Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

SUN VOX: Unwrapping the mysteries..............

Comments

• @lukesleepwalker said:
    If I recall the locals here insist it is pronounced "S_nV_x".

The logical criterion, or conceptual model, seems to have evolved as thus: If it is a thread actually about Sunvox, then we must refer to it by the full name Sunvox, for it is he.

If it is a thread about something totally different, but halfway through everybody looks at each other and realises they could have saved all the bother and just used Sunvox, but nobody's brave enough to want to be the first to mention this, then this classes as a special sub-case of Godwin's Law, in which our unique modified outcome states that all threads will eventually devolve into mentioning Sunvox.

This is why it is tip-toed around, nobody wants to just come straight out with it and say "of course you realise, if we'd actually started in sunvox instead…"

• So, can I control two instruments at the same time with the same MIDI keys? Say a saw Analog generator and a square Analog generator. Or is there a way to mix them together into one playable module?

• @oat_phipps said:
    So, can I control two instruments at the same time with the same MIDI keys? Say a saw Analog generator and a square Analog generator. Or is there a way to mix them together into one playable module?

Use a multisynth module for midi in and then connect that module to the synth modules you want to control

• @oat_phipps said:
    So, can I control two instruments at the same time with the same MIDI keys? Say a saw Analog generator and a square Analog generator. Or is there a way to mix them together into one playable module?

Use a MultiSynth, wire it up to both oscillators, wire both of those to the output.

• @Jocphone said:

@oat_phipps said:

Use a MultiSynth, wire it up to both oscillators, wire both of those to the output.

Thanks guys, figured it out on my own after browsing the modules. This thing is more tameable than it looks. Can't believe I was intimidated by it for so long.

• @>; @oat_phipps said:

@Jocphone said:

@oat_phipps said:

Thanks guys, figured it out on my own after browsing the modules. This thing is more tameable than it looks. Can't believe I was intimidated by it for so long.

You can actually build really interesting combos in SunVox, especially as you can combine different modules. You can get some really intriguing evolving things going, quite simply. I still have to learn the tracker part of it, but I have had it on my Top10 app list since I saw it, and it was one of my first iOS music apps I got.

• I just had another poke through it and somehow it seems doable now. Even the tracker part.

• The tracker part really baffles me. Ibalreadybunderstand the concept of connecting and adding stuff but I rather do the midi stuff on Cubasis or Inf Looper on iPhone. But if it was 16 channel midi in that would rock!

• @hellquist said:
    @>; @oat_phipps said:

@Jocphone said:

@oat_phipps said:

You can actually build really interesting combos in SunVox, especially as you can combine different modules. You can get some really intriguing evolving things going, quite simply. I still have to learn the tracker part of it, but I have had it on my Top10 app list since I saw it, and it was one of my first iOS music apps I got.

One way of combining modules, that's hard to find in iOS with a few scant exceptions, is using the multisynth to put together samplers with any of the several gen types. SunVox loads .wav, .ogg, and .xi, and with these combined with each other and/or combined with generators all kinds of interesting sounds can emerge Falcon style. Cool whether u use SunVox as a sound module, or if you go all in and make your songs inside...

• @MusicMan4Christ said:
    The tracker part really baffles me. Ibalreadybunderstand the concept of connecting and adding stuff but I rather do the midi stuff on Cubasis or Inf Looper on iPhone. But if it was 16 channel midi in that would rock!

It can import MIDI files. Don't know if that would help you though.

• @MusicMan4Christ said:
    The tracker part really baffles me. Ibalreadybunderstand the concept of connecting and adding stuff but I rather do the midi stuff on Cubasis or Inf Looper on iPhone. But if it was 16 channel midi in that would rock!

As I recently explored in a recent thread... if you have Zolotov's PixiTracker app... it's inexpensive $3 or you can download the desktop version for free/donation. It's VERY easy to use, but surprisingly powerful once you scratch the surface. It looks like a simple Space Invaders toy, but it's really more than that.

You can easily put something together in it, then name and export it from PixiTracker as an .xm file. Then, also from PixiTracker, export to wifi. It will give you a 192... url. Enter that into your Safari browser and you'll see your new PixiTracker .xm file. Then, you can "Open In" to SunVox.

