Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Song of the Month Club - April 2017

Comments

• edited April 2017

@badrico, nice harmonica playing. Very good, and blended well with the electronic sounds in the song. Thumbs up!

• @Bobbejaan, nice slow paced song, and the guitar and piano were well mixed and worked very nicely together. Beautiful melodies, and the mix sounded clear and balanced. The piano, is it a real instrument, or an iOS app? Great effort!

• @Bluepunk, great guitar intro! Was this guitarrism, or a real guitar played live? Very interesting lyrics, as usual, and I like the way you not only sing, but interpret your songs. Good and tight mix, very well done.

• @Marcel 'Wistful thinking' is exactly right. A certain melancholia...a sense of what might have been (or indeed what once was)...

• @Bobbejaan Only 3 months in and already channeling some Fred Chopin. You must practice heavily because you're moulding/creating a 'Hennie' sound so early on in your journey. Sorrow washes throughout, whether it's the chords/structure/pace/writer (all of these and more probably) and sadness is felt. Last month you had a meaty bass line, and this a guitar. Six odd minutes is knocking on the 'long door' and options for slotting in some kind-to-your-song-dynamics, are plentiful. Percussion possibly? A brooding, evolving rhythm? Keep em coming, and skilled playing once more. :)

• The new stuff is taking longer than anticipated so I have delved into my instrumental back catalogue for this months entry. No singing but featuring my middle daughter on spoken word, you know you got to listen to those voices in your head.

• Hey thanks for the listen ! cheers,

• @orchardman - A somewhat weirdo composition :) I mean that in a positive way! Likeable weird. Is this music? Yes it is. The big smiley pic adds to the whole. The track made me smile/laugh. Had a vague association with Robert Fripp. Good structure of the track.

• Nice song, @orchardman! Enjoyed the phrigian feel and guitar harmonization in the end of the song. Very clever usage of sampling, too. Thumbs up!!

• My entry for this month, it's a new version of my song from last September, which originally had vocoded vocals, but I've sung it this time. Lyrics in the spoiler. Not sure about the lyrics, they're a bit teenage poetry, but I am very happy with the vocal.

Time
    Flow through me
    So patiently
    The eons passing through
    This moment right on cue

Time
    The centuries
    Their memories
    Adrift in clouds of dust
    Alone, frozen and lost

So people live
    And then they die
    And time will give
    Then will deny

Time
    Eternal line
    That endless chime
    Echoes in my mind
    Waiting for a sign

Time
    So unkind
    It's eyes are blind
    Devouring you alive
    You die while it survives

• Very good, @richardyot! I had a slight impression that the piano riff's timing could be tighter, but other than that (which could be just an impression anyway), great arrangement. Your vocals are well performed and mixed. Congrats!

• @richardyot said:
    My entry for this month, it's a new version of my song from last September, which originally had vocoded vocals, but I've sung it this time. Lyrics in the spoiler. Not sure about the lyrics, they're a bit teenage poetry, but I am very happy with the vocal.

Went back and listened as well to the 'original' and it's an interesting comparison. I certainly don't think you would have/could have done such a good job then as you do now with the vocals. Six months isn't long, but in this case it feels like it. For all that I liked the vocoded approach as well, so will try and avoid the Teddy 'comparison thief/joy' thing.

If I have a crit. at all, and it's really more of an observation, the vocal delivered in a straight manner also seems to require more of the song (or maybe is just more of an opportunity for the song). I was looking for a more dynamic change/chorus in this version and perhaps more arc/end.

Must be good to be back in your own changing room and ready to play after so many away matches...(apologies, just got through with watching the 2003 Rugby World Cup Final....)

• edited April 2017

@Bluepunk really love that track, and the new subtler and softer touch you've grown into.

Firstly the music is really great, love the intro riff, and the music is chock full of catchy hooks that drive the tune along and make it fun to listen to. Love the synth/horn solo bit as well. Great engaging and purposeful music.

And the vocal is great as well, the lyrics are funny and quirky, the delivery is perfect. I'm not sure what the transformation is that the lady is going through, that's the only question mark ( seeing as it's not the menopause), but she's obviously coming down in the world. You might need to spell it out for the slower-witted amongst us (like myself).

Anyway, the more you do this SOTMC malarkey, the more you surprise me, in a good way, keep doing it - it's awesome.

(Edit) it seems the subject is the menopause after all, Christ I'm thick. :*

• @serosin interesting and experimental, the main riff is quite dissonant sounding and gives the track an edgy feel. The breakdowns are cool, and add to that edge. Maybe a little short on ideas and variety, and could have done with a hint of sweetness to contrast against the more edgy stuff, but it's unusual and gritty in a good way.

• @o_imseng cool EDM track, the intro drums are maybe straying into cliché territory but once it gets going it's fun to listen to.

Lots of variety, different musical parts with lots of hooks to keep the interest going and a great driving groove to keep those toes tapping.

It might have been nice to break out of the genre a little, because all of the sounds are very much what you would expect to hear, but the music itself is really solid and well-crafted. A good track.

