Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Audiobus 3 is live!

Comments

• @Sebastian said:

@eross said:
    one question. can I have, let's say 3 lanes of synths going? but instead of the signal going to headphones out, it goes to a 4th lane, and then can be treated as a master bus? similar to what Aum app does? if so, how is that done. And if it can, I need to tell AUM that it is time to move on, because Ab3 has just taken over as the king! :)

Nope, but it's interesting idea.

future update?

• edited April 2017
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • A panic button would be very useful.

• @brambos said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

@Sebastian said:

@livemike said:
    So anybody else getting this when I touch presets in AB3, it crashes. When I first install AB3 it contain all my AB2 presets so I deleted AB2. Over the last few days I've added new presets to AB3 no problem but now suddenly if I tap on the preset folder AB3 vanishes. I've tried rebooting my iPad Pro to no avail.

That sucks! Sorry for that.

Here's a workaround:
    1. Back up your existing presets using iTunes File Sharing.
    2. You'll get a folder with all your presets in it. Zip that and send it to me via our support portal. Keep the zip file, you'll use it as backup.
    3. Delete Audiobus 3 and re-install it from the app store.

You can try importing the preset folder back into Audiobus 3 via iTunes File Sharing. If that doesn't work, delete the new presets you made to see if those are the culprit. Meanwhile I'll have a look at the problem after you send me the zip file via our support thing.

Nothing personal, but every time I hear of a solution to a problem and that solution involves iTunes file sharing, I tend to burn wax effergies ;)

I hear that a lot. I wonder where the extreme iTunes hatred comes from? Sure, it's not the most elegant thing Apple has ever made, but iTunes file exchange typically doesn't take more than 20 seconds and does not involve electroshocks or eating live insects. How bad can it be? :)

Anything involving iTunes seems to cause animosity. Having to plug into the computer is inconvenient, even having a computer with iTunes running. And it's Apple's fault, so hatred comes easy. :) Once I figured out how it works, though, file sharing using iTunes is easy enough when required.

• Its the whole thing about it trying to sync your music when all you wanna do is copy a file, back up to places where you don't have enough storage, sell you stuff, slow down your PC ... let alone the irritation of having to bust out the PC in the first place.

I know it's irrational, but there's something that just annoys the hell out of me about iTunes. It's right up there with FaceBook and the Toyota Prius in the list of things that bug me (an otherwise pretty rational being) far more than reason would dictate.

I amaze myself at the things I will do to avoid iTunes.

• Coming from the Windows universe iTunes has puzzled me from the first day I got my first iPad. I knew about iTunes, but I had just considered it to be Apples take on a media hub/store. When coming from Windows you obviously think in terms of files and folders, and when a friend, whom I knew to be an Apple expert told me that i needed to use iTunes for simple file transactions, I seriously thought he was pulling my leg. Why on earth would you need to use a media hub for basic file transactions? Of course, I would eventually get to know, and relunctantly come to terms with Apple's perception of how users should (mostly not) be allowed to interact with the file system. And still, several iDevices later, I still dont get it. How they ever came up with that idea/workflow is still a mystery to me.

• @Judochopjames said:
    When I open midi input only soundprism link edition shows up (I have other apps that provide midi in/out) and it says port unavailable, any time I try and route anything through midi the app just crashes. On iPhone 6 Plus, just wanted to give everyone fair warning.

Also happening for me on the iPhone 6+

• You can't use midi from non AB3 customised apps.

• @BiancaNeve said:
    You can't use midi from non AB3 customised apps.

Right, but you can send midi to many non-AB3 destinations. In other words the MIDI source app has to be specifically coded with AB3 magic.

We'll get there, I'm impressed with how it works, though the apps are few at the moment.

• Please add to the list. Not to compete with AUM but to add this as an option to those that do not own AUM. Plus it really would be so useful for mixing to a master fader. Thanks!!

@Sebastian said:

@eross said:
    one question. can I have, let's say 3 lanes of synths going? but instead of the signal going to headphones out, it goes to a 4th lane, and then can be treated as a master bus? similar to what Aum app does? if so, how is that done. And if it can, I need to tell AUM that it is time to move on, because Ab3 has just taken over as the king! :)

• @wim said:
    Its the whole thing about it trying to sync your music when all you wanna do is copy a file, back up to places where you don't have enough storage, sell you stuff, slow down your PC ... let alone the irritation of having to bust out the PC in the first place.

