Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Audiobus 3 is live!

Comments

• @kgmessier said:

@Artmuzz said:
    I am a bit disappointed that I have to purchase this as a new app instead of a free update to Audiobus 2.

Yeah, why wouldn't the Audiobus team just give this stuff away?

@AndyPlankton said:
    All your hard work.

Oh, right. That's why. ;)

I wasn't necessarily expecting it to be free upgrade, but I definitely think it is wrong to not offer existing users a discounted upgrade path. A paid upgrade is common and understandable for a major update and version # jump, but to offer zero discount to existing users is almost unheard of, at least in the desktop world.

• @hellquist said:

@Enkerli said:

@JohannesD said:
    I think he is talking about an app that creates chords based on incoming single notes from a keyboard or a sequencer.

Yep!
    Should have called it “harmonizer”, maybe. My not-so-secret dream is that it could create different chords.

Btw. You can get a chorder functionality already now: Create three routes in audiobus from the same input to the same output. In the second and third route, put the Transposer and after that the Scales app. Set the note shifts in Transposer to +3 and +7. In the Scales app, select "ionian" (or any other) as scale for both filter instances. That's it. Just tried that a couple of days ago and its really fun. :)

Thought about that and was trying to test it but got lost having fun driving Filtatron cutoff frequency through breath (didn’t realize Filtatron took MIDI CC!).

Will try it now, for realz. Sure can be fun. It’s the same trick in Ableton (send chord effect through scale). Supposedly, it means all the chord notes will be in scale, unlike having the same chord structure on every note. Pretty useful. But chorders can be more flexible than this.

I predict wild combinations of the new Midiflow apps, StepPolyArp (and probably/possibly also involving ChordPolyPad) along with Fugue Machine and other sequencers causing mayhem in a pair of headphones near me in the very near future. That panic button might be a life saver. :)

StepPolyArp Has been mentioned a lot today, think I need to add this to my list....

• @JohannesD said:
    I think he is talking about an app that creates chords based on incoming single notes from a keyboard or a sequencer. The keyboard app is a chord keyboard, but it cannot make chords based on MIDI.

Btw. You can get a chorder functionality already now: Create three routes in audiobus from the same input to the same output. In the second and third route, put the Transposer and after that the Scales app. Set the note shifts in Transposer to +3 and +7. In the Scales app, select "ionian" (or any other) as scale for both filter instances. That's it. Just tried that a couple of days ago and its really fun. :)

Actually that's the very first thing I tried after installing but I couldn't get it to work with the MF Keyboard as input. Should work with external sources though. A single app for this would be really great! Something like ChordPolyPad, where you can really set each chord voicing the way you like.

• to summarize my previous question : if I want to work with StepPolyArp and Thumbjam (with its 8 midi instruments in 8 pipes), I must open StepPolyArp in the AUDIO section of Audiobus 3 and ignore the MIDI section, correct ?

• @MonzoPro said:

@hellquist said:

@Enkerli said:

@JohannesD said:
    I think he is talking about an app that creates chords based on incoming single notes from a keyboard or a sequencer.

Yep!
    Should have called it “harmonizer”, maybe. My not-so-secret dream is that it could create different chords.

Thought about that and was trying to test it but got lost having fun driving Filtatron cutoff frequency through breath (didn’t realize Filtatron took MIDI CC!).

Will try it now, for realz. Sure can be fun. It’s the same trick in Ableton (send chord effect through scale). Supposedly, it means all the chord notes will be in scale, unlike having the same chord structure on every note. Pretty useful. But chorders can be more flexible than this.

I predict wild combinations of the new Midiflow apps, StepPolyArp (and probably/possibly also involving ChordPolyPad) along with Fugue Machine and other sequencers causing mayhem in a pair of headphones near me in the very near future. That panic button might be a life saver. :)

StepPolyArp Has been mentioned a lot today, think I need to add this to my list....

