Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Audiobus 3 is live!

Comments

• @Nicebutfun said:
    Nice work guys
    You now have my money
    Spend it wisely and keep making my life better

Ditto.

• @kgmessier said:

@Artmuzz said:
    I am a bit disappointed that I have to purchase this as a new app instead of a free update to Audiobus 2.

Yeah, why wouldn't the Audiobus team just give this stuff away?

@AndyPlankton said:
    All your hard work.

Oh, right. That's why. ;)

@kgmessier said:

@Artmuzz said:
    I am a bit disappointed that I have to purchase this as a new app instead of a free update to Audiobus 2.

@AndyPlankton said:
    All your hard work.

Hahaha. All of this work and it only costs you 10 bucks. That is a bargain.

• @Sebastian said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:
    Purchased alongside with midiflow for ab3.

Did the same. Hoping @JohannesD will release a chorder, at some point, but it’s fun to play with the current apps.

@gonekrazy3000 also said:
    @Sebastian is there a list of all the new filter apps that insert like midiflow ?

To which @Sebastian said:

Good thinking! Hope the list will expand in the near future.

• Bought!
    Have high hopes this would music making on iOS. Yay!!

• Does AB3 allow you to select which USB channel outputs audio to your interface? My interface (Line 6 Helix) automatically treats USB 1/2 as the monitor channel, so I need to be able to move the output signal to USB 3/4 (or other channels) to be able to process them in the Helix.

• Congrats to all involved! AB3 looks great and seems to be everything I'd hoped for. And the MIDIflow utilities look like a treat as well. Fun times ahead y'all.

• Hello @Sebastian, thank you (+ friends) for Audiobus 3! Some (minor) problems/questions to mention:

• after disconnectinga a MIDI-destination-app (fi. Sunrizer) in the MIDI-tab, that disconnected app is still visble as a Source in the AUDIO-tab - is that by design?
    • a Midi-Panic button is really necessary, especially for AU-instruments that don't have such a button; I tried the iSymphonic AU as a MIDI-reciever for FugeMachine (via some MidiFlow-apps) and it was hanging notes all over the place.... (idem with Sunrizer, but that app has it's own 'panic');
    • in Audiobus 3 several synth-apps that I own aren't 'visible' anymore as a MIDI-reciever; f.i. Nave, Mitosynth, Thor (etc.), while other 'old' synth-apps like Addictive Synth, Galileo Organ, Magellan, Sunrizer (etc.) are... How come?
    • and lastly: all the inputs of my iConnectAudio4+ are visible as AUDIO-source, but to select an Output I only see 'System Audio Output' (while I have 6 outputs for that audio-interface).
  • @Harro said:
    Hello @Sebastian, thank you (+ friends) for Audiobus 3! Some (minor) problems/questions to mention:

• after disconnectinga a MIDI-destination-app (fi. Sunrizer) in the MIDI-tab, that disconnected app is still visble as a Source in the AUDIO-tab - is that by design?

Yes. We didn't know if we should automatically remove audio generators that had been added automatically. Looks like we should.

• a Midi-Panic button is really necessary, especially for AU-instruments that don't have such a button; I tried the iSymphonic AU as a MIDI-reciever for FugeMachine (via some MidiFlow-apps) and it was hanging notes all over the place.... (idem with Sunrizer, but that app has it's own 'panic');

Noted. We could add that to the connection panel.

• in Audiobus 3 several synth-apps that I own aren't 'visible' anymore as a MIDI-reciever; f.i. Nave, Mitosynth, Thor (etc.), while other 'old' synth-apps like Addictive Synth, Galileo Organ, Magellan, Sunrizer (etc.) are... How come?
    • and lastly: all the inputs of my iConnectAudio4+ are visible as AUDIO-source, but to select an Output I only see 'System Audio Output' (while I have 6 outputs for that audio-interface).

The apps that don't show up seem to not have any IAA-instrument ports registered in our database. If they don't accept MIDI, we can't offer them as a MIDI output. Rolf Wöhrmann (Nave) knows about this but is currently too busy with other projects to update his apps. Thor has just received an update, so I guess I could ask Propellerheads to have a look at this.

• @TozBourne said:
    Congrats to all involved! AB3 looks great and seems to be everything I'd hoped for. And the MIDIflow utilities look like a treat as well. Fun times ahead y'all.