I know it's irrational, but there's something that just annoys the hell out of me about iTunes. It's right up there with FaceBook and the Toyota Prius in the list of things that bug me (an otherwise pretty rational being) far more than reason would dictate.

Not irrational at all, I agree with all of the above.

Everything from using the thing to the age it seems to take to update. AND the fact it seems to hang my (not so shabby) PC while doing it.

Nasty, nasty software.

• edited April 2017
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I did use MiMiX for quite a long time. It's a great app. I deleted it from my iPad the day AUM hit, however! It's probably still a great choice for just mixing Audiobus.

• @BiancaNeve said:
    You can't use midi from non AB3 customised apps.

Yes you can. Just not with the Audiobus 3 MIDI system, but via regular CoreMIDI.

• edited April 2017

@Max23 said:

@eross said:

@Sebastian said:

@eross said:

future update?

@Sebastian
    Don't want to add drama but
    This also is a safety concern

A panic button on the midipage (all notes off) to kill hanging notes
    And a master mute button in the mixer? To just quickly kill the noise

Yes, yes, yes! Please! All of this. Mix busses, panic button and mute all.
    Well, I guess I did add to the drama but this would be very important to me too!

• edited April 2017
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @Max23 said:
    It also supports multiple output channels to your audiointerface.

Surely AB3 will do this also? (Or, even if not today, sometime soon?)

• edited April 2017

Is there any workaround for having mix busses in AB3 without AUM?

EDIT: Yes, MiMiX can do it :smile:

• will audiobus remote get updates to work with audiobus 3

• edited April 2017

@eross said:
    will audiobus remote get updates to work with audiobus 3

Yep. High on the list, I believe. One thing I'm not quite clear on is if there will be new midi controls and how they will work.

• @aaronpc said:

@eross said:

Yep. High on the list, I believe. One thing I'm not quite clear on is if there will be new midi controls and how they mill work.

cool thanks

• is it news when the sdk will be released?

• edited April 2017

@Sebastian said:

@Michael_R_Grant said:
    Hmm, I'm getting 'Port Unavailable' when trying to add SP Link or SP Electro as a MIDI input. No sound going to the output app. This is on an iPhone 7 Plus running iOS 9.3.

1) How are you using both apps with Audiobus 3 on iOS 9.3?
    2) We're going to fix this. Looks like it's only appearing on iPhone. Bummer. Sorry!!

Old post I know but I'm amazed. I'm not even asking how you managed to install audiobus 3 on iOS 9.3. (I thought I was impossible. Maybe my iPad 3 will live on after all) How did you managed to install iOS 9.3 on an iPhone 7?

• edited April 2017

@Sebastian said:

@Panthemusicalgoat said:
    One thing. I've noticed the bottom of the app main UI doesn't display the current latency. I used to start tonestack with 64 latency before audiobus 2 and it would set audiobus latency (as well as subsequent apps I opened) to 64 latency.

Or you could add 64 latency an option for people who need shorter than 128. Its only useful for fast guitar runs and timing but it would be nice not to have to work around for it.

Yeah, I guess we can add the 64 samples latency option.

I know 64 is very low for several apps running at once in audiobus but I've been using tonestack > loopy in audiobus 2 for a year and it runs amazing on my iPhone 6s.

Audiobus 3 is great btw. Love it

• @Bartlinux said:
    is it news when the sdk will be released?

We'll announce it to developers.

@aaronpc said:

@eross said:

Yep. High on the list, I believe. One thing I'm not quite clear on is if there will be new midi controls and how they will work.

Yep.

• @Max23 said:
    UI bug with apesoft/amazing noises fixed,
    Updates just fell out of the store.

:)

• AB3 often can´t load tonestack and vocalive into the fx slot on my ipad air, latest iOS. iconnect audio 4+ connected. They´re stuck on tap to fix, but the "fix" doesn´t help. Crazy thing is if I retry several times it sometimes works after some restarts. Works great in AB2. Any clues? Thanks. Andre.

• @TheVimFuego said:

@wim said:
    Its the whole thing about it trying to sync your music when all you wanna do is copy a file, back up to places where you don't have enough storage, sell you stuff, slow down your PC ... let alone the irritation of having to bust out the PC in the first place.

Not irrational at all, I agree with all of the above.

Everything from using the thing to the age it seems to take to update. AND the fact it seems to hang my (not so shabby) PC while doing it.

Nasty, nasty software.

+100 - I hate the bloody thing.