Irrespective of AB3, SPA is the orangutan's ovaries.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@MonzoPro said:

@hellquist said:

@Enkerli said:

@JohannesD said:

Yep!

Dunno how I missed this one. I need to up my game.

• @Enkerli said:

@JohannesD said:

Yep!

Sure is fun! Here’s a quick example:

Funnily enough, trying to record this, wasn’t able to do so while Filtatron was an audio effect. Had to eject it before getting levels in AudioShare (also tried Blocs Wave and Loopy HD). Strange.

• @Lady_App_titude said:

@kgmessier said:

@Artmuzz said:
    I am a bit disappointed that I have to purchase this as a new app instead of a free update to Audiobus 2.

Yeah, why wouldn't the Audiobus team just give this stuff away?

@AndyPlankton said:
    All your hard work.

Oh, right. That's why. ;)

I wasn't necessarily expecting it to be free upgrade, but I definitely think it is wrong to not offer existing users a discounted upgrade path. A paid upgrade is common and understandable for a major update and version # jump, but to offer zero discount to existing users is almost unheard of, at least in the desktop world.

Emphasis added.

• @Lady_App_titude said:

Check the last post of the thread:

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/18107/audiobus-2-paid-upgrade-option-to-audiobus-3

• Oh, and just for kicks, here’s my Audiobus preset for the whole thing:
    http://preset.audiob.us/L5zmnynZfK7h5KP

• Hmm, I'm getting 'Port Unavailable' when trying to add SP Link or SP Electro as a MIDI input. No sound going to the output app. This is on an iPhone 7 Plus running iOS 9.3.

• WOOOOOOOO-HOO!

• Very nice!

The same thing works with the Midiflow Keyboard, but you have to make sure to select all appearing ports in the port selector. Only that way, it will send MIDI into all pipelines.

• @Pegleg85 said:

@Artmuzz said:

Hahaha. All of this work and it only costs you 10 bucks. That is a bargain.

I'll spend the money. The basic AB functionality is what I really use & I'm happy to spend more for it!

• Hm, maybe we shouldn’t belabour this. But, for the record: as the owner of both a recent device and an older one, quite happy to have paid for both AB2 and AB3. Sure, they could have been bundled but bundles do come with issues.
    My main wish in terms of bundles had to do with Korg Gadget for macOS. Still think their pricing strategy is a kludge. But AB3 pricing makes a lot of sense, to me.
    And this is said as someone who’s been really careful with money, recently. Unlike many other purchases, AB3 is worth it to me at this point in time and holds a lot of promise as more apps get optimized for it.

• @Michael_R_Grant said:
    Hmm, I'm getting 'Port Unavailable' when trying to add SP Link or SP Electro as a MIDI input. No sound going to the output app. This is on an iPhone 7 Plus running iOS 9.3.

That's a bug.
    We'll look into this asap. Sorry!

• @cyril777 said:
    I'm trying to work with StepPolyArp and Thumbjam : if I launch StepPolyArp in the MIDI section (as a sender) and Thumbjam as a receiver, Audiobus open automatically Thumbjam in the AUDIO section too, which is nice, but its icon stays gray (in the audio pipe) : is it because Thumbjam is not "officially" updated for Audiobus 3 ? And if this is the case, should we drop the midi section of Audiobus 3 when working with non updated apps ?

You can use non-updated apps in the Midi section. You will just have to launch them manually (with the tap to launch method).

• edited April 2017

@Sebastian said:

@cyril777 said:
    I'm trying to work with StepPolyArp and Thumbjam : if I launch StepPolyArp in the MIDI section (as a sender) and Thumbjam as a receiver, Audiobus open automatically Thumbjam in the AUDIO section too, which is nice, but its icon stays gray (in the audio pipe) : is it because Thumbjam is not "officially" updated for Audiobus 3 ? And if this is the case, should we drop the midi section of Audiobus 3 when working with non updated apps ?