Thank you! Wouldn't believe how nice it is for me to hear that what we've been working on is well received by the people we made it for :)

• @Kiki_90291 said:
    Does AB3 allow you to select which USB channel outputs audio to your interface? My interface (Line 6 Helix) automatically treats USB 1/2 as the monitor channel, so I need to be able to move the output signal to USB 3/4 (or other channels) to be able to process them in the Helix.

Not yet but we're going to add that in one of the next updates.

• @Sebastian said:

@Harro said:
    Hello @Sebastian, thank you (+ friends) for Audiobus 3! Some (minor) problems/questions to mention:

Yes. We didn't know if we should automatically remove audio generators that had been added automatically. Looks like we should.

Well, I noticed that for first experiments with AB3 I mainly stayed on the MIDI-page and after changing MIDI-reciever-(synth)apps I am customed to delete an app that I don't use anymore in AB via doubletap on the iPad-Home-button,and swipe it away... But that's causing problems in AB3: I noticed empty (all white or transparant) icons in the AB3-sidebar and those icons became unresponsive, or reopened the AB itself. So this behaviour by design is more problematic then just a design-thing...

• In the fucking switzerland gives a fucking Problem to be come a iTunes Card to get ab3

• Ich könnte kotzen

• Watched the video and glad to see Mister Jakob is now working for you guys (all those proud 'we' and 'our' references :) ), but have to say I could do with an even simpler or step by step overview to really get the most out of your efforts....the more I learn about iOS the more stupid I seem to be becoming :)

• @Harro said:

@Sebastian said:

@Harro said:

Well, I noticed that for first experiments with AB3 I mainly stayed on the MIDI-page and after changing MIDI-reciever-(synth)apps I am customed to delete an app that I don't use anymore in AB via doubletap on the iPad-Home-button,and swipe it away... But that's causing problems in AB3: I noticed empty (all white or transparant) icons in the AB3-sidebar and those icons became unresponsive, or reopened the AB itself. So this behaviour by design is more problematic then just a design-thing...

Hmm, that's odd. Could you contact me via our support portal and give me a step-by-step walkthrough? Here's the Link: https://audiobus.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    Watched the video and glad to see Mister Jakob is now working for you guys (all those proud 'we' and 'our' references :) ), but have to say I could do with an even simpler or step by step overview to really get the most out of your efforts....the more I learn about iOS the more stupid I seem to be becoming :)

I'm incredibly stupid when it comes to MIDI - would like a nice gentle vid showing the (included) MIDI features.

• @MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:
    Watched the video and glad to see Mister Jakob is now working for you guys (all those proud 'we' and 'our' references :) ), but have to say I could do with an even simpler or step by step overview to really get the most out of your efforts....the more I learn about iOS the more stupid I seem to be becoming :)

I'm incredibly stupid when it comes to MIDI - would like a nice gentle vid showing the (included) MIDI features.

Yeah. We'd be in that remedial classroom in the back, although I'd guess there would be a few more with us there than you might think. Especially once you get past the fellows here who like to swim in the deeper waters (in other words to the bigger pond of potential buyers etc).

• Wonderful release!

Sounds like you'll be adding access to external interface outs soon - that will be welcome. Currently using an ICA4, so believe I'm still tied to MiMix for that functionality now.

Also, regarding Midi connection paths - once created, the 4 letter designations for each input/output can become somewhat confusing if I need to re-edit one of them. Using the ICA4, original device Midi path names all start with 'IconnectAudio...', so all inputs and outputs from that device in AB3 end up reading as only 'Icon'. It would be helpful to have the ability to widen/expand a particular path so I could read the full midi device names while making any modifications.

• @rad3d said:
    Wonderful release!

Sounds like you'll be adding access to external interface outs soon - that will be welcome. Currently using an ICA4, so believe I'm still tied to MiMix for that functionality now.

Also, regarding Midi connection paths - once created, the 4 letter designations for each input/output can become somewhat confusing if I need to re-edit one of them. Using the ICA4, original device Midi path names all start with 'IconnectAudio...', so all inputs and outputs from that device in AB3 end up reading as only 'Icon'. It would be helpful to have the ability to widen/expand a particular path so I could read the full midi device names while making any modifications.

Great feedback. Adding it to our to-do list.

• edited April 2017

Uuppss....this was already posted on page 1. Deleted

• edited April 2017

@Pegleg85 said:

@kgmessier said:

@Artmuzz said:

@AndyPlankton said:
    All your hard work.

@kgmessier said:

@Artmuzz said:

@AndyPlankton said:
    All your hard work.