• @badrico Cheers for the 'magnificently obscene' comment. I'm doing something right then!

'Spring' creates oodles of vibrant atmosphere to inhabit for a songs worth of time. You offer a log to plonk our arse on, a dented metal plate with warm, comforting, smoked baked beans on board, then pull the log away and siphon the beans into both ears. Brilliant! Pass the parcel with one layer of wrapping, but it's made of sharpened steel, and that hurts in a most pleasurable way.

The rhythm section, with the bass popping along merrily, is the star for me. Remember well your skills on the bongos etc from previous tunes. The change to a straight beat at 3.15, but keeping the toms flicks to blend in works. The build and fall from 2.10, started by that yum organ, is perfect in texture and dynamics. Yeah, great stuff. :)

• @Bobbejaan that's a lovely concerto for piano and synthesiser, and the interplay between the piano and the synth is really great, I enjoyed that a lot.

There's something in the contrast between the classical feel of the piano and the more aggressive sounding synth that really makes this track work well. And later on the (sampled?) guitar comes in as well to add a third voice and another dimension.

Some of the melodic lines are beautiful, and the track has a great flow that carries the listener from start to finish. Great work.

• @badrico that's my kind of a ruckus, what a great track. Love the choice of sounds: swampy, bluesy, but in no way cliché, quite a hard trick to pull off.

Underpinned by a great rhythm, the melodies float over the top like drunken flies, with a a selection of sounds mingling with the harmonica, all well-chosen and perfectly fitting. The melodies have that infectious rhythm and the call-and-response works brilliantly.

Don't have much more to say except that's one of the best instrumentals I've heard posted here. Great job.

• edited April 2017

@Igneous1 a typically complex track, though not quite as crazily dense as some of your previous work. The choice of sounds and textures reminds me strongly of "In Sides" era Orbital but your rhythms and melodies are very much your own.

The track definitely benefits from repeated listens because it takes a while for its complexity to sink in, but it's well-constructed and enjoyable, it evolves in a cool way without losing the listener and there's lots of great little sections. The rhythm is definitely stuttery but it works really well and I love the way the melodies interplay with that rhythmic feel.

My only crit is (as before) I find that that harmonically it's too well constructed, I would love to hear some darker and more surprising notes/intervals in there.

• @theconnactic this one is a bit like Industrial Meets Classical, with a hint of funk thrown in, an unusual genre :)

The playing is great, I wish I had your flawless timing, and I liked the edginess of the rhythmic noises (samples?) and the contrast between the nylon-stringed and electric sections of the track.

The one thing that was a miss for me was that I didn't feel the groove in the nylon-stringed sections, the rhythm was too rigid for me, the drums were more funky when the electric was playing.

The harmony part on the classical guitar was cool and clever, and it's always nice to watch you playing.

• @Igneous1 Your title intrigues. I'm working on one similar; Sputter. Listening to your drums in detail here and I like. Sometimes, electronic type bass drums, sound harsh with minimal release and.... you know, that 'pop, crack' affair. More heard in yer face than felt in the pit of the stomach. Appreciate the gentle haze that you have surrounding each hit to taper off the edges. Does what it is there to do (and more) with control and authority. The differently pitched snares (.35/.36), and see those 3 cymbal bell caresses at .41...........

Attention to detail should/could matter in a song with such a clear production. Small (to some) but relevant to that dynamic thrust. Again, the introduction of a tambourine at 2.02, on the off beat, adds splashes of colour. Gone on enough about drums, so musically will keep it simple and just say that it is an Igneous track, so the weave is wonderful. :)

• @theconnactic Thank you Dimitri. Yep, always Guitarism, and I'm coming for your crown sir ;)

Ah yes, I feel threat..... It's the bonkers bass. What is that, and how please? So damn cool and different. Sorry, but will mention words again. This tune of yours, (above most I've heard) demands vocals imo. Not a structured thing and samples would work. One reason I say this is, I feel you have one foot in the back door of a dance club on this. Of course, the strings are the highlight but happy to hear you dipping your fabulous finger nails into electronica again. That's how it feels anyway. Vocally, anyone from Rick Astley to Jason Williamson.... or Hank Marvin to Keith Flint. They'd all work, in an unexpected way.
    Top stuff again.

Have you got Guitarism? Would love you to whack a vid up of you on that. I have efficient slow-mo capabilities, so I can learn some tricks. :D

• @Marcel That's it! Euro Tunnel bound. Someone over there needs a cwtch! Dreamy hurt. Boy, does this tug on the old heart strings. You are right (and proud) to say your voice sounds good. Can hear the effort you've made, and again, in foreign tongue. Clap, clap clap sir. Don't know what the techy term is but I like how you 'hang words.' They melt into whatever follows them seamlessly, be that another word, or music. Also enjoyed the 'k, k, k's that end the delivery at 1.36. Agree about the amount of melancholy involved here and love to be driven down that particular boulevard. Drums are natural in feel/sound and the washy hats that compliment your message, are most felt after the beautifully timed break at 2.09. Gorgeous tune.