You will then see that whole thing already set up as a SunVox project, with modules, an output, your sounds, etc. along with the tracker already filled out with all your values. It's very easy and you can then associate how what you did in PixiTracker looks vs how it's set up in SunVox's tracker.

This opened up the SunVox tracker for me and it made much more sense. I'd still rather set up the tracking in PIxiTracker first, because it's easier, but it also can serve to clarify how the SunVox tracker works too.

• @skiphunt is there a manual for pixi tracker? or maybe you can answer: what's the point of the little dropper icon?

• Thanks guys this SunVox little app truly bewilders me or intrigues me I should say. I will learn it. I'll get the apps it's actually a bundle for $2.99 if that helps me unlock Sunvox it's worth every cent!

• edited April 2017

@db909 said:
    @skiphunt is there a manual for pixi tracker? or maybe you can answer: what's the point of the little dropper icon?

Use the dropper to make an event play, and locate the event on the keyboard...in other words tap the dropper then tap the square that you want to check. The keyboard jumps to where that note is and lights up, and velo settings jump to its individual setting (each event can have a separate velocity) The dropper is nice for when you want to duplicate a note, (if you've forgotten which octave, step, or velo setting for example) first check it with dropper then when you go back to the pen you will be adding duplicates of that note.

• @skiphunt said:

@MusicMan4Christ said:

As I recently explored in a recent thread... if you have Zolotov's PixiTracker app... it's inexpensive $3 or you can download the desktop version for free/donation. It's VERY easy to use, but surprisingly powerful once you scratch the surface. It looks like a simple Space Invaders toy, but it's really more than that.

You can easily put something together in it, then name and export it from PixiTracker as an .xm file. Then, also from PixiTracker, export to wifi. It will give you a 192... url. Enter that into your Safari browser and you'll see your new PixiTracker .xm file. Then, you can "Open In" to SunVox.

You will then see that whole thing already set up as a SunVox project, with modules, an output, your sounds, etc. along with the tracker already filled out with all your values. It's very easy and you can then associate how what you did in PixiTracker looks vs how it's set up in SunVox's tracker.

This opened up the SunVox tracker for me and it made much more sense. I'd still rather set up the tracking in PIxiTracker first, because it's easier, but it also can serve to clarify how the SunVox tracker works too.

Thanks for this! I just created a neat track in PixiTracker and follwed the instructions and voila there it appears in Sunvox! Awesome...so is there a way to change or manipulate the sounds. I still feel like an infant with this app but this PixiTracker to Sunvox has given me hope. Thanks also to Littlewoodg

• @skiphunt said:

@MusicMan4Christ said:

Worked great thanks for the suggestion to use Pixitracker to Sunvox. It's given me hope
    Thanks also to Littlewoodg

• Thank you Littlewoodg and skiphunt for the PixiTracker to Sunvox proceedure. Works great.

• I am so enjoying this thread

THanks

• @Arpseechord said:
    Thank you Littlewoodg and skiphunt for the PixiTracker to Sunvox proceedure. Works great.

My pleasure :)

• @MusicMan4Christ said:
    The tracker part really baffles me.

Think of it the same way you would a midi clip or midi cc. You basically tell SunVox what to do along the timeline: play a note, control a module's parameter (like the oft used filter sweep), or pattern effects (http://www.warmplace.ru/wiki/sunvox:manual_en#pattern_effects).

To direct SunVox to the right place you use the columns: MM = specific module (for the aforementioned filter sweep, find the module number of the filter effect and enter it in this coulmn), and EE = specific control within a module (for example, the filter cutoff will have a specific number next to it, and enter that number in this column).

Then there are Pattern Effects in column EE, ones that do not direct SunVox to a particular module, but rather do things like set the BPM or set a note probability (see link above).

Then there is the value column, XXYY, in which you enter the value you want (again, like for a filter sweep).

It may seem complicated, but it's really rather simple when you realize what's going on. Probably doesn't help that a hexadecimal numeral system is used, but again those are just values, and the truth is you can get by with not using many of the features especially the pattern effects.

• SunVox has officially made it out of a folder and onto my home screen. It joins the Moogs, Patterning, AUM, and Auria. Seriously impressive, and great sounding.

• @1P18 said:

@MusicMan4Christ said:
    The tracker part really baffles me.

Think of it the same way you would a midi clip or midi cc. You basically tell SunVox what to do along the timeline: play a note, control a module's parameter (like the oft used filter sweep), or pattern effects (http://www.warmplace.ru/wiki/sunvox:manual_en#pattern_effects).

