Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Audiobus 3 is live!

Comments

• @wim said:

@Lady_App_titude said:
    ... But I feel constrained in the ability to fully express the details of this topic, so best to just move on.

Oooohhh! I like that one! I'm going to use that one in my next meeting with my boss. B)

I do get what you're saying in principle - wuz just trying to put it into perspective. Peace. :smile:

And I do get that iOS is a different ecosystem from desktop, and one that is still evolving and defining its own set of ground rules. This is at least the 2nd time I've seen this kinda thing (NI tried to spin iMaschine 2 as a "whole new app" -- which it's not --- offering existing v1 users no advantage over a new customer, although they did soften the blow with an extremely generous plethora of expansions). This may just be a new paradigm we'll just have to get used to. A lot of it may be simply a function of fundamental structural differences inherent in the whole iOS system --the App Store, the fact that you don't have registration, serial numbers, etc. as in the desktop world. Probably makes it much harder to keep track of and sort out a customer base, etc. I get it.

However, I'm not sure we should just throw out the validity of many longstanding software precedents either (like the distinction between new product and update).

There is much that could be said on both sides of this, but I fear I risk incurring ire with ever step this topic continues. And I certainly don't wish that. Discussion has been rendered moot as regards the present state of affairs. I think it is an important trend to keep an eye on, but once again moving on....

Hopefully I've given you more material for meetings with bosses with these final remarks. :blush:

• @Lady_App_titude said:

And I do get that iOS is a different ecosystem from desktop, and one that is still evolving and defining its own set of ground rules. This is at least the 2nd time I've seen this kinda thing (NI tried to spin iMaschine 2 as a "whole new app" -- which it's not --- offering existing v1 users no advantage over a new customer, although they did soften the blow with an extremely generous plethora of expansions). This may just be a new paradigm we'll just have to get used to. A lot of it may be simply a function of fundamental structural differences inherent in the whole iOS system --the App Store, the fact that you don't have registration, serial numbers, etc. as in the desktop world. Probably makes it much harder to keep track of and sort out a customer base, etc. I get it.

It's pretty much entirely down to structural differences. This really is an Apple issue (to whatever extent it's an issue). FWIW, this is the same system used on the desktop if you use the the Apple Mac App Store. Logic, for example, costs $200 whether it's a new purchase or an version bump upgrade.

However, I'm not sure we should just throw out the validity of many longstanding software precedents either (like the distinction between new product and update).

One of the precedents most of us (consumers) are pretty happy to toss out is high prices. Software upgrade discounts became normal in the world for $75-$1000 apps. Prices like that don't fly on the app store. So, instead, we often pay full price for larger iOS app upgrades. But the price is relatively cheap; several years of AB use for <$30 feels like a steal to me.

• 10€. Look at at what people like microsoft, adobe, autocad etc. are charging per year. Or how much you pay for any decent DAW. 10€ for 3 years really is nothing. And Apple takes 30% of that also. Imagine if it had been 20€ for new customers and 10€ upgrade from AB2.

• @syrupcore said:

@Lady_App_titude said:

It's pretty much entirely down to structural differences. This really is an Apple issue (to whatever extent it's an issue). FWIW, this is the same system used on the desktop if you use the the Apple Mac App Store. Logic, for example, costs $200 whether it's a new purchase or an version bump upgrade.

One of the precedents most of us (consumers) are pretty happy to toss out is high prices. Software upgrade discounts became normal in the world for $75-$1000 apps. Prices like that don't fly on the app store. So, instead, we often pay full price for larger iOS app upgrades. But the price is relatively cheap; several years of AB use for <$30 feels like a steal to me.

It is.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@TheVimFuego said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@MonzoPro said:

@hellquist said:

@Enkerli said:

@JohannesD said:
    I think he is talking about an app that creates chords based on incoming single notes from a keyboard or a sequencer.

Yep!
    Should have called it “harmonizer”, maybe. My not-so-secret dream is that it could create different chords.

Btw. You can get a chorder functionality already now: Create three routes in audiobus from the same input to the same output. In the second and third route, put the Transposer and after that the Scales app. Set the note shifts in Transposer to +3 and +7. In the Scales app, select "ionian" (or any other) as scale for both filter instances. That's it. Just tried that a couple of days ago and its really fun. :)

Thought about that and was trying to test it but got lost having fun driving Filtatron cutoff frequency through breath (didn’t realize Filtatron took MIDI CC!).

