Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

SUN VOX: Unwrapping the mysteries..............

Comments

• @Jocphone said:

@db909 said:

@u0421793 said:

@yug said:

@jn2002dk said:

@yug said:
    I have a stupid question :) How do I scroll the list of module parameters at the left? I tried everything and it just keeps changing the parameter value instead of scrolling down, and I can't access the bottom part of the list that's not visible.

I know I can tap V at the top to make the list more compact but it also makes it more confusing

Don't know if you can scroll it, but you can grab the vertical bar on the right of the parameters and drag it up to make the window larger

Yeah, I know but, unfortunately, it's still not large enough

Push the bar up as well as to the side.

This is the problem right here in a nutshell.

And the solution. Just because a UI tries something different, doesn't make it bad.

True this. What I found with SunVox's single page GUI was that what slowed me down at first made things faster than any other GUI I've used in iOS...NightRadio's own demo videos show this, things get done at a mind-blowing speed.

• @Littlewoodg said:

@Jocphone said:

@db909 said:

@u0421793 said:

@yug said:

@jn2002dk said:

@yug said:
    I have a stupid question :) How do I scroll the list of module parameters at the left? I tried everything and it just keeps changing the parameter value instead of scrolling down, and I can't access the bottom part of the list that's not visible.

I know I can tap V at the top to make the list more compact but it also makes it more confusing

Don't know if you can scroll it, but you can grab the vertical bar on the right of the parameters and drag it up to make the window larger

This is the problem right here in a nutshell.

And the solution. Just because a UI tries something different, doesn't make it bad.

True this. What I found with SunVox's single page GUI was that what slowed me down at first made things faster than any other GUI I've used in iOS...NightRadio's own demo videos show this, things get done at a mind-blowing speed.

Took me the longest time to warm up to the SunVox interface, but once it finally sunk in that the entire thing is completely dynamic, and that you can temporarily push want you don't need out of the way, then pinch/zoom or scale the specific sectors you want to work on, it all came together for me.

The only part that I didn't really like was the vertical tracker interface, but I'm even starting to like that part too. And, now being able to easily get the basics down in PixiTracker and easily export as .xm into SunVox with everything already set up as a complete project and ready to play or edit further... awesome.

When you really think of everything it's doing and can do, how lightweight it is, and that it's also multi device as well as multi platform for so little money too... its very impressive.

• @u0421793 said:

@yug said:

@jn2002dk said:

@yug said:

Still not large enough. See the attached image

• @yug said:

@u0421793 said:

@yug said:

@jn2002dk said:

@yug said:

Still not large enough. See the attached image

Just push the bar up a little higher.

• I can't, that's as high as it goes

• @yug said:
    I can't, that's as high as it goes

Works on my phone. What device are you using?

• @Jocphone said:

@yug said:

iPad 2.

Just realised how to do it - if I switch to portrait mode, I can see everything without scrolling :)

• I like the interface on a computer. On the iPad/phone I've never worked out how to use the tracker efficiently. I'd love a video showing a good workflow for using the tracker on a touchscreen (unless he's finally implemented Bluetooth QWERTY keyboard).

• @yug said:

@Jocphone said:

@yug said:

iPad 2.

Just realised how to do it - if I switch to portrait mode, I can see everything without scrolling :)

Also the little "V" in the upper window of Module parameters switches views to a more horizontal array...(someone mentioned this probably)

• @cian said:
    I like the interface on a computer. On the iPad/phone I've never worked out how to use the tracker efficiently. I'd love a video showing a good workflow for using the tracker on a touchscreen (unless he's finally implemented Bluetooth QWERTY keyboard).

I don't think the tracker workflow can ever match using it with a mouse and keyboard. The good news though, is you can export from Pixitracker to Sunvox and Pixitracker is very smooth on a touchscreen

Between importing midi files and Pixitracker exports, i pretty much never touch the tracker part on iOS

• @Littlewoodg said:
    In terms of UI sizing, its also worth looking at the scale settings (Preferences/Interface/Scale)...you can rescale buttons and labels...

Thanks for this! I reduced the Button/Font scale from 256 to 224 and it did the trick - now the list fits everything even when in landscape

• @Jocphone said:

@High5denied said:
    I don't get it, I can't figure out what to do with it.

As I remember it, you are primarily a guitarist? If so, one way you can treat unVo is like a bunch of guitar/effects pedals. If you download this file into Su_Vo_, make sure to save it from Sun_o_ and then add it as an effect in AudioBus. after that you can plug a sound source in to the AB input slot and play around with the settings on this very simple patch.

I often use it as a multieffect unit that I play live into, which I have documented in this video some time ago:

• @yug said:

@Littlewoodg said:
    In terms of UI sizing, its also worth looking at the scale settings (Preferences/Interface/Scale)...you can rescale buttons and labels...

Thanks for this! I reduced the Button/Font scale from 256 to 224 and it did the trick - now the list fits everything even when in landscape

Glad it worked for you...I found out about scaling for the opposite reason: needed bigger buttons and fonts for my failing eyesight....

• @hellquist said:

@Jocphone said:

@High5denied said:

As I remember it, you are primarily a guitarist? If so, one way you can treat unVo is like a bunch of guitar/effects pedals. If you download this file into Su_Vo_, make sure to save it from Sun_o_ and then add it as an effect in AudioBus. after that you can plug a sound source in to the AB input slot and play around with the settings on this very simple patch.