To direct SunVox to the right place you use the columns: MM = specific module (for the aforementioned filter sweep, find the module number of the filter effect and enter it in this coulmn), and EE = specific control within a module (for example, the filter cutoff will have a specific number next to it, and enter that number in this column).

Then there are Pattern Effects in column EE, ones that do not direct SunVox to a particular module, but rather do things like set the BPM or set a note probability (see link above).

Then there is the value column, XXYY, in which you enter the value you want (again, like for a filter sweep).

It may seem complicated, but it's really rather simple when you realize what's going on. Probably doesn't help that a hexadecimal numeral system is used, but again those are just values, and the truth is you can get by with not using many of the features especially the pattern effects.

Consider me nudged, I'm going to make more use of SunVox, it has an obscure Boffin-appealing quality I gravitate towards.

• I had a breakthrough with Sunvox and it turned out to be the smallest thing i missed

Right from the start i've found the tracker interface clunky to say the least but today i realised i completely missed the select button which not only enables drag to select but also click directly in the tracker rather than scrolling through it

What a difference that made to me

• I'm just starting to use SunVox. I might be walking the Camino Frances in Spain for a week or so sometime this year, so in the interest of minimizing weight, the iPhone will probably be the only electronic device I'll bring. In addition, the iPhone is a bit old, so it makes sense to learn a powerful, yet light-on-the-CPU music creation environment like SunVox.

Currently learning to use it by following the Solar Lune tutorials and working on a simple tune in SunVox. My experience with the pattern editor seems to be the opposite of the previous poster's - navigating it by touching it directly and trying to drag on it was unwieldy at best, whereas using the directional controls to go up and down the pattern has been more reliable than dragging. I wish I could just touch a step and enter notes, controller messages, etc. more quickly but that might be asking too much of the app in the smaller iPhone screen.

• @GovernorSilver said:
    I'm just starting to use SunVox. I might be walking the Camino Frances in Spain for a week or so sometime this year, so in the interest of minimizing weight, the iPhone will probably be the only electronic device I'll bring. In addition, the iPhone is a bit old, so it makes sense to learn a powerful, yet light-on-the-CPU music creation environment like SunVox.

Currently learning to use it by following the Solar Lune tutorials and working on a simple tune in SunVox. My experience with the pattern editor seems to be the opposite of the previous poster's - navigating it by touching it directly and trying to drag on it was unwieldy at best, whereas using the directional controls to go up and down the pattern has been more reliable than dragging. I wish I could just touch a step and enter notes, controller messages, etc. more quickly but that might be asking too much of the app in the smaller iPhone screen.

I suspect that week will help you decide whether you can work with it. In all honesty it took me about 6 months to get comfortable making tunes with it. But then a lot of that was exploring the modular possibilities.

The Solar Lune videos are a great introduction though.

• By the time I will be on the Camino Frances, it will be too late to learn SunVox, because we'll be walking it, trying to get our Compostelas. :smile: I'll most likely be using it while waiting at airports and bus terminals, maybe at at somebody's albergue or a campsite.

Took me a full day to work through several Solar Lune tutorials and start on my goth-sounding tune. Got a couple of pattern for drums and bass arranged for it anyway.

• I don't know when they were introduced, but SunVox now comes with template projects. I used a template to get started more quickly with my tune.

• So glad this thread got a bump. I’ve since gotten into sunvox HEAVY. It’s really not as complicated as I thought it would be. Incredibly powerful. Only track I used before this is renoise, which I liked but never loved. I actually prefer using sunvox on iOS over the comp.

• @DCJ said:
    So glad this thread got a bump. I’ve since gotten into sunvox HEAVY. It’s really not as complicated as I thought it would be. Incredibly powerful. Only track I used before this is renoise, which I liked but never loved. I actually prefer using sunvox on iOS over the comp.

Agreed lately I’ve been wondering how I could’ve spent hundreds of dollars on stuff that doesn’t do as much as a $6 masterpiece

The modularity.,.not only in sound design/control but song building and sequencing. Nothing like it in iOS

• It is the only app (music or otherwise) that I’ve ever actually paid money for on Android, for my phone. All other apps on Android since I’ve had an android phone have only ever been free apps. Except, as I say, SunVox.