Will try it now, for realz. Sure can be fun. It’s the same trick in Ableton (send chord effect through scale). Supposedly, it means all the chord notes will be in scale, unlike having the same chord structure on every note. Pretty useful. But chorders can be more flexible than this.

I predict wild combinations of the new Midiflow apps, StepPolyArp (and probably/possibly also involving ChordPolyPad) along with Fugue Machine and other sequencers causing mayhem in a pair of headphones near me in the very near future. That panic button might be a life saver. :)

StepPolyArp Has been mentioned a lot today, think I need to add this to my list....

Irrespective of AB3, SPA is the orangutan's ovaries.

I slept on my potential snap purchase of SPA last night due to my judgment being clouded by app buying frenzy.

Having checked out the demos you have shaken me off the fence, looks like a lot of fun.

In that push-you pull-me between utility and capability I think SPA is the best of the bunch (for me). Maybe Xynth runs it (differently) close.

Yes, SPA and Xynthesizr will play very nicely together for me too. I was bashing out some very interesting stuff in SPA on the commute in, so easy to get a baseline groove going then copy the pattern and selectively random it up (undoing as necessary).

My app budget has been very well spent over the past couple of days.

• @TheVimFuego said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@TheVimFuego said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@MonzoPro said:

@hellquist said:

@Enkerli said:

@JohannesD said:
    I think he is talking about an app that creates chords based on incoming single notes from a keyboard or a sequencer.

Yep!
    Should have called it “harmonizer”, maybe. My not-so-secret dream is that it could create different chords.

Btw. You can get a chorder functionality already now: Create three routes in audiobus from the same input to the same output. In the second and third route, put the Transposer and after that the Scales app. Set the note shifts in Transposer to +3 and +7. In the Scales app, select "ionian" (or any other) as scale for both filter instances. That's it. Just tried that a couple of days ago and its really fun. :)

Thought about that and was trying to test it but got lost having fun driving Filtatron cutoff frequency through breath (didn’t realize Filtatron took MIDI CC!).

Will try it now, for realz. Sure can be fun. It’s the same trick in Ableton (send chord effect through scale). Supposedly, it means all the chord notes will be in scale, unlike having the same chord structure on every note. Pretty useful. But chorders can be more flexible than this.

I predict wild combinations of the new Midiflow apps, StepPolyArp (and probably/possibly also involving ChordPolyPad) along with Fugue Machine and other sequencers causing mayhem in a pair of headphones near me in the very near future. That panic button might be a life saver. :)

StepPolyArp Has been mentioned a lot today, think I need to add this to my list....

I slept on my potential snap purchase of SPA last night due to my judgment being clouded by app buying frenzy.

Having checked out the demos you have shaken me off the fence, looks like a lot of fun.

In that push-you pull-me between utility and capability I think SPA is the best of the bunch (for me). Maybe Xynth runs it (differently) close.

Yes, SPA and Xynthesizr will play very nicely together for me too. I was bashing out some very interesting stuff in SPA on the commute in, so easy to get a baseline groove going then copy the pattern and selectively random it up (undoing as necessary).

I think you're due a visit to the SOTMC.....

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@TheVimFuego said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@TheVimFuego said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@MonzoPro said:

@hellquist said:

@Enkerli said:

@JohannesD said:

Yep!

You mean actually produce something tangible for public consumption? There's a thought!

I do feel kind of guilty consuming all these great demos and YouTubers tutorials and not adding to the pile. Should remedy that.

• If I see a good demonstration of fugue machine to step poly I'm gonna buy AB3 now. Though I'm gonna buy it anyway as a thanks for hosting this forum.

• @TheVimFuego said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@TheVimFuego said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@TheVimFuego said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@MonzoPro said:

@hellquist said:

@Enkerli said:

@JohannesD said:

Yep!

You mean actually produce something tangible for public consumption? There's a thought!

I do feel kind of guilty consuming all these great demos and YouTubers tutorials and not adding to the pile. Should remedy that.

Feeling the same guilt. Only been posting snippets, here and there. Have yet to really make the kind of piece of music which would make me feel good.
    But this forum has really helped me make sense of what’s available and something tangible might not be too far off. Just don’t want to be coaxed into it.

