Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

SUN VOX: Unwrapping the mysteries..............

Comments

• @Littlewoodg said:

@DCJ said:
    So glad this thread got a bump. I’ve since gotten into sunvox HEAVY. It’s really not as complicated as I thought it would be. Incredibly powerful. Only track I used before this is renoise, which I liked but never loved. I actually prefer using sunvox on iOS over the comp.

Agreed lately I’ve been wondering how I could’ve spent hundreds of dollars on stuff that doesn’t do as much as a $6 masterpiece

The modularity.,.not only in sound design/control but song building and sequencing. Nothing like it in iOS

Totally. Don’t you also wonder why it’s free on everything except iOS and Android? I’m not complaining I think it’s worth more than the price, but very interesting from a developer’s perspective.

• edited February 2018

@DCJ said:

@Littlewoodg said:

@DCJ said:
    So glad this thread got a bump. I’ve since gotten into sunvox HEAVY. It’s really not as complicated as I thought it would be. Incredibly powerful. Only track I used before this is renoise, which I liked but never loved. I actually prefer using sunvox on iOS over the comp.

Agreed lately I’ve been wondering how I could’ve spent hundreds of dollars on stuff that doesn’t do as much as a $6 masterpiece

The modularity.,.not only in sound design/control but song building and sequencing. Nothing like it in iOS

Totally. Don’t you also wonder why it’s free on everything except iOS and Android? I’m not complaining I think it’s worth more than the price, but very interesting from a developer’s perspective.

The coding wizards that put out brilliant free stuff have always amazed me. Seems to be an act of real love. I hope selling the apps keeps him rolling.

• @Proppa said:
    These tutorials helped demystify quite a bit and conceptually simplify the overall structure of S_nV_x. (I really believe that a good amount of the Daunting is due to the UI / background).

S_nV_x can be (for example and by no means limited to) a truly nuanced drum machine should you connect with Tracker style input.

Tanks for those links!

• @DCJ said:

I swear one day I will do what I need to and learn this......

• I deleted it - one of the few apps I purchased but deleted. I love the sound but I can't stand the tracker interface. It works for some but I hated them in the 90's so they're especially obnoxious now.

• @Daveypoo said:
    I deleted it - one of the few apps I purchased but deleted. I love the sound but I can't stand the tracker interface. It works for some but I hated them in the 90's so they're especially obnoxious now.

I only use the tracker for very simple sequences, something to keep time. Everything else is either recorded in real time or MIDI sent from AudioShare or another app.

• It pairs well with Patterning. Any midi sequencer I guess, but that’s my favourite one.

As for the tracker, it’s much easier to get going with a qwerty keyboard (and SunVox is free on the desktop of course). I usually have a few simple tracker loops going when designing sounds / building rigs, then with metamodules it’s easy to bring in old work on new projects.

The new update’s 90% done, so hopefully we’ll see that in a month or two...

• I always see people complaining about SunVox being a Tracker. I don’t like Trackers either, it’s a really painful way to sequence for me. I’ve used it for quick drum loops before though. I just move that screen away and don’t look at it, usually. SunVox does a lot more than that. It’s one of the most stable Multi-sample instrument hosts on iOS for example. I wish it wasn’t a Generator to make it easier to use in AUM. I don’t use it as much anymore, but it was my second paid music app. I wanted my own multisample instruments on my phone before I had an iPad.

• @DCJ said:

Probably because Apple charges developers who want to give stuff away for free. He needs to recoup his costs.

• @Daveypoo said:
    I deleted it - one of the few apps I purchased but deleted. I love the sound but I can't stand the tracker interface. It works for some but I hated them in the 90's so they're especially obnoxious now.

It's a fabulous modular synth. No need to even use the tracker.

• Couple of things I want to learn in SunVox:

1. How to record a linear sequence instead of doing a New Pattern and recording MIDI to the pattern.
    2. How to save and recall presets for specific modules so I don't have to recreate a synth preset from scratch every time I start a new Project.
  • @Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr said:

@Daveypoo said:

It's a fabulous modular synth. No need to even use the tracker.

No doubt - not bashing the app at all. Just bashing my ability (or inability) to use it!

• @Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr said:

@DCJ said:

Probably because Apple charges developers who want to give stuff away for free. He needs to recoup his costs.