Read your views on mics, and a possible solution is a USB mic. Plug and play, perfect for us lazy buggers, and for those moments of vocal inspiration. Helped my confidence as well. :)

• @orchardman Mmmm. Those voices can get you in a shit load of trouble. The ones straight from the heart appear to cause less trauma. Although.......

Unexpected...... bloody hell! Now I understand your cover art. I have to say that this is your best, and satisfies many sensors. This is stunning. Saddle up a speaker and head to Wind Street next Saturday night. The revellers would love it also. Heavy, utterly disgusting, filthy guitar, sledges its way in, but faces stiff competition from the brutal drums, who are up against a bad ass bass. But they all drop to their knees and gives gifts to your daughter. She is the star here. Can hear those genes and please, you must not let this be an introduction only thing. You'll all be singing on one of yours soon. :)

Of course, you know what I'm gunna ask don't you. The question I've been asking you for, oooh, I dunno, about a decade or so..... can she sing Siouxsie? :)

More please. Excellent stuff.

• @Marcel a trademark sad song, I love those melancholy songs you write.

The piano riff is very strong, makes a great musical hook and the extended intro works really well. Vocal is very good, full of emotion and amazing considering it was recorded on the internal mic, it does sound a little thin but not distractingly so. There's some nice moments where the voice sounds raw and emotional.

The chorus-drenched guitar solo interplays beautifully with the piano and the guitar sound is strongly reminiscent of Disintegration era Cure.

Nothing to criticise really, just a very nice melancholy track.

• @orchardman a bit of a departure this one, it's a long way from Celtic ballads and swampy southern rock...

The guitar riff is pretty hooky in a weird (but good) way, I liked it a lot, and the heavy drums were nice too.

Probably takes a little too long to get going though, and could maybe evolve some more, but I enjoyed the guitar a lot.

• @Bluepunk said:
    @theconnactic Thank you Dimitri. Yep, always Guitarism, and I'm coming for your crown sir ;)

Ah yes, I feel threat..... It's the bonkers bass. What is that, and how please? So damn cool and different. Sorry, but will mention words again. This tune of yours, (above most I've heard) demands vocals imo. Not a structured thing and samples would work. One reason I say this is, I feel you have one foot in the back door of a dance club on this. Of course, the strings are the highlight but happy to hear you dipping your fabulous finger nails into electronica again. That's how it feels anyway. Vocally, anyone from Rick Astley to Jason Williamson.... or Hank Marvin to Keith Flint. They'd all work, in an unexpected way.
    Top stuff again.

Have you got Guitarism? Would love you to whack a vid up of you on that. I have efficient slow-mo capabilities, so I can learn some tricks. :D

Thank you, Blue! Perhaps I post something with vocals in the near future, speaking a broken english variant called the "Carioca accent". For now, instrumentals will do. No, I don't have Guitarrism yet, but the moment I do, a video is quite a possibility.

• @richardyot said:
    @theconnactic this one is a bit like Industrial Meets Classical, with a hint of funk thrown in, an unusual genre :)

The playing is great, I wish I had your flawless timing, and I liked the edginess of the rhythmic noises (samples?) and the contrast between the nylon-stringed and electric sections of the track.

The one thing that was a miss for me was that I didn't feel the groove in the nylon-stringed sections, the rhythm was too rigid for me, the drums were more funky when the electric was playing.

The harmony part on the classical guitar was cool and clever, and it's always nice to watch you playing.

Thank you, Richard. The rhythmic noises are not samples, but iMS-20, as every other sound in the song but the guitars.

• @richardyot Thanks Richard. I confused the subject matter and you are right. It is about a lady that fell from grace into crime, and the menopause kinda slotted in naturally next to it.

Listened to both now and missed things from the original 7 months back. There's an aching sound (not the whooshing) from 3.12 until the outro. Mixed in beautifully so it folds in, and doesn't take over. Those little sonic subtleties............ :) Vocally, does vocoder magic tend to makes sounds higher in pitch? Without one, your voice sounds lower, more gravelly and deep/full. Or, sung from the chest in parts? (Thinking of that vocal lesson vid you put up). Character/attitude/delivery are allowed to flourish naturally I find when techy supplements are turned down, but of course, it is all down to what the song is asking for/needs. You've got this thing similar to Marcel where you can skilfully dangle the end of phrases and words (in a tender, longing way) into the next line, but still leave space in between to allow the listener to soak it up.

Good luck with all the home stuff. :)

• @Bootsy - Very good production! Great composition, lyrics, voice, etc, etc, not to forget the melody!! Great voice you have. Really dug the 'chorus'. It could be a bit shorter for me.

Off topic: I absolutely love your cover of "Nature Boy". As I scroll down your portofolio I see your Nick Drake cover, just listened to it, very well done! Only thing for me is that he made more appealing songs (for me that is, its subjective of course). Fruit Tree for instance. But perhaps the beauty of it relies for a great part on the string arrangement, so it might be too hard to cover. And it might be a bit too much "deep melancholy" :). Ha, a new musicstyle. EDIT: oops, see another Nick Drake cover you made : Day is Done.....now this a great song! Very good covered!