• @syrupcore said:
    FWIW, this is the same system used on the desktop if you use the the Apple Mac App Store. Logic, for example, costs $200 whether it's a new purchase or an version bump upgrade.

Precisely! As we’ve discussed at length, Logic Pro X is a great deal, as it’s heavily subsidized. But even that doesn’t allow for upgrade pricing (even with bundles). And they do push updates as new apps. So do the devs at the Omni Group.

As weird as it may sound, this lack of upgrade pricing played a part in delaying my decision to purchase the $30 Mainstage. Had the impression that it could soon be upgraded to version 4. Though it’s a very inexpensive app for what it is, it’d feel really crappy if it required a new purchase within a few days. Was only convinced that it’d be an update to 3.3 upon hearing about Logic Remote requiring that very version (which took several weeks to be released). Buying Mainstage and playing with Alchemy, was simply delighted and thought about the lost time since that was released. The Alchemy addition was indeed a free update to either Logic Pro X or Mainstage. But Apple does require full payment for an actual upgrade, every few years.

• @TheVimFuego said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@TheVimFuego said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@TheVimFuego said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@MonzoPro said:

@hellquist said:

@Enkerli said:

@JohannesD said:

Yep!

makes note

• @Enkerli said:

@TheVimFuego said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@TheVimFuego said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@TheVimFuego said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@MonzoPro said:

@hellquist said:

@Enkerli said:

@JohannesD said:

Yep!

Feeling the same guilt. Only been posting snippets, here and there. Have yet to really make the kind of piece of music which would make me feel good.
    But this forum has really helped me make sense of what’s available and something tangible might not be too far off. Just don’t want to be coaxed into it.

makes altogether different note

• Congrats Audiobus team! What a great influence you are having on iOS music production. It's quite the community you have fostered here as well. Very cool.

• edited April 2017

@Enkerli said:

@syrupcore said:
    FWIW, this is the same system used on the desktop if you use the the Apple Mac App Store. Logic, for example,

The situation w/ Logic is basically non sequitur. Apple practically gives it away free.

• OK, so I got AB3 today, and for the most part its been positive, with a few hiccups here and there I expect from new releases, that and I have a ton of apps that just havent been updated for AB3 yet ( I dont expect all of them will get updated but Im hoping most will ) and my Ipad is an Ipad Air 2. Im really hoping more and more apps will get on board with Audio Unit extension, it makes things a lot easier than having to close apps or restarting my Ipad to make sure apps arent still running in the background. Anyway Ill be really pushing AB3 over the next few days to see how my Ipad holds up, but the one thing I noticed is Audiobus remote doesnt work with it. When I try pairing it with my Iphone it tells me I have to update to the latest update, so Im guessing a new Audiobus remote is on the way?

• @TheVimFuego said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@TheVimFuego said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@MonzoPro said:

@hellquist said:

@Enkerli said:

@JohannesD said:

Yep!

I've been checking the SPA demos too. Looks like my app buying fast is about to be broken...

• @MonzoPro said:
    Looks like my app buying fast is about to be broken...

It'll be a "fast app buying" then...

BA--DUM--TSSS!

I'll get my coat.

B)

• SPA works amazingly well in AB3. None of the failure to start issues i had earlier with Aum or ab2. But in terms of timing it has been rock solid since Link was added.

• @brambos said:

@MonzoPro said:

BA--DUM--TSSS!

I'll get my coat.

B)

:)

Nothing fast about my app buying though, more of a slow ponder from the fence, coupled with copious amounts of chin scratching....

• @brambos said:

@MonzoPro said:

BA--DUM--TSSS!

I'll get my coat.

B)

Don't quit the day job ... Oh, you have? :#

More noodling with SPA later ... I think it's a keeper, going to get much use out of it.

• @gonekrazy3000 said:
    SPA works amazingly well in AB3. None of the failure to start issues i had earlier with Aum or ab2. But in terms of timing it has been rock solid since Link was added.

Ah, problems with those then?

• @MonzoPro said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:
    SPA works amazingly well in AB3. None of the failure to start issues i had earlier with Aum or ab2. But in terms of timing it has been rock solid since Link was added.

actually what i mean is its working perfectly now. but was pretty good when ableton link was added so its been good for a long time now.

