Song of the Month Club - April 2017

edited April 4 in General

What is the Song of the Month Club?

It's a place where musicians come to give and receive feedback on their work. Anyone is welcome, whatever their level of ability.

The spirit of the club is to contribute: if you submit a song for others to comment on, you should also have the courtesy to listen to everyone else's contributions and give as much feedback as possible. Posting a track and not listening and commenting on others is not cool.

The purpose of feedback is to be honest. Essentially you should give your truthful impressions of the song, whether good or bad. Negative feedback, if done in the right spirit and with courtesy, can be the most useful and can help the artist to grow and improve and correct their mistakes.

All submissions are welcome, don't hesitate if you want to contribute. We like all kinds of music and we are particularly fond of vocals (but of course we still love a great instrumental). If you are thinking of experimenting with vocals this is a good place to get started.

We ask that you only post one song per month in this thread - if you're lucky enough to be able to produce more, then please just submit your strongest material

«13456

Comments

  • edited April 3

    Sweet, thank you! I'm super new and this will be my first Song of the month club. I'm really super excited and looking forward to this. I haven't an entry yet, just saw the post and thought I would introduce myself. Thank you very much.

    P.S. Here is my SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/master_ascendant

    • MA
  • @Master_Ascendant said:
    Sweet, thank you! I'm super new and this will be my first Song of the month club. I'm really super excited and looking forward to this. I haven't an entry yet, just saw the post and thought I would introduce myself. Thank you very much.

    P.S. Here is my SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/master_ascendant

    • MA

    And a very warm welcome to you. Still have 26 days to knock one out. Ears await. Have fun and enjoy. :)

  • Awesome, thank you very much @Bluepunk.

  • Isn't there a compulsory initiation ceremony? @Bluepunk have you got the sheep dip handy?

  • @richardyot said:
    Isn't there a compulsory initiation ceremony? @Bluepunk have you got the sheep dip handy?

    I have indeed gaffer. Sky Blue tinge. And as you've put me on outside areas this month, would you please remind everyone to take their shoes off on the decking BEFORE jumping into the hot tub! Sick of netting up squashed dog shit every morning. Thanks boss. :)

  • @richardyot, I can add some cheese to the sheep dip!
    My first addition to song of the month. Shine.

  • edited April 4

    @Bootsy said:
    @richardyot, I can add some cheese to the sheep dip!
    My first addition to song of the month. Shine.

    Terrific voice, great feel and atmosphere. Pro production. Pro tune. Alright, ready for the caveats? Might be a bit too long. Might benefit from a bit more variation. Might break my heart a bit more with the words. I suspect that tweaking any one of these three would improve what is already first class. Just my toast. Great work.

  • @richardyot said:
    Instrumentals are fine, but songs with vocals are even better. A bad vocal is better than no vocal

    Good to see there's no bias here. :/

  • @telecharge said:

    @richardyot said:
    Instrumentals are fine, but songs with vocals are even better. A bad vocal is better than no vocal

    Good to see there's no bias here. :/

    Editorial direction is all.

  • @JohnnyGoodyear said:

    @Bootsy said:
    @richardyot, I can add some cheese to the sheep dip!
    My first addition to song of the month. Shine.

    Terrific voice, great feel and atmosphere. Pro production. Pro tune. Alright, ready for the caveats? Might be a bit too long. Might benefit from a bit more variation. Might break my heart a bit more with the words. I suspect that tweaking any one of these three would improve what is already first class. Just my toast. Great work.

    Awe thanks so much Johnny! And you are absolutely correct on the variation and the length. I was sick the day they talked about the bridge in songwriting class:)

  • @Master_Ascendant said:
    @Bootsy Very nice!

    Thanks for giving it a [email protected]_Ascendant! I appreciate the comment.

    Cheers!

  • edited April 5

  • @Bootsy said:

    @JohnnyGoodyear said:

    @Bootsy said:
    @richardyot, I can add some cheese to the sheep dip!
    My first addition to song of the month. Shine.

    Terrific voice, great feel and atmosphere. Pro production. Pro tune. Alright, ready for the caveats? Might be a bit too long. Might benefit from a bit more variation. Might break my heart a bit more with the words. I suspect that tweaking any one of these three would improve what is already first class. Just my toast. Great work.

    Awe thanks so much Johnny! And you are absolutely correct on the variation and the length. I was sick the day they talked about the bridge in songwriting class:)

    Hey, why take the bridge when you can go round? That's what I always say....

  • @telecharge said:

    @richardyot said:
    Instrumentals are fine, but songs with vocals are even better. A bad vocal is better than no vocal

    Good to see there's no bias here. :/

    The aim of SOTMC is to create music people might want to listen to. And the average listener/music lover is more likely to listen to songs with vocals. I know I do.