Yeah this was posted before I learned about the App Store hurdles. Totally makes sense now.

• @GovernorSilver said:
    Couple of things I want to learn in SunVox:

1. How to record a linear sequence instead of doing a New Pattern and recording MIDI to the pattern.

Just hit record and start playing.

1. How to save and recall presets for specific modules so I don't have to recreate a synth preset from scratch every time I start a new Project.

You can save a module with all it's controller values then load it back in. That's the nearest I can get to thinking about presets.

• @GovernorSilver said:

2. How to save and recall presets for specific modules so I don't have to recreate a synth preset from scratch every time I start a new Project.
    1. Just press the record button (icon) and play away, either with the onscreen keyboard or a midi one. You can edit/tame what you catch like any pattern that you’ve ‘typed’ in. I’ve not quite sussed out the hexadecimal microtiming codes, but there’s a lot of tweakability there.

2. Select the module you want to keep, tap the ‘3 lines’ icon in the top right corner of this section to get to the ‘Modules (routing)’ menu, then ‘Save’. Name it and save it and you’ll get a ‘.sunsynth’ file in your presets folder, which you can use whenever you like.

This works with metamodules too, which are amazingly powerful. You can open ‘.sunvox’ files (whole projects) as single modules, go into them to edit/trim the fat, then set up macros for specific controls that you might want to tweak on the fly (e.g. filters, volumes, delay amounts etc.) then resave them as sunsynths. They’re similar to Ableton’s instrument racks or Reason’s Combinator patches.

• edited July 2018

@Jocphone said:

@GovernorSilver said:

1. How to save and recall presets for specific modules so I don't have to recreate a synth preset from scratch every time I start a new Project.

You can save a module with all it's controller values then load it back in. That's the nearest I can get to thinking about presets.

I'll give #1 a try then. For some reason, it wasn't covered in Solar Lune's tutorial videos.

Number 2 was also not mentioned. I'll try to find the save module function.

Thanks!

• @GovernorSilver said:

@Jocphone said:

@GovernorSilver said:

I'll give #1 a try then. For some reason, it wasn't covered in Solar Lune's tutorial videos.

Thanks!

@tomato_juice did a better job of describing both.

• @Jocphone said:

@GovernorSilver said:

@Jocphone said:

@GovernorSilver said:

Thanks!

You gave straightforward answers to straightforward questions @Jocphone

I only started with SunVox this year (March, maybe?) but it makes sense to me and I admire it. Zolotov's a genius.

• @tomato_juice said:

@Jocphone said:

@GovernorSilver said:

@Jocphone said:

@GovernorSilver said:

Thanks!

You gave straightforward answers to straightforward questions @Jocphone

I only started with SunVox this year (March, maybe?) but it makes sense to me and I admire it. Zolotov's a genius.

Very kind of you but you did a better job of it.

You are obviously a quick learner. Took me six months to get started.
    Now though I find it easy to try out new synth effects with. The meta-modules is the aspect that makes it work for me but I have also started playing with some East Coast synth techniques which adds a new layer to the experiments.

• edited July 2018

@Jocphone said:

@GovernorSilver said:

@Jocphone said:

@GovernorSilver said:

Thanks!

I'll dig back into the thread archive to see what tomato_juice said about linear sequencing and saving/loading module "presets". I know tomato_juice mentioned metamodules.. Thanks!

• @GovernorSilver said:

@Jocphone said:

@GovernorSilver said:

@Jocphone said:

@GovernorSilver said:

Thanks!

I'll dig back into the thread archive to see what tomato_juice said about linear sequencing and saving/loading module "presets". I know tomato_juice mentioned metamodules.. Thanks!

It should hopefully make sense when you’re digging in there @GovernorSilver

East coast experiments sound cool @Jocphone — I’ve kept things fairly vanilla so far with subtractive and fm setups for the most part. Delays and feedback, saturation and filter banks, faux-analog warbliness and bit of sampling, although I know I haven't pushed it very hard. My brain seems to be stuck in decimal, not hex, but I find it playful rather than intimidating. Like Lego.

• @tomato_juice said:

@GovernorSilver said:

@Jocphone said:

@GovernorSilver said:

@Jocphone said:

@GovernorSilver said:

Thanks!