I often use it as a multieffect unit that I play live into, which I have documented in this video some time ago:

Nice work! What are you using to record your screen action, and the titles? (Your work here looks so very nice it's got me thinking about shooting some tutorial material...)

• @hellquist said:

@Jocphone said:

@High5denied said:

It's a really useful tool for FX processing. Have been working solidly with SunVox since around Sept 15 but only just recently cottoned on to using it this way.

Have to agree with @Littlewoodg your video looks great and would appreciate some tips on how you made it.

• Thanks @Littlewoodg & @Jocphone :)
    Funny that, the latest video I did (LayR run through), the most common feedback I got: "skip those bloody titles, speak instead!" when I had been thinking I sound like an annoying dweeb with a Swedish accent and wanted to save everyone from that. I was thinking as I'm watching a video (sort of the main purpose of a video) I can also read at the same time. Horses for courses I guess.

Anyways, I'm doing screencasts with OSX software called ScreenFlow, which I decided on after careful investigation and testing of the alternatives. The titles I do in Final Cut Pro. It is not an AppStore version, and is a bit older, so am currently seriously considering moving it all to my iPad instead, as Lumafusion would be a more sensible purchase for me than a new AppStore licence for Final Cut Pro, as I don't use any of them for work, and I don't make any money from my videos, I only do them for fun and I guess self promotion in relation to my music, which I also haven't made money off, hehe. :)

One of the benefits of using ScreenFlow is that it is quite easy to combine a couple of video clips, so I can easily get "picture-in-picture" functionality, like I did in the LayR video ().

• Ok can anyone tell me if there is an option to enable my biggest grief with the interface. I would like to be able to change the value of a slider and use the on screen keyboard to make a sound at the same time. Is there a setting to enable this?

• @Fruitbat1919 said:
    Ok can anyone tell me if there is an option to enable my biggest grief with the interface. I would like to be able to change the value of a slider and use the on screen keyboard to make a sound at the same time. Is there a setting to enable this?

If you mean "changing value via on-screen adjustment" whilst playing the keyboard, I don't think you can. You can definitely do it when you have external controllers connected, pretty much anything/everything can be controlled via midi, but I don't think you can play and adjust at the same time via the screen. Sorry. Unless I've missed something (which isn't at all impossible).

• @hellquist said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:
    Ok can anyone tell me if there is an option to enable my biggest grief with the interface. I would like to be able to change the value of a slider and use the on screen keyboard to make a sound at the same time. Is there a setting to enable this?

If you mean "changing value via on-screen adjustment" whilst playing the keyboard, I don't think you can. You can definitely do it when you have external controllers connected, pretty much anything/everything can be controlled via midi, but I don't think you can play and adjust at the same time via the screen. Sorry. Unless I've missed something (which isn't at all impossible).

Nope you've not missed anything. You got exactly what I was asking.

• @hellquist said:

@Jocphone said:

@High5denied said:

Wow, thanks for this. I've only briefly looked at it. It looks very well done, and I think even someone as dense as me will get quite a lot out of it!

• @Fruitbat1919 said:

@hellquist said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

You probably already thought of the workaround: enter notes for the instrument, solo it and start the loop, play with sliders as loop continues

• @Littlewoodg said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

@hellquist said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

You probably already thought of the workaround: enter notes for the instrument, solo it and start the loop, play with sliders as loop continues

Yeah, not what I was after. I'm not trying to dis the app, it just doesn't work the way I feel comfortable. I can see its allure, just too many personal UI issues to overcome for myself to care. The only reason I posted, was in case it's me that's the problem and I'm just missing things, as often is the case ;)

• Guys I've always loved SunVox!!! What an awesome app and the sounds are endless too!!!
    Question: is there a way to drive the modules via midi from Cubasis on iPad or Inf Looper on iPhone?

Please sorry if asked before.

• Just noticed this in SunVox so it means we can send 4 different midi Channels?

• @MusicMan4Christ said:
    Guys I've always loved SunVox!!! What an awesome app and the sounds are endless too!!!
    Question: is there a way to drive the modules via midi from Cubasis on iPad or Inf Looper on iPhone?

Please sorry if asked before.

At the moment, it's limited

Check the following discussion: https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/11920/can-modstep-be-the-groovebox-of-my-dreams/p2

• @MusicMan4Christ said:
    Just noticed this in SunVox so it means we can send 4 different midi Channels?

SunVox actually makes for a better MIDI sequencer sending out MIDI to other apps than it does receiving MIDI input.

• @InfoCheck said:

@MusicMan4Christ said:
    Just noticed this in SunVox so it means we can send 4 different midi Channels?

SunVox actually makes for a better MIDI sequencer sending out MIDI to other apps than it does receiving MIDI input.

As a midi controller SunVox is actually really good. It has one killer feature which no one ever talks about (much like LayR's pitch bend only affects notes played, or held down, not sustained or ringing, but no one knows that) which is that you can change control area in SunVox and it will make a smooth shift to the new sound. Pretty sure Lefteris covers it in his video here:

• @hellquist nice video, SunVox can definitely reward those who take the time to learn how to use it as it can do lots of things and there are a lot of video tutorials like these that show you exactly how to do it.

• @InfoCheck said:
    @hellquist nice video, SunVox can definitely reward those who take the time to learn how to use it as it can do lots of things and there are a lot of video tutorials like these that show you exactly how to do it.

Indeed. Also, I know I've shared it before, but I think it is alright to share in this thread too, have a look at Lefteris other video, where he plays the intro to Lord Of The Rings. As can be seen, SunVox plays a pivotal role in this setup. :)