    It doesn't mean that a great instrumental can't be compelling, because of course there are many really great instrumentals posted here, but instrumentals have to bring something special to the table to stand out IMO.

  • @richardyot said:
    The aim of SOTMC is to create music people might want to listen to. And the average listener/music lover is more likely to listen to songs with vocals. I know I do.

    It doesn't mean that a great instrumental can't be compelling, because of course there are many really great instrumentals posted here, but instrumentals have to bring something special to the table to stand out IMO.

    That would look better in the OP, than the text I quoted. But that's just my opinion, much like "A bad vocal is better than no vocal."

  • I'll admit it's a fine line between wanting to push people and not alienating them. Everyone is welcome (and it clearly says that) but I also want to try and push artists beyond their comfort zone, so that's why the emphasis on at least attempting vocals, because for most listeners vocals are essential.

    I'm always open to debate though, and it's a point that has come up before. I understand it might look unwelcoming, or even elitist (which is definitely not my intention), so I've tried to phrase it as tactfully as possible.

    But just to clarify why a bad vocal is better than no vocal: every vocalist is likely to be a bit crap at the beginning. But over time a bad vocalist will become a good vocalist, and SOTMC is a great place for that development to take place, because that's kinda the point of the club: to grow as songwriters, musicians, and in many cases, vocalists.

  • I think this would be more welcoming, and these are all your words except the bold:

    All submissions are welcome, don't hesitate if you want to contribute. Instrumentals are fine, but songs with vocals are preferred. This doesn't mean that a great instrumental can't be compelling, because of course there are many really great instrumentals posted here. The aim of SOTMC is to create music people might want to listen to. And the average listener/music lover is more likely to listen to songs with vocals. If you are thinking of experimenting with vocals this is a good place to get started.

  • OK I've changed it to this, hopefully it's less contentious:

    All submissions are welcome, don't hesitate if you want to contribute. We like all kinds of music and we are particularly fond of vocals (but of course we still love a great instrumental). If you are thinking of experimenting with vocals this is a good place to get started.

  • Thanks for your consideration.

  • I'm as human as the next human :) Inevitably my biases will show through, both in the way I run the club and in my reviews and crits. No way to escape that.

  • @telecharge said:
    Thanks for your consideration.

    There's always room for improvement, that's the first rule of Song Club.

  • Cool response Richard, I always felt that line was a tad 'moot' myself and yes indeed improvement is (in my view) the way forward.

  • @Bootsy As long as the cheese is Danish Blue! Was hoping you'd take the short bus ride across town from C to SOTMC, to appreciate your skills on an original. After all the excitement and parties from yesterday's release, your calming vibe is just the tonic.

    "There's nothing I can't do, when your shine smiles through." Sat, took a moment and thought about that line for a while. So true. Smiling motivates. Lovely that. Haunting solo, and is that one of those slide things you guitarists use? Played so gently. Wondering if there maybe some scope for some percussion. Not a structured beat, more flicky, whispy bongo type stuff caressing the guitar rhythm. Can even hear a triangle (underrated and underused instrument) cutting in the chorus. Mixed perfectly, beautiful Mister Boots. Keep returning to that word angelic. All angels will be smiling today. And so should we. Thanks. :)

  • @Bootsy I'm delighted you've come to join the club.

    So obviously (it kinda goes without saying) in terms of performance this is outstanding, great guitar playing, excellent vocals - love the harmonies, love the sadness in the voice, and the slide guitar in the background tugging away at those heartstrings. And is that an E-bow in the solo? Sounds like one.

    In terms of production everything is really well recorded and mixed, separation between instruments and clarity are great, vocal sits just right. Only thing I would change is to add a little more warmth, a bit more low-end, because the mix sounds a tad cold to my ears.

    In terms of songwriting I think it's a solid effort, maybe a touch too long (if I was your producer I might ask you to trim a minute off the track) and the performance really makes the most of the song - lets the song shine through to borrow a line from the track :)

    What I think you really need to do though is keep writing - come back here every month. You have so much potential, if you wrote 12 songs every year you would be unstoppable.

  • @richardyot said:

    I'm as human as the next human :) Inevitably my biases will show through, both in the way I run the club and in my reviews and crits. No way to escape that.

    Don't worry I was only teasing because we had this same discussion a long time ago :wink:

  • edited April 4

    Cool tune. Great tunes on your sound cloud. Uke - creep! Amazing production. What is your setup?

    @Bootsy said:
    @richardyot, I can add some cheese to the sheep dip!
    My first addition to song of the month. Shine.

Sign In or Register to comment.