You can use non-updated apps in the Midi section. You will just have to launch them manually (with the tap to launch method).

Hi, congrats on the release!

Thumbjam (in the midi output slot) won't receive midi from steppolyarp, and stays grayed-out in the midi window, however is active in the audio window. Steppolyarp (as midi input source) receiving from an external keyboard, but port selection is bound to 'audiobus'. (Same in the midi-filter slot.)

Therefore placing both apps (thumbjam & steppolyarp) into ab3's audio input slots, and one can select the midi inputs (external keyboard, or its own keyboard) for steppolyarp to send to thumbjam as workaround.

• @kgmessier said:

@Lady_App_titude said:

Check the last post of the thread:

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/18107/audiobus-2-paid-upgrade-option-to-audiobus-3

Yes, I posted this before I had seen that thread. All that appears to have transpired in just the few hours I was away from the list. Sorry if I am not as sanguine about things as others seem to be here. But I get it. Moving on...

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@MonzoPro said:

@hellquist said:

@Enkerli said:

@JohannesD said:

Yep!

I slept on my potential snap purchase of SPA last night due to my judgment being clouded by app buying frenzy.

Having checked out the demos you have shaken me off the fence, looks like a lot of fun.

• edited April 2017

@Sebastian said:

@cyril777 said:

It worked here by putting both steppolyarp and thumbjam side by side into the audio input slot. (Selecting an eventual midi source like an external keyboard and midi out to thumbjam inside steppolyarp.)

• wimwim
    edited April 2017

@Lady_App_titude said:
    ... but to offer zero discount to existing users is almost unheard of, at least in the desktop world.

So are apps that are of this magnitude which only cost $9.99.

• @wim said:

@Lady_App_titude said:
    ... but to offer zero discount to existing users is almost unheard of, at least in the desktop world.

So are apps that are of this magnitude which only cost $9.99.

It is as an update to an existing app, not a whole new app. But I feel constrained in the ability to fully express the details of this topic, so best to just move on.

• edited April 2017

@TheVimFuego said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@MonzoPro said:

@hellquist said:

@Enkerli said:

@JohannesD said:

Yep!

I slept on my potential snap purchase of SPA last night due to my judgment being clouded by app buying frenzy.

Having checked out the demos you have shaken me off the fence, looks like a lot of fun.

In that push-you pull-me between utility and capability I think SPA is the best of the bunch (for me). Maybe Xynth runs it (differently) close.

• Congrats Gabriel, Michael, and Sebastian!

• @Lady_App_titude said:
    ... But I feel constrained in the ability to fully express the details of this topic, so best to just move on.

Oooohhh! I like that one! I'm going to use that one in my next meeting with my boss. B)

I do get what you're saying in principle - wuz just trying to put it into perspective. Peace. :smile:

• edited April 2017

https://audiob.us/apps/capability/ab3 is an impressive launch list!

It's also cool that before long https://audiob.us/apps/capability/aux and https://audiob.us/apps/midi will be the most comprehensive/authoritative lists around. Out of curiosity, does a developer have to update their app to update their categories with regard to the filters on that page? Along those lines, does /midi only refer to apps with the AB3 SDK's MIDI implementation or can any existing AB app with MIDI be listed there?

• I really don't get why some people are complaining about paying €10 for a substantial expansion of AB's functionality. €10, come on, are you kidding? And it's not even like we're being charged that every year. They do need to eat and there's not much else that will generate income for these devs. And nobody is being forced to upgrade at all.

• When I open midi input only soundprism link edition shows up (I have other apps that provide midi in/out) and it says port unavailable, any time I try and route anything through midi the app just crashes. On iPhone 6 Plus, just wanted to give everyone fair warning.

• Congrats to the AB team on an landmark new release! Maybe I'm a simpleton but just having the apps automatically load in the background is enough for me (without even getting into all the cool new MIDI stuff, which works as simply and elegantly as advertised). Well done...