple's hardware and software developments are being realised to the benefit of musicians, and all that thinking is being, literally, joined up.
    Separation Anxiety

With iOS apps being self-contained and iPads and iPhones being designed to be personal devices, the idea so far has been that you work one app at a time, and you work on your own. You can switch between apps, but getting apps to talk to each other, though possible, is frustrating. Some efforts to make apps talk to each other have been made, but virtual MIDI has been implemented differently from one app to another, and I think these problems undermine the convenience of an app and why we use them in the first place!

I have reported previously on Sonoma Wireworks, who created a protocol that implements the clipboard in apps like StudioTrack, and AudioCopy and AudioPaste has been implemented in a wide range of apps, but copying and pasting from one app to another relies on the two projects being at exactly the same tempo. Whatever any iPad advocate tells you about creating new ideas when you're forced to work in different ways to those that you prefer, these problems can certainly hinder your workflow.
    Get On Board

So what if you could just connect one app to another with a virtual cable? This idea's been around for quite a while on the Mac with Cycling '74's SoundFlower, but now the clever chaps at www.audiob.us have come up with an iOS equivalent which they call — yes — Audiobus. In the beta stage at the time of writing, the protocol requires apps to be Audiobus compliant, and at this point there are only two apps that fit the bill: Loopy HD by A Tasty Pixel and SoundPrism Pro by Audanika. Both apps are already established as favourites with iOS musicians, and are shining examples of how a touchscreen interface can be exploited to make music in intriguing and inspiring ways. But there are most definitely more in the pipeline. Audiobus is itself an app that allows you to choose an app as the input, passing live audio from that app to an app chosen as the output. **_Apps can be on the same device or different devices and Audiobus itself can be on any device, as long as they are all in the same Wi-Fi network. When I saw this working for the first time, I was impressed by how easy it was to set up, but it is the flexibility that gives rise to a multitude of possible collaborative opportunities._**

Choosing SoundPrism Pro as the input and Loopy HD as the output in Audiobus, I was able to record the live audio output of the former into the latter, with the apps running on the same device as well as on different devices. Impressively, audio is captured in perfect sync, as Audiobus has a clever buffering system that passes the time-stamped audio to the output app in sync, whatever fluctuations take place in the wireless bandwidth. All apps running on any devices in the network are currently recognised, so I can imagine some confusion when multiple devices are being deployed, but if an appropriate interface is designed to cope with this, that issue could be resolved.
    En Route

There is already provision for the user to insert an app in the signal path to perform filtering or other such manipulation in real time. The possibilities for live performance and capture of that performance are limitless, but, like all good protocols, its success will be driven by how many developers come on board and add Audiobus compatibility to their apps. Ideally, the big boys will also want a slice of the action: just imagine GarageBand for iOS capturing live output from your favourite synth apps. Finally, the iPad band looks like a reality!

From this we can easily see:
    1. It was an idea once, but that it had some issues as shown in the posted piece from Sound on Sound.
    2. There are no promises or statements here that promise it would get resolved from the Audiobus team.

You have an explanation of why it was not continued with by the Audiobus team, which to my mind seems fair and reasonable, as if you want Audio from one device to another, there is much better wired options.

So from this I can see that in 2013 you get an idea that this app may do something that it later does not do. Did you actually use that feature when it was first in use? If not, you have not lost anything, as the app does not pretend to have that feature now.

Then, we do have to question, why seriously are you complaining about a feature now in 2017 that must have been taken out of the app a very long time ago? Has Audiobus been promising its return? If so, then you have a case to be disgruntled.

Did you even buy Audiobus at a time when it had this feature and have used it? Are you aware that changes were forced upon Audiobus anyway by Apple to fit in with their IAA plans (as far as I'm aware, as it was way before my iOS time lol).

What are you really after here? You seem to be wanting something that was tried and failed and has not been accomplished (in a decent working order) by any other developer. Something that you say was promised, yet really I see little evidence that anything was promised, just something was tried....and failed.

• @Fruitbat1919 said:

@addhead said:

From sound on sound

You are here

Home
    Techniques

Audiobus
    Apple Notes

Hardware > Computer

Published July 2012
    By Mike Watkinson

Audiobus
    Audiobus

Separation Anxiety

Get On Board

En Route

1. It was an idea once, but that it had some issues as shown in the posted piece from Sound on Sound.
    2. There are no promises or statements here that promise it would get resolved from the Audiobus team.

You have an explanation of why it was not continued with by the Audiobus team, which to my mind seems fair and reasonable, as if you want Audio from one device to another, there is much better wired options.

So from this I can see that in 2013 you get an idea that this app may do something that it later does not do. Did you actually use that feature when it was first in use? If not, you have not lost anything, as the app does not pretend to have that feature now.

Then, we do have to question, why seriously are you complaining about a feature now in 2017 that must have been taken out of the app a very long time ago? Has Audiobus been promising its return? If so, then you have a case to be disgruntled.

Did you even buy Audiobus at a time when it had this feature and have used it? Are you aware that changes were forced upon Audiobus anyway by Apple to fit in with their IAA plans (as far as I'm aware, as it was way before my iOS time lol).

What are you really after here? You seem to be wanting something that was tried and failed and has not been accomplished (in a decent working order) by any other developer. Something that you say was promised, yet really I see little evidence that anything was promised, just something was tried....and failed.

if someting failed than it's a succes in my opinion, and you can change it to get it to work,
    I think that if the wifi internal network is fast enough it will work, but i am a bit stubborn, Sorry about that.

• @addhead said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

@addhead said:

From sound on sound

You are here

Home
    Techniques

Audiobus
    Apple Notes

Hardware > Computer

Published July 2012
    By Mike Watkinson

Audiobus
    Audiobus

Separation Anxiety

Get On Board

En Route

if someting failed than it's a succes in my opinion, and you can change it to get it to work,
    I think that if the wifi internal network is fast enough it will work, but i am a bit stubborn, Sorry about that.

If something fails, it does not always equate to success, or be possible to make it work just by changing something. Often major changes only come about by changes in many areas. It may need lots of areas of technology to change to make this possible. It may never become possible in our lifetime. It definitely is not worth throwing your business away in trying to attain something that lacks real gain from such high risk.

Yes, it seems you are stubborn lol :)