Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Audiobus 2 paid upgrade option to Audiobus 3

I get it, the new software is great, and worth the 9.99. What I don't get is why there isn't a means of support for existing users to upgrade for a reduced amount. Audiobus 2 cost 4.99 and the multi routing options are 4.99. If a user purchased both of those I think they should have some benefit or reduced cost to the new Audiobus version. Frankly I think that is a little unethical to not include this as an option. I love supporting developers, and if users haven't purchased Audiobus 2 then there is no issue, but frankly this just isn't fair to existing Audiobus users. I don't want a free upgrade, I don't really care about the money. I want a reduced upgrade for all existing Audiobus users because its what is right. It's the principal of the matter. Perhaps users that have just purchased Audiobus 2 without the multi route option could pay 4.99, and users who bought Audiobus 2 and the multi route upgrade could pay 2.99 or something like that. That way the developers still get extra money from all users, but the users aren't at a complete loss for these upgrades. These do replace the old versions, therefor they aren't new software but simply upgrades. Meaning there is no reason to use Audiobus 2 and Audiobus 3 together, so Audiobus 2 is obsolete after the Audiobus 3 purchase.

Upgrade option for existing Audiobus 2 users.
  1. Should Audiobus 2 include a reduced cost upgrade option to Audiobus 3?32 votes
    1. Yes
      21.88%
    2. No
      78.13%

Comments

• edited April 2017

It's not unethical.

• edited April 2017

Even Microsoft realizes when users have recently paid for a piece of software or upgrade that there is a grace period of time where existing users should have the right to update/upgrade for free or reduced costs. Perhaps thats a better point then, maybe if users have just purchased Audiobus 2 in a certain time frame they can have access to reduced upgrade costs, but if you have had Audiobus 2 forever, then maybe not.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited April 2017

@AUSER said:
    I get it, the new software is great, and worth the 9.99. What I don't get is why there isn't a means of support for existing users to upgrade for a reduced amount. Audiobus 2 cost 4.99 and the multi routing options are 4.99. If a user purchased both of those I think they should have some benefit or reduced cost to the new Audiobus version. Frankly I think that is a little unethical to not include this as an option. I love supporting developers, and if users haven't purchased Audiobus 2 then there is no issue, but frankly this just isn't fair to existing Audiobus users. I don't want a free upgrade, I don't really care about the money. I want a reduced upgrade for all existing Audiobus users because its what is right. It's the principal of the matter. Perhaps users that have just purchased Audiobus 2 without the multi route option could pay 4.99, and users who bought Audiobus 2 and the multi route upgrade could pay 2.99 or something like that. That way the developers still get extra money from all users, but the users aren't at a complete loss for these upgrades. These do replace the old versions, therefor they aren't new software but simply upgrades. Meaning there is no reason to use Audiobus 2 and Audiobus 3 together, so Audiobus 2 is obsolete after the Audiobus 3 purchase.

I think you need to bear in mind what a revolutionary app Audiobus is. It completely changed the way we use iOS devices for making music, and the new MIDI functionality takes it to another level.

I don't like paying again for apps when 'new' versions come out, but in this instance I think it's perfectly justified for the work that's gone into it.

If you don't want or need the new features, then stick with AB2.

• Listen, if this were in fact new software and didn't make existing purchases useless then I would have no argument. But such is not the case. There is no reason to have Audiobus 2 and the multirouting upgrade and then also have Audiobus 3.

• I have Audiobus 2 with the multi routing options , I just paid £9.99 for Audiobus 3 .

All in all Audiobus has cost me £19.97 and I am perfectly happy with that, considering the hours of enjoyment I've already had and will continue to have., money well spent in my book.

• This would have been a moot point if it would have been named something else.