East coast experiments sound cool @Jocphone — I’ve kept things fairly vanilla so far with subtractive and fm setups for the most part. Delays and feedback, saturation and filter banks, faux-analog warbliness and bit of sampling, although I know I haven't pushed it very hard. My brain seems to be stuck in decimal, not hex, but I find it playful rather than intimidating. Like Lego.

I went back and looked through the four pages of this thread. I don't get when Jocophone meant by "tomato_juice did a better job of describing both." other than your metamodule comment.

Well, I'll try the linear sequencing then look for the save module function.

• @GovernorSilver said:

@tomato_juice said:

@GovernorSilver said:

@Jocphone said:

@GovernorSilver said:

@Jocphone said:

@GovernorSilver said:

Thanks!

I went back and looked through the four pages of this thread. I don't get when Jocophone meant by "tomato_juice did a better job of describing both." other than your metamodule comment.

Well, I'll try the linear sequencing then look for the save module function.

You can either save a Module on the upper right side tab where the modules are, or you can save the entire project in the very top left and load that into a MetaModule. The MetaModule is very powerful. I was really glad after the update that added it.

• Found this older post by @Littlewoodg - summarizes a bunch of SunVox possibilities:
    https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/27704/pre-sunvox-as-auv3-how-are-you-using-sunvox-in-ab-3-1-and-or-aum

I'm lagging on this thing but I do need to start learning this MetaModule stuff - otherwise, every time I work on a new SunVox project, if I want to reuse a sound that I like, I have to repeat the process of loading up a module, setting the parameters to where I want them, then loading up the next module to patch to the first, one, etc etc etc

• Generative music demo by the man himself - some fun mysteries to solve here

• @GovernorSilver said:
    Found this older post by @Littlewoodg - summarizes a bunch of SunVox possibilities:
    https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/27704/pre-sunvox-as-auv3-how-are-you-using-sunvox-in-ab-3-1-and-or-aum

I'm lagging on this thing but I do need to start learning this MetaModule stuff - otherwise, every time I work on a new SunVox project, if I want to reuse a sound that I like, I have to repeat the process of loading up a module, setting the parameters to where I want them, then loading up the next module to patch to the first, one, etc etc etc

Yeah, in particular the meta-module 'management' is still a bit of a pita in SunVox especially when one has already set up a few instruments and realises it would have been better to put them inside a meta-module as there is no easy way to select a bunch of modules and do a copy & paste into a meta module or do a 'transform selection to meta-module'. Using meta-modules is the only way to let a pattern trigger another pattern as an example.

• @Samu yeah, a way to select multiple modules is really a glaring omission, thought that a million times... odd given how complete and sophisticated the app is otherwise.

• @Samu said:

@GovernorSilver said:
    Found this older post by @Littlewoodg - summarizes a bunch of SunVox possibilities:

Yeah, in particular the meta-module 'management' is still a bit of a pita in SunVox especially when one has already set up a few instruments and realises it would have been better to put them inside a meta-module as there is no easy way to select a bunch of modules and do a copy & paste into a meta module or do a 'transform selection to meta-module'. Using meta-modules is the only way to let a pattern trigger another pattern as an example.

Meta modules are SunVox projects. They’re (built and) saved that way as projects then loaded into projects as new metamodules.
    Maybe I’m misunderstanding the issue

• @Littlewoodg what if you've noticed that you've just constructed a great synth INSIDE AN ALREADY EXISTING project, and THEN want to save THAT synth's modules alone to a new MetaModule (IMHO, the most frequent situation you'd actually be in regarding new MetaModules!)?

• @SevenSystems said:
    @Littlewoodg what if you've noticed that you've just constructed a great synth INSIDE AN ALREADY EXISTING project, and THEN want to save THAT synth's modules alone to a new MetaModule (IMHO, the most frequent situation you'd actually be in regarding new MetaModules!)?

Another case might when there's a need to 'nest' multiple modules into one module for control-purposes, creating auto-play arpeggio instruments or other instrument automations or maybe de-construct a loop and make it a playable instrument etc. etc.

Needless to say multi-level instrument creation is time consuming since one needs to break it down all the elements that might need a separate nested meta-modules...