• @gonekrazy3000 said:

@MonzoPro said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

actually what i mean is its working perfectly now. but was pretty good when ableton link was added so its been good for a long time now.

Ah good stuff, thanks.

I'll stop de-railing the thread with SPA stuff now, though it was triggered by how well it works with apps like this.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @syrupcore said:

@Lady_App_titude said:

Yes. Hopefully, the average iOS musician appreciates what they’re getting for the price. Sophisticated apps for a few dollars and with many free updates. If iOS developers are pressured to give upgrade discounts to existing users (a significant portion of their business,) how does it affect their profit margin? If devs are to be encouraged to put in the enormous amount of time and effort it takes to create great apps for iOS, then we existing users should be the ones most eager to help support them. It’s 10 bucks. Decide whether the future of the platform is worth it to you.

• Those complaining should remember how privileged we are todays. Not long ago I had to shelve out thousands of dollars and have a big room to store my mixer, computer, keyboards, Rack Units etc in. Today I only need an iPad Mini to make chart entering Trance and Electronic Music.

Think about that.

• First, congratulations to the entire Audiobus team for this major upgrade. Although I didn't know it at the time, I was kind of dreaming of an all in one Audio/Midi pipeline app a few years back. So awesome to see it come to life! Thank you all :sunglasses:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:
    Watched the video and glad to see Mister Jakob is now working for you guys (all those proud 'we' and 'our' references :) ), but have to say I could do with an even simpler or step by step overview to really get the most out of your efforts....the more I learn about iOS the more stupid I seem to be becoming :)

I'm incredibly stupid when it comes to MIDI - would like a nice gentle vid showing the (included) MIDI features.

Yeah. We'd be in that remedial classroom in the back, although I'd guess there would be a few more with us there than you might think. Especially once you get past the fellows here who like to swim in the deeper waters (in other words to the bigger pond of potential buyers etc).

If you guys are in the remedial MIDI classroom, I'd be the kid crying, being dragged to it by the arm by mom, "No, no, I don't WANT to go to MIDI school!" :wink:

If you all haven't already discovered them yet in another thread (haven't gone outside yet, today) Johannes has a video for all of the MIDIflow apps in his app bundle. After I'd watch one, there'd be the next one off to the side under "recommended," got through all six that way. Then there's the free Transposer app that gets a mention along the way, too:

Mana for Midiots!

• Great video! Two epiphanies from it: (1) that keyboard app is a must have to show the power of AB3 (just bought the bundle) and (2) split screen is friggin awesome!

@JohannesD: can we get a drum pad keyboard option?

• Thanks for the video nudge. I am wearing my old grey shorts and have the full snot-covered schoolboy sleeve this morning, so will try and pay attention and get some learning in. :)

@eustressor said:
    First, congratulations to the entire Audiobus team for this major upgrade. Although I didn't know it at the time, I was kind of dreaming of an all in one Audio/Midi pipeline app a few years back. So awesome to see it come to life! Thank you all :sunglasses:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:
    Watched the video and glad to see Mister Jakob is now working for you guys (all those proud 'we' and 'our' references :) ), but have to say I could do with an even simpler or step by step overview to really get the most out of your efforts....the more I learn about iOS the more stupid I seem to be becoming :)

I'm incredibly stupid when it comes to MIDI - would like a nice gentle vid showing the (included) MIDI features.

Yeah. We'd be in that remedial classroom in the back, although I'd guess there would be a few more with us there than you might think. Especially once you get past the fellows here who like to swim in the deeper waters (in other words to the bigger pond of potential buyers etc).

If you guys are in the remedial MIDI classroom, I'd be the kid crying, being dragged to it by the arm by mom, "No, no, I don't WANT to go to MIDI school!" :wink:

If you all haven't already discovered them yet in another thread (haven't gone outside yet, today) Johannes has a video for all of the MIDIflow apps in his app bundle. After I'd watch one, there'd be the next one off to the side under "recommended," got through all six that way. Then there's the free Transposer app that gets a mention along the way, too:

Mana for Midiots!

• @Lady_App_titude said:

@Enkerli said:

@syrupcore said:
    FWIW, this is the same system used on the desktop if you use the the Apple Mac App Store. Logic, for example,

The situation w/ Logic is basically non sequitur. Apple practically gives it away free.

Not when it upgrades.