• That would have been awesome of them, maybe a bit too awesome. Idk.. it's not like they haven't been working on this for like three years now and it really isn't too much to ask for.. $9.99 ... I just kind of wish it could have been an update and not an entirely new app, but from what I understand it wasn't possible for them to do such things. It just would have been super nice if it would have worked on older OS. But again, I'm sure they did everything they could for us. And plus these guys have some of the best support I've seen. They seem super cool. ... at least this guy: @Sebastian ... I think he works for Audiobus at least. lol. Anyways. As I was saying. I think they have done a great job. I haven't yet had the chance to check it out but I'm sure it's an AWESOME piece of software and I for one am super looking forward to it being around in into the future for sure. I love to see how things evolve and grow and they 'the Audiobus team' seem like they take their work very seriously and are super dedicated to this so Idk. I think it's worth it. And plus... think of how much it costs them to produce all of this for us. + look at this great forum we have to play on and use. Thank you Audiobus team! Keep up the good work! :)

• MA
  • @kin said:
    I have Audiobus 2 with the multi routing options , I just paid £9.99 for Audiobus 3 .

All in all Audiobus has cost me £19.97 and I am perfectly happy with that, considering the hours of enjoyment I've already had and will continue to have., money well spent in my book.

The money isn't the issue. Its the principal. Sure I agree with you, I think this software is worth way more then they charge for what it can do and offer. Why not charge $49.99 though? I'm sure many users would still pay. Why not $299.00? The fact of the matter is, this new version makes the old version useless, and thats an issue if you just purchased the older version. Native Instruments did a similar thing with the imaschine update and it pissed a lot of users off. I'm into user experience and satisfaction and I think this is a mistake to not include a reduced upgrade option.

• edited April 2017

:o Outraged, that's not fair for those Who tryed to sustain your efforts, you're not sustaing us!
    This is Stealing Money from your bette users..(clients)
    I don't get it. Good luck.

• edited April 2017

@AUSER said:

@kin said:
    I have Audiobus 2 with the multi routing options , I just paid £9.99 for Audiobus 3 .

The money isn't the issue. Its the principal. Sure I agree with you, I think this software is worth way more then they charge for what it can do and offer. Why not charge $49.99 though? I'm sure many users would still pay. Why not $299.00? The fact of the matter is, this new version makes the old version useless, and thats an issue if you just purchased the older version. Native Instruments did a similar thing with the imaschine update and it pissed a lot of users off. I'm into user experience and satisfaction and I think this is a mistake to not include a reduced upgrade option.

Idk.. I kind of agree. Like I JUST got Audiobus like two or three weeks ago and THEN found out about AB3... not like it matters for me though.. it's iOS 10 only. :(

Edit: I'm happy though. I'm happy to be supporting this team.

• @AUSER said:

@kin said:

The money isn't the issue. Its the principal.

Hey, maybe you can be the one who can convince Apple to introduce paid upgrades? Because many tried without any luck

• edited April 2017

I sometimes missed free upgrades on some of my plug-ins which cost me several 100´s just about a week.
    These things happens and it´s annoying as hell, especially if you had wait just a few weeks, months.
    Or i missed those amazing 50% deals by a day.
    Shit happens but if a software major version is some years old it could be any day "replaced" by a new major version. But also the software you bought still works.
    If i think about how much i spend for Alchemy......ouch!

• Have you used Audiobus 2? Then you have derived value from your purchase.

Someone who didn't buy AB2 or the multi-routing option, didn't get to use those features, so they're aren't getting something cheaper than you. They paid the price of not having access to this software or the extra features.

You buy something for the perceived value that it has for you at that moment. If you thought it was worth the purchase price then, what has changed now?

If you didn't derive value from it, was that because it didn't have a feature that was advertised (in which case a discount would be warranted), or because it didn't have a feature that you wanted (which was never advertised and therefore not the developer's responsibility)? Or just because you didn't use it?

Now I recognize that people have been conditioned to think of software upgrades as being fractional costs of the base purchase price, but that is not how the iOS ecosystem works. Things here are sold at ridiculously cheap prices (I'm amazed that anyone wants to waste their time developing for iOS since it seems almost impossible to make a living off of), and there is no way to charge for an upgrade, so the only real recourse is to develop a new app.

• @Cib said:
    I sometimes missed free upgrades on some of my plug-ins which cost me several 100´s just about a week.
    These things happens and it´s annoying as hell, especially if you had wait just a few weeks, months.
    Or i missed those amazing 50% deals by a day.
    Shit happens but if a software major version is some years old it could be any day "replaced" by a new major version. But also the software you bought still works.
    If i think about how much i spend for Alchemy......ouch!