Hahaha. All of this work and it only costs you 10 bucks. That is a bargain.

Ok, it's understandable but there could of been a discount to upgrade to version 3 for fellow audiobus 2 users like what happens when upgrading to Auria Pro. Still I admire the hard work that went into this app.

• Shit, is the new version of Reason discounted down from a tenner? I've gotta get involved with this!!

• @Enkerli said

Did the same. Hoping @JohannesD will release a chorder, at some point, but it’s fun to play with the current apps.

Am I misunderstanding the MidiFlow info video with Johannes? To me it definitely looks like he sets the keyboard app to playing Chords...? He plays wonderfully as well. I haven't gotten to my iPad yet so haven't purchased it yet, but that looked like a great functionality I was thinking. Or am I misunderstanding your definition of "chorder" perhaps? :)

• I think he is talking about an app that creates chords based on incoming single notes from a keyboard or a sequencer. The keyboard app is a chord keyboard, but it cannot make chords based on MIDI.

Btw. You can get a chorder functionality already now: Create three routes in audiobus from the same input to the same output. In the second and third route, put the Transposer and after that the Scales app. Set the note shifts in Transposer to +3 and +7. In the Scales app, select "ionian" (or any other) as scale for both filter instances. That's it. Just tried that a couple of days ago and its really fun. :)

• @JohannesD said:
    I think he is talking about an app that creates chords based on incoming single notes from a keyboard or a sequencer. The keyboard app is a chord keyboard, but it cannot make chords based on MIDI.

Btw. You can get a chorder functionality already now: Create three routes in audiobus from the same input to the same output. In the second and third route, put the Transposer and after that the Scales app. Set the note shifts in Transposer to +3 and +7. In the Scales app, select "ionian" (or any other) as scale for both filter instances. That's it. Just tried that a couple of days ago and its really fun. :)

Make a video about that. That's nuts. :D

• edited April 2017

@Sebastian said:

@JohannesD said:
    I think he is talking about an app that creates chords based on incoming single notes from a keyboard or a sequencer. The keyboard app is a chord keyboard, but it cannot make chords based on MIDI.

Make a video about that. That's nuts. :D

In combination with the randomiser you would also get 1st and 2nd inversion and sus chords thrown in at random. Sounds cool as hell! (I don't know the randomiser functionality well but I'm guessing you could have it randomise up/down by specifically a tone or semi tone or something like that?)

• Hi,
    Thanks you for your fantastic work ! What about Remote ? When I launch it on my other iPad it says I've got to update it but there's no update for Remote on the AppStore... is it coming later ?

• @JohannesD said:
    I think he is talking about an app that creates chords based on incoming single notes from a keyboard or a sequencer.

Yep!
    Should have called it “harmonizer”, maybe. My not-so-secret dream is that it could create different chords.

Thought about that and was trying to test it but got lost having fun driving Filtatron cutoff frequency through breath (didn’t realize Filtatron took MIDI CC!).

Will try it now, for realz. Sure can be fun. It’s the same trick in Ableton (send chord effect through scale). Supposedly, it means all the chord notes will be in scale, unlike having the same chord structure on every note. Pretty useful. But chorders can be more flexible than this.

• @Enkerli said:

@JohannesD said:
    I think he is talking about an app that creates chords based on incoming single notes from a keyboard or a sequencer.

Yep!
    Should have called it “harmonizer”, maybe. My not-so-secret dream is that it could create different chords.

Thought about that and was trying to test it but got lost having fun driving Filtatron cutoff frequency through breath (didn’t realize Filtatron took MIDI CC!).

Will try it now, for realz. Sure can be fun. It’s the same trick in Ableton (send chord effect through scale). Supposedly, it means all the chord notes will be in scale, unlike having the same chord structure on every note. Pretty useful. But chorders can be more flexible than this.

I predict wild combinations of the new Midiflow apps, StepPolyArp (and probably/possibly also involving ChordPolyPad) along with Fugue Machine and other sequencers causing mayhem in a pair of headphones near me in the very near future. That panic button might be a life saver. :)

• I'm trying to work with StepPolyArp and Thumbjam : if I launch StepPolyArp in the MIDI section (as a sender) and Thumbjam as a receiver, Audiobus open automatically Thumbjam in the AUDIO section too, which is nice, but its icon stays gray (in the audio pipe) : is it because Thumbjam is not "officially" updated for Audiobus 3 ? And if this is the case, should we drop the midi section of Audiobus 3 when working with non updated apps ?