Yeah, no kidding. Stuff happens.

• edited April 2017

As I've said elsewhere, I decided not to get a new laptop and go for a 12" Pro a month ago (refurbished so I'm not rolling in it!), Audiobus was purchased soon after and it's disappointing to find it upgraded shortly after as an entirely new purchase. Pfft, it is what it is and I'm not gonna get indigestion over it and although I do appreciate the development behind it, it's kind of amusing to see so many people make this point like Audiobus is some kind of philanthropic enterprise! I think you'll find they will be more than amply rewarded for their efforts!

• edited April 2017
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited April 2017

I bought a game called diablo 2 AND its expansion pack when i was a teen. I cried very hard when i had to pay for diablo 3 few years ago :(

• Time to wake up! ;)

• @AUSER said:
    Listen, if this were in fact new software and didn't make existing purchases useless then I would have no argument. But such is not the case. There is no reason to have Audiobus 2 and the multirouting upgrade and then also have Audiobus 3.

But that's a terrible argument. You can still use AB2 as you have before. There is no forced upgrade. Besides, if you have used AB2 for a while you've gotten your moneys worth from that

• @aplourde said:
    Have you used Audiobus 2? Then you have derived value from your purchase.

Someone who didn't buy AB2 or the multi-routing option, didn't get to use those features, so they're aren't getting something cheaper than you. They paid the price of not having access to this software or the extra features.

You buy something for the perceived value that it has for you at that moment. If you thought it was worth the purchase price then, what has changed now?

If you didn't derive value from it, was that because it didn't have a feature that was advertised (in which case a discount would be warranted), or because it didn't have a feature that you wanted (which was never advertised and therefore not the developer's responsibility)? Or just because you didn't use it?

Now I recognize that people have been conditioned to think of software upgrades as being fractional costs of the base purchase price, but that is not how the iOS ecosystem works. Things here are sold at ridiculously cheap prices (I'm amazed that anyone wants to waste their time developing for iOS since it seems almost impossible to make a living off of), and there is no way to charge for an upgrade, so the only real recourse is to develop a new app.

Well said. I find it difficult to continue my argument, except in these points. Its not about a new user paying less than existing users. It about supporting existing users. Why should an existing user update to Audiobus 3 if they already have the Audiobus 2+upgrade, and use midi flow? Also how can you address user satisfaction of existing users who may have issue with this as it is? You make great points, and I enjoy your intelligence level.

• So that's like two new accounts conviniently created for a bit of trolling in the AB forum.
    Not taking the bait.

• Nah, we are talking a few dollars. Even if you bought AB 2 in the past month, you got your $5 worth. And if it wasn't worth $5 to you (to use before AB 3 release) then you could have researched Audiobus, found out the new version was soon to be released, then wait.

And on principle, I would say upgrade pricing is not at all needed. But it would be a nice gesture if the app is pricey, say over $20.

• I bought the original Audiobus and than paid again for Audiobus 2. Truth is, I mostly use AUM now. I will likely get AB3 too at some point.

However, For those who just paid for Audiobus 2 within the last month or so ago, and didn't know about AB3 or when it would come out, I might be aggravated too.

There is actually a way that devs can do sort of a paid upgrade, and that's by wrapping up their apps in a bundle so that if you've already purchased their app, you can complete the bundle and get the new version at a discounted price. This supports the dev while also throwing a bone to those who've already purchased their apps. It's essentially the same thing as a paid upgrade.

Not that I think this should necessarily be done, but it is a way for devs to do a paid upgrade within the current App Store system.

• @Max23 said:
    Ab 2 was free for some time ...

But the IAP never were.

• edited April 2017

This has been discussed with the team extensively.

We've thought a lot about some sort of bundle pricing for existing users but every option for it is very messy and also unfair to some users, because some of them might have purchase Audiobus 2 at a sale and some of them might have paid the full price for it (which was 9.99 USD in 2012).

Besides, app bundles come with all sorts of issues, some of which might make future updates even more problematic.

I'm sinking/closing this thread because we're not going to change our mind. Please don't make any new threads about this.

This